Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

bee06 wrote: »
    Figrolls, if you time your pains proper contractions will get closer and closer together and last for longer. If in doubt ring the hospital first.

Just aswell I rang the hospital, baby boy was born just before 3am, waters had to be broken at 8cms.

I’m shattered and totally in love already. My poor husband was in an awful way, he never thought I’d go early!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hello ladies hello... Finally back home and well, ok our beautiful little girl is here at last but well it was fun and today trying to get home has been rather stressfull, tyring to figure out now if she is doing ok on the breastfeed I think she is but himself keeps saying she is quiet.. I don't want to be the look I'm right but me thinks I am...

Anywho back to it we have our little angel here... With the best head of black hair, it is so funny I love it... Ill be back with all the details I see my batts is about to die and I cant walk that fast anymore Happy Chrismtas Everyone

Talk to the hospital lactation consultant or call in a private one if you are concerned.Is she relaxed after a feed, are her hands relaxed as if she's in sleep?And she's feeding quite regularly?she's probab ok if so, but don't be afraid to ask if you're worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

figrolls wrote: »
    Just aswell I rang the hospital, baby boy was born just before 3am, waters had to be broken at 8cms.

I’m shattered and totally in love already. My poor husband was in an awful way, he never thought I’d go early!

Wow! Congrats!

Milly, if Galway have a Cuidiu group you could join the Facebook group. The Cork one is really good. Loads of women as questions about stuff they want a second opinion on and get really quick answers. They also have lactation consultants you can call for a chat and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

figrolls wrote: »

Wow congratulations figrolls that’s great news! A Christmas baby ! Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Wow! Congrats!

Milly, if Galway have a Cuidiu group you could join the Facebook group. The Cork one is really good. Loads of women as questions about stuff they want a second opinion on and get really quick answers. They also have lactation consultants you can call for a chat and advice.

There's great Cuidiu groups in Galway, most have very active fb pages except the Ballinasloe one but it is there. Also bf group in Health Centre in Ballinasloe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Congrats Figrolls!! So happy for you glad it went so quickly... Hope ye are both just loving it..

I have to say the feeling is just magical, people were saying to me you would forget about the pain pretty quick and I was like yeah right, but thinking now I'm just so in love with her...

Thanks for the suggestions dya know I might give Cuidiu a call (not the most positive assured about any hospital group at the moment) and got on great with the doula so tis n harm to have a back up plan..

Her hands and feet, well her feet are relaxed but she loves moving her hands around also twisting them or she was kind of massaging my boob herself (which I think was due to me having a practice with the pump and maybe taking that feeds feed if you get me).. Feeling much better today about the breastfeeding after a much needed sleep last night.. Himself who is just been so supportive looked after her last night for me. We used one of those Aptimal bottles from the hospital for the feed.. They spew so much on them tis weird...

So birthing story how it all went..

Went into hospital on the Thursday for the induction, told to be there for 8. Went out to wait in the reg reception as the room was full.. Then got told around 8.30 to head away until 10am as they were so busy. Went for brekkie across the road. Well needed I must say so got fuelled up for the day with a big stack of pancakes and coffee.. Could feel she was kinda getting lower and that so we were just so happy.. Went back over and was told to head to St. Catherines that a bed would be ready..

Had to laugh then, went in.. No passing nurse asked were we ok. So walked around passed the office twice, then finally stood at the door and the nurse was a bit shocked we were there. Aske if we were ok, I said yeah that we were told to come up that a bed was ready for us.. And she was like saying for what, I just started laughing and said mmm to have a baby.. Her face was still just utterly blank.. :) we were in stitches.. Got bed all good, then asked for a ball and that, hung around for the doctor to call in.. Doc called in for the first round of gels, oh they are fine but it does make you feel a but ouch steady on there misses.. Headed off told me they would be back at I don't know 6 or something for the next round. Nothing happened, so net round came got that, nothing much then..

Bounced around the place, listened to music walked the wards.. We done 9km I think from his phone track... Got a great surprise them my parents came up around 8pm...Was great himself was free to go off then and get food and not worry. Doc said they would be back in the morning with more gel and a check.. Himself headed home around 10ish and I remember lying in bed, thinking mmm there is twinge, so got ready to relax and breath.. Pains started at 10 to 11.. And wow they came in fast.. Said I would go out and tell the nurse, and she was yeah grand do you want to go for a shower or anything, said I would but quickly changed my mind as I was thinking get to peeing pronto as I wont be able to. Pains were coming in a blast of three then.. Was managing with breathing but heavy, himself was on the way back. Called the nurse told her and she was all well he cant come back in now as it is passed the hours. So I will have to get up and go out the front in the ward fine but could not stay in bed. She ignored him when he buzzed to come in to, only for me spotting him when walking he would have been ages there.

And they ignored us when I was walking back down in pretty heavy pain now..Got the first kinda what I thought was waters breaking then, so was in the loo and he called her. She came up and said it was them but they had poo in them, so she said to come back to the room and wed get things sorted. Could not move then, and she more or less came back as if like why you still here I'm waiting.. Went back and started to change, moved into labour ward. The women didn't even offer to help us with the bags or anything or help when I was trying to sort stuff.. Labour room was a but much of the same. Midwife was lovely but pissed me off a lot with telling me not to breath in on the gas until I was in pain, which the doula had said to breath in at the end of the contraction for the next pain to make it easier, and this is what we were doing and it was working fine until she started to f it up.. I was really just looking at her going the pains are just that f-ing bad lady.. Went to the loo which had no roll or anything,when I told her this she nicely handed me three sheets of stuff..

Went from here then, to having the epidural, which is heaven any lady worried about it. Go for it.. It does not hurt in the slightest.. I was the last one the lady was seeing that night and she even said she was just dying to go home and sorry if she was short with me.. It was great.. From here, then it went to lots of internal exams with cms improving. Then the drip which I wasn't impressed with but they told me that this would be it. We would have her here soon. Inbetween had to have this exam where they pin prick her head, fine again not nice but had to get it done. Also had to get a monitor attached to her head.... CMs were improving all the time, was given hight hopes around 7.30 we were at 8cms and was just weak to have it over with...Then change of plan again emergency section as they were worried she was now still 6cms.. Went for emergency c section then at 10ish and our little angel arrived at around 10.20... The section is weird but ok no pain a bit freaky.. And she came out covered in poop I was like mmmm defo need a clean up on aisle 1..The team here were fantastic could not say more about them...

I cant say either of us have been inspired by UHG and whatever the feck they were doing.. Some of the nurse just need some people skills.. Most granted are fantastic and the midwife we had for the longest period of time was heaven we really got on well with her. I just think they kinda forgot to tell us about a lot of stuff or nearly experimented with us to see what they could do... Kind felt used, the after care then great if you are in that middle room in front of the reception but your quickly forgotten about that's all ill say if you are anyway healthy looking... Information given all depends on who you ask, there is lots of crap.. Stressed me out so much on Christmas day I was fit to sign the two of us out.. Was expecting to be at the latest leaving 1 and it was close on 5 and that was after telling them that we were going to discharge ourselves..

Home on day two and it has been heaven, still in the PJS haven't even washed just chilling...And she is being super today has been fun opening some pressies. The feeding is going grand have just chilled and gone with when she wants...Was close to just saying we would go on formula but ill try for another bit.. Sorry about any waffling just gets me goat with what happened all for the best cause ever, but man if they left me back in there id be ready to tell a few people what I think...

Just bear in mind with replacing feeds with formula that when you do this it tells your body baby doesn't need milk at that time, so it won't be there tomorrow when baby looks for it. Milk production works on supply and demand, formula can effect establishing supply because your body thinks you need less milk than baby would actually like/need. Similarly pumping so early can affect it too so isn't recommended unless medically required.

Breastfeeding Mammies in Galway and Breastfeeding in Ireland are some of the great fb groups too.

God Milly sounds like a nightmare. Imagine you are in labour but he’s not allowed in. What’s tha all about? Sounds like they’ve become a little desensitised. They might have seen 100’s of births but this is your first and a bit of kindness goes a long way.

But you have survived it and it’s all worth it. Thanks for sharing your experience, something for the rest of us to be grinning about!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

Thanks for the update Milly, good to hear that despite some poor experiences you are both safe & well and home. I'm checking in tomorrow morning for induction at 14 days over. Glad the end is in sight but dreading induction too. Things weren't very favourable at my check up/scan on Saturday and I don't feel much has changed since, despite lots of ball time and still lots of lightening pains, back pains etc. But you never know I guess. Fingers crossed the induction will work!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Can't speak for the induction experience but unfortunately most else sounds familiar Milly.I think it's because they are so understaffed and also communication can be poor between nurses and doctors and other staff.Also advice on breastfeeding ranges from the suble to the ridiculous, I have heard many many varied pieces of advice from different midwives too.I would always tell people to speak up amd ask your question or voice your concern, and keep voicing it, no matter how stupid you feel or what reaction you get.It's your body at the end of the day and once you go into the hospital you kind of fall into the medical machinery of labour and birth, and while I do think they do a superb job, I also think they forget that at the end of the day they are (should be) bystanders to a certain degree....assisting but not trying to control it where possible.(I can't bear being touched during labour personally).

As for the breastfeeding, good advice to join a group.Also I meant when she seems to finish a feed are her hands relaxed....they do pump their hands when feeding to stimulate the milk flow from the breast.

If you do think you would like to breastfeed but use forumla too, I would suggest you pick a couple of feeds in a day to use formula (so say she'll have a bottle at 9pm for bedtime-in theory allowing you to get a stretch of sleep from 6-12, while OH does that feed), but in order to get your supply in (assuming you wamt that),you'll have to let her keep feeding....once you start using formula, your body will stop producing milk as there will be no demand for it.But it depends on what you want to do yourself.

• Advertisement

Best of luck justwhati think!! You will do great just remember though it is about ye and as Shesty it saying here do not be afraid to pipe up and ask you questions or say you want it this way or that way.. You can be demanding and have every right to be...

OK, I’m so over this now ... this baby needs to come out now! I’m so uncomfortable, the baby must have moved yesterday and is resting on a nerve so I’m in crazy pain on my left side and got about 3 and a half hours sleep last night. My poor husband made a lovely steak dinner last night and I couldn’t eat any of it because the pain was making me sick.

Induction on Friday can’t come soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Wow figrolls that was lucky you went in! Congrats!

Glad its all over you Milly and welcome home!

Good luck bee, hopefully you go yourself before induction.

lashes34 wrote: »
    Good luck bee, hopefully you go yourself before induction.

Thanks Lashes, nothing happening again today so this baby is getting evicted one way or the other tomorrow!

Oh dear Bee best of luck tomorrow.. Oh it is just the best feeling in the world..

Ah jaysus it keeps going here, had the home nurse visit which was great but they rang and sad they would be here in an hour, I was like ahhh I need to dress... That went great mind the heal test is a real killer, send any dads out of the room haha as the scowl himself was given the nurse was very funny.. Ended up I still have high blood pressure so had to go back to the docs.. Another tablet to take.. Cant wait to finish with the tablets, I never take many and feel horrible using them while feeding..

I'm just over the experience in the hospital now, feel disappointed but having our little lady here given us so much love is magical...Had her first bath time tonight and we are just weak..

Yep the feeding would be maybe one formula feed plan. That's it.. The burse said her weight was grand so she is getting enough... Still waiting for the full milk to come in, day 7 tomorrow thinking ti should be here soon. And if not then sure tis onto the bottle....

My full milk came in 8 days after my first, so hopefully in the next day or so.Keep letting her feed away, it will help that but if you do need to supplement a bit, do.
    Suddenly you will have milk going everywhere and you won't know what to do with yourself!!!Mine came in the night I was readmitted to hospital after having a post partum haemorrage just over a week after the birth......I vividly remember waking up in a hospital bed drenched with milk and having nothing to change into because I had come in in a rush through A&E the night before!!!!
    It took 6/7 days after my second to come in and she had no formula in that time either.

Induced this morning and has a boy this afternoon! The induction happened super quick and was very intense so ended up with the epidural. I wouldn’t have been able to do it otherwise I think. Had about 1 hour of pushing but could only get so far as the baby was posterior so needed the vacuum and episiotomy for the final bit. He’s gorgeous though, so happy to have him here finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

Congrats bee delighted you finally have your little man. Enjoy every minute with him xx

Induced this morning and has a boy this afternoon! The induction happened super quick and was very intense so ended up with the epidural. I wouldn’t have been able to do it otherwise I think. Had about 1 hour of pushing but could only get so far as the baby was posterior so needed the vacuum and episiotomy for the final bit. He’s gorgeous though, so happy to have him here finally!

Congrats bee06, that was quick morning and done by afternoon! Huge relief to be done and finally have your little boy here! :)

In the December group how many are left to have their baby? I’m due in 2 days but nothing moving so it will be a January baby I’d say!!

• Advertisement

I think it’s only you pocos and justwhatithink left. Although justwhatithink was being induced so hopefully something has moved by now. The waiting is the worst you just reach a point where you want it over!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Congratulations bee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

Baby Boy arrived yesterday by section, 16days over. He was 9lb 12oz so maybe that's why he was slow to arrive, there was definitely no rush on him.

I was induced by Propess pessary on Wed which unfortunately, after 24 hours, hadn't taken any effect (to thin or move the cervix) so it remained unfavourable. The next attempt was the gel on Thursday. After a few hours it had made a little difference but not significant enough. The lack of progress combined with pure anxiety driven tension that had set in meant the Dr still couldn't break the waters. At that point I'd started to crack with being overdue and nothing working (naturally or through intervention), no sleep etc. We'd talked about a section before the gel, if the gel didn't work, so at this stage I asked for it to be booked in for yesterday rather than wait around any longer. The Dr said no problem but I don't feel like she meant it, I know it's not their preference to do sections but sometimes it's for the best and I feel it was the right call and at the right time rather than adding another day of no progress to the situation. I'm very glad I stood my ground and kept control (somewhat) of the situation myself, despite having some pain to now manage but we can get past that.

Have to say all the staff in Holles St have been exceptionally caring and empathetic and gave me loads of time to talk stuff through etc, when I needed it. It's a bit disjointed between the various clinics and services but when you're in the actual hospital they couldn't have been better. They go paperless soon so hopefully that'll improve communication between the services, semi-private clinic, pain clinics etc.

Congratulations Bee and justwhatithink.. So happy for ye, delighted yer babies are here..

Hope they give ye lots of lovely cuddles.. Haha I could cry now for ye laughing at the tears, I cried the day I was leaving the hospital as I was just so happy to be coming home, cried after the first shower at home as it was so nice to be back, cried at my brother and sister in laws help.. Little tears everywhere but good tears..

The healing process will start soon with the section, it isn't as bad as it seems just remember to take care, no heavy lifting and mind the stairs only go up and down when needed.. A week and a bit now since my own, the nurse told me to take the dressing off which I was a little scared to do, but tis off and looks fine.. Have a few little twinges but healing well me thinks...You can do it justwhatithink, after what you have done so far..

The breast feeding seems to be going well now, I think we are nearly settling into a routine.. There are so many do's and donts ye are all right just go with what works.. Currently I'm trying out the feed every 3 hours, be it a few mins she feeds for or 40mins.. Seems she feeds for long spells in the evening and short little spells during the day. Naps then between two and fours hours.. So not going to bad.. Thanks for the encouragement, it is really difficult when you hear people say well I wouldn't to this or that...

Congratulations justwhatithink you are absolutely right to take control. Your body and so many days over due. I’m not surprised you were frustrated.

I’m only 40 weeks tomorrow so I can’t complain but if I am still pregnant in 14 days I’ll def be uncomfortable and not happy.

Delighted it’s over for everyone and all healthy babies! So so lucky! Best of luck to everyone over the first few weeks.

wise words Pocos!! Your body your call don't let anyone take that away... Hopefully you will budge soon Pacos!! Wont be long now...

Milly did someone advise you to feed every 3 hours? Usually with breastfeeding it's done on demand whenever baby wants, definitely in the early weeks anyway. Breast milk is much easier to digest than formula so is digested quicker meaning babies need little amounts more often, formula is usually done in the 3-4 hour routine as it keeps baby full longer as it's a much larger volume given.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Congrats guys and good luck pocos!

Anyone else struggling with it all? Baby seems to have silent reflux and feeding has been torture last few days. Im exausted and hubby is working, gone 15-17 hours last few days as he got caught doing overtime. Hes gone to work again now and Im dreading the next feed. Feel really ****ty thinking that but cant help it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

lashes34 wrote: »
    Congrats guys and good luck pocos!

Anyone else struggling with it all? Baby seems to have silent reflux and feeding has been torture last few days. Im exausted and hubby is working, gone 15-17 hours last few days as he got caught doing overtime. Hes gone to work again now and Im dreading the next feed. Feel really ****ty thinking that but cant help it right now.

Not in this group but know you’re pain. There’s a fb Page great for help re reflux. Go back to GP & PHN until you’re happy that reflux is under control. Mine turn out to have cmpi, which fuel his reflux big time, he was different baby after this was diagnosis. Please ask for help, a crying baby is hard work, I struggled so much and only seen how much after he became settled. Stay strong you’re doing amazing job

• Advertisement

I’ve had some bad days lashes...to so overwhelming at times but the key isn’t to talk about it rather than let it get in on you. I know there is a local chiropractor here who seemingly can “cure” reflux in a baby, I know loads of people swear by him. I haven’t had to use him myself but he maintains sometimes babies can be misaligned when they are born. Might be worth looking into?

I can’t swear by it myself but I’ve heard good reports?!

Advertisement