Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Cycling Protocol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The OP mentions a village. If the village in question is Balrothery, that section of the Dublin/Belfast road is lethal for cyclists. I would argue that a group of cyclists should never cycle in the hard shoulder on that section of road, due to the "traffic calming islands" in the centre of the road!

It's vital for a group of cyclists to take control of the lane approaching and while passing these islands to prevent cars from attempting a dangerous overtake manover. I hate that section of road!

Edit: come to think of it, you can't cycle in the hard shoulder at Balrothery, because there are concrete islands in the hard shoulder as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/wCqVuQ7Jefu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to pick out any specific group and I fully respect everyone's right to use the road and, especially cyclists, in a safe environment. We have seen too many tragic accidents involving cyclists.

My original post was to gauge other cyclists opinions on the matter generally and certainly not to offend anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

PGE1970 wrote: »
    My original post was to gauge other cyclists opinions on the matter generally and certainly not to offend anyone.

It has turned out, so far, to be one of the more enlightening threads on a benighted subject, for me at least. I don't do group cycling, so I've nothing to contribute, but the point about an untidy two-abreast looking like four- or five-abreast explains an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... We have seen too many tragic accidents involving cyclists.....
    Indeed - but very rarely involving cycling groups. The incident in Co Donegal a few months back is the only one that I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

THIS is why cyclists take the lane when there are "traffic calming islands"!

https://youtu.be/FX60qnGNcI8

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

Good luck with that.

Even if they aren't offended, they'll pretend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

tomasrojo wrote:
    It has turned out, so far, to be one of the more enlightening threads on a benighted subject, for me at least. I don't do group cycling, so I've nothing to contribute, but the point about an untidy two-abreast looking like four- or five-abreast explains an awful lot.
    Penny dropped for me on the whole "5 a breast" crap that litters comments sections and text messages of anything cycling related a couple of weeks back when me and a pal came up behind a club spin that was all over the shop in terms of their lines.

I live on one of the main weekend cycling routes out of Dublin, and really I'd have to question the size of some of the groups I see (but maybe there's logic to why they don't split into two or three smaller groups?), and the size can't help maintain two clear lines.

It's ultimately still a give out about cyclists not allowing a close/ dangerous passes though, or making excuses for the same.
    Gavinz wrote: »
    Even if they aren't offended, they'll pretend.
    Offended or explaining why a cyclist(s) may do certain things? Rather than offended I see it as more an education opportunity to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Lets face it motorists in ireland are impatient dicks, only a minority have any patience and consideration for "other road users" not just cyclists.
    Anyone that has cycled in portugal, spain or france etc will tell you we here in ireland have a lot to learn about respecting other road users.
    It's rush rush everywhere and texting and on facebook while driving is widespread, (uk gone to 6 penalty points for this btw, let's hope we follow)
    To the OP, I've never in over 30 years cycling on the road seen a group more than 3 abreast, that would not be safe so I'd say you are mistaken.
    Recently while cycling with a friend 2 abreast an artic tried to overtake us on a white line going round a bend, crazy driving.
    When your behind some cyclists ask yourself what would you do in their situation, would you not hold your position on the road for "your own safety" I'll bet you would, we need to be careful as motorists remember the car will always survive in a collision with a bicycle !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Regular cyclist in a club.

* We never cycle more than 2 abreast unless 1 cyclist has to come from the back to the front to signal something that can't be passed up
    * Cannot remember seeing 4/5 abreast ever

However, a staggered and undisciplined group may appear as more than 2 abreast... Clubs need to sort this sh*t out...some clubs have appalling road discipline.

I recently got a rear facing camera ... it's interesting looking back at the footage and seeing the reaction of drivers that get held up for mere seconds...some serious stress management needed for these people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What if they have formed an Echelon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I was out last Sunday morning around Enniskerry and there were a few groups taking the full lane with straggly two abreast, so I had to pass in the opposite lane.

Totally inept cycling. Tidy it up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »
    so I had to pass in the opposite lane.
    isn't this the lane you're *meant* to pass in?
    maybe i'm missing the joke.

isn't this the lane you're *meant* to pass in?
    maybe i'm missing the joke.
    What assumptions have you made?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I came a cross a group who looked like beginners the other week, they were all over the road and I latched on to the back prior to riding through, the lads at the back called on a car at a totally unsafe time to overtake- there was not enough road space ahead and the group of about 10 or 12 was taking up enough road for 30 bike riders. They should have been more concerned with tidying up their riding than with whether or not the car could get past.

Riding in a group is a skill that must me learned, beginners should learn to ride in a group in small groups of 3 or 4 before joining larger groups.

The types of scenarios being discussed here make the roads more dangerous for all of us as they just serve to fuel driver frustration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »
    What assumptions have you made?
    that you were driving?

that you were driving?
    :pac:

Right. Interesting, isn't it? I was cycling.

On my bicycle I strongly feel that should be able to overtake riders two abreast in the same lane.

In my car, I'll happily wait for the opportunity to pass on the opposite side.

This is because being hit by a car hurts much more, although TBH the wobbly Freds* I was passing might have been spooked by me passing closer than 1.5m, fallen off and sustained a fatal head injury. They clearly weren't comfortable cycling close to each other.

(* I am a non-wobbly Fred, although I have also been known to fall off for no good reason )

mamax wrote: »
    Lets face it motorists in ireland are impatient dicks, only a minority have any patience and consideration for "other road users" not just cyclists.
    Anyone that has cycled in portugal, spain or france etc will tell you we here in ireland have a lot to learn about respecting other road users.
    It's rush rush everywhere and texting and on facebook while driving is widespread, (uk gone to 6 penalty points for this btw, let's hope we follow)
    To the OP, I've never in over 30 years cycling on the road seen a group more than 3 abreast, that would not be safe so I'd say you are mistaken.
    Recently while cycling with a friend 2 abreast an artic tried to overtake us on a white line going round a bend, crazy driving.
    When your behind some cyclists ask yourself what would you do in their situation, would you not hold your position on the road for "your own safety" I'll bet you would, we need to be careful as motorists remember the car will always survive in a collision with a bicycle !!!

To be fair, I've admitted that I accept that it wasn't 4/5 abreast. For the record, I sat safely behind the group until it was safe, for all parties, for me to pass and I did so safely.

I think that various other posters have clarified that a group less well organised riding 2 abreast can appear to be riding more than 2 abreast and I fully accept that this was probably the case in my instance.

It is interesting to see other people with examples of groups who could perhaps be better organised. I'm mindful and respectful of all users of the road as I am cyclist on one day and a motorist the next. I also have an 18 year old daughter that is learning to drive and I emphasise to her that the habit of being aware of other road users is an important as concentrating on her own driving manoevres as they go hand in hand.

With respect, I'm not sure that I can clarify my original point much further?

With respect, I'm not sure that I can clarify my original point much further?
    I think you're assuming a level of reading comprehension which is not realistic on a Friday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

My question - is there a protocol for groups travelling on a main road?

The answer to your question is that yes there is a protocol for groups travelling on a main or any other road. This is a protocol that is observed by any group who are experienced , organised and respectful towards all road users.
    Basically the group should ride two abreast and as close to the left hand side of the road as it is safe to do so . The two riders on the front are in charge of pace setting and warning everyone behind of any dangers ahead ie potholes , parked cars loose dogs etc. They are also responsible for warning the group of any approaching traffic with a call of " car down " . they may also call " single out " if the group needs to drop into single file or warn approaching drivers of their presence by an up and down open hand motion.
    The two riders on the back have an equally important roll as they observe traffic approaching from behind and will call out " car up " or " car up single out " if conditions warrant it . From their vantage point they can also observe the progress of the group and may call " pick it up " to increase the overall pace or " ease up " to slow the group down .
    I think that over the last few years the popularity of cycling have led to the formation of many new groups and clubs who perhaps don't have the elder lemons involved to coach basic cycling etiquette . It is very easy to spot these groups as they are often scattered all over the road putting themselves and everyone else in danger . It is not their fault however as they may never have been coached in group cycling and perhaps the onus should be put on bike shops to suggest basis coaching for anyone joining a club .
    Bigger " Sportif " events tend to be a law unto themselves where shouts of " car up , car down etc " can mean anything in any direction.
    KEEP HER LIT :)

The answer to your question is that yes there is a protocol for groups travelling on a main or any other road. This is a protocol that is observed by any group who are experienced , organised and respectful towards all road users.
    Basically the group should ride two abreast and as close to the left hand side of the road as it is safe to do so . The two riders on the front are in charge of pace setting and warning everyone behind of any dangers ahead ie potholes , parked cars loose dogs etc. They are also responsible for warning the group of any approaching traffic with a call of " car down " . they may also call " single out " if the group needs to drop into single file or warn approaching drivers of their presence by an up and down open hand motion.
    The two riders on the back have an equally important roll as they observe traffic approaching from behind and will call out " car up " or " car up single out " if conditions warrant it . From their vantage point they can also observe the progress of the group and may call " pick it up " to increase the overall pace or " ease up " to slow the group down .
    I think that over the last few years the popularity of cycling have led to the formation of many new groups and clubs who perhaps don't have the elder lemons involved to coach basic cycling etiquette . It is very easy to spot these groups as they are often scattered all over the road putting themselves and everyone else in danger . It is not their fault however as they may never have been coached in group cycling and perhaps the onus should be put on bike shops to suggest basis coaching for anyone joining a club .
    Bigger " Sportif " events tend to be a law unto themselves where shouts of " car up , car down etc " can mean anything in any direction.
    KEEP HER LIT :)

Excellent post Blackvalley. Very informative and very helpful. Many thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

ericzeking wrote: »
    the lads at the back called on a car at a totally unsafe time to overtake-

A friend who has lived in the Dublin Mountains for 40 years complains about this. She hangs back behind cyclists and club groups when she knows a dangerous turn is coming, and she says they often turn around and violently wave at her to come-on, come-on, come-fecking-on - she ignores this, knowing the road well, but it annoys the heck out of her.

Chuchote wrote: »
    A friend who has lived in the Dublin Mountains for 40 years complains about this. She hangs back behind cyclists and club groups when she knows a dangerous turn is coming, and she says they often turn around and violently wave at her to come-on, come-on, come-fecking-on - she ignores this, knowing the road well, but it annoys the heck out of her.
    Totally agree - very annoying and should be made illegal IMO. When I'm driving I'll decide when it is safe to overtake.

(There's someone in my own club who does that regularly despite being requested to refrain from doing so).

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Totally agree - very annoying and should be made illegal IMO. When I'm driving I'll decide when it is safe to overtake.
    Gawdalmighty !. Make it illegal:eek: ?.And who is going to enforce this new rule you wish to introduce . You have already provided an answer to the problem when you state " When I'm driving I'll decide when it is safe to overtake"
    Why is it that so many wish to make so much illegal when simple common sence is all that is required.:confused:

Gawdalmighty !. Make it illegal:eek: ?.And who is going to enforce this new rule you wish to introduce . You have already provided an answer to the problem when you state " When I'm driving I'll decide when it is safe to overtake"
    Why is it that so many wish to make so much illegal when simple common sence is all that is required.:confused:
    Steady on blackvalley. Do you only obey the law when it's enforced? A certain portion of the population will refrain from doing something because it's illegal regardless of whether it's enforced or not. It used to be an automatic failure in a driving test to beckon another driver or pedestrian, e.g. to pull out, cross the road etc. (not sure if it is still the case). Misplaced courtesy they call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd be obliged to hear people's views on what may be a well covered topic already (apologies mods if so).

I am both a motorist and a cyclist. I cycle for exercise and usually do between 25kms to 35kms on a weekday (3/4 times per week) and a good spin at the weekend.

Last weekend, myself and my son were travelling home from his football match; a Sunday morning at about 11.30am. The road is the old Dublin-Belfast road so it reasonable busy.

We met a group, I assume from a local cycling club given their clothing, out for a spin. They were 4/5 abreast on the road, taking up the full left hand lane (it is single carriage). I approached and slowed but they didn't make an attempt to reduce to, for example, 2 abreast to allow me pass. They kept on going for about another 500m until it was safe for me to pass which I did without issue.

I entered the local village and, a few minutes later, as I came out of the newsagents, they passed me again, still 5 or so abreast having a chat. There were a few cars behind them at this stage!

They turned off the main road and I didn't have to pass them again.

My question - is there a protocol for groups travelling on a main road? As I expect that they are from a local group, I would have thought that they would be more aware of safety than a "few lads" out on their own?

Just wondering what people think!?

As a motorist if I had planned to stop in the next village and then turn off, I wouldn't have bothered overtaking a group of cyclists cycling "five abreast". That's wider than a wide load truck carrying a combine harvester! Probably spilling over to the other side of the road. And, as you said in your post, it's a few minutes and you're not exactly in a rush hitting the newsagents on the way home!

How do the same drivers who want to rush dangerously by cyclists behave when they meet a flock of sheep or a herd of cows on the road, being driven from field to field?

In my driving days I hung back and enjoyed the pleasure of living in a rural country.

I don't think my friend would wish signalling drivers on when it's dangerous to be illegal; she'd just wish those cyclists who do this (some very aggressively, she says) to use the sense God gave them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I don't think my friend would wish signalling drivers on when it's dangerous to be illegal; she'd just wish those cyclists who do this (some very aggressively, she says) to use the sense God gave them.

I think this is the main problem...too many people in/on all modes of transport with not enough sense to know that what they are doing affects everyone else around them as well as themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

How do the same drivers who want to rush dangerously by cyclists behave when they meet a flock of sheep or a herd of cows on the road, being driven from field to field?
    Look at them, 4 or 5 abreast, no helmets or high-vis! The woolly ******* don't even pay road tax.

img_30031.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I do this when cycling solo, not in a group. If I'm entering a bend and I have someone driving behind me, then as soon as I get clear visibility through the bend and can see the driver will have room to pass safely, I wave them through. It probably only saves them a couple of seconds, but I usually get a smile or a wave or a flash of the hazards in thanks. Conversely, if I can see oncoming traffic that they can't see, I signal to hold them back.

• Advertisement

I do this when cycling solo, not in a group. If I'm entering a bend and I have someone driving behind me, then as soon as I get clear visibility through the bend and can see the driver will have room to pass safely, I wave them through. It probably only saves them a couple of seconds, but I usually get a smile or a wave or a flash of the hazards in thanks. Conversely, if I can see oncoming traffic that they can't see, I signal to hold them back.

This is exactly the kind of thing my friend appreciates. What she can't stand is people waving her on when she knows the road and knows their waves would lead her into a bend with possible oncoming cars and disaster.

Advertisement