Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I had catheter for emcs, so before epidural etc. It was fine, vaguely uncomfortable for about a minute but then I got used to it. Didn't want to part with it and actually have to get to the bathroom the next day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Thanks ladies. Just probably worrying myself over nothing really but it's just all new to me and im never sick or at the doctor or anything so im just over thinking all of these things that are probably going to happen lol.

On another note, does anyone else feel breathless, or they can't catch their breath? Don't know whether to mention it to doc or consultant next time im in, but sometimes, today especially, i feel quite heavy on my chest where i feel i can't catch a big deep breath. It has happened a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

andreac wrote: »
    On another note, does anyone else feel breathless, or they can't catch their breath? Don't know whether to mention it to doc or consultant next time im in, but sometimes, today especially, i feel quite heavy on my chest where i feel i can't catch a big deep breath. It has happened a few times.

I have a couple of times, in with GP next week so will mention it. I get a racing heart and slightly breathless at times. Have a heart murmur too so best to say to them.

Actually now that I think of it, rang yesterday to make GP appointment for 24 weeks and said it would be with the nurse. Thought it would be the doc? I guess they only check BP, for a heartbeat and protein in the urine isnt it so the nurse can do all that, I had just assumed I would be seeing the doctor.

lashes34 wrote: »
    I have a couple of times, in with GP next week so will mention it. I get a racing heart and slightly breathless at times. Have a heart murmur too so best to say to them.

Actually now that I think of it, rang yesterday to make GP appointment for 24 weeks and said it would be with the nurse. Thought it would be the doc? I guess they only check BP, for a heartbeat and protein in the urine isnt it so the nurse can do all that, I had just assumed I would be seeing the doctor.

Ill mention it when im in, but im not in with anyone now until 11th Sept and that's with my consultant. Don't really want to make an appt just for this as it's not that bad

Ill mention it when im in, but im not in with anyone now until 11th Sept and that's with my consultant. Don't really want to make an appt just for this as it's not that bad

Could you ring your GP and ask?

• Advertisement

Could you ring your GP and ask?

Yeah i could do. It has eased a bit so ill keep an eye on it.

Im in at one of the ante natal physio classes in the Coombe today, so i might mention it there and see what they say too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I have been getting breathless-ness a bit to Andreac.. Defo in the morning trying to put the boots on. Panned out and ready for a nap by the time I have the boots on... Sure ask to make an appointment if you feel like it would put your mind at ease, remember you are the most important person...Getting it a few times too after doing housework and stuff as well...

The little miss is kicking like mad lately, my sis managed to catch it on video last night you could see the belly moving :)...

Is the first pee really bad then after birth.... More things to look forward too

Milly i heard if you bring a water bottle to squirt on you as you pee it's not too bad. I did hear the first poop after is what's the scary bit :eek:

At a Pilates class im going to, the lady suggested bringing in portions of the All Bran, you know the stick type one lol, not the flakes, and having that throughout your stay in the hospital to try and help the first movement an drink loads and loads of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Ladies is it true you get a catheter in when you get an epidural? If so does it hurt when you get it in? The catheter I mean.

You get the epidural first, then they put the catheter in so your already fairly numb. I certainly didn't feel it or notice them putting it in

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Milly33 wrote: »
    Is the first pee really bad then after birth.... More things to look forward too

Some people say it stings, but if you bring a squirty water bottle in and spray yourself during the wee it 'dilutes' it, apparently. Personally I didn't find having a wee any different to before the birth - never experienced any stinging or anything and I had a whole pile of stitches. I'd say it's different for everyone.

• Advertisement

Oh dear, thats it im stopping all research haha but I shall put a squirty bottle in just incase it is needed. Hoping not to have an epi even more now

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

I had a GP check up last week (week 22) and it was with the practice nurse.  She checked urine and blood pressure.  Then had a feel for the position of the baby and then checked for the heart beat.  We also discussed the whooping cough vaccine, she gave me leaflet and I can get it at the next appointment, also discussed starting on iron as ive been very tired (i got Spatone liquid iron and started taking it today).  
    She asked me if i had any other concerns, problems, symptoms etc i wanted to discuss.  So i mentioned breathlessness and palpitations/heart racing & thumping, i've also being having this - it happens on and off, even when im just lying down (which i do a lot of cause ive tailbone pain since week 14) and it can really take my breath away.  Nearly sorry I mentioned it now given you ladies have it too, it seems to be quite common, but they've referred me for an ECG just to be sure - I think they're being overcautious but its done now anyhow and I'm waiting on an appointment with the hospital for that.  
    The GP came in at the end of the appointment, the nurse summarised our discussions and GP gave her input (she referred me for the ECG) and she also double checked the baby heart beat.  Not sure if its standard practice for the GP to double check what the nurse has done but they always do it at the practice i attend.  
    Something else you might find interesting to read up on, if you havent heard of it, is something called the EpiNo which can help prepare (towards end of pregnacny) for the birth and reduce the risk of tearing or need for an Episiotomy (hence the name 'Epi-No').  Apparently very popular in Central Europe but not so common here though a friends sister used it and found it great supposedly, no stitches etc.

Anyone get the Aldi stuff today? I got loads. Got 2 baby gates, travel cot, monitor, car mirrors, then loads of blankets and bibs etc. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Hi All,

First time posting on here but I've been following the tread from the start. Hope everybody is keeping well!
    Due our first baby on 30th December so 20+5 now and only just starting to let myself believe that its real, is that weird?

When do you need to start buying stuff like cribs and prams? My mother is very old school in not buying baby stuff until baby arrives safely and has always had me this way, but obviously its different when you're actually having it!
    I'd like to get the big things taken care of but also want to leave them as long as possible - if that makes sense!

We've our anomaly scan booked for end of august, we're public in CUMH so they preform them there as standard so we're getting it done privately, think I might feel more relaxed once that's done!

Also, what is the schedule of GP visits, I've had to sign up to a new one in cork as my own GP was back home, so made no sense, but they never really explained how often I should be going there

Sorry for all the questions!

Anyone get the Aldi stuff today? I got loads. Got 2 baby gates, travel cot, monitor, car mirrors, then loads of blankets and bibs etc. Delighted.

Yep I got 2 stair gates, 2 cellular blankets, 4 packs of muslins, 2 pack of bibs, changing bag and car mirror. Spent just under €100 so not bad. A friend was saying their blankets and muslins are great quality too and cheaper than Penneys!
    figrolls wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Due our first baby on 30th December so 20+5 now and only just starting to let myself believe that its real, is that weird?

When do you need to start buying stuff like cribs and prams? My mother is very old school in not buying baby stuff until baby arrives safely and has always had me this way, but obviously its different when you're actually having it!

Also, what is the schedule of GP visits, I've had to sign up to a new one in cork as my own GP was back home, so made no sense, but they never really explained how often I should be going there

Welcome! I think your thinking is very common, I know I still dont think this will end in a healthy baby but I went through years of crap/surgeries/fertility treatments so never thought I would get pregnant. Its hard to get your head around, for me anyway.

We ordered our pram after the anomaly scan was done so at 21 weeks. I bought the car seat and base a while back when Smyths had 20% off. Crib we are borrowing and last week or so have bought some clothes etc. It doesnt make sense to wait for baby to be here and buggies can take weeks to get in etc. As above, Aldi have a baby event on from today so got a good few bits there.

No idea of GP visits as they seem to be different around the country. For me (Galway) I had midwife at 18 weeks, GP is at 24 weeks and back to midwife at 28weeks. Thats all that is scheduled for now. Also have diabetes test around 28 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Figrolls, I'm in Cork too and am 22+2. For me I had the midwife appointment at 12 weeks, consultant at 18 weeks and he told me to see the GP at 24 and 28 weeks then I'm back to the midwife (in Finbarrs) at 32 weeks.

We bought the travel system last Saturday (wasn't planning on it but went mad). Everything else I'm waiting until after my anomaly scan which I have next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Did you buy stair gates for this baby? It will be a year before you need them, I would imagine there will be one or two Aldi/ Lidl sales in that time!

I am 26 weeks now and just got some muslins. I have most things bought/ paid for. My parents are getting the Snuzpod for me and I have to buy a changing table but that's pretty much it.

Did you buy stair gates for this baby? It will be a year before you need them, I would imagine there will be one or two Aldi/ Lidl sales in that time!

No my 18 month old nephew will be at ours for Christmas so need them for that. Also have dogs so be good to have the stairs blocked off once this baby comes.

No my 18 month old nephew will be at ours for Christmas so need them for that. Also have dogs so be good to have the stairs blocked off once this baby comes.

Phew. I thought I was organised but then I saw these posts!

Phew. I thought I was organised but then I saw these posts!

Im also lazy and dont want to have to go back just for the gates again! Although there was only a couple of euro difference between them and Smyths.

• Advertisement

Himself just sent me a pic of the stuff he got today in Aldi, im just weak.. Wish I was there to see him getting the stuff as we havent really gone shopping yet for bits... Daddys little princess me thinks...

Congrats Figrolls!! Think tis really up to yourselves when ye want to start shopping.. We didnt start until after the anomoly scan as such.. I had everything listed what we needed, buggy investigations done as to what we wanted. So after the scan I put a deposit down on a few bits we needed in Tralee Nursery, we got the buggy in a bargin on done deal and then today the little bits in Aldi.

Just thinking now actually haha I had the car seat too, as we got it free and lots of clothes but these were all freebies or good deals.. The only thing we have left to get is the monitor and the cot bed...

Sorry i got gates as i have 4 dogs in the house, lol. So it's more for the dogs, than the baby for moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

Just out of Aldi. Got 3 packs muslins, 2 blankets, 2 hooded towels, 4 bottles and pack of spare teats, a cute bamboo dinner set (couldn't resist) and 280 nappies 😲. Was tempted by some of the bigger items, but didn't know what we'll really be needing yet...

Also finally managed to have a look at the Uppababy Vista and loved it! I thought I was set on the iCandy Orange, but now I'm back to square one... So many decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

I'm in from the November group. Like poster above I have been similarly torn between icandy orange and uppababy vista but have almost decided on the icandy orange. It's so new that I don't know anyone who has used it in real life yet! I love the built in buggy board.

I got the vista, I did like the iCandy but found it very heavy for lifting in and out of the car. Even the carrycot on its own was a bit of a struggle. Im not the strongest obviously but preferred the vista overall too. Dont think the Orange was out when we were looking so it might be lighter than the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

Yep think it is lighter than other models. Both it and the uppababy vista are about 12.5kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I'm due Christmas eve. I had my anomaly scan today and the little one was breech so they couldn't see the spine. Everything else looked ok though. So I am booked in for another scan next week. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm due Christmas eve. I had my anomaly scan today and the little one was breech so they couldn't see the spine. Everything else looked ok though. So I am booked in for another scan next week. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yeah it's pretty normal for the baby to be in a position where there needs to be a recheck. I had to go back as they needed to get a better view of the heart and cord. I am due in November and I get scanned a fair but due to a pre existing medical condition. My baby is usually facing backwards, breech or transverse. It was a disaster trying to find out the gender (it took 4 scans!).

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had that on my last pregnancy, baby was very deeply head down, so I was sent off for a walk and told to get a bottle of cold coke and drink it and hopefully that'd make the baby move, if not I'd be called back. Luckily the coke and walk did the trick and they were able to get the head measurement that day. It's pretty common AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

Second time round here! Have a soon to be 3yr old who was a caesarean delivery. To be honest my chances of a successful vbac are quite low, went 11days over, failed induction -2cm after 24hrs, biggish baby 8lb1oz for my 5ft 8.5st (normally) frame so pretty sure we're going with the planned section route. Like that I know the date and all especially with Christmas & hoping recovery will be quicker with a planned c section. Didn't find it bad on my 1st anyway. I do envy my friends who have gone naturally though!

I feel like if I had of had a failed induction I would definitely want to have a planned c section to avoid an emergency one. I
    I was overdue had high blood pressure and gestational diabetes (have it again). Doctor examined me and said he could barely reach my cervix it was so far back and completely closed, head wasn't engaged at all and baby was face presentation. He basically said he could induce me but he thought it would fail but I could do a trial. The fact that he said it might fail made me choose a c section. I suppose I'd love to just go into labour myself and everything go great but in case of that not happening maybe a book a c section as a back up...just don't want to be induced.

Milly it is nice to have nice things indeed. Get the pram you want!! Also I completely get what you mean about clutter! We are redecorating the house before baby comes ( was in need of doing anyway this has just given us a timeline really) but we are getting a skip and I can't wait to get rid of loads of stuff. Actually I'm in a dilemma myself pram wise..if any of you could be bothered look up the venicci pure in grey denim and the venicci gusto navy and tell me which is nicer. I think I prefer the carrycot on the pure and the pram bit on the gusto. I feel like maybe the gusto is more under stated and slightly more sophisticated.. but then maybe the pure is nicer and better for a baby girl....first world dilemma eh!

Advertisement