Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Cycling Protocol

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Way back in the last century, I investigated a Traffic Collision on what was then the main Dublin Belfast road. A lorry pulled out from a minor road and was T-boned by an articulated lorry, which was travelling on the main road. Both drivers were seriously injured. It seemed straight forward enough, arctic on main road seemed to be 100% in the right. However, when I interviewed the drivers, a different story emerged. The driver on the minor road told me, that as he was approaching the junction, the arctic, flashed his lights at him. Thinking that the arctic. was giving him the road, he pulled out from the minor road and was struck by the arctic. I spoke to the artic. driver, he told me, that he was driving on the main road, saw the lorry and flashed his lights at him to warn him not to drive from the minor road. So, who was in the right? D.P.P. decided not to prosecute either driver. The matter was decided by a civil court, who awarded full damages to the driver of the lorry emerging from the minor road.
    Since that decision, as a driver or cyclist, I have never signalled any other road user to take any action. It may be misconstrued.
    Here endeth the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I learnt to drive in the UK. At the time the rules were clear - flashing headlights was (officially) only to let other drivers know you were there. Always assumed it was the same here! Mind you, even up to today and much more serious road incidents, the dpp make some bizarre decisions not to prosecute/ prosecute a very low level offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Just because you've never seen something, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I've seen 3 and 4 abreast, albeit very rarely, it does happen. The OP was incredibly civil about this and so many replies trying to dispel this "myth" of 5 abreast with stories and example photos. What? Saying the OP had his son and therefore should have a photo or it didnt happen.

I really like this forum, but if there is even a sniff of someone who might offend an entitled cyclist it's like a playschool.

There are d*ck drivers and d*ck cyclists out there. If everyone was a bit more civil it would make the roads a nicer place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

iv seen 4 and 5 abreast.
    it wason the old n8 around cashel. its very wide so it wasnt an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Danbo! wrote: »

I've seen 3 and 4 abreast, albeit very rarely, it does happen. The OP was incredibly civil about this and so many replies trying to dispel this "myth" of 5 abreast with stories and example photos. What? Saying the OP had his son and therefore should have a photo or it didnt happen.
    It's not just that I haven't seen it. In this day and age, where dashcams are common and we have selfies and pictures of food and every damned thing because 99.999% of people carry a camera in their pocket, there aren't any supporting photos.

Don't you think that is strange?

The mention of the OPs son was first made by the OP. I only mentioned it again because a statement was made that a photo couldn't be taken while driving.

By the way, I'm not a cyclist. I don't even own a bicycle. Does that still make me entitled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've seen 3 and 4 abreast, albeit very rarely, it does happen....
    The only time I've seen 4 abreast is at the start of a major sportive and even then there's usually Garda assistance and motor cycle marshals for the first few kms until the group thins out.

I think many posters are frustrated at repeatedly explaining to others (OP excluded) who don't understand that what appears to be 3 or 4 abreast from a distance behind is not so if viewed from above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

iv seen 4 and 5 abreast.
    Did they overtake you? I hope they gave you plenty of room.
    If I overtake a cyclist or car etc I will give plenty of room.
    When a cyclist overtake s me do they have to give me the same room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Did they overtake you? I hope they gave you plenty of room.

not sure what your trying to say.
    thats from a different thread and has no bearing to this.
    i still stand by those points. the rules should apply buth ways

the road is so wide you could overtake them and still have somone else overtake you at the same time

It's not just that I haven't seen it. In this day and age, where dashcams are common and we have selfies and pictures of food and every damned thing because 99.999% of people carry a camera in their pocket, there aren't any supporting photos.

The mention of the OPs son was first made by the OP. I only mentioned it again because a statement was made that a photo couldn't be taken while driving.

By the way, I'm not a cyclist. I don't even own a bicycle. Does that still make me entitled?

If someone came on here ranting and raving about cyclists constantly being 5 abreast then yeah, I'd probably hop on it too. But the OP said it happened and very nicely asked what the story was, not venting about it. I'm just saying it's unlikely the OP thought to get a photo of it. I've only seen it twice and tbh it looked like an amateur set up, but it wasn't in my head to get a pic, but just mutter under my breath :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I've only seen it twice ..
    Where/what was your position when you saw it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Posts deleted and warnings issued. Attack the post, not the poster. Do not drag in sh1t from other threads and do not respond to posts that should clearly be reported.

Where/what was your position when you saw it?

Once on the old N3 to cavan, 4 abreast and only 4 in the group, all having a grand aul chat with a queue of cars behind. It wasn't to prevent overtaking at a difficult spot either. Another time it was a large scrappy group near roundwood, lots of pairs but a good few 3s and 4s.

Viewing from driving behind and during the overtake.

Look, I know most groups, especially those on here, respect other road users. I was just saying it can happen and the thread was taking a very defensive tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

In my driving days I found that groups like the Cavan one would normally respond to a polite little 'bip' on the horn (not a BLAAAARE) by going "Ooops, sorry!" and lining out to let me pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There ye go:

2jcvbxf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Please see my post #26.

I have to say that the last thing that I would think about whilst driving is to take a photo. I wouldn't do so primarily for safety reasons but also because a situation like that wouldn't register with me as warranting such an action.

For example, if I see an example of bad driving, my first (second or third etc) thought is not to think "Jeepers, I must take a photo if I want to start a thread on boards later on!" It was just a thought to seek people's opinions on the topic generally as I browsed this forum. I'm not quite sure that it was such a good idea now!!

My 11 year old son was in the car with me; he wouldn't have even noticed the cyclists as he was probably on his phone or ipad etc.

I was on Dad duty not police duty! I can't ever remember taking a photo of a road incident with my phone.

@Danbo -thanks for your post.
    @Tenzor - good photo and that's how I accept that I was mistaken in my original statement that they were 4/5 abreast.

I have stated that, with hindsight and some informative assistance from some enlightening posters here, I was wrong. I'm not sure how often I need to say it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Another time it was a large scrappy group near roundwood, lots of pairs but a good few 3s and 4s.

I think I may have encountered this group recently. About twenty something riders spread out over 100m or more but leaving no gap big enough for me to pull in if I wanted to overtake them a few at a time. I was behind them for several kilometres before being lucky enough to come upon a very long straight stretch of road with no oncoming traffic.

As someone who has commuted by bike for the last 17 years, I staunchly defend cyclists to ignorant motorists. However, in this situation I could see exactly why they'd get frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

iv seen 4 and 5 abreast.

I Believe you! Lots of numptys out there.

I remember driving to Galway once. I was stuck behind a HGV. the car behind me decider to overtake my car and the HGV. As the car passed me, another car overtook both my car, the car overtaking me AND the HGV!

Numpty's walk, cycle and drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

PGE1970 wrote: »
    I have stated that, with hindsight and some informative assistance from some enlightening posters here, I was wrong. I'm not sure how often I need to say it?

I wouldn't worry too much about other people on the Internet. You'll probably discover this thread will be dragged from the grave in three months time by someone out on a spin who got beeped at on the road that day, and they'll be giving out to you personally for the behaviour of other drivers.

You could reply to every poster, but probably better to go out and enjoy the fine weather while it lasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭PGE1970

buffalo wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about other people on the Internet. You'll probably discover this thread will be dragged from the grave in three months time by someone out on a spin who got beeped at on the road that day, and they'll be giving out to you personally for the behaviour of other drivers.

You could reply to every poster, but probably better to go out and enjoy the fine weather while it lasts!

:D Thanks Buffalo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think I may have encountered this group recently. About twenty something riders spread out over 100m or more but leaving no gap big enough for me to pull in if I wanted to overtake them a few at a time. I was behind them for several kilometres before being lucky enough to come upon a very long straight stretch of road with no oncoming traffic.

As someone who has commuted by bike for the last 17 years, I staunchly defend cyclists to ignorant motorists. However, in this situation I could see exactly why they'd get frustrated.

How often does this kind of thing happen? I've never been stuck behind a cyclist for more than a minute in 40 years of driving. If this kind of scenario was happening regularly, we'd be seeing clips of it here every day or every week. But we don't, because it is a rare event.

1601-joker.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement