Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Thanks girls, will go to GP Tuesday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

lashes34 wrote: »
    Congrats guys and good luck pocos!

Anyone else struggling with it all? Baby seems to have silent reflux and feeding has been torture last few days. Im exausted and hubby is working, gone 15-17 hours last few days as he got caught doing overtime. Hes gone to work again now and Im dreading the next feed. Feel really ****ty thinking that but cant help it right now.

Had it with my first. Out of interest - was it you whose baby was given antibiotics after the birth due to waters breaking and strep B? Similar situation here......

Keep going back to the GP. My first visit was 5 weeks. I know they probably thought I was crazy first time mother, but I didn't care. Three visits later, I basically impressed on my GP exactly how hard I was finding all the crying (she used to cry for hours every evening, exactly on schedule) and the fact that she was not sleeping during the day because she kept gulping herself awake every time I laid her flat. We eventually got a prescription for Zantac which helped - we did try Gaviscon etc too, just ended with Zantac working for us. They were reluctant to diagnose anything before 6 weeks, especially if he's feeding and putting on weight, and they are taking your word for it, although if it's bad enough, video it and take it along to show them.

Prop up the head of the crib/basket, don't lay him down/put him in a carseat after a feed for at least 20 mins and try to feed in small amounts with lots of winding. If you feel something isn't right, then you are probably right, but don't suffer in silence with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

Have you family who can help out lashes? It’s amazing what a few hours of sleep/me time can do.

I’ve had plenty of tears and needed to step out of the room. It can be so overwhelming sometimes.

Glad its not just me! Hubby working tonight and then off til Friday so Im going to go to my mams for those three days to get some help. Shes nearly 2hours away so wary of driving that far on my own but maybe hubby can drop us down on Thursday.

Thanks girls, ye've made me feel better. Just finishing a feed then we're both going to bed if I can settle her. Shes taking less bottle now so def need to go to the doctor with her Tuesday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Do and you aren't crazy.Your intuition is something you learn to trust with time, but if you feel something is off, then keep telling them that.
    Being left alone with a newborn for a working day is very, very hard no matter what so if you can get yourself out, it's great.I got myself a drive thru take away coffee in McDs when my first was about 5weeks old, felt like the biggest achievement ever.(we had a rough few first weeks)Baby steps.I read somewhere it takes about 12 weeks to make a mother and that's not wrong.It will come together eventually, but it takes time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

Looking forward to hearing Pocos news. My advice to anyone going well overdue is Try not to despair too much, I know it's hard but see it as quality time to spend with your other half etc before bubs comes along. What I wish I'd done as being overdue became more & more evident, was to push to get a good clear understanding of what the plan is if you have to be induced, if that fails etc and then stipulate my wishes so that you I felt more in control of the situation. I do respect the experts and the human body but it annoys me now that even one of the Drs in theatre said he was never going to come out vaginally. I feel that should be screened for as an outcome once you're overdue and a suitable plan A & B then put in place rather than a lets see what happens approach that the consultant and Drs bluff you with. Anyhow, I'm grateful he's big and strong at the end of it all.

I can't help regarding reflux only to say it does seem to be common and as a result lots of support out there. Saw two close babies with it and it's tough going Lashes, I hope you'll get some relief from the GP and help that's out there.

So is there anyone else who is NOT a breastfeeer that could recommend a bra to wear over the next couple of weeks while things dry up? I don't care if it's expensive given the short term wear, I just want to be comfortable while I recover from section, manage back pain etc. I'm quite swollen now already (day 3) and going to start using cool packs in the morning but think I need a better bra that will hold & support the boobs better, help with turning in the bed etc but will not hinder the drying up process...all recommendations appreciated!

Had a lovely little NYE celebration with the nurses on nights tonight. Gave them a bottle of non-alcohol fizz and box of chocs earlier. Then got up to do a feed and change at 12am up at the nursery/nurses station and we had hugs all around and watched the fireworks on the Quays out the window together. Was nice to mark the occasion with them when they are so helpful and kind.

I find M&S maternity bras to be best myself.I do use the for BF but they are all round more comfy than anything else I've tried, and I have used them during the transition to bottles too.They are a bit pricier but worth it to me.

shesty wrote: »
    I find M&S maternity bras to be best myself.I do use the for BF but they are all round more comfy than anything else I've tried, and I have used them during the transition to bottles too.They are a bit pricier but worth it to me.

Thanks Shesty, appreciate that. I won't get out of hospital till Wed I'd say and timing is unfortunate with NY day but I'll head for M&S on Wed hopefully ... or else I'll havta send the husband in with some dodgy measurements

They do have post surgery bras and the like but I am not sure who exactly that is aimed at, but maybe if you get in yourself you could ask them.Don't expect to be able to walk too far though, take it easy on yourself.

shesty wrote: »
    They do have post surgery bras and the like but I am not sure who exactly that is aimed at, but maybe if you get in yourself you could ask them.Don't expect to be able to walk too far though, take it easy on yourself.

You're completely right. I overdid it earlier by just washing my hair in the shower, raging with myself cause I was feeling great since yesterday evening, now I'm sore again. Not helping the 'engorged boobs mood' one bit! I'll only go bra hunting on Wed if I still need it and feel up to it, can make a quick stop at Liffey Valley M&S if I need to on way home.

• Advertisement

Yep, made that mistake about a fortnight after the birth of my second.It's a good three weeks after a natural birth before you feel you can walk much.I imagine a c section might be a wee bit longer.You have to force yourself to take it easy, it gets frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Lainey_b01

Pocos wrote: »
    In the December group how many are left to have their baby? I’m due in 2 days but nothing moving so it will be a January baby I’d say!!

Not on your own Pocos. I'm 12 day's over. Despite Bub's head being in right place for weeks there is still very little movement in the spontaneous birth direction! Walking/waddling 5km everyday and sitting on ball when not walking, and still nothing. Looking like induction later this week unless tomorrows full moon has an effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Oh Lainey 12 days over!! That’s mad! I can’t walk very far I get pelvis pain! So I’m just chilling and enjoying the quality time with other half before baby arrives! Been a lot of Christmas movies and couch relaxing the past week!

Just a waiting game at this point!

Sorry to hear ladies that some of ye are struggling! I’m assuming we will all struggle at different points but it’s goid to hear others do struggle too! It’s not all roses and easy! It’s the lack of sleep I’m dreading the most!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

So is there anyone else who is NOT a breastfeeer that could recommend a bra to wear over the next couple of weeks while things dry up? I don't care if it's expensive given the short term wear, I just want to be comfortable while I recover from section, manage back pain etc. I'm quite swollen now already (day 3) and going to start using cool packs in the morning but think I need a better bra that will hold & support the boobs better, help with turning in the bed etc but will not hinder the drying up process...all recommendations appreciated!

I breastfed for four days but due to a variety of reasons stopped then, and my milk had already come in.

I got a bra in heatons when I was pregnant called a support bra which has actually been great as it allows for a big cabbage leaf down each cup!

https://www.heatonsstores.com/cote-de-moi-seamless-bra-ld84-650080?colcode=65008003

I also have a nursing bra from M&S from when I planned on breastfeeding and it’s very comfortable but soaks the mostuire of the cabbage leaves easily

A couple of tips I was given was to avoid getting hot water on them in the shower and touch them as little as possible! Both of these will continue to encourage milk production

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I really feel for anyone overdue! It was the longest week of my life!

Home from hospital today. So happy be be home. Was in for 3 nights and it was torture. The hospital was roasting and I got no more than 3 hours sleep and not because of the baby. It’s pretty scary being home though! No safety net anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Lashes I think we might be in the same boat with the reflux, now in fairness she isn't being too bad but tis settling her... Just fed her there, and took the suggestion to feed her sitting in more of an upright position and then let her sit for 20mins... Seems to have worked there, she has gone down to sleep and not given out.. Tried the sugar water, and reg boiled water too and found that works too.. There are millions of yes and nos for this online but feck it I think it helps her so were going with it..

Your not alone getting overwhelmed it is all so new, just do whatever works for you lashes, shame your hubby being away but you can do it.. Are you keeping track of feeding times and all that goes.. Did the nurse visit yet, she called to us last week thought she was lovely..

Yes spotty, I heard it all in the hospital so I did. From feed every 2 to 2.5 hours, then feed every 3 then 3 - 4.. One nurse who was lovely now but when I said top up she thought I meant top up with a bottle and kept asking me how much I gave her, I was like mmm I don't have mls on me boobs and I have told you three times already I am breastfeeding..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I wish they'd get their info right, some of them giving such outdated information!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

What kind of blankets are ye keeping your baby in at night time?

Our room at home is set to stay between 18-20 degrees and i know I heard two cellular blankets mentioned somewhere before, but it just doesn’t seem very warm as the cellular blankets are very light

Also what clothing do you have them in? A long or short sleeve vest with a sleep suit?

And do you swaddle them or keep them lose enough?

Sorry for all the questions, it’s such a mindfield!

We dress her in a vest and babygrow with a swaddle and 1 cellular blanket. Our room is roughly 20-22°. She seems warm enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I said it to the nurse that it was very annoying and she just made excuses. We are using two blankets breathable ones at night one to swaddle and one then kinda tucked around her. Clothes then is short sleeve grow and long sleep suit. Mind I hav her here now just in her grow as the room is so warm.. The geo egg I think says ideal temp is around 17

• Advertisement

Suffered bad today with the boobs, even with the drugs the hospital has me on. Gonna do the cabbages tomorrow. Husband got ice packs (reusable & instant) in Boots which was some help but been in the hospital is not helping with no access to a freezer, the instants don't last long. I'll look into those bras you've all recommended, thanks a mill. Once I get out of the hospital hopefully I'll be up to popping into the shop quickly on way home. If anyone else is planning on NOT breast feeding be better prepared than me for the heavy, hot sore boobs!!!

The day 3 weeps arrived with a bang and I cried all day about everything - every time the caterers stuck their heads in with a meal I was bawling. Anyhow I got it outa my system so I've survived another side effect but it is hard.

Baby had been doing brilliant the past 2 days with nappy, eat & sleep routine, he was a model baby! Then today he turned into food monster, I couldn't understand how he could still be pursuing and smacking his lips after taking a full bottle. I was told numerous different volumes to give him and was afraid he'd be sick if he had too much. But in the end he's clearly having a growth spurt and as a big baby (9.12) needs more just now so they all said inbthe end let him have it if hel take it. It's was the right call as he's much more settled tonight since he got bigger feeds where the volume is lead by his demand. Just means a more careful eye for the winding with the bigger feed. We're using an app called Baby Tracker on which you can create a group log in, that way both you and partner can log the feeds & nappies during your own turn and see what the other has done without having to communicate while both in an awaken state ... ha ha.

In the hospital he's sleeping in vest, baby gro and hospitals blanket. He kicks the blanket off himself some of the time. As long as his chest feels warm I'm happy enough. At home I've a thermometer in the room and will use that along with the 'layers guide' that came with the grobag I bought http://gro.co.uk/product/grobag-baby-sleep-bag/
    But I'll still monitor the warmth of his chest and if he's kicking off the blanket (cellular) etc. If he doesn't feel warm enough I'll add a cardi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Justwhatithink don't be afraid to swaddle him up so he can't kick off blankets. Its a comfort for them as they can startle themselves when they kick out like that.

I was not prepared for the boobs at all but will be this time. It'll be easier when you get home amd you can go round the house stinking of sweaty cabbage leaves! The best relief i used to get was lying chest down on the granite island. It was heavenly!!!

heldel00 wrote: »
    The best relief i used to get was lying chest down on the granite island. It was heavenly!!!

That is hilarious :D. I said to my husband earlier I'm like a bad Dolly Parton lookalike going round the hospital here with the enormous boobs + the cool packs in the bra :p

I'll try the swaddling again, he doesn't seem to like being restricted though, does a lot of Saturday Night Fever moves in his sleep!

Lainey_b01 wrote: »
    Not on your own Pocos. I'm 12 day's over. Despite Bub's head being in right place for weeks there is still very little movement in the spontaneous birth direction! Walking/waddling 5km everyday and sitting on ball when not walking, and still nothing. Looking like induction later this week unless tomorrows full moon has an effect!

Best of luck girls. It is tough but yer on the home stretch and will get there. I was constantly looking out for signs, examining everything and manufacturing it into reality but left disappointment the nothing actually happened and the reason for this I now know is because nothing was actually happening. I drove myself mad doing it, but it's hard not to anticipate and analyse.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Lainey_b01

Best of luck girls. It is tough but yer on the home stretch and will get there. I was constantly looking out for signs, examining everything and manufacturing it into reality but left disappointment the nothing actually happened and the reason for this I now know is because nothing was actually happening. I drove myself mad doing it, but it's hard not to anticipate and analyse.

The constant questions about any news doesn't help either with the waiting game! Reading back on your earlier post justwhatithink and seems we both have similar situation pre birth re high cervix & attending Holles Street. Sweep not possible at last two visits most recent being 41+3. Hoping the walking bouncing since has dragged it down. Ur post on ur induction experience gave myself and hubby a good insight of what may be ahead of us and some fruit for thought on what we want if it's looking to be not effective.

The constant questions about any news doesn't help either with the waiting game! Reading back on your earlier post justwhatithink and seems we both have similar situation pre birth re high cervix & attending Holles Street. Sweep not possible at last two visits most recent being 41+3. Hoping the walking bouncing since has dragged it down. Ur post on ur induction experience gave myself and hubby a good insight of what may be ahead of us and some fruit for thought on what we want if it's looking to be not effective.

The questions are ridiculous ... do they think it’s possible that someone would have the baby and forget to tell them like! I was induced as well so everyone knew when I’d be in labour and I warned them that it could take a while so not to expect any news til the evening or next morning and my sister still text my husband in the afternoon asking if there was news yet!

Good luck with the final bit. You’re nearly there now and it’ll all be worth it in the end. That’s what I kept reminding myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Hi justwhatithink don't know how true it is but on old wives tale is that if you take a spoon of Epsom salts in water for a few days it will help dry up your milk.
    I was desperate on both mine as boobs were very swollen and painful and my mum got me Epsom salts (tastes rotten). I don't know if it helped or if I just dried up naturally at the same time but I was willing to try anything at that stage.
    Just a word of warning, if anyone is breastfeeding do not take Epsom salts as its not advised to do so.

Feel free to PM me if you've any questions. No hospital will want an 'elective section' and that's probably right. As far as I gathered the Dr on duty + consultant on duty have to sign off on going down section route if it comes to it. But I would be asking the questions re induction i.e. What methods (will depend how favourable you are when you check in), how many attempts (think it's min. 3), how long they will give each attempt to work and at what point it becomes a reality that a section is required.

I'm sure you'll be fine, the induction works a treat for loads of women with high cervix, overdues etc...believe me, I saw plenty of them come & go while I hung out waiting for mine to work and heard a lot of their stories :-0. And they have more back up plans if Plan A doesn't work before they'll let it go to section. The one thing I don't know how they can tell accurately is your babies size - I was told from scan 8lb3oz on the Sat and he was born 9lb12oz on the Friday...I think looking back now knowing his size I definitely was right in pushing them to get the section lined up rather than more failed induction attempts but I had no way of knowing his size at the time...it was my gut and knowledge of friends experience that made me think it was the right thing to do.

Again, I'll say the staff were all excellent, one or two with attitudes but just let them know you're no push over (via hubby if needs be) and they soon change their tune. And the food is actually pretty ok once you get past the catering staff trying to deafen you with their bashing of plates & cups etc :-0

Ya mine were all the same too, wondering if there was any news despite I having said it'd be at least 48 hours. My husband got onto them on the quiet and out a stop to it. They were just very excited I know but it does get old quick, especially when you prob not comfortable explaining the ins & outs of the process to the likes of your brothers so they understand better.

Thanks CoffeyT, I'll add the Epsom salts to the list of things to try if ifs not drying up at speed. They've improved a bit since yesterday with the ice packs on them and keeping them uncovered from nightie and bed clothes.

• Advertisement

Ya mine were all the same too, wondering if there was any news despite I having said it'd be at least 48 hours. My husband got onto them on the quiet and out a stop to it. They were just very excited I know but it does get old quick, especially when you prob not comfortable explaining the ins & outs of the process to the likes of your brothers so they understand better.

Ha, I know, my poor youngest brother has heard all sorts of stuff now I’m sure he did not want to know because my sister wanted to hear everything in detail and I was too tired to tell her to cop on! Not to mention my boobs seem to be out every time they visited!

Advertisement