Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Milly are there any baby groups in town do you know?

I've been getting out for walks most days, love the bit of fresh air and getting out of the house. Even if its raining herself is well wrapped up and I have the rain cover on so all good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Sounds familiar justwhatithink,our monkey would settle and sleep like the dead for the first part of the night and then grunt and groan her way through the rest of the night after that feed.That was when I ended up having her sleep on my chest, usually from 1/2am onwards.It was the only way I could get sleep (and I had an early rising toddler so I had to get sleep).I would lie on my back propped slightly on two pillows, put her on her tummy on my chest and push the duvet way down to her feet.Usually put her blanket over her to keep her warm and I just wore a jumper or something to keep warm.I had to sleep!As time went on I walked the floors a good bit with her wailing during those hours too.It settled eventually but it's a long process.They all 'have their time' as I heard said.(ie a time of day they will cry through!!)It wears you down but it will come right.The most important thing is to get as much sleep as possible yourself because you can cope better once you have had some bit of sleep.

There is a growth spurt round 10 days amd round 3/4 weeks as far as I remember and they tend to be very unsettled round that time.Do you have the wonder weeks app?it might help you know when they are due.Some babies you din't notice it much but others you really do and you start to wonder are you going nuts or are they! (for what it's worth, the full moon has a profound effect on our eldest - it's currently very full and we have had a very bad weekend!!their ability to make you doubt your sanity is truly amazing at all ages....)

Don't worry too much about the daytime, once he starts to realise that night time is a change of pace and different,and not a time for chats and playing that's all you want for now.You can put more structure round his daytime naps in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

lashes34 wrote: »
    Milly are there any baby groups in town do you know?

I've been getting out for walks most days, love the bit of fresh air and getting out of the house. Even if its raining herself is well wrapped up and I have the rain cover on so all good.

I am not too sure lashes, to be honest I haven't really looked into any... I know there was a pilates (sorry cant spell it) class in town but that was it..
    Good on you getting out before now, your flying it... I just thought the weather was horrible and dya know maybe I wasn't ready for it either.. Have all the bits and pieces done now so looking forward to getting back to the outside world...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Milly33 wrote: »
    We used the cooled down boiled water for any trapped wind and it seems to do the trick,both for wind and if she is constipated.. Rubbing the gut in a clockwise motion too.

Got a gift of a cleva mama wedge pillow at the weekend,and they do seem quite good.. I would not use it all the time only if she was giving out with wind.. But cant see the harm in them

Hi milly, just wondering how old your baby is? And how do you give the baby the cooled boiled water? My little one won’t take it from the bottle, you’d swear it was alcohol is in the bottle with the faces she makes! She’s breast fed only and we only introduced a bottle the weekend just gone

Hi ladies, haven’t been on as I was sick over the weekend! Ended up with mastitis! It’s a rotten dose of anyone ends up with it! From Friday night till lunchtime Saturday I thought i had the flu!! That’s your symptoms ached pains headache and a high temperature! I couldn’t believe it as I had gotten the flu jab! I then noticed a redness on my left breast so that’s when it clicked with me! Trying to get the little lady to feed off that side to clear it but she def is finding feeding from that side hard! It ain’t easy at all being this miserable and minding a small baby! Feel like a failure but I know that’s irrational and just the tiredness kicking in.

Justwhatithink we all feel completely out of our depth. Sometimes I think there’s too much info online and it’s telling us what we should be doing rather than how to do things properly! Like every baby is different! Mine sleeps 4/5 hours straight once a night and maybe a 2-3 hour nap during the day but rest of the time she’s only cat napping here and there! She’s 4 weeks today! So she’s awake far longer than the 1-1.5 hours she’s meant to be! But so hard to know what to do because surely the 4/5 hour sleep at night is a step in the right direction? Or is she just over tired at night? Also she’s meant to sleep about 14-18 hours a day and she only averages about 12 hours a dat?! I’m not sure is that good? Is it something I should try and fix?? Who knows?!

Great being part of this form as someone was saying they didn’t realise how difficult it was going to be! I just said that to my husband today! I really didn’t know how hard it was going to be! So reassuring that others are going through the same thing though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Water isn't advised for breastfed babies Pocos, as it can fill baby up and suppress the urge to take a milk feed.

Water isn't advised for breastfed babies Pocos, as it can fill baby up and suppress the urge to take a milk feed.

I was told to give coiled boiled water to help with wind.. just an ounce or two to get the digestive system moving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Outdated advice if that was from a HCP.

H Pocos, glad you are back on the mend, jes is there no end to things you have to go through... I was giving the water from the bottle but then our lady has had no issue with the bottle from day one, haha I don't thinks he cares once there is something in it for her :)....

Got the same from the nurse when I said about the water, and feck it, my mum done it, my friend and it works for us so I'm going with it.. Find it great and in fairness if you think of what would soothe your own stomach if upset or blocked up, the water makes sense.. I would prefer to go au natural than something from the chemist, but that just how we roll :)

You could try to add a little bit of sugar to it, I just add a maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon for 2 oz sometimes, maybe she would take it if it was a little sweeter.... Or you could try a dropper, I know you can get big ones for giving medicine that might work...

It is hard indeed and with you, tis nice to know you aren't alone... Well done to all the ladies we can do it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ladies any ideas on what to do with the million baby gift bags we got with pressies in them? Shame to throw them out so wondering could I give them to charity shop or somewhere?
    We have loads. Prob 30 or 40 of them lol.

• Advertisement

could see if a local school might take them for art and crafts

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

We've loads of those bags too. There's a local 'freecycle' facebook page I might put them on, it's amazing what people will take for free! Might be worth checking if anything similar in your locality Andreac.

I have the Wonder Weeks app now alright Shesty, seems to describe last weeks blip fairly closely. Will be watching for the next one.

Sounds like you had a rough weekend Pocos, glad you're on the mend. It is great to have the forum here alright to share the tough times with.

sorry Pocos too she is 6 weeks this Friday, gave her the first lot of it in the early days think she was about 4 days old

Thanks ladies for all your replies!

Milly the water just wasn’t going down with herself I never even thought of adding sugsr! We started the gripe water today as she’s just old enough so will see in a few days does that work! Will be hard to know as I’m on antibiotics it will affect her digestive system anyway!

Like yourself I would prefer the water but if she won’t take it.. she’s loving the gripe water though so will definitely give it a go for a few days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

My girls latest is she wont go to sleep after her night feeds. Much more fun to stay up smiling and laughing. Very cute but I need sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Hi all, just dipping in frm the January 2018 thread. My little fella is two weeks tomorrow and im having a bit of trouble getting him to take the vit d drops.

Public health nurse said put it into the teat of a bottle but he doesnt drink it all. Then i put it into a 30ml bottle with formula and found he had an awful lot of spew after it - much more than normal.

Anyone any ideas?

The last 2 nights have been really restless. From about 11pm he just wants to feed feed feed. Seems to be no stopping him. He was at this with only a doze in and out of sleep for about an hour or so untill 3am. Is this the growth spurt stage?

Poor hubby had to leave the room coz he was gettin no sleep and was to be up at 5am for a job 2 hours away.

Any help greatly appreciated :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Will he not take the drops from the dropper either?

Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? If BF then cluster feeding is very normal to help bring in your supply.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Slide the dropper into the side of his mouth and put them in that way.It takes practice, needs to be done quickly.

Growth spurts will also result in cluster feeding like that, and I think there is one round ten days-ish.Expect another in a couple of weeks.You will probably find your supply increases a good bit after them.

I mentioned earlier the wonder weeks is what they can be called.I don't get too involved in the details of what happens in them, but you can check them out to give you a rough timeline of when to expect them.They last up to about two years and mark developmental stages., I think there is about ten of them?Tend to be accompanied by increased feeding, uncharacteristic behaviour (for your baby) and odd sleep patterns.

bee06 wrote: »
    Will he not take the drops from the dropper either?

Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? If BF then cluster feeding is very normal to help bring in your supply.

Havent tried direct from the dropper - can that be done?

Im breastfeeding and toppin up with a bottle coz hes a bit of jaundice and docs at hospital recommended it. He only seems to be mad for the feed at night :-/

How else were you doing it?I just popped the dropper into the mouth on both mine, and that was it.Although no.2.became quite adept at spitting a lot back out as time went on!!I ran the dropper quickly under boiling water afterwards each time.

There's something nighttime breastmilk they look for (can't remember the name of it).Mine used to feed a lot more at night too.

• Advertisement

My fella is 4 weeks and I’ve only used the dropper.

Cluster feeding in the evening and night is completely normal and the more he feeds the quicker the jaundice will go as well. My fella had jaundice as well and I just fed him practically constantly to get rid of the billirubin. Jaundice is quite common in breastfed babies, I’m surprise they recommended you top up with formula.

https://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

https://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-basics/importance-responsive-feeding/

donkey10 yep from the dropper is fine, surprised the health nurse didn't tell you this.. Just run the dropper top under some hot water for a bit or sterilise it in some warm water and tis grand.. We only done it the one time sterilise it but don't take my word, maybe it should be done all the time.. Just plonk two little drops then in his mouth he wont even notice..

The growth spurts are fun aren't they... :) Just as you think you are getting settled its like hahah fooled you!!! Sounds like cluster feeding alright, hopefully he will stop soon. It feels like it is forever when it happens and then when you think back it might have only been 2 or 3 days, I know that doesn't help, but it will end.. Would ye have the option of maybe sleeping in separate rooms so your hubby can get the rest..

Trying to action herselfs sleep patterns during the day now.. So we have nap times from around 2ish - 3 or 3.30 and then maybe 6-7ish... Then 9-10, seems to be working she had lots of fun on her play mat last night, it was so cute..

She has been more awake going to bed too you could spend a while just looking at her, gazing around the room but have to be good and just turns the lights off and let her coo herself to sleep. A friend gave us a small dream catcher and we put it above her cot and she is locked onto it the min she goes into bed...

shesty wrote: »
    How else were you doing it?I just popped the dropper into the mouth on both mine, and that was it.Although no.2.became quite adept at spitting a lot back out as time went on!!I ran the dropper quickly under boiling water afterwards each time.

There's something nighttime breastmilk they look for (can't remember the name of it).Mine used to feed a lot more at night too.

Puttjng it into 30ml bottle formula

He just seens to spew it up!

Cluster feeding in the evening and night is completely normal and the more he feeds the quicker the jaundice will go as well. My fella had jaundice as well and I just fed him practically constantly to get rid of the billirubin. Jaundice is quite common in breastfed babies, I’m surprise they recommended you top up with formula.

Im surprised too their usually solely for exclusively breast feeding. Its funby this whole mad crazy feeding only started last 2 nights. Will this continue or is it only this whole growth spurt ?
    Is there any way of trying to get them feed more during the day probably a stupid question but im a full time mother!

Milly33 wrote: »
    donkey10 yep from the dropper is fine, surprised the health nurse didn't tell you this.. Just run the dropper top under some hot water for a bit or sterilise it in some warm water and tis grand.. We only done it the one time sterilise it but don't take my word, maybe it should be done all the time.. Just plonk two little drops then in his mouth he wont even notice..

The growth spurts are fun aren't they... :) Just as you think you are getting settled its like hahah fooled you!!! Sounds like cluster feeding alright, hopefully he will stop soon. It feels like it is forever when it happens and then when you think back it might have only been 2 or 3 days, I know that doesn't help, but it will end.. Would ye have the option of maybe sleeping in separate rooms so your hubby can get the rest..

Trying to action herselfs sleep patterns during the day now.. So we have nap times from around 2ish - 3 or 3.30 and then maybe 6-7ish... Then 9-10, seems to be working she had lots of fun on her play mat last night, it was so cute..

She has been more awake going to bed too you could spend a while just looking at her, gazing around the room but have to be good and just turns the lights off and let her coo herself to sleep. A friend gave us a small dream catcher and we put it above her cot and she is locked onto it the min she goes into bed...

The 1ml from the dropper seems loads doesnt it! Ill try that today and see how goes.
    So its fine to pour hot water on the dropper after use and put it directly into the bottle??

Yeah wev got the spare room but hubby just wanted to be in the same room as us but i just told him to go this morniing at 3am coz last time we need is him falling asleep behind the wheel! He actually seems and looks more wrecked tired than me!

So this cluster feedibg doesnt continue the whole time? Is he too young (2 weeks tomoro)to try get into a routine thats harder with breast feeding i suppose.

What age is your little girl? How are you working the routine? Are you bottle feeding her so waking her up ?

Honestly, it could be a few days or it could be longer, there is no way of knowing. Every baby is different. You just need to go with the flow. If you are struggling with the night feeds, sleep in the day when he’s sleeping. You can’t “force” them to feed during the day instead unfortunately.

Now, since you are combination feeding I suppose you could give the formula at night to fill him up but if you are hoping to move to exclusively breastfeed just keep breastfeeding as much as possible to build up your supply.

Honestly, it could be a few days or it could be longer, there is no way of knowing. You just need to go with the flow. If you are struggling with the night feeds, sleep in the day when he’s sleeping. You can’t “force” them to feed during the day instead unfortunately.

Now, since you are combination feeding I suppose you could give the formula at night to fill him up but if you are hoping to move to exclusively breastfeed just keep breastfeeding as much as possible to build up your supply.

Well he is a big feeder even during the day i dont think ill move exclusively to breast feeding as its tough work. At least this way hubby can feed bottle formuLa to give me a bit of a break even if i havent expressed

https://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-basics/importance-responsive-feeding/

Im surprised too their usually solely for exclusively breast feeding. Its funby this whole mad crazy feeding only started last 2 nights. Will this continue or is it only this whole growth spurt ?
    Is there any way of trying to get them feed more during the day probably a stupid question but im a full time mother!

donkey10 wrote: »
    The 1ml from the dropper seems loads doesnt it! Ill try that today and see how goes.
    So its fine to pour hot water on the dropper after use and put it directly into the bottle??

Yeah wev got the spare room but hubby just wanted to be in the same room as us but i just told him to go this morniing at 3am coz last time we need is him falling asleep behind the wheel! He actually seems and looks more wrecked tired than me!

So this cluster feedibg doesnt continue the whole time? Is he too young (2 weeks tomoro)to try get into a routine thats harder with breast feeding i suppose.

What age is your little girl? How are you working the routine? Are you bottle feeding her so waking her up ?

As bee said the cluster feeding it is hard to know how long it will go on for, depends on each child. Herself was maybe for 1 - 2 days really, nothing major...

Oh don't give the entire full dropper, it is just one to two drops from it.. There should have been instructions on the packet.. We just sterilized the dropper the once, so maybe google or again read the leaflet that came with it... Remember though to let the dropper cool down before using it on the baby...

The routine is all up to whatever ye want to do! I was going to say it earlier perhaps it might be an idea to give him a bottle at night that way he might sleep better for ye during the night... Whatever works best for ye is the main thing.

I am all for this don't let the baby rule your day, to a certain degree...But then I like routine... My little one is 6 weeks old Friday :) time flies...

For the first three days I breast feed only, with the plan of when we got back home to express and give a bottle at night.. So plan went to a mix of breast and bottle (as I don't produce enough milk me thinks for full time breast feeding, plus tis a lot harder than it looks :) ) So she has formula and then breast and formula..

Her last feed is at 12 at night so im trying to keep her awake from 11 - 12, bottle and then down to bed. You can wake them up for a feed if they need it, I remember my brother calling it the dream feed..

I found the Contented Baby book by Gina Ford great for getting to know feeding patterns, times etc..She is online also.. Just found her great for a feeding pattern to use as a guideline to help you to figure out what works for you and the baby...

• Advertisement

shesty wrote: »
    Slide the dropper into the side of his mouth and put them in that way.It takes practice, needs to be done quickly.

Growth spurts will also result in cluster feeding like that, and I think there is one round ten days-ish.Expect another in a couple of weeks.You will probably find your supply increases a good bit after them.

I mentioned earlier the wonder weeks is what they can be called.I don't get too involved in the details of what happens in them, but you can check them out to give you a rough timeline of when to expect them.They last up to about two years and mark developmental stages., I think there is about ten of them?Tend to be accompanied by increased feeding, uncharacteristic behaviour (for your baby) and odd sleep patterns.

Wil try this later hopefully it works!

Advertisement