Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hi Andreac, what are the antibotics for then if you don't mind me asking? Just good to know all.. Good choice to stay put, the weather is after turning very cold and you don't want to get stuck anywhere. I hope she moves now for you.. Could try the old pressure points. The doula was telling us about then and herself did move when I done it.. between your thumb and the next finger a space in there ( I know if for pain for some reason) but it helps to release something to get things going.. No 5 here http://www.momjunction.com/articles/how-to-induce-labor-with-acupressure_00119638/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Once your waters break and no baby coming there's a risk of infection, so they give you 18 hours and then start on antibiotics just in case, until baby comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

andreac wrote: »
    Once your waters break and no baby coming there's a risk of infection, so they give you 18 hours and then start on antibiotics just in case, until baby comes.

I was given IV Penicillen about 13 hours after my waters broke as they knew the baby wouldn't be here within the 18 hours (he is 3 weeks old now). I was pretty p!ssed off as it meant another canula!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Not in every hospital. I went 40 hours after waters broke with no antibiotics given/offered. Usually they (the hospital I attended) give you 24 hours to go from waters breaking to established labour but you must come in for assessment once waters break. In hindsight I'd have stayed at home though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Is it you that has strep b andrea(sorry if I'm confusing you with someone else!) If so, that may be it...

• Advertisement

No not me Shesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

How did today go Andrea? Hope it all goes smoothly and quickly for you!

Still waiting. Getting very mild pains every 20 mins or so at the mo.
    Think it will be tomorrow at this stage as it's taking it's time.

Still waiting. Getting very mild pains every 20 mins or so at the mo.
    Think it will be tomorrow at this stage as it's taking it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

Had baby last month and waters went but labour didn't start. Hospital let me go home when all was well with the checks but I had to go back in to start antibiotics after 18 hours, standard procedure in my hospital. I was induced the next afternoon when I still hadn't gone into labour, that was about 30 hrs after waters broke, would've been closer to 24 hrs but I had to wait for a delivery room to become available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Looks like my waters have gone!!

No pains yet but will give hospital a ring soon and may go in to be checked, just in case later.

Best of luck with it! Very exciting times!

Thanks Andreac!! Have to say tis the first I heard about the antibiotic, I really do think I'm flying under the radar in the hospital there is still lots I haven't spoken to them about.. Anywho, sitting here bouncing on the ball for a while to see if I can get things moving, someone else suggested to himself that doing squats and walking up and down the stairs like a crab could work... :)

Cant wait to hear updates

Baby girl born at 7.47am this morn. 6lb 8. Named her Lauren. Will fill you in on all the gorey details again....
    But get the epidural as soon as you can is all I'll say. I flew from 3-4cm to 8-9 in like an hour and nearly didn't get it. I was in bits!! Thankfully my consultant told them to go ahead and give it to me.

Aw brilliant news, delighted its over you. Also jealous! Just want it over with now!

Enjoy your little girl!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Congratulations andreac!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 decmum

Baby girl born at 7.47am this morn. 6lb 8. Named her Lauren. Will fill you in on all the gorey details again....
    But get the epidural as soon as you can is all I'll say. I flew from 3-4cm to 8-9 in like an hour and nearly didn't get it. I was in bits!! Thankfully my consultant told them to go ahead and give it to me.
    Congrats enjoy your bundle of joy

• Registered Users Posts: 36 decmum

Due the 18th but booked in for section on Monday morning can't wait, I'm counting the hours

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

Congrats Andreac. A nice Xmas ahead for you now.

Best of luck Decmum, will be lovely to be home for Xmas too!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skullsocks

Congrats! Hope you and baby girl are getting some rest.

Congratulations to you and ye!!! So happy for you...Love the name hope you get some sleep this evening now and you can relax

• Advertisement

Good luck decmum!

Thought something was starting last night, had pains on and off and felt really sick but fell asleep and all was back to normal this morning. Hopefully its my body getting ready.

Have appointment Tuesday and they said they'd do a sweep so hoping that'll get things moving. Just dont want to wait for 10 days over to be induced and possibly in over xmas.

How's everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

Awh is that our first December baby??!! Congrats Andreac!

I’ve a week left due 17th. Think I’ll be induced the 27th if I don’t go myself but I’m sure they’ll tell me at my appointment on Friday in the hospital? I finally packed the hospital bag today! Baby has definitely dropped and I’m getting cramps but nothing coming of them. Feel like a beached whale at this stage.

Best of luck decmum very exciting, it must be great to know the exact date...
    Due the 11th now, had the hospital app last week and they offered me the sweep there and then, but was just taken a little by surprise as it was never mentioned before, so didn't take them up on the offer. Kinda thinking should I have but then sure twill be grand.. Had a few little twinges here and there but nothing major really hope she arrives soon..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

For what its worth Milly, the sweep option is probably better after your due date and if you're feeling cramps....it's a very hit and miss thing, (although it is doesn't feel that way, it's so uncomfortable!!)no guarantees at all that it will help.They will offer it (especially at this time.of year!!!) but don't feel bad about not taking it, it is your body.Out of desperation I asked for one at 41 weeks on my second, I had been in slow pre-labour for a good three weeks then and I was sure it just needed a little nudge to get going !!! She still went to 12 days over before deciding to come!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

Can I be a total idiot here and ask what a sweep is? Better yet I should prob just google it. There’s so much I still don’t know!! I’m hoping at my app this week they will give me a date of when to be induced they had said they’d let me go 10 days over.

It’s startig to get so exciting though I hope no one has to drive in that weather today. The snow that fell here last night is so heavy....

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Can I be a total idiot here and ask what a sweep is? Better yet I should prob just google it. There’s so much I still don’t know!! I’m hoping at my app this week they will give me a date of when to be induced they had said they’d let me go 10 days over.

It’s startig to get so exciting though I hope no one has to drive in that weather today. The snow that fell here last night is so heavy....

http://birthtobaby.ie/to-sweep-or-not-to-sweep/

Good explanation here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

jadie wrote: »

That is a good explanation. I’m leaning towards no based on the odds. 1 in 8 is a bit crap considering what involved and the possible risks.

Thanks Shesty! I was just kinda taking back with it, if they had even mentioned it before I would have maybe thought about it but it was surprise. Here we over you this uncomfortable sweep!!, what would you like to do?

Is it vey uncomfy then, she didn't really explain much but she did say it wasn't the nicest...LittleBo don't worry, didn't know either myself until the doc said it.. There has been not mention of it all along.....

3 weeks in labour man poor you... The things we women have to go through.. My bottle of vino at Christmas is getting bigger and bigger... :) The heartburn this weekend is getting really annoying it wont bugger off..

Had a lovely weekend though surprise visit from my parents on Friday for the weekend. Went Christmas tree shopping, went to the pub
    :), lovely take out, and tree decorating.. They headed off this morning as they had to in the snow but thank god it wasn't slippy.. I think tis actually fine once you get passed Gort.. Up early went for a walk with the dog, back to chill now for the day.. Twas lovely

I don't generally do exaggeration, but honestly I found very, very uncomfortable.The baby reacted to it too, she kind of jumped back and upwards in there which added to the yuck feeling of it all.It's quick and if you are totally fed up, I can understand it.But I have had a lot of internal exams while pregnant and a good bit of interference, plus giving birth twice, and I will not be asking them to do a sweep again.They offered to do it again at the 42 week appointment but there was no way that was happening, I was too sore!!!

There's a word for the type of labour I was in for those few weeks.....pro-dromal I think I was told?It's kind of stoppy starty.Never quite as intense as the real thing but still a total pain!!!I was utterly fed up by the time the first real contractions finally hit, - part of me was thrilled to feel them!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I didn't find the sweep too bad, uncomfortable and weird but over quickly. Mine was done at 39 weeks exactly with a second scheduled for three days later as the doctor had little hope of the first doing anything, but I lost the plug the following day, waters broke four hours later and pains started almost immediately after that.

Advertisement