Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Cycling Protocol

Options
  • 06-04-2017 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I'd be obliged to hear people's views on what may be a well covered topic already (apologies mods if so).

I am both a motorist and a cyclist. I cycle for exercise and usually do between 25kms to 35kms on a weekday (3/4 times per week) and a good spin at the weekend.

Last weekend, myself and my son were travelling home from his football match; a Sunday morning at about 11.30am. The road is the old Dublin-Belfast road so it reasonable busy.

We met a group, I assume from a local cycling club given their clothing, out for a spin. They were 4/5 abreast on the road, taking up the full left hand lane (it is single carriage). I approached and slowed but they didn't make an attempt to reduce to, for example, 2 abreast to allow me pass. They kept on going for about another 500m until it was safe for me to pass which I did without issue.

I entered the local village and, a few minutes later, as I came out of the newsagents, they passed me again, still 5 or so abreast having a chat. There were a few cars behind them at this stage!

They turned off the main road and I didn't have to pass them again.

My question - is there a protocol for groups travelling on a main road? As I expect that they are from a local group, I would have thought that they would be more aware of safety than a "few lads" out on their own?

Just wondering what people think!?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not so much protocol as the law - two abreast is legal, three abreast is legal if an overtaking manouevre is underway. anything above those situations is not legal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

not so much protocol as the law - two abreast is legal, three abreast is legal if an overtaking manouevre is underway. anything above those situations is not legal.

Out of interest which law?

I always thought it was good manners for two abreast and where roads narrow single file.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

"29 Driving two abreast

29.—(1) A pedal cyclist shall not, save when overtaking other pedal cyclists (and then only if to do so will not endanger other traffic or pedestrians) drive a pedal cycle on a roadway in such a manner as to result in more than two pedal cycles driving abreast."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm always a bit suspicious when i see a claim of 4 or 5 abreast. Unless they were elbow to elbow, they'd surely be in the opposite lane if any more than 3.

Some also seem to think 5 banks of 2 is 5 abreast, or how many rows of cyclists is the number. Though i don't think that's what's meant here and I've no reason to not believe but does seem strange.

Maybe they were being inconsiderate, or wrongly treating those 500m as a bunch race to the village

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

On my Sunday group spin, if we have an uneven number of riders, when I'm at the back, I often ride behind, but between the two riders in front of me.
    I'm sure, if a car is behind me, it looks like we're cycling three abreast.
    I don't think, I've ever seen a club group spin cycling four or five abreast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

07Lapierre wrote: »
    "29 Driving two abreast

29.—(1) A pedal cyclist shall not, save when overtaking other pedal cyclists (and then only if to do so will not endanger other traffic or pedestrians) drive a pedal cycle on a roadway in such a manner as to result in more than two pedal cycles driving abreast."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

You read something new every day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm always a bit suspicious when i see a claim of 4 or 5 abreast. Unless they were elbow to elbow, they'd surely be in the opposite lane if any more than 3.
    Yep, allow a metre for each cyclist and you have a lane 16 foot wide.
    Just to mix imperial and metric for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

In all my years of cycling the only place I've ever seen cyclists five abreast is on Eurosport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Some also seem to think 5 banks of 2 is 5 abreast, or how many rows of cyclists is the number.

This never occurred to me, but it seems very likely.

People often confidently use words they don't understand, because they don't know they don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

In my experience most groups keep to the two abreast rule with occasional overlaps. Four or five abreast is simply wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Next Sunday the peleton leaving Naas toward Blessington will be 4 abreast in many places (Tour de Foothills).
    Cyclists often consider themselves/ourselves to be a single peleton rather than a group of individuals at roundabouts, and do not concede right of way to cars already on the roundabout.

Some also seem to think 5 banks of 2 is 5 abreast, or how many rows of cyclists is the number. Though i don't think that's what's meant here and I've no reason to not believe but does seem strange.

Maybe they were being inconsiderate, or wrongly treating those 500m as a bunch race to the village

It depends on the angle at which your looking and how "neat" the cyclists are riding. From the drivers seat of a car, a group of cyclists cycling two abreast can look like they are 3 or 4 abreast if they are not cycling directly behind each other.

godtabh wrote: »
    You read something new every day

New? It's from 1964!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

PGE1970 wrote: »
    They were 4/5 abreast on the road
    No they weren't.

You can close the thread now.

New? It's from 1964!

New to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have never seen more than 3 a breast.

What I do find funny is that Monday you'd day cars will easily sit behind was you other doing 10kmh on a raid with a limit of 100 yet if they are behind a bike they have no patience

ted1 wrote: »
    on a raid
    That's a new level of road lawlessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

One has knee length socks over tights.
    Verdict: Tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

5 groups of 2 , far over maybe avoiding a bad part of the road that's out of the Frane

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I have never seen more than 3 a breast.

What I do find funny is that Monday you'd day cars will easily sit behind was you other doing 10kmh on a raid with a limit of 100 yet if they are behind a bike they have no patience

Never thought of that either.

The rare occasions I'm in a group i probably make it look like many as I'm crap in groups due to nerves unless I'm up the front

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

If that was our club (and we regularly cycle NCD), there would have been a call a lot earlier to tidy up. Two abreast is the rule and the law.

If you look over on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056227577&page=330 you'll see a photo of what could be six abreast to a driver approaching the group or more likely two by two with an offset when seen from within the group. The offset is to ensure you don't run into the cyclist in front if they have to slow suddenly.

Why are people posting pics? The OP should be the one posting the pics.

Why are people posting pics? The OP should be the one posting the pics.

Probably because its illegal to take photo's while driving! ;)
    (Unless you have a dashcam)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I think the photo in post #19 is helpful and, on reflection, having seen that photo and reading the other comments, I accept that it is highly unlikely that it was 4/5 abreast. Apologies for the misrepresentation and in particular to post #15 who seemed somewhat offended!

I suppose that I was trying to raise the issue of group cycling and the fact that this group seemed to take over a full lane of what is a reasonably busy road.

As a cyclist myself, almost always on my own, it's interesting to glean other poster's opinions on the subject and thanks to all who've replied.

Probably because its illegal to take photo's while driving! ;)
    (Unless you have a dashcam)
    Or if you have a passenger...
    ...myself and my son...

5 groups of 2 , far over maybe avoiding a bad part of the road that's out of the Frane

10/10 for observation! (Took me a while to spot the 10th rider!)

post #15 who seemed somewhat offended!
    Sorry, I might have come on a bit strong. This is a claim that we've seen many times in this forum and others, yet there's never a photo and none of the regulars on here have ever seen it. Even club race fields are generally 2 x 2. The only time I've seen a group spread out as claimed is in a closed road event.

As for taking up the full lane, so what? A single person on a bike can take up a lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well I'd also be of the thinking that the 5 a breast stuff that keeps getting trotted out (in general, not necessarily aimed at the OP) is untidy two a breast groups being viewed from the rear. Not really sure where that leaves the motorists eyesight that they can't judge the depth of a group - how can you contemplate an overtake if you don't know how long a group is?

Now aimed at the OP - really don't see the issue with taking the full side of the road though. It's either safe to overtake, which means crossing the centre line or it isn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....I suppose that I was trying to raise the issue of group cycling and the fact that this group seemed to take over a full lane of what is a reasonably busy road....
    There's nothing wrong with taking the full lane if necessary especially on a busy road. It's much safer for any overtaking vehicle to move to the other lane when safe to overtake. If you were behind a tractor or other slow moving vehicles you'd have to move to the other lane to overtake so what's the difference?

The hard shoulder is badly broken up in places along that stretch. You say that all your cycling is solo. When solo you have a clear view of the road/surface ahead. When in a group on a dodgy surface, there is a tendency for each rider not to be directly aligned with the rider in front to see a bit ahead. Even though 2 abreast it gives the impression that it's more. Also, the 2 abreast rule doesn't state the distance so technically riders could be 3 metres apart and still be 'legal'.

(I should declare that I'm out regularly with that group and it is fairly well controlled.)

Advertisement