Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Lainey_b01

Feel free to PM me if you've any questions. No hospital will want an 'elective section' and that's probably right. As far as I gathered the Dr on duty + consultant on duty have to sign off on going down section route if it comes to it. But I would be asking the questions re induction i.e. What methods (will depend how favourable you are when you check in), how many attempts (think it's min. 3), how long they will give each attempt to work and at what point it becomes a reality that a section is required.

I'm sure you'll be fine, the induction works a treat for loads of women with high cervix, overdues etc...believe me, I saw plenty of them come & go while I hung out waiting for mine to work and heard a lot of their stories :-0. And they have more back up plans if Plan A doesn't work before they'll let it go to section. The one thing I don't know how they can tell accurately is your babies size - I was told from scan 8lb3oz on the Sat and he was born 9lb12oz on the Friday...I think looking back now knowing his size I definitely was right in pushing them to get the section lined up rather than more failed induction attempts but I had no way of knowing his size at the time...it was my gut and knowledge of friends experience that made me think it was the right thing to do.

Again, I'll say the staff were all excellent, one or two with attitudes but just let them know you're no push over (via hubby if needs be) and they soon change their tune. And the food is actually pretty ok once you get past the catering staff trying to deafen you with their bashing of plates & cups etc :-0

Thanks for the insight, good to have these things in mind beforehand. Just looking into bishops score so think that my first question once they check me and use that measurement to see how it's all progressing. Scans can be a bad indicator of size, that why der reluctant in telling you size. History of big babies on both our sides (most recent being 10lb & 11 6 both at 41weeks) so we been asking all the way! Told at week 40 that estimate was 8lbs so sure we closer to 10lbs at this point. Haven't got answer out of them since week 40 re size! I'm sure I'll be on ere moaning over next few days, if it's ok only a moan about cups and cutlery I'll be elated! I'll forgive some degree of staff attitude issues as I'd imagine working within HSE is not a bed of roses!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

Lainey_b01 wrote: »
    Thanks for the insight, good to have these things in mind beforehand. Just looking into bishops score so think that my first question once they check me and use that measurement to see how it's all progressing. Scans can be a bad indicator of size, that why der reluctant in telling you size. History of big babies on both our sides (most recent being 10lb & 11 6 both at 41weeks) so we been asking all the way! Told at week 40 that estimate was 8lbs so sure we closer to 10lbs at this point. Haven't got answer out of them since week 40 re size! I'm sure I'll be on ere moaning over next few days, if it's ok only a moan about cups and cutlery I'll be elated! I'll forgive some degree of staff attitude issues as I'd imagine working within HSE is not a bed of roses!

Moan away, i think it's been great having the thread here as a support and resource even if it was just to read some days. And ya you're right, working within HSE I'm sure is difficult, the staff are angels in here especially given the level of hormones they're dealing with too!

Coincidentally my surgeon just came in to see me, and it's the last time ill say it, cause I don't want to come across as an elective section propagandaist, but she said no way was baby coming out vaginally and it was the right call to section - I just feel so good about it now and it was a positive experience, I remember the birth and we have photos of all three of us meeting for the first time when he was handed over, it's a really good ending to the story for me.

Have had to turn the privacy settings on whats app it got so bad! Messages going around family saying we not being online for 4hours so must be in Holles Street! We wish! Yes der excited....but some people just don't understand no news means no news! If only der was some correlation between the volume of questions and natural induction.... I'd have popped well before Christmas in that case!

For this reason we not told anyone that our induction has been scheduled. Just told them we going in for normal appointment this week to hopefully give us a days grace of peace!

Ah justwhatithink that great to get that feedback from the surgeon. Just goes to show ur gut was right and even if you guys had held out you would have ended up with emergency C in the end, much more traumatic than elective I'd imagine. Will definitely keep it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Best of luck Lainey, and don't be too scared about the size of the baby.. Don't let this worry you...Just think about having them with you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

So went to the doc today, she recommended gaviscon three times a day. Hoping it'll help matters as its so difficult. Ya Milly PHN was out 3 times I think, she had to re-do the heel test unfortunately. Shes lovely and doesnt need to see us agaun til 3 months as baby is back up over her birth weight.

Whoever asked about baby being on antibiotics, no she wasnt but I was during labour as I got a fever just as I was 9cms so it all got hairy at that point. Turned out to be Group Strep B and I was on antibiotics for a week but baby wasnt.

I didnt realise I needed to apply for a GP cars for the baby, thought she was just covered as she was under 6. Do it on the HSE website if ye havent already!

God stuff lashes, the heel test is so hard bless having to do it twice, she is calling to us again tomorrow fingers crossed all is going well. The wet nappies has been worrying me as she is behind in them the last few days but tonight she seems to be just well letting go the amount of poop out of her.. Me thinks it is the milk change..

Can I ask where the registry office is in town Galway that is, looking online and of course the site is ****e so tis hard to find..

Its in Newcastle, not far from the hospital. I'll see if I can link it on google maps for you. I'll be back!

oh wait sorry found it there the reg office that is

• Advertisement

thanks lashes I just found it online there..

https://goo.gl/maps/jtntFMtyr7F2

Try that.

Edit: see you got sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Baby girl born yesterday at 18.57 weighing 8 pounds and 6 oz.

Was induced in the morning at 8.30 as I have gestational diabetes.

Exhausted but thrilled. Will post induction story over next few days

Pocos wrote: »
    Baby girl born yesterday at 18.57 weighing 8 pounds and 6 oz.

Was induced in the morning at 8.30 as I have gestational diabetes.

Exhausted but thrilled. Will post induction story over next few days

Congrats Pocos, great news, glad to hear all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Congrats Pocos!

Congrats Pocos! Who is left to go?

Delighted for you Pacos, congratulations...Hope you are doing great...

Got a slight scare today with the nurses visit, little mis was down weight so she said to go to GP asap, and that they might even send us to AnE... Was scary when she first said it, but gut feeling was that she was ok really... So in the end GP just said yep twas due to the breast feeding and completely normal. So must just go back Friday and hopefully she will be better.. Going on a mix of bottle and breast from now on...Also this bottom dimple, she seems to have this little dimple on her bottom, nurse spotted it (again nothing mentioned in the hospital about this) but supposably it can be a sign of SF, they are saying it looks ok but they want to keep an eye on it..

All these things, tis hard not to worry but I know she is ok

What's SF Milly?

I'm going to have to google the spelling yep and I cant spell haha. Should have been CF Cystic Fibrosis, it is called a sacral dimple.. I didn't even spot it, it was himself and then the Health nurse when she checked on her.. They say it all looks good and healed over, but still worrying

It’s so hard not to worry alright. My mother in law was only saying today that you know your baby best so trust your instinct but it’s hard.

We had a bit of a scare today as well. Our little fella has jaundice and while at the breastfeeding clinic the lactation consultant offered to check his levels. The machine result was high so the doctor had to do a blood test. It all came back fine but there was talk of admitting him to the neonatal unit. He also hadn’t pooed in over 2 days and I’m sure you’ve all experienced the obsession PHN and midwives have with poo! Thankfully we had a poonami about 30 mins ago. Never so happy to see a dirty nappy.

• Advertisement

The happiness for dirty nappies is very funny alright...

We were the same bee06 she had not really pooed or wet as many nappies as she should have. The breastfeeding is so hard t judge, after doing a mix of the two bottle and breast for the last two days it has made a huge difference with the nappies, although I think it has turned her into a monster... Feed her on the boob and she wanted more, so gave her two onces which she had gone in two secs.. She is like Seymour... Feed Me!!

I hope the jaundice clears up, they can scare you alright with that, I think they just kinda tell you the worst results first to maybe get you thinking this is serious. Mind tis all quite scary when tis your baby....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

Pretty sure our little guy has reflux. He is so unsettled the past few nights. Won’t settle unless he’s absolutely upright and even then if he moves an inch he’s back to crying and squirming. It’s been a rough few nights due to the lack of sleep. He won’t settle at all in the Moses basket, I even tried putting a towel underneath the top of the mattress so he is at a slight incline but it had no effect. He’s spitting up a good bit too.

Started on infacol today because he seemed to have trouble getting wind up but I’m not convinced it’s that now. It’s so hard not to get frustrated due to the lack of sleep but I know it’s obviously not his fault. Going to try and get an appointment with the chiropractor to see if he can help. Someone else mentioned Gaviscon?!

The public health nurse called yesterday and said baby shouldn't be taking huge feeds cause the big ones will stretch his stomach and might cause him discomfort e.g. 110-130ml followed by smaller ones 60-80ml depending on the time of day - each day was averaging out the same 520ml and he's 9lb12oz odd baby, 1 week old). He started looking for big feeds half way through our hospital stay, the staff there said if hel take it give it to him. Then We cut feeds back to 100ml each yesterday following what the PHN said but now he's not sleeping as well or soundly, is constantly moving and wriggling and making noise (not crying) - nappies are fine but he seems to be making effort to pass wind a good bit. We also switched to DIY formula yesterday (had been on ready mades for first night after getting home) - we got the exact same as the ready made just the DIY version.

Anyone got thoughts on this? I'm concerned he's been left hungry and also that he's now not getting enough or quality sleep. Finding it so frustrating after having a good routine and happy sleeping baby in a noisy bright hospital..!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The thing is justwhatithink, babies start to wake up after about the first ten days!!!All going well they tend to be in a bit of a newborn coma the first week or so, then their digestive system comes to life and the trouble starts ;-) Thinking of my pair, I would honestly go with the hospital-if he will take the feeds, you can give them to him.
    you could wind him every 2 ounces or so to try to reduce the discomfort, some babies gulp away through a bottle and cause themselves trouble! i do know where the nurse is coming from, but equally, he will move up through the amounts quite quickly in the first few weeks, so it is to be expected he will want more.Wind discomfort is simply a feature of newborns.To help it, try to make sure you wind him after each bottle (and yes I jnow exaclty how painful that process is!!), bicycle his legs gently, or bend them gently up against his stomach, then straighten them out two or three times.You can also try lying him on his side, alternating left to right sides, as this can help too.Their bowel muscles are simply not strong enough to pass the wind and these motions help move it down and out......eventually. :-)

His sleep is going to be all.pver the place for the next few weeks, so you kind of have to just run with it.

Thanks Shesty, I really appreciate the detailed response and replying so quickly. My gut tells me the same, if he'll take it give it to him. And when I read the HSE website it says pretty much the same thing. He's a good burper to be fair to him and we wind regularly during the bottle, just seems there's a bit more in there now since we changed things yesterday to the DIY formula and bottle. I can accept the poor sleep as long as I know it's not harming him, myself & himself will survive the sleep deprivation..! It's just that bit harder now we're home and don't have a midwife/nurse beside us to show what's happening and get advice.

Is anyone else having issues with nappies? We have 2 or 3 nappies leak a day. We’re going to run out of clothes at this rate!

Leaking nappies so far not, what brand are you using bee06.. We had a mix of the pampers and the aldi ones and they seem great...

Littlebo, herself was the same a few days ago, and at the time it was like worst case scenario it was reflux or colic.. After seeing my own nephew with colic I kinda knew it wasn't that but still tis trying.. I found sitting her up for her feeds either boob or bottle and then letting her sit upright for around 20mins after, does the trick.. We folded up some of the breathable pillows also (kinda like a wedge shape) and have her head resting on that, seems to work. I never thought of putting it under the mattress which is a very good idea also.. I have come across webs also for sleeping someplace if you thought that would work..

I must say this Contented Baby book if anyone is looking to get some good no bias information, and also feeding plans we have found great..It goes through breast feeding and bottle feeding...Kinda in the middle now trying to decide whether to stick on the breast and formula or just formula. She has thrived the last few days on a mix but, it has been more formula just due to not being ready to head out and that.. But quite like the breast feeding, I just don't seem to have that much milk... Whats the DOY formula Justwhatithink?

Had out 2 week appointment today and all is great so happy, felt like we should throw a party... Went to register her then and it was lovely the lady in the office was so nice, really made our day... Followed by a little maternity bra shopping, if anyone is looking now, they aren't very supportive but Debanams in the sale have a 2 pack for 12.60 (of course the sales lady showed me the pricer ones first) but they are very cozy I must say...

Using Pampers at the moment but have some Aldi ones as well. Maybe it’s a boy thing! He’s already caught us a few times by peeing during nappy changes!

Breastmilk supply is driven by supply and demand ... the more you feed the more milk you produce. Oats are supposed to be really good for increasing supply as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

Milly33 wrote: »
    Leaking nappies so far not, what brand are you using bee06.. We had a mix of the pampers and the aldi ones and they seem great...

Littlebo, herself was the same a few days ago, and at the time it was like worst case scenario it was reflux or colic.. After seeing my own nephew with colic I kinda knew it wasn't that but still tis trying.. I found sitting her up for her feeds either boob or bottle and then letting her sit upright for around 20mins after, does the trick.. We folded up some of the breathable pillows also (kinda like a wedge shape) and have her head resting on that, seems to work. I never thought of putting it under the mattress which is a very good idea also.. I have come across webs also for sleeping someplace if you thought that would work..

I must say this Contented Baby book if anyone is looking to get some good no bias information, and also feeding plans we have found great..It goes through breast feeding and bottle feeding...Kinda in the middle now trying to decide whether to stick on the breast and formula or just formula. She has thrived the last few days on a mix but, it has been more formula just due to not being ready to head out and that.. But quite like the breast feeding, I just don't seem to have that much milk... Whats the DOY formula Justwhatithink?

Had out 2 week appointment today and all is great so happy, felt like we should throw a party... Went to register her then and it was lovely the lady in the office was so nice, really made our day... Followed by a little maternity bra shopping, if anyone is looking now, they aren't very supportive but Debanams in the sale have a 2 pack for 12.60 (of course the sales lady showed me the pricer ones first) but they are very cozy I must say...

Hi Milly,
    Poping in from 2016 thread. I have a 6 month old and I am combi feeding her. I was more so doing it at the beginning up until week 7 , I gave her a lot of formula due to jaundice , extremely cracked nipples etc but after week 7 It became way easier. Supply was fully established and no pain and now I am feeding her on demand and she gets one bottle of formula at night time.

If you really feel strongly about BF don't give up! You can do it. Your supply hasn't been established yet so your milk is all over the place . Have you been to any of the Ciudu meetings or Le Leche League ?

• Advertisement

Hi Blndbby, thank you so much.. Really, god people tell me the milk should be in by now and others say it shouldn't... I feel myself that it hasn't been fully established yet as my boobs don't feel like they ever got engorged or anything... I can see lets say the milk at the top of the nipple but I don't seem to be producing a massive amount.. Its isn't really that I feel really strongly with the breastfeeding just as such I would like too, and actually enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would have... Good to know that it could take a lot longer for things to get fully going, she is only two weeks old today...

I think I shall sit down tonight and come up with a plan and then after than I just have to get myself organised.. I was thinking of doing the bottle feed at night also, the dream feed I have heard it called and then lets say if we go out have a formula feed for that...I haven't gone to any of the groups, had a section so cant drive yet, which I was only thinking about last night, I was only thinking that last night in regards to going to any classes or anything sure ill have to wait a bit..

Advertisement