Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It is horrible. I was whacking on the lipbalm something fierce, I felt so dry!
    I didn't know that about the water making it easier to get a vein. When I had my GTT a few weeks back one of my veins didn't give any blood at all- maybe that's why.

God I wonder would they even let you suck on an ice cube or something, 12 hours with no liquids at all is a really long time. Actually it's more like 14 hours because I'm assuming you aren't allowed to drink any after the glucose stuff. Was it Lucozade they gave you or something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

I had my Glucose Test on Tuesday last week. Was in for 9am but wasn't seen until 9:20. Had a blood test, then was given a drink called Polycal which was mixed with water. It wasn't bad, no real taste off it. I was told to sit in the waiting room and not to be walking around. Brought back in at 10:20 for another blood test again told to sit in the waiting room and not move and then again at 11:20 for a final one.

I got a banana in the shop on my way out but thought afterwards I should have kept something in my bag to eat afterwards. I fainted after the 2nd blood test so they put me lying down in a room though at that stage I was fine. I hadn't eaten since 8:30pm the previous evening which was silly on my part.

A nurse gave me water after I fainted but the nurse doing the blood test told me to only take a tiny sip because it could effect the test. I didn't drink it because at that stage I was feeling better.

I'm not sure about other hospitals but Mullingar will only ring you if the test comes back positive. I was in on Thursday and asked for my results and thankfully all was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Toots wrote: »
    God I wonder would they even let you suck on an ice cube or something, 12 hours with no liquids at all is a really long time. Actually it's more like 14 hours because I'm assuming you aren't allowed to drink any after the glucose stuff. Was it Lucozade they gave you or something different?

It was a drink in a very medical looking pouch. It tasted like someone stuck a few spoonfuls of sugar in a Capri Sun, I really struggled with it. You have to drink it in 5 minutes. I had palpatations after it! It turns out I have gestational diabetes so maybe thats why. Yeah you can't eat or drink after that either but the want is gone because of the churning stomach! I didn't hang around to have the breakfast after the final test, I went home and had breakie there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I have mine Tuesday and just read the leaflet. Fasting from 10pm night before but can have sips of water. Have to get there at 8am.

Does anyone know if they will consider putting in a canula rather than taking three separate blood tests? I have terribly thin veins and they always struggle to get blood, I cant see it being possible to get three each an hour apart.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Oh god, I think I'd be worse with the canula than 3 separate tests. You could always ask them and see what they say? Ugh, mine's not til the start of November and I'm absolutely dreading it.

Loveinapril did you have any symptoms before you got your diagnosis?

I had my first baby in Holles St and remember you had to ring for your results the next day or else 48 hours later - can't remember which. I'm in the Rotunda this time and the leaflet says you'll be contacted the same day if your tests show you have it.

• Advertisement

Loveinapril did you have any symptoms before you got your diagnosis?

I had my first baby in Holles St and remember you had to ring for your results the next day or else 48 hours later - can't remember which. I'm in the Rotunda this time and the leaflet says you'll be contacted the same day if your tests show you have it.

No symptoms at all. The whole test took about 3 hours and I was home before 11am. Got the dreaded phone call at 12.30pm. They only phone if there is a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Id say they would, well in Galway anywho.. I noticed two other ladies with them in and they were all being tested.. Was thinking the same thing also, would it not be easier to put one in ( I still call them freddies :) ) so id say there would be no problem..

No symptoms at all. The whole test took about 3 hours and I was home before 11am. Got the dreaded phone call at 12.30pm. They only phone if there is a problem.

Oh no! I suppose at least they phone the same day so there isn't too long a wait. Do they let you lie down when they're drawing the blood?

What happens if you do have it, is it more bloods and then visiting the dietician? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Hmm, now I'm confused. I was told 2 blood tests 2 hours apart and I could go back to work (I'm close by) in between by my GP.

Oh no! I suppose at least they phone the same day so there isn't too long a wait. Do they let you lie down when they're drawing the blood?

What happens if you do have it, is it more bloods and then visiting the dietician? :(

I don't know if the seats recline.

They book you in for a "Lifestyle Class" (mine was a week after the results) where they have a midwife, physiotherapist and a dietician talk. You are given a diet plan to follow, then a week later you go back in for fasting and after breakfast bloods (an hour later) and a one on one chat with the dietician. Again, they ring if there is a problem and you have to go on meds. If you have gestational diabetes you have to go back in every 4 weeks up til 28 weeks pregnant, then every 2 weeks after that for the fasting and one hour after breakie bloods. I am 3 weeks into the diet and my body is responding well so I am hoping it stays that way!

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    Hmm, now I'm confused. I was told 2 blood tests 2 hours apart and I could go back to work (I'm close by) in between by my GP.

What hospital? For the Glucose Tolerance Test, the Rotunda have you in for a fasting blood test, you drink the drink, an hour after the first test you have a second test, then a third an hour after that. So mine were at 7.50am, 8.50am and 9.50am.

My GP is doing it but I just checked the form I got from CUMH and it does say fasting bloods then bloods after 2 hours. I'm booked in for 8am and 10am. Fasting from 10pm the night before.

that's right you fast from 10pm the night beforehand, and then it should take around 3 hours.. You go in get one test, have a drink. Then an hour later have another, and the same an hour later

Milly, I was told 2 blood tests 2 hours apart not 3 1 hour apart.

It was 3 in the hospital anywho, maybe the GP does it different.. Best to ring I suppose and ask

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skullsocks

I am 28 weeks and have not had a diabetes test (registered with Holles st). Is this something every one gets? No one has mentioned it to me

skullsocks wrote: »
    I am 28 weeks and have not had a diabetes test (registered with Holles st). Is this something every one gets? No one has mentioned it to me

No it's just if you have a risk factor.

You need to have a risk factor, or AFAIK if they detect high glucose levels in your urine samples when you're in for your appointments they may send you for one. In Holles st they do 2 types - Glucose Challenge and Glucose Tolerance. The challenge is you go in (don't have to fast beforehand) and get the drink, then they draw blood an hour later. If that shows high, they'll send you for the tolerance test which is you go in first thing after fasting for at least 12 hours - 1 blood draw done to get a baseline, then you get the drink, then you'll have another blood draw after 1 hour, then another one after a second hour.

Oh god, I think I'd be worse with the canula than 3 separate tests. You could always ask them and see what they say?

I just know they wont be able to get a vein three times, I have one that works and they struggle to get enough out of that, maybe it'll be ok an hour later but I dunno. Said it to my husband last night (hes a paramedic) and he said that the cannula might need to be flushed to make sure it stays open when its not being used but I dunno. Will ask and see.
    Milly33 wrote: »
    Id say they would, well in Galway anywho.. I noticed two other ladies with them in and they were all being tested..

Im Galway so will ask and see what they say. Dreading it.

No, I am only getting it as I am over 30, only risk factor I have. Some hospitals only do it over 35.

I wonder would they just sedate me after the drink and draw the blood while I'm unconscious! Why do they have to do those tubes of blood? I wish they could just do the finger prick thing, that would be so much less gross.

• Advertisement

I find singing helps I know it sounds daft but if ye find something to concentrate on other than the needle it works as a distraction.. Even say it to the nurses beforehand..

Lashes there is a lovely young nurse in Galway, darn I cant think of her name now, could be Spanish but she is so nice..

I just said to her I would start babbling about all types of nonsense and maybe belt out a bit of Disney or India Jones to get through it and all was good..Even just bee boop through it, find it works great..

Into the last trimester today whooopp tis flying by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

I had my Glucose Test on Tuesday last week. Was in for 9am but wasn't seen until 9:20. Had a blood test, then was given a drink called Polycal which was mixed with water. It wasn't bad, no real taste off it. I was told to sit in the waiting room and not to be walking around. Brought back in at 10:20 for another blood test again told to sit in the waiting room and not move and then again at 11:20 for a final one.

I got a banana in the shop on my way out but thought afterwards I should have kept something in my bag to eat afterwards. I fainted after the 2nd blood test so they put me lying down in a room though at that stage I was fine. I hadn't eaten since 8:30pm the previous evening which was silly on my part.

A nurse gave me water after I fainted but the nurse doing the blood test told me to only take a tiny sip because it could effect the test. I didn't drink it because at that stage I was feeling better.

I'm not sure about other hospitals but Mullingar will only ring you if the test comes back positive. I was in on Thursday and asked for my results and thankfully all was good.

I'm in mullingar (private) and was told I didn't have to fast, my appointment isn't til 3pm, there's a different test they can do I guess. I case anyone has a history of fainting! I did have to fast on my son so questioned it and she said nope it's a different method. Maybe it's the tolerance challenge?

Could be the challenge. I wish the Rotunda did the challenge instead of the tolerance test straight away :(

All done with the test, wasnt too bad and time went quick enough. I was in at 740 but they didnt take me til 830 so was out at 1030. Just getting breakfast now and will head to work. Said I will know within a week and if I have it I wont be abke to attend midwife clinic away from the hospital anymore which is a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I haven't heard anything about a glucose test yet, so i must be ok or could i still get word?

Had my appt with the consultant yesterday. I found out a few things i was wondering about.

As im due the 15th December i asked about the whole Christmas thing. He said the max he would let me go over is 10 days, which would bring me to Christmas day, but, that they wouldn't bring me in on Christmas Day to induce. So looks like i will be brought in earlier to be induced if i don't go myself.
    He also said he doesn't do sweeps. He said his Doctorate is on the cervix etc and that he doesn't carry them out.

See they aren't that bad Lashes, they make it sound worse than it is...

You prob don't need one so Andrea, I am sure they would let you know if you did..... Happy you got some answers then...

Feeling really tired the last two days just cant get my arse in gear

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Thanks so much for this list. I'm going to start getting the baby bits together now. Would you recommend 0-1 month sized baby stuff as another poster said? First time here and I haven't a clue.

Woops, just saw this!Yep M&S do good up to one month size vests and babygros.They're a bit pricier but a couple of packets of them, and then maybe go elsewhere for a couple of newborn ones, and a couple of 0-3 month ones would see you sorted.My first got 6/7 weeks out of them, and she was 7lb9, so it wasn't like she was tiny!Personally I find M&s stuff to be the best quality, although I know it's a bit more expensive.Their sizes are big too, so you get a few weeks extra from them.

If it's your first.....I cannot describe how much stuff you will get from people, so maybe don't go too overboard buying older baby clothes .We got mountains of clothes as presents!!!!Poor No.2 didn't even compare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Quick question regarding your maternity benefit/leave application form.

If you are going to take the extra unpaid leave, do you put that date on the form when you are due to come back or just the 26 weeks one as that is the one that you paid for?
    I am going to take the extra 16 weeks for definite, but not sure whether it's that date that goes on it, or just your 26 weeks.

I have a question too :) has anyone come across or would recommend any antenatal classes online? Just an idea I was thinking off.. Well by choice as himself cant go along to them I really don't feel like going to the antenatal classes in the hospital. I looked into private ones so that is still an option, but was thinking of maybe online ones.. Anyone who I have spoken too has more or less say the classes if you kinda know the basics, well said they would not bother with them. So just looking at different ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

andreac wrote: »
    Quick question regarding your maternity benefit/leave application form.

If you are going to take the extra unpaid leave, do you put that date on the form when you are due to come back or just the 26 weeks one as that is the one that you paid for?
    I am going to take the extra 16 weeks for definite, but not sure whether it's that date that goes on it, or just your 26 weeks.

Pretty sure it's the 26 week date for the government form. Our work HR one has 2sections, one with 26weeks and the second with how many unpaid weeks but you can update this with the relevant notice during paid maternity leave.

Advertisement