Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

coffeyt wrote: »
    Hi, not pregnant but I used to be woken up with horrendous leg cramps at night in the late stages of both my pregnancies, my mum advised eating a banana before bed (assume it's an old wives tale), she mentioned it can be caused by low potassium but whatever it was the banana worked a treat!
    Yeah the banana thing is true - they're full of potassium. You have to be careful if you've got gestational diabetes though because they're quite high on sugars as well. Potatoes are also high in potassium but not as convenient to grab when a leg cramp strikes :pac:
    andreac wrote: »
    I've had a few episodes of leg cramps too. Not nice at all. They say tonic water with the quinine in it helps too.

Ladies any tips on swollen fingers and trying to get my engagement ring off?
    I got my wedding ring off few weeks ago but my engagement ring was still ok so I left it on. But the last day or so I've started swelling a bit. I'm hoping I'll get a day where I'm not as swollen and can get it off.
    I've tried putting ice pack on it this morn and fairy liquid etc but not happening.

I used copious amounts of vaseline and that did the trick. Just don't go at it for ages because your finger could swell more, just try for a minute or two and then leave it and try again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh we just put the cotbed together, or well himself did and I took pics and cleaned.. Looks sweet wasn't sure how it would fit in the room but fits fine and we still have lots of space....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

This just popped up on my Facebook and I thought it was an interesting way of describing how labour works and the point of the contractions so thought I’d share. It’s not graphic or anything in case anyone is squeamish and afraid to click!

https://www.herfamily.ie/pregnancy/video-explains-childbirth-much-better-anything-ever-seen-284837?preview=1

That's why I thought the doula was good, went through stuff just like that video, actually explaining what your body was doing rather than saying you just have an urge to push

Exactly. We kind of covered it in the antenatal classes we went to but it was less visual. I think it’s good to understand that each contraction (and the pain!) is progressing towards the baby being born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

I haven't been on in ages >_< Can't believe how quickly time is going...5 weeks left for me :O Started Antenatal Classes last week but I have to say that video bee posted explains it better. I'm getting the 'lightening' pains and a sore back other than that all is ok. I've had to take off my rings though after an hour of work I'm like the Michelin man and I don't want them getting stuck!

How is everyone else feeling?

I’m 5 weeks on Tuesday. It’s crazy how close it is even if it feels like I’ve been pregnant for years! Have two weeks of work left as well. Can’t wait to finish up.

I think I’m starting to feel the lightening pains as well today. I went for a “long” walk earlier and I think gravity did it’s job or else I just overdid the exercise. We’ll see tomorrow. Up to now I haven’t had any pain at all. Still no swelling either.

Tis beginning to feel a lot like Baby Time!!! Went shopping today for a few bits and well 2 hrs of shopping and got the round ligament pain, I think it was from walking faster than a tortoise trying to make a shop before it closed. Really thought it was an early labour pain.. But nope, finished the day off with a lovely dinner in Ennis was such a nice trip.. Say a couple in the shop with a baby id say only a few weeks old and his dad was just weak for him, nearly got me going ahhhhhh....

My Facebook is full of baby articles at the moment! I thought this was a really nice explanation of what our babies will being going though after the first few months after birth as the adjust to “the real world”.

https://sarahockwell-smith.com/2012/11/04/the-fourth-trimester-aka-why-your-newborn-baby-is-only-happy-in-your-arms/

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

Just wondering if any of you ladies have had stabby vaginal pains? I've been getting them on & off the last two weeks, usually when I'm on the couch and baby is, or has been, active. Just wondering what they are? They're sharp enough to make me wince and sometimes they're sharp enough to make jump. I googled Braxton Hicks but I think they're higher up so wasn't sure.

I may see the GP this week so I guess I should probably mention it, I forgot last week when I was there and in the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Just wondering if any of you ladies have had stabby vaginal pains? I've been getting them on & off the last two weeks, usually when I'm on the couch and baby is, or has been, active. Just wondering what they are? They're sharp enough to make me wince and sometimes they're sharp enough to make jump. I googled Braxton Hicks but I think they're higher up so wasn't sure.

I may see the GP this week so I guess I should probably mention it, I forgot last week when I was there and in the hospital.

Jumping in from the January thread - omg yes to the stabby pains! If I didn't know better, I'd swear she was trying to dig her way out. I had them on my first pregnancy as well and they were fine, but mention it to your GP just in case. First time around I mentioned it at an antenatal appointment and they took some swabs just to rule out an infection or anything.

Toots wrote: »
    Jumping in from the January thread - omg yes to the stabby pains! If I didn't know better, I'd swear she was trying to dig her way out. I had them on my first pregnancy as well and they were fine, but mention it to your GP just in case. First time around I mentioned it at an antenatal appointment and they took some swabs just to rule out an infection or anything.

Thanks for that, I'll mention it on my next Appt... Maybe it's a sign it's getting ready to exit and therefore won't be overdue...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

In from the February thread. I get that too. Less so now because I'm seeing an osteopath for pelvic girdle pain. That's what I assumed the stabbing pain was. Definitely mention it to your GP. It's quite uncomfortable and a mini shock cause you're not expecting it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I cant believe I am 36 weeks pregnant, its just so bizarre as I never thought it would happen. I need to get my head in the game! Also need to pack my hospital bag, that is on the list for this week!

Yes to the stabbing pain also - christ it would lift ya sometimes its so sharp. It has calmed down though the last few weeks thankfully. I never mention these things at my appointments as I just assume they are normal, maybe thats not the best approach!

Seeing my GP tomorrow, going to ask for tablets for the heartburn as I am going through a crazy amount of Gaviscon.

Ok sounds like the stabby pains are fairly normal if you ladies have all had them too - they really would lift you out of it sometimes. I'll mention it at the next appt anyhow, I'm like you lashes, I tend not to mention most stuff cause I assume it's normal and ya just havta suck it up as seems to be the case with most pregnancy discomforts. It had better not be Pelvic Girdle pain setting in, I've had 6 moths of pain as it is with this pregnancy with constant tailbone and upper back pain, I can't take anything more! The next few weeks can't go quick enough so I can hopefully start getting some pain relief...although not quite sure I'm ready to be somebody's mother either...getting too real now...eek!

Lashes I don't envy you with the gaviscon, it's vile stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

Popping in from the July 2017 forum !
    The stabbing pain is normal unfortunately. It's a good sign though , the head is engaging when they happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

February thread here - completely normal unfortunately! The lesser spotted fanny daggers :pac:

Also going through a crazy amount of Gaviscon. Carrying high and suspect that baby is transverse at the moment and every afternoon is Heartburn Fest 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi all, just wondering has this happened to anyone here? I had a scan today at 33 weeks and I past out while I was being scanned. Must admit first time it happened and I’ve gotten a fright. Doctor says it’s common enough and it’s the uterus pressing down on the vein in my back. You know the whole reason why you shouldn’t lie on your back!

Anyone just wondering has it happened to anyone here? Also feel rotten all day ever since. Pregnancy just doesn’t get any easier :(

Yes happened me three times in the one week about 2 weeks ago; didn't fully pass out but was very close to it - first time lying back in dentists chair, next time reclined back in a monitoring chair in the hospital and then lastly lying on my back on the couch at home one evening. In the hospital they said to me about the vein in your back also. And the fact your heart is trying to pump more blood around two bodies.
    For me I feel it's more prone to happen when my body is drained (from pain, lack of sleep etc), not sure if there's any science in that - the midwives/nurses in the hospital insist my blood pressure should be high when I'm in pain, not low - but I take it as a reflection of how my body is coping with everything/tough days. I slept awful the past few nights and I felt sick any time I lay on my back today!

At least now you can be aware of it and just stop what your doing and ask for help if you think it's going go to happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I haven't passed out from it but have very often felt dizzy, sick, lightheaded etc and have to get up, if I stayed down longer I'd probably pass out. Worst was last week in hospital at 39 weeks being made to lie on my back for a trace on the baby so many times, always makes my pulse go high and makes me feel dizzy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Thanks for such speedy replies.

Yeah maybe as I haven’t been feeling great all week, kinda feel like my body is heavy. You know that fluey aches you get when sick and I vomited throughout the first trimester and that has returned. So I agree there might be something in that making me more prone to fainting.

Yes I guess if it happens again I won’t get as much of a fright! But I never knew how serious it was the whole not lying on your back ;) def understand now why I shouldn’t!

I got the travel system second hand from a (hygiene obsessive) friend and I plan on using the pram/bassinet for baby to sleep in downstairs (only, has new crib upstairs) ... should I be buying a new mattress for it given it's going to be used for sleeping in..?

I got the travel system second hand from a (hygiene obsessive) friend and I plan on using the pram/bassinet for baby to sleep in downstairs (only, has new crib upstairs) ... should I be buying a new mattress for it given it's going to be used for sleeping in..?

Yep, you should always buy a new mattress for each baby.

Back in whoops 3ish weeks to go... Took out last spin home this week to catch up with family and it was great. The parents are all excited, cannot wait for them to meet their grand-daughter! The ankles are huge, remind me of my nans.. I ddint have small ones anyone but now they are like twice the size. They look horrendous..

We didn't bother with the new mattress for the bassinet, got second hand too but knew the person.. Have cleaned both of them with some tea tree spray...

Oh everyone is vey quiet on here lately... Man I'm so over being pregnant just want the little misses out now.. The sniffels have finally gone but still cant sleep...How is everyone else feeling

I'm with you Milly, I am totally over all this.

Killed with SPD, the Osteopath hasnt helped unfortunately, went to her again yesterday and I dont know if there is a trapped nerve or what but I now cant lie on my right side without a burning/sharp pain in my hip. My hips + shoulders are killing in general from sleeping/not sleeping on my side.

Got tabs for heartburn and while they decrease it I am still going strong with the Gaviscon but there is an improvement which is something.

Awake most of last night and have a sore throat and headache since this morning. Am feeling very sorry for myself at the min.

It just sucks, need this baby out.

Still havent packed my bag, just dont have the energy and hubby is away for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's over this!!! 34 and a half weeks and can't imagine how I'm going to last another 6!

Have been having trouble with my back and sleep all through the pregnancy and recently just keep getting sick,it's been one thing after another, so have told work I need to use my annual leave days to go down to three days a week for the next four weeks- their response- basically loading on five days work and then some to get through in three days! I just can't seem to get the bwlwnce right

Packed the bags today,made it feel very real, just the last few bits to get now and then to collect the travel system and bedside crib in mid December and were as ready as we're going to be

The only thing keeping me going it people have more than one kid, so it can't really be that bad and I'm just in a feeling sorry for myself funk, right?!

Sorry for the moan, feels good having a rant!

Away for 3 weeks, oh dear hope you are ok!! Sounsd like you are having a fairly crap few weeks... Have you tried sleeping with and extra pillow on the side and that to help take some weight off would that help I wonder...

I found the heartburn easying a bit lately thank god, those trebor xxx mints worked handy but well I was eating them by the packet along with that mank gaviscon at night. Jes that stuff is awfull, I wont even say what it reminds me of and it taste rotten but found it works..

I'm just going online there to book into the Loughrea spa there for a back, neck and shoulder massage and a few treats, was thinking we could save the money but feck that need TLC.. Could let you know if tis any good...

Sure the packing can be done in a few hours, anywho maybe if you make out a list and then he can just nab the stuff and put it in a bag for you... take care of yourself

Haha see figrolls you are just thinking nicely about people with more kids, I was thinking that too the other day struggling to get shoes on and do basic stuff, then a lady said well the kids help!! So that's it, only messing of course any women that does this with kids is just wonder women

• Advertisement

figrolls wrote: »
    So have told work I need to use my annual leave days to go down to three days a week for the next four weeks- their response- basically loading on five days work and then some to get through in three days! I just can't seem to get the bwlwnce right

Thats a pretty crappy response from them. Do they pay sick leave? If so could you use that and not your annual leave. When I spoke to my boss about the pain Im in they were very good about me going down to 3 days and am using sick leave. Worth a shot?
    Milly33 wrote: »
    Away for 3 weeks, oh dear hope you are ok!! Have you tried sleeping with and extra pillow on the side and that to help take some weight off would that help I wonder...

I'm just going online there to book into the Loughrea spa there for a back, neck and shoulder massage and a few treats, was thinking we could save the money but feck that need TLC.. Could let you know if tis any good...

Sure the packing can be done in a few hours, anywho maybe if you make out a list and then he can just nab the stuff and put it in a bag for you... take care of yourself

Well we are in the second week and hes home at weekends so not too bad. He has a week off then which will be the first week of my maternity leave. So hoping I go that week!

I am going to The Sanctuary for a massage on Saturday and cannot wait. Rang them when I was 31 weeks and had to wait 6 weeks for a Saturday appointment!

Bags pretty much packed last night thankfully, few bits to throw in but nearly there.

Advertisement