Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Second time mammy here. I borrowed a Moses basket, son hated it as he kept hitting his arms off the side and waking himself up.

Bought a next to me, we co slept, so handy for breastfeeding. he'd start in the next to me but would gravitate towards me & always ended up in the bed! I'll admit it was more extra storage for us than where he slept. Lent to a friend who had great success with it so optimistic that this baby will like it! I'd strongly recommend buying a new mattress for this as the one that comes with it is very flat. I think that's why my friend got on better with it as she had to get a new mattress anyway. You're not meant to reuse mattressses as it's a SIDS risk.

Got gifted a second hand cot that converts to toddler bed. The height adjusts so it's fine from newborn if you don't want to get a Moses basket, crib, co sleeper. I won't lie, I spend plenty a night in that cot, I'm only 5ft;)

We went with a baby jogger summit buggy (it's a proper running one) and maxi cosi car seat and bought the adjuster fittings so could put car seat onto buggy. Didn't need the pram add on as the recline is near flat so fine for a new born.

Lots of people don't bother with a buggy at all & baby wear. Don't go spending a fortune if you think this is something you might enjoy. Loved wearing my son but still used the buggy for walks but glad I didn't fork out a fortune!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I am 16 weeks on Wednesday and while my belly is slightly bigger, I have lost a few pounds since I got pregnant. Its probably fine, just thought I would have gained a little by now. Not that I want a load of weight on but just expected it.

Still in normal clothes.

Anyway apart from that, all good. I feel fine apart from a dodgy back!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Jixa

lashes34 wrote: »
    I am 16 weeks on Wednesday and while my belly is slightly bigger, I have lost a few pounds since I got pregnant. Its probably fine, just thought I would have gained a little by now. Not that I want a load of weight on but just expected it.

Still in normal clothes.

Anyway apart from that, all good. I feel fine apart from a dodgy back!

Hope you don't mind me jumping in lashes! I'm currently 30 weeks and when I found out I was pregnant I was 15 stone 4pounds. I had a lot of morning sickness up until 16 weeks which meant I lost about a stone so I weighed myself then and I was 14 stone 4 pounds. I definitely had a bit of weight to lose anyway before I got pregnant, which was the plan but I got pregnant a lot quicker than expected. I weighed myself this morning and I was 14st10, so I've gained 6 pounds in the past 14 weeks and I'm still 8 pounds lighter than I was when I got pregnant. It really worried me because I thought baby would be small or in some way affected. I said it to midwife at last visit and she said once baby is measuring fine and weighing fine then not to worry at all so it was really reassuring for me. I just didn't want you to be worried like I was when there wasn't anything at all to be worried about :):) xxx

Thanks Jixa, ya my appetite still isnt fully back after the first trimester and have tried to eat better so Im sure its fine. I was awful for sweet stuff but have no where near as much interest now which is great!

Have my private scan on Friday and then the anomaly this day 5 weeks when I will be 20+6.

First antenatal class next Tuesday and my midwife appointment in two weeks. Its all go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Wow Lashes, your antenatal classes are very early in comparison to mine. Don't have them until end of October / start of November!

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    Wow Lashes, your antenatal classes are very early in comparison to mine. Don't have them until end of October / start of November!

Really? When are we meant to have them? This is one that has to be done between 12 and 20 weeks. I am in Galway. Maybe different between hospitals? I know there are others later on too.

I have no idea when these are meant to happen!

I'm in Cork and they told me after 30 weeks. I have a feeling it's more to do with availability because they really stressed I should book straight away at my week 12 appt. I'm sure it's just different courses/processes per hospital like everything else it seems!

I'm in Cork and they told me after 30 weeks. I have a feeling it's more to do with availability because they really stressed I should book straight away at my week 12 appt. I'm sure it's just different courses/processes per hospital like everything else it seems!

There is another one 30-36 weeks, either a full day (where the partner comes to the second part) or three morning or afternoon ones. The full day ones are booked up until end Nov which is only 2 weeks before my due date so I have added myself to the waiting list for the Oct one. Otherwise I can do the three separate classes in Oct but think I would prefer to get it over with in one day.

Crazy how quick they book up.

Thanks Jixa, ya my appetite still isnt fully back after the first trimester and have tried to eat better so Im sure its fine. I was awful for sweet stuff but have no where near as much interest now which is great!

Have my private scan on Friday and then the anomaly this day 5 weeks when I will be 20+6.

First antenatal class next Tuesday and my midwife appointment in two weeks. Its all go!

I'm only 13weeks but I'm not back to hospital until Sept 4th for anamoly scan (23wks) GP end of July. Don't know how I'll cope. We haven't told family cos I'm still quite anxious after MCs.

I'm only 13weeks but I'm not back to hospital until Sept 4th for anamoly scan (23wks) GP end of July. Don't know how I'll cope. We haven't told family cos I'm still quite anxious after MCs.

It's a bit of a head wreak isn't it. My last scan was at 12 weeks and I'm 15 weeks now. I have days where I'm wondering how do I know everything is ok. My next hospital appt is at 18 weeks but I don't know if I will be scanned.

Is a private scan an option for you to give you peace of mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I have an early antenatal before 20 weeks too. Its just an early pregnancy one she said. Have it on the 12th July i think?

Then all mine start from August onwards and run in to October.

My anomaly scan is on the 1st August and ill be just over 20 weeks.

20% off carseats and bases in Smyths

It's a bit of a head wreak isn't it. My last scan was at 12 weeks and I'm 15 weeks now. I have days where I'm wondering how do I know everything is ok. My next hospital appt is at 18 weeks but I don't know if I will be scanned.

Is a private scan an option for you to give you peace of mind?

It's an option alright but I'm already paying private consultancy fees so don't know whether I should ring and let them know I'm worried or just book into another scan place & pay the extra €100. Have a colposcopy today as I've cin11 so might see how I feel after, it I've any cramps I'll def ring consultant for peace of mind.

It's an option alright but I'm already private consultancy fees so don't know whether I should ring and let them know I'm worried or just book into another scan place & pay the extra €100. Have a colposcopy today as I've cin11 so might see how I feel after, it I've any cramps I'll def ring consultant for peace of mind.

If you're private I'd say it's definitely worth asking them for another scan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Lainey_b01

Hi Ladies, just popping in to give some positive feedback! Our first Pregnancy turning of 15weeks was unfortunately met by some blood in my discharge. Google kinda reassured me that it more than likely ok as quite dark but decided to call my healthcare insurance nurses line, get some use out of it! The minute she mentioned viability I was shutting down the PC and heading towards Holles Street.

Within 40 minutes of arriving on a Wednesday evening my file was located, seen by doctor, scanned to see baby and heart beating, examined, blood pressure and pee sample taken and back out heading for home. My poor husband was still in traffic making his was into town to meet me!

I know working so close to my hospital isn't a benefit that everyone has but it's not often our public healthcare systems get praised. I was seriously impressed compared to other a&e (non maternity) experiences.

So thumbs up to Holles Street fetal assessment unit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh so excited im on a high!!! After really not feeling much bar my boobs, was at the GP today and she dopplered me!! :) heard the babies heartbeat for the first time since the first scan.. So 16 weeks and it was great so loverly to hear. I wish himself was there with me so he could have heard it too.

Have my private scan tomorrow, will be 16+2. They didn't let us listen to the heartbeat, have you all heard?

Still haven't decided if we will find out the sex tomorrow.

Have you felt any movements yet? My placenta is at the front so they said it might be nearer to 20/22 weeks before I can feel anything.

No, no movement yet. Don't feel pregnant at all really. Still not showing at all either.
    Not back for an appt for another 3 weeks and that's with my gp.

That's so lovely milly! My consultant said to hold off going to gp til 18wks so they'd be able to get the heartbeat, might go earlier after hearing that!

Good luck with the scan tomorrow lashes! I heard it at my private scan at 6 & 8 weeks but consultant didn't let us hear at 12, really wish I had asked now.

Had my colposcopy Tuesday and dr was happy so don't need to go back til march for smear! Had a teensy bit of spotting today so gonna see if consultant will see me for a bit of reassurance, not too worried (well anymore than beforehand) tho as it was just the once when wiping

Glad your colposcopy went well! Best to get it checked although its bound to be related?

They told us at the 4 early scans they dont listen for heartbeat that early but then forgot at the 12 week one.

• Advertisement

Lainey_b01 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, just popping in to give some positive feedback! Our first Pregnancy turning of 15weeks was unfortunately met by some blood in my discharge. Google kinda reassured me that it more than likely ok as quite dark but decided to call my healthcare insurance nurses line, get some use out of it! The minute she mentioned viability I was shutting down the PC and heading towards Holles Street.

Within 40 minutes of arriving on a Wednesday evening my file was located, seen by doctor, scanned to see baby and heart beating, examined, blood pressure and pee sample taken and back out heading for home. My poor husband was still in traffic making his was into town to meet me!

I know working so close to my hospital isn't a benefit that everyone has but it's not often our public healthcare systems get praised. I was seriously impressed compared to other a&e (non maternity) experiences.

So thumbs up to Holles Street fetal assessment unit!

Great to hear you were well taken care of & all is well x

We haven't heard the heartbeat either. Was thinking of getting one of the Doppler machines on Amazon but I think I'd just freak myself out when I couldn't find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

We haven't heard the heartbeat either. Was thinking of getting one of the Doppler machines on Amazon but I think I'd just freak myself out when I couldn't find it.

I would definitely say no to getting one. The GP spent about 15 minutes on me the other day and couldn't find it. I was back a few days later and another GP found it after about ten minutes, two Doppler changes and a new battery. I reckon us novices would drive ourselves mad.

(I am due in Nov)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

That's so lovely milly! My consultant said to hold off going to gp til 18wks so they'd be able to get the heartbeat, might go earlier after hearing that!

Good luck with the scan tomorrow lashes! I heard it at my private scan at 6 & 8 weeks but consultant didn't let us hear at 12, really wish I had asked now.

Had my colposcopy Tuesday and dr was happy so don't need to go back til march for smear! Had a teensy bit of spotting today so gonna see if consultant will see me for a bit of reassurance, not too worried (well anymore than beforehand) tho as it was just the once when wiping

I had the same yesterday,tiny not of spotting when I wiped. I'm not too concerned as apparently it's very common and it was brown which means it was old blood,not new. Nothing since so I'm sire it was just one of those things.

Andreac I know exactly how you feel,I'm going on 14 weeks now but I really don't look or feel at all pregnant still! Can't wait for the time to come when I'll feel bub moving around. Although I'll probably regret saying that in time if my last fella's gymnastics are anything to go by!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

The GP said that today to not worry about it I didnt hear the heartbeat that twas all ok so dont be worrying ladies..... My GP kinda seems a bit cool with the visits, i was told to make the app by the nurses in the hospital but twas after i missed an OBi appointment.Id say if you wanted to make one just go for it

Scan went really well, she spent ages doing it and measuring/checking everything. Measuring fine, said the femar was measuring a few days behind but neither of us are very tall so she said not to worry it's probably genetic! Heard the heartbeat, was amazing. Money well spent

Scan went really well, she spent ages doing it and measuring/checking everything. Measuring fine, said the femar was measuring a few days behind but neither of us are very tall so she said not to worry it's probably genetic! Heard the heartbeat, was amazing. Money well spent

Was this an anomaly or just a regular (but thorough) scan? I am getting my anomaly scan in the Rotunda in 10 days and cannot wait. Every other scan has been relatively quick, with a quick crown- rump measurement and look at the heartbeat.

It was a private scan at 16 weeks, I don't have my anomaly one til 1st August.

Oh it sounds so detailed, that's great.

• Advertisement

Ladies just wondering if yous have put on much weight since you got pregnant?

Going yo weigh myself in the morning to check. Been struggling to eat well so I'm afraid I'll put up a lot. I do t feel like I've put on too much yet but still only 16 weeks today so prob shouldn't have put much on at this early stage
    What's the average you put on with a normal pregnancy does anyone know?

Advertisement