Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Milly33 wrote: »
    As bee said the cluster feeding it is hard to know how long it will go on for, depends on each child. Herself was maybe for 1 - 2 days really, nothing major...

Oh don't give the entire full dropper, it is just one to two drops from it.. There should have been instructions on the packet.. We just sterilized the dropper the once, so maybe google or again read the leaflet that came with it... Remember though to let the dropper cool down before using it on the baby...

The routine is all up to whatever ye want to do! I was going to say it earlier perhaps it might be an idea to give him a bottle at night that way he might sleep better for ye during the night... Whatever works best for ye is the main thing.

I am all for this don't let the baby rule your day, to a certain degree...But then I like routine... My little one is 6 weeks old Friday :) time flies...

For the first three days I breast feed only, with the plan of when we got back home to express and give a bottle at night.. So plan went to a mix of breast and bottle (as I don't produce enough milk me thinks for full time breast feeding, plus tis a lot harder than it looks :) ) So she has formula and then breast and formula..

Her last feed is at 12 at night so im trying to keep her awake from 11 - 12, bottle and then down to bed. You can wake them up for a feed if they need it, I remember my brother calling it the dream feed..

I found the Contented Baby book by Gina Ford great for getting to know feeding patterns, times etc..She is online also.. Just found her great for a feeding pattern to use as a guideline to help you to figure out what works for you and the baby...

The 1ml on the dropper goes a good bit up the bottle anf i showed the public health nurse and she said yeah the full 1ml. What brand are you using? Does it not have the 1ml measurement line on the dropper?

How do you keep her awake during the day? I find once he has fed from me durin the day he just dozes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

donkey10 wrote: »
    The 1ml on the dropper goes a good bit up the bottle anf i showed the public health nurse and she said yeah the full 1ml. What brand are you using? Does it not have the 1ml measurement line on the dropper?

How do you keep her awake during the day? I find once he has fed from me durin the day he just dozes off.

Every brand is different, I’m using Sona and I give 0.25ml which is marked on the dropper. Go with whatever is on the instructions.

In terms of routine, I’m the opposite of Milly. There is none for us. He sleeps when he sleeps, feeds when he wants and that’s the end of it. I have no interest in trying to form a routine for him at this stage and won’t even think about it until he’s 3-4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah ok well if it says 1ml then go with that.. The one I have just says to drop two drops its Kelkin brand baby vit D...You can get mini kinda syrinage thing too for given medicines perhaps one of these might be useful.

During the day its play time, keep her awake by having tummy time, playing on her mat.. Someone may sing a lot to her also, and well she kinda stays awake too.. It is really only when you see her dosing off that you must try entertain her.. She is 6 weeks as I saw so tis really only this week we are trying to keep to sleep times.. Spent the last few weeks getting to know what time she got hungry and what times she kinda slept.. Lets say for the first 2 weeks it was just do whatever, then 3rd week get feeding pattern down, and settle in a bit more. Once she started gaining weight etc and we were all happy then it is nap time routine.. Sleep is very important for babies but too much sleep can be just as bad...Just like yourself really...

Ah ok well if it says 1ml then go with that.. The one I have just says to drop two drops its Kelkin brand baby vit D...You can get mini kinda syrinage thing too for given medicines perhaps one of these might be useful.

During the day its play time, keep her awake by having tummy time, playing on her mat.. Someone may sing a lot to her also, and well she kinda stays awake too.. It is really only when you see her dosing off that you must try entertain her.. She is 6 weeks as I saw so tis really only this week we are trying to keep to sleep times.. Spent the last few weeks getting to know what time she got hungry and what times she kinda slept.. Lets say for the first 2 weeks it was just do whatever, then 3rd week get feeding pattern down, and settle in a bit more. Once she started gaining weight etc and we were all happy then it is nap time routine.. Sleep is very important for babies but too much sleep can be just as bad...Just like yourself really...

Yeah will prob try get into routine in comin weeks tis stil a bit too early i suppose

Does anyone prepare their bottles this way? As i mentioned earlier i breastfeed but toppin up with bottle to get rid of the jaundice.

Sterilise everythibg, boil kettle, fill bottles with required water (dont cool). When bottles needed i fill with formula etc and warm them in a bottle warmer

• Advertisement

Do take yer time and get to know what patterns he likes.. Cant say I do with the water now, id let it cool and then make up the bottles.. Cant see the issue doing it the way you are doing it, bar just to make sure to use them within the 24 hours..

Do take yer time and get to know what patterns he likes.. Cant say I do with the water now, id let it cool and then make up the bottles.. Cant see the issue doing it the way you are doing it, bar just to make sure to use them within the 24 hours..

Yup usin it with 24 hrs. I just find when i made up bottles using cooled water together with formula and refrigerated that i had a lot of waste when i was only using as top ups. At least this way im only throwin water away

Tried the dropper and into the mouth worked perfectly

donkey10 wrote: »
    Does anyone prepare their bottles this way? As i mentioned earlier i breastfeed but toppin up with bottle to get rid of the jaundice.

Sterilise everythibg, boil kettle, fill bottles with required water (dont cool). When bottles needed i fill with formula etc and warm them in a bottle warmer

I’m not using formula but I thought that the water had to be above certain temperature to ensure the bacteria in the powder is killed because formula isn’t sterile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Yep the powder needs to go into the water when its hot per the instructions on the tin to sterilise the powder. What about using the ready made formula rather than powder seeing as you use so little? Would work out more expensive but easier.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Don't force a routine before about 6 weeks other than a change of clothes and dim lights etc. at bedtime. Anything other than that is just going to drive you nuts because they don't have a routine and forcing one won't work.

You will see a shape coming to the day round 8 weeks in terms of feeds and naps, but it is 12 weeks before that shape becomes quite predictable and you can start to time it yourself, knowing that he will need to sleep around X time each day, and will have feeds roughly round certain hours.

And growth spurts/developmental leaps will catch you every time, regardless of bottle or breast. There will be days they won't sleep/only sleep or will want more regular feeds. You need to roll with it. You fit into the baby's life for the first 12 weeks or so, not them fitting into yours :D Otherwise you are going to seriously frustrate yourself and the baby will pick up on that and get unsettled.

For what it's worth we have fairly rigid routines in our house, but I have learned from experience that time is the only thing that will sort these into place, and pushing it before it is time is not worth it.

• Advertisement

Ah there you go now, with the formula.. There is a reason why they say to mix it up then , suppose tis always best to do as the tin says unless you are sure yourself..

Man these babies are just so cute, herself has started cooing and laughed this evening, weak..

Ah there you go now, with the formula.. There is a reason why they say to mix it up then , suppose tis always best to do as the tin says unless you are sure yourself..

Man these babies are just so cute, herself has started cooing and laughed this evening, weak..

Aw sure u could stare at them all day!!

For all those up at night with the little ones I Saw this beautiful piece on facebook the other day, so true. Made me cry!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1749770068377073&id=320198444667583

I read that a couple of days ago as well. Puts everything in perspective!

What did you do that for now, I haven't cried but there is something there!!

bee06 wrote: »
    I read that a couple of days ago as well. Puts everything in perspective!

It sure does its all worth it!

What did you do that for now, I haven't cried but there is something there!!

It really touches the spot!

I have a question for the ladies who were induced.. If ye don't mind would love to know. When ye were given the gels, were ye actually examined also? Just putting down the details of how the induction and labour went, and trying to figure is it normal or not. When I got the first gel, the doc more or less came in went bing bang gel went in and that was it, the same when the second gel went in. I was never examined as such.. I remember the nurse coming in asking me, and I said no I wasn't and she kinda blew it off saying of course you were

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

Yep, I had Propess for 24hrs and examined after, then the gel and examined 6 hrs after to check for progress. Not sure what's normal but given we were anticipating a section might be required maybe that's why I was examined, to see if there was any progress at all cause there wasn't after the Propess and I was 2 weeks overdue to start with.

I have a question for the ladies who were induced.. If ye don't mind would love to know. When ye were given the gels, were ye actually examined also? Just putting down the details of how the induction and labour went, and trying to figure is it normal or not. When I got the first gel, the doc more or less came in went bing bang gel went in and that was it, the same when the second gel went in. I was never examined as such.. I remember the nurse coming in asking me, and I said no I wasn't and she kinda blew it off saying of course you were

Yup was examined after first gel. Then ended up being taken to labour ward and waters artificially burst i still reckon i coukd have done with another gel as waters burst too soon

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I had the gel and examined as she reckoned my cervix hadn't thinned out enough and I was 1cm, then I was to be examined 6 hours later to see if I needed another gel. I didn't get the second examination as baby was on his way out at that stage.

• Advertisement

Thank you ladies!!! Ye are great... A daft one now, but the exam would you know you are being examined as such? Might seem like a silly question but being honest I do not remember getting any exam down there (this was before any drugs) I just remember them coming in going yep and popping the gel in...It was like done in less than 5mins...

Just little things I am writing down and trying to be sure, to be sure.. I find it odd that one min my waters had broken, and they were full sure they had broken.. Then if went to the next day a few hours before the section and then yeah we actually weren't sure if you waters had broken or was it mec leaking? I mean surely there is a difference, and she was covered in mec when she was born..

Even just thinking about that, is that not wrong. As in how could I leak Meconium if my waters had not broken? This midwife while lovely just annoyed me a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

Well for me I would say yes you would know - they're having a feel for how far baby is down, the position of your cervix etc...a good rummage around for want of a better phrase...but the Dr did the gel while examining me, it wasn't a separate procedure as such. So your Dr possibly got a feel for the lay of the land while 'in there' (if you were dilated, what position your cervix was at etc) and popped the gel in while at it, but maybe didn't specify what they were doing at the time. Don't know about the waters/meconiun...

Yeah for me aswell would defo have felt it - its uncomfortable i wouldnt really say sore then again it depends how much rummaging around the area he is doing!

So is this normal - my LO slept 6 hours yesterday 12noon to 6pm then was up untill 11 pm last night between feeding chnaging amd trying to get him sleeo.
    Again he has slept from 11pm last night to just before 6am so basicqlly another 6 hours.
    Its still possibly part of this growth spurt but is this normal and how do i get him out of this

If there was any question over what was in your waters I don't think they'd hang around waiting for baby to come out. Maybe I'm wrong but especially if it was meconium.

Donkey is he a good weight? He's about 3 weeks now is it? My 10 day old slept 5 and a half hours the other night at 7 days old. If you woke him would he take a feed?

If there was any question over what was in your waters I don't think they'd hang around waiting for baby to come out. Maybe I'm wrong but especially if it was meconium.

Donkey is he a good weight? He's about 3 weeks now is it? My 10 day old slept 5 and a half hours the other night at 7 days old. If you woke him would he take a feed?

Hes 2 weeks since thur. Wad weighin in at 8 pounds 6 ounces last monday - he had gained 106g since the previous weigh and they were very happy with him.
    I didnt try wake him yesterday on his first 6 hours coz i put it down to him feedin for hours the previous night.
    I just thought 5 hours was ages to be up from 6 to 11 last night and he was feedin but u could see he was tired he was givn all the signs but when we put him down he wouldnt go to sleep

I find we're hit and miss here, he could be awake for hours purely due to over tiredness, he's just not able to switch off. He just can't sleep for any length if he's wrecked. If they're smaller babies it's to do with their sugar levels dropping so you wouldn't let them sleep for hours without a feed. Was he unsettled for the hours he was awake?
    From 8 weeks our girl slept thru the night but never slept during the day until she went into her cot in her own room at 6 months!

I've started giving our LO some very diluted fennel tea for wind, we gave it to our first girl too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Leave him donkey, that's fine .They do have long periods of wakefulness, the problem being they then get overtired and find it hard to drop off.That is always a problem with kids, for example when my eldest is overtired she literally goes mad running around, and will wake much earlier in the morning (she's an extreme example).There's very little you can do about it at the newborn stage because their routine is just not there, so just operate on the basis that he can't stay awake forever.You can try to help him get to sleep, but unfortunantely at that age it takes as long as it takes.I just aim to get them to sleep im the 1.5 hour window (before signs of tiredness appear generally) but know that it won't always work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi ladies. Has anyone got their period back yet? Mine arrived yest and my little girl is 8 weeks today.
    I'm still pumping 3 times a day and thought it wouldn't come back while I'm still expressing.
    But it's back with a bang.

Advertisement