Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are desktop applications slowly dying? Web taking over...</br>

Options
  • 06-04-2017 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

As it says in the title.
    I'm wondering what's your thoughts on this??

It seems that the software market place is looking for more and more Web, Back-End Front-End, Fullstack developers.
    I'm a .NET Software Developer and even though I have worked on Web applications, Mobile applications, I would work mainly with Desktop/Windows applications.

Anytime I search for "C# Developer", ".NET Developer" etc. on job search engines, all that comes up is jobs looking for someone who knows ASP.NET, HTML5, CSS3, JQuery, Bootstrap etc.

It's hard looking for a job now as I don't enjoy Web Development but it seems as though that's all that's out there at the moment. If I had to work in Web, I think I'd be better suited as a back-end developer

So, what's your thoughts? Is web taking over?

MessageBox.Show("Thanks Guys!");

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

As it says in the title.
    I'm wondering what's your thoughts on this??

It seems that the software market place is looking for more and more Web, Back-End Front-End, Fullstack developers.
    I'm a .NET Software Developer and even though I have worked on Web applications, Mobile applications, I would work mainly with Desktop/Windows applications.

Anytime I search for "C# Developer", ".NET Developer" etc. on job search engines, all that comes up is jobs looking for someone who knows ASP.NET, HTML5, CSS3, JQuery, Bootstrap etc.

It's hard looking for a job now as I don't enjoy Web Development but it seems as though that's all that's out there at the moment. If I had to work in Web, I think I'd be better suited as a back-end developer

MessageBox.Show("Thanks Guys!");

alert("Yes, it is");
    console.log("has been for a while");

That said, not everything will move to the cloud, since you are restricted in terms of the amount of control a browser can have over the local machine versus a local application.
    Its certainly trendy and you can see the benefit of it....
    The whole idea of access anywhere has been gaining ground, so unfortunately not being in the office won't be an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

This is worth a look to answer your question:

https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Most of the recent recruitment in the very top end C++ talent has been in some internet based firm, even if not traditionally described as such. For example, Bloomberg which sells timely and reliable market data to financial firms. But that's an internet firm really. You could say the same for HFT firms, they are more usually labelled "finance" but they are really internet firms too.

Definitely in C++, traditionally a systems programming world, we are seeing a big draw towards IoT and low latency networking. So in that sense the "web is taking over" in that software development increasingly involves connecting stuff together. Even in games development, it's all recently about online multiplayer, and that means "full stack" skills are required more than before.

I don't think that means the death of .NET, but rather the death of .NET for making traditional Windows GUI applications. Instead you'd develop a web server based UI usable by any platform including mobile and for Windows wrap it into a .NET web viewer and that's your "desktop app". That sort of thing.

So same stuff, but different formulation.

Niall

Advertisement