Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hi Blndbby, thank you so much.. Really, god people tell me the milk should be in by now and others say it shouldn't... I feel myself that it hasn't been fully established yet as my boobs don't feel like they ever got engorged or anything... I can see lets say the milk at the top of the nipple but I don't seem to be producing a massive amount.. Its isn't really that I feel really strongly with the breastfeeding just as such I would like too, and actually enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would have... Good to know that it could take a lot longer for things to get fully going, she is only two weeks old today...

I think I shall sit down tonight and come up with a plan and then after than I just have to get myself organised.. I was thinking of doing the bottle feed at night also, the dream feed I have heard it called and then lets say if we go out have a formula feed for that...I haven't gone to any of the groups, had a section so cant drive yet, which I was only thinking about last night, I was only thinking that last night in regards to going to any classes or anything sure ill have to wait a bit..

You know your body best. It can be really difficult to know how much milk they are getting but they can let you know if they aren't getting enough. Cluster feeding at the beginning is really common too .
    When you are feeding now do you feel a 'let down' sensation happen? Sort of a pins and needles feeling ? It will be your milk coming in after the formilk.
    I can recommend a good lactation consultant depending on where you Are she calls to houses I think.. PM me if you'd like x

Edit to say I'm from 2017 thread not 2016!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Milly the formula feeds will be stopping your body from producing enough for baby as your body doesn't know she's feeding as often as she is. As mentioned breastmilk works on supply and demand, your baby isn't demanding it for every feed so your body isn't supplying it. Combi feeding is totally fine if that's what you want to do but it will halt your milk production, just to be aware of that so you have all the info before you decide.

If you want to give your supply a chance to get fully established before you decide one way or another take a day or two in bed with baby, strip baby and take your own top off (or put baby in your top, it is winter after all!) and just feed feed feed, drink plenty of water and eat lots, oats are good as mentioned. It takes 6 weeks for supply to establish properly so it's still very early days. And definitely get to a real life support group when you can.

Not to sound mental/stalkery but I don't live far from your town and am breastfeeding my second after feeding my first for 2 years, if you ever wanted to meet for a coffee or want info on local support just pm me. Seeing others feed in public is the best way to get used to the idea yourself! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

bee06 wrote: »
    Using Pampers at the moment but have some Aldi ones as well. Maybe it’s a boy thing! He’s already caught us a few times by peeing during nappy changes!

Breastmilk supply is driven by supply and demand ... the more you feed the more milk you produce. Oats are supposed to be really good for increasing supply as well.

We're using pampers too and only had a couple of leaks so far but I think it was just that it was a really big wee he had and maybe we hadn't fitted the nappy onto him properly in the first place. If we open the nappy and he hasn't pee'd we give his bum a bit of air for a few seconds then cover him back up for a minute or two and the air usually makes him pee if he's ready for one but it just hasn't happened yet...that way we don't get caught with him peeing up on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Make sure his little willy is pointing downwards too. Our fella was nearly two weeks old before we learned that trick!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Using Pampers at the moment but have some Aldi ones as well. Maybe it’s a boy thing! He’s already caught us a few times by peeing during nappy changes!

Breastmilk supply is driven by supply and demand ... the more you feed the more milk you produce. Oats are supposed to be really good for increasing supply as well.

Has the umbilical cord fallen off yet? I had leaks with a load of nappies the first week or so until the cord fell off, because we were having to turn the nappies down a bit so they didn't catch on it. Also make sure his penis is pointing down when the nappy goes on, this helps prevent leaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Yeah, it fell off last night and today was the worst yet! Must pay more attention to penis position!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I thought the ladies would be better than the boys with not peeing, but twice now herself has caught me out haha thank god tis only a small bit..

Oh yes Spotty I know regarding the milk supply, but also that there can be a nice balance made between the two.. I have been expressing also, so trying to keep the supply going for every feed as such she has on the bottle I am trying to express or well follow a plan to keep the supply up... Going to sit down now and get a plan worked out at the weekend and come up with a schedule for feeding..thanks for all the tips

Blndbby thank you, yes I have that feeling alright kinda only noticed it more this week.. So that is as such when you boob is filling back up again is it.. That's one of the things I found hard, I know by squeezing your nipple you can see the milk but how much is there is the question and then when she wasn't gaining the weight.. She had a few of the cluster feeds I noticed the middle of the night feed, which was trying at the time but thankfully with the bottle feed the last one at night it has stopped this.. More handy for us to get more sleep so I will run with it.. I might be back to you about the consultant thank you, ill see now after the weekend how the plan works out and we shall take it from there.. One day at a time

Whats the DOY formula Justwhatithink

Oh I just mean regular formula you make up yourself as opposed to the ready made stuff you can get and the hospital gave us to use.

In terms of how much milk is there, it's like a river more than a lake. It's not a finite amount pooled inside them that can be 100% emptied , it's continously being made and flowing gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

Is anyone else having issues with nappies? We have 2 or 3 nappies leak a day. We’re going to run out of clothes at this rate!

We had the same bee with our little man. Personally I find the Tesco own brand nappies heavier than pampers so we are using them. We moved up to the level 2
    Nappies and have had no accidents since. The level 1’s fitted him perfectly but it was going all up his back.

• Advertisement

We had the same bee with our little man. Personally I find the Tesco own brand nappies heavier than pampers so we are using them. We moved up to the level 2
    Nappies and have had no accidents since. The level 1’s fitted him perfectly but it was going all up his back.

We have the bigger size Aldi ones so might try those so today. Thanks!

Whats the DOY formula Justwhatithink

Oh I just mean regular formula you make up yourself as opposed to the ready made stuff you can get and the hospital gave us to use.

Ah I was wondering!! I see I see, yeah we have been using the SMA one for filler in feeds. Love making up the bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

How's everyone doing? After a few bad days and nights, last night was easier and I managed to get about 5 hours over the night which is a massive improvement on 2 the previous night! Never thought Id be so pleased to get 5 hrs of broken sleep!

It will pass as everyone keeps telling me 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi ladies. Haven't posted really since I had my baby girl. I only have my phone to post from so I put off posting lol.
    All going well but she's not sleeping much through the night. Maybe 2 hours at a time if we are lucky ha.
    I'm still expressing but giving formula at night. We have switched to the hungry baby formula last night just to see would that help and it seemed to make a little difference. She went for 3 hours after the first feed then 2 hours and 2 then 3. Suppose it might take a couple of nights to get a routine going.
    Just not sure if I'm doing it right or should be doing something different for her bed time routine.
    She's very good and not unsettled or crying etc. Just wakes a good bit during the night.
    She was 4 weeks yesterday already.
    Starting baby massage in maynooth on the 17th so I'm looking forward to that.
    Have been out and about a little bit but not too much. Just afraid with all these doses going around that she might pick up something.
    Getting out for little walks locally as I have 4 dogs so they need walking too so I take turns and bring one with the buggy and do a lap then swap over lol.
    Hope every one doing ok :-)

Andrea waking frequently is completely normal, their tummies are tiny so they need frequent smaller feeds. Waking every few hours at night also protects them against overly deep prolonged sleep which is a SIDS risk. But yeah, at 4 weeks that's totally fine, you're not doing anything wrong at all!

You also don't need to stress about routine at such an early stage, I don't think we had any routine with my first until he was 5+ months, no real bedtime routine until he was about 8 months I'd say, not that it mattered because he woke every 1-2 hours until he was 18+ months no matter what! He's a rare one, most kids aren't that cruel and sleep a few hours longer when they get a bit older :D My current newbie is 7 weeks old and has shocked me by sleeping 4-5 hour stretches most nights since day 3, I think it's a combination of just a different (less intense!) baby and that we cosleep since day 1 which I didn't start with my first until he was 4 months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

What spotty said!
    Andrea I wouldn't expect a stretch of maybe 4-5 hours at night til roughly six weeks.Not if you are bf either, that probably won't hapoen.
    And as for a night's sleep 8/9 hours or so....unlikely until at least 12/13 week, and I wouldn't push it. They need frequent feeds. Wouldn't expect a repeatable day or night routine til at least 12 weeks either.They settle quite a bit at 3 months, you just have to wait it out.:D

Also when people refer to sleeping through the night, a 5-6 hour stretch is considered sleeping through, not the 12ish hours some would have you think. My eldest is 3 in April, he still woke every 2-3 hours until very recently, now some nights he will sleep 4-5 hours straight in a total of 12 hours sleep.

I’ve been very lucky that my little fella is sleeping from 10/11pm to 7/8am. I have to wake him every few hours to feed rather than him waking me. I fully expect that when he recovers fully from the jaundice that he’ll change but it’s good at the moment because between my low iron levels (after a post partum haemorrhage) I’m exhausted just from that. I can’t even walk to the bathroom without being completely wreaked.

Our lady has got a few sniffles and a little cough, so cute and not so cute.. Hopefully twill clear in the next few days, but like you andreac don't want to go out much with this cold weather.. Wanted to go visiting today but thought the better of it.. Have her wrapped up in cozy clothes and the fire on instead...

4 dogs fair play to you for getting them all walked..... Felt bad for the cat and dog here, just one of each..Me thinks we have come to terms with the baby (the furry animals that is,) but it has been hard on them getting pushed back to second on the list.. And despite everyones twopence about the cat, he has not attached or even gone to sleep near herself. He has no more interest in her....

How is everyone who had sections doing are ye all healing nicely?... Doing quite well, hate sneezing though as the right side is still a little tender and when I sneeze it still twinges...Weird I am not to squimsy but nearly passed out in the shower taking the steri strips off.. They were fine to take off it was just the thought of it me thinks and maybe a bit of going back to the section memories, glad to have them off in the end, felt like getting rid of the last bandage..

Was so happy today with pumping too, all these you should do this and that with the breast feeding is mad.. I took a night off last night well after six, and himself done the formula feeds last night. This morning I was worried about the milk not really being there, and not a bother. Express nearly an oz from one breast and had plenty to feed her... And not I don't think I have a major supply of milk, I am not even leaking or anything..So was all happy

Glad to hear you are getting some sleep lashes must feel like heaven...Think happy thoughts she will sleep more for ye!! Sounds normal, have been doing a formula feed of 3oz at 12 and herself sleeps until around 4 or 5, then a breast feed and she is up either for 8 or 10..I thought that much sleep was great.. Good note for the planning of feeds was that it took around 3 hrs for the breastmilk to be digested and then 3 1/2 - 4 for the formula to be digested.

How is everyone who had sections doing

I'm not really sure how I'm doing. I feel like I've gone backwards a bit in that I'm more tender and stiffer since I got home. I'm doing less, in the hospital I had no choice but to be up feeding & changing etc but at home I'm under recouperation orders from the husband. I'm a bit disappointed over a week later that the wound feels as sore as it does. I'm taking my meds and there's no sign of any infection etc. Public Health Nurse checked it on Thursday and said it looked perfect. It just still feels very tight or something (just on one side, the side the surgeon was standing supposedly). Im trying to move around more, but carefully, but a wrong turn and it can be very sore. I guess I'll give it a few more days and if I'm not happy I'll put a call into the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I’ve been very lucky that my little fella is sleeping from 10/11pm to 7/8am. I have to wake him every few hours to feed rather than him waking me. I fully expect that when he recovers fully from the jaundice that he’ll change but it’s good at the moment because between my low iron levels (after a post partum haemorrhage) I’m exhausted just from that. I can’t even walk to the bathroom without being completely wreaked.

Very hard bee, I had one about a week after my first.Very tough and makes having a newborn twice as tough.Take it easy on yourself.
    Lile I said before, my first trip out by myself was around 5 weeks to get a drive thru McDonald's takeaway coffee and it felt like a huge achievement.It"s rough but you will feel better in time.

shesty wrote: »
    Very hard bee, I had one about a week after my first.Very tough and makes having a newborn twice as tough.Take it easy on yourself.
    Lile I said before, my first trip out by myself was around 5 weeks to get a drive thru McDonald's takeaway coffee and it felt like a huge achievement.It"s rough but you will feel better in time.

Thanks Shesty, I do feel a bit stronger every day so that’s keeping me going. I’m so lucky that my husband is home with his 2 weeks paternity leave as well. I’d be lost without him. All I seem to do is breastfeed, sleep and eat whatever high iron, high fibre meal he brings me! I even wake him up for the night feeds so he can put the baby back in the crib for me because I can’t get out of the bed while holding the baby because of my episiotomy stitches.

Thanks ladies. I'd be happy with even 3 hours of unbroken sleep ha ha. Wouldn't expect much more at this stage.
    Just wondering with the naps during the day would you put them up to bed where it's really quiet like night time or let them nap down stairs where you are and tv on etc? We have a Moses basket down stairs as well as the bedroom and I usually leave her sleep in sitting room while doing my bits during the day but wondering should I put her up bed in bedroom like night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

andreac wrote: »
    Thanks ladies. I'd be happy with even 3 hours of unbroken sleep ha ha. Wouldn't expect much more at this stage.
    Just wondering with the naps during the day would you put them up to bed where it's really quiet like night time or let them nap down stairs where you are and tv on etc? We have a Moses basket down stairs as well as the bedroom and I usually leave her sleep in sitting room while doing my bits during the day but wondering should I put her up bed in bedroom like night time.

Until our fella was 3 and half months he slept in moses basket in living room with tv, hoover, doorbell you name it to contend with. Made a great sleeper of him and he wouldn't wake now if there was a marching band going through the room!

We keep our fella downstairs in the day with all the noise as well. Can’t be dealing with running up and down the stairs whenever he wakes up.

Grand. That's what I've been doing so I'll keep doing that.
    Yeah think I'd be wrecked going up and down all day too lol.

Same here, said from day one I wanted to get her used to noise. Done the hovering in all today with her asleep in my arms :)... Have the buggy downstairs with the bassinet and we pop her in there to sleep... Again could not be running up and down the stairs, not suppose to either with the section. So works out well...

Bee I hope you feel better soon, one day at a time and take all the help you can get.. Your husband sounds like a great man fair deuce to him... I know he should just help out but a lot of men would not...

Justwhatithink, hopefully you will ease out soon. Defo found the moving around helpful but then I felt able to move around so it wasn't bad.. Are the pains still bad then? I get a kinda pain on my right hand side, depends which way I am sitting and like you said if I turn too quickly a certain way.. Think tis normal but might ask the nurse the next time

andreac wrote: »
    Up to yourself andrea, if it's working downstairs it's probably no harm to leave her there.You will start to notice round three months she won't drop off so easily and you will probably have to move her upstairs anyway as her naps settle into a better pattern anyway.
    Bee are you taking iron tablets?I literally felt like a whole new woman when I started on them, couldn't believe it took the doctor telling me at 6 weeks before I thoght of taking them!

shesty wrote: »
    Bee are you taking iron tablets?I literally felt like a whole new woman when I started on them, couldn't believe it took the doctor telling me at 6 weeks before I thoght of taking them!

Yep, taking the dreaded Galfer. They gave me an iron transfusion when I was still in hospital as well.

• Advertisement

Justwhatithink, hopefully you will ease out soon. Defo found the moving around helpful but then I felt able to move around so it wasn't bad.. Are the pains still bad then? I get a kinda pain on my right hand side, depends which way I am sitting and like you said if I turn too quickly a certain way.. Think tis normal but might ask the nurse the next time

Ya it's quite painful on one side with sharp stabbing pains on moving that can stop me from getting down onto a seat or bed at times, like it feels like it's too tight or something. I kept saying this to them in the hospital but they kept saying it's normal for one side to be more sore and it's just bruised from the surgeon standing that side. I've phoned the public health nurse as she runs a wound clinic so will see if she can look at it but I don't think there's much to tell from the outside.

I might also talk to her about the baby, he seems very windy and spends all his sleep time wriggling and grunting and groaning and has a lot of farts that I think he's struggling to pass through. He winds well during and after feeding and we break up the bottle with winding him. Have tried the bicycle legs and now that his cord is gone I'm gonna do some gentle belly massage too. He's not constipated, we'd two dirty nappies in 12 hours, but definitely think the wind is bothering him and his sleep is very badly disturbed as a result.

Advertisement