Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ahh!! Isnt it sweet.. Now I have tarzan in my head haha the way the mention that animals do it to hug onto their mothers...Babys are just so cute (I say this while she is sleeping)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My little fella started his 6 week growth spurt yesterday. I’ve been trapped under him most of the day and have to pee so bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

We give our two week old fennel tea for wind, we gave it to our little girl too when she was his age, we let the tea bag stew for 2 mins and then pour some into a bottle and then water it down more, it's about finding the right strength for your child. I find it great. I think if you're breastfeeding you can drink it yourself. We use udo's choice probiotics too.

Thanks farmers wife, might pick up some tomorrow. We have been using the cooled down water but it takes a while to action, maybe the fennel would work better. Poor thing had a very upset tummy tonight with wind, and spewed up a lot.. Wondering was the bottle off or something...

I got a lovely pressie of Welcome little baby tea from my sis, thought it was so nice Temptation Tea Welcome Little Baby really cute, I think it has fennel in it which makes sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Thanks new farmers wife! Where would you even buy fennel tea? Super market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

So when are these night feeds likely to end?! My nephews both slept through from 7 weeks so had that in my head but shes 7.5 weeks now and not looking like its going to happen soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

My little one is 9 weeks tomorrow and is sleeping from about 10 until 4 at the mo so still not sleeping through. Then she goes back down until around 7/7.30 and will feed and have another sleep until.aeound 9.30/10.

I get the fennel tea in the health food shop, I'll take a picture this morning, we got a different one before and she didn't like it so we only use this one now. I made it last night, after it stewed I put 2oz of tea in a bottle and another 2oz of water so it's not as strong. I only usually give about an oz twice a day between feeds.
    My lo slept through the night from her 8 week vaccinations onwards, I'm really counting on this little man doing the same!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

You might get 6 hours or so at a stretch lashes, but I wouldn't expect any baby to sleep 10/11 hours at night til at least 12 weeks.We still did a dream feed at that stage anyway round 10pm.And BF babies probably won't for much longer.

OSI wrote: »
    You can get Fennel tea in Holland & Barrett. Just be warned to give it in serious moderation, there's cases in the US of babies receiving neurological damage from being given too much.

We water the strength down and he gets max 2oz on a good day. And it's not a long term use either.
    I think my little girl started with sleeping 8 hours at night before increasing. This little man slept 6 the other night, I was awake waiting for him today wake up for his bottle!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone regrading the fennel tea! It’s so hard seeing them in pain trying to pass wind!!

Lashes I was literally going to ask the same question! My little one down at 11.30-4., back down at 5.30-7.30! Just wondering when that feed in the middle disappears! She is EBF so I’m assuming it won’t be anytime soon...

Now I’m not complaining getting 5+ hours sleep is very good! But just curious when breast fed babies tend to do sleep from night till morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

It's normal for babies to wake at night to feed or for comfort up to 12-18+ months, some babies sleep "through" early but definitely not the majority. And sleeping through is defined as 5-6 straight hours, not 11/12. Their stomachs are the same size at night as they are during the day, so especially with breast milk which is easily digested they wake every few hours to refill. Overnight waking protects against SIDS too as they don't spend too long in a very deep sleep.

So spotty banana what your saying is she technically sleeping through the night once she’s sleeping 5 hours! So the middle night feed won’t be gone for a while!!!

Ok was just wondering! You hear of babies going 7-7 but in fairness they are usually bottle fed ones

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Pocos wrote: »
    Thanks everyone regrading the fennel tea! It’s so hard seeing them in pain trying to pass wind!!

Lashes I was literally going to ask the same question! My little one down at 11.30-4., back down at 5.30-7.30! Just wondering when that feed in the middle disappears! She is EBF so I’m assuming it won’t be anytime soon...

Now I’m not complaining getting 5+ hours sleep is very good! But just curious when breast fed babies tend to do sleep from night till morning!!

I wouldn’t give a breastfed baby anything else. Are you taking probiotics yourself? Find them great when BF to help windy and spewy babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Pocos wrote: »
    So spotty banana what your saying is she technically sleeping through the night once she’s sleeping 5 hours! So the middle night feed won’t be gone for a while!!!

Ok was just wondering! You hear of babies going 7-7 but in fairness they are usually bottle fed ones

Also, people exaggerate how long their children sleep! Some see parenting and their babies as some sort of warped competition. I did the opposite, brutal honesty, when asked how my first son slept I told everyone he woke every 1-2 hours until he was 2, now at nearly 3 he stretches to every 1-3 hours, good of him!

One of the reasons I went with a routine is just for this reason, so you aren't disrupted too much... She will be 7 weeks this Friday, for well at least the last three weeks.. She has a feed at 12 and then another at 7. She doesn't budge for another feed, the only thing is I change her nappy at 4 or 4.30 that is it...

They say it takes 3hrs for breast milk to digest and around 3. 5 for formula,so tis fairly good to work out a feeding pattern using this...The little angel calls there so ill be back

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Most BF babies I know don't sleep a full night through til at least 6/7 months.And they might do it the odd time then!Every baby will wake at night, I'd expect to be woken most nights til at least 14 mths or so.It's how quick I can get them back to sleep is the big thing!!
    By 14 months, I'd expect maybe 3 out of 7 nights, I won't get disturbed ....on a good week where there are no teeth etc.Course the next week, I could be woken every night.
    We do not feed ours when they wake at night from about 12 weeks....we do a bedtime feed, a later dream feed and that is generally it til about 6am anyway.It works for us, but there have been plenty of nights where they are repeatedly awake....not crying or bothered just awake-developmental reasons, teeth, sleep regressions, whatever.We stay with them, settle them etc. and they tend to go back to sleep.But that's what works for us.
    They have good routines,early set bedtimes, their feeds settle into a pattern during the day, but babies wake at night for many reasons....it's what they do.Mine are actually very good sleepers, though it mightn't sound it.But I'd have no expectations of them sleeping 7-7 undisturbed every night til well over a year.(sorry!!!!)

The next edit to that is they are now 3.5 and 21 mths and have both disturbed us every night for the last three nights, because they have colds.You get used to it to be honest, has to be a really really bad night of vomiting or something for you to really feel it badly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

shesty wrote: »
    Most BF babies I know don't sleep a full night through til at least 6/7 months.And they might do it the odd time then!Every baby will wake at night, I'd expect to be woken most nights til at least 14 mths or so.It's how quick I can get them back to sleep is the big thing!!
    By 14 months, I'd expect maybe 3 out of 7 nights, I won't get disturbed ....on a good week where there are no teeth etc.Course the next week, I could be woken every night.
    We do not feed ours when they wake at night from about 12 weeks....we do a bedtime feed, a later dream feed and that is generally it til about 6am anyway.It works for us, but there have been plenty of nights where they are repeatedly awake....not crying or bothered just awake-developmental reasons, teeth, sleep regressions, whatever.We stay with them, settle them etc. and they tend to go back to sleep.But that's what works for us.
    They have good routines,early set bedtimes, their feeds settle into a pattern during the day, but babies wake at night for many reasons....it's what they do.Mine are actually very good sleepers, though it mightn't sound it.But I'd have no expectations of them sleeping 7-7 undisturbed every night til well over a year.(sorry!!!!)

The next edit to that is they are now 3.5 and 21 mths and have both disturbed us every night for the last three nights, because they have colds.You get used to it to be honest, has to be a really really bad night of vomiting or something for you to really feel it badly!!

So true. Mine older ones are good sleepers too but still wake at 3 and 2 a couple of nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

If you think about it, most adults don’t sleep through the night either, I certainly would wake a few times each night (pre baby), I just know how to get back to sleep myself whereas a baby doesn’t. So why is it expected that babies will sleep through?

Yeah I don't think there's really a comparison between BF babies and bottle fed babies and sleep, it's not saying a BF baby isn't going to sleep or a bottle fed baby is going to sleep longer, just with bottles you know exactly what they've drank. When I say my girl slept through the night at 8 weeks, that was 8 hours, she never got a feed during the night from then but this little man could be so different. I think all you can do is go along with them. My nephew is 2 and he's still waking during the night for a bottle and some nights a few times. I'd say you could count on one hand the amount of nights he hasn't woken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Little lady was one month yesterday. I know its too early for routine for her but she has slept from midnight until 6am every night this week. I swear by the bath (and by bath i mean a dip in the sink!). It just seems to knock her out. We give half the bottle, have the bath and try to give the rest of the bottle after.
    I'd advise anyone to give just give it a try and see.

I, on the other hand, have been walking the floor the past three nights with nerve pain in my shoulder. She's fast asleep and there i am wide awake. Was with GP earlier today and i took the morphine based tablet and a diphene suppository as prescribed and I'm still in agony.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

andreac wrote: »
    My little one is 9 weeks tomorrow and is sleeping from about 10 until 4 at the mo so still not sleeping through. Then she goes back down until around 7/7.30 and will feed and have another sleep until.aeound 9.30/10.

Would she be up much then during the day? My three week old has started staying up about 6 hours a day and is sleeping from 11pm ish to 4am ish , has a quick feed and change and then back to sleep until about 7.30ish. Hed have a few naps during the day but nothing major.

heldel00 hope the shoulder improves, typical that when the baby sleeps you cannot...Would you chance a good massage...

I get the breast fed and bottle fed are completely different.. I am going half and half and the 5oz bottle at night has her sleeping happily till 7. The only time it doesn't work out is usually when we are late with feeds or feeds get given earlier. My sister BF my nephew all the time, the bottle was expressed milk at night so she knew how much he was getting, and again he was down in a routine in around the same 2 - 3 weeks. Takes a lot of sticking to your guns and being prepared, to express and having a good schedule but it can be done..

Delighted kicked my own arse today and when she was down at 2 it was like right, nows your chance get dressed properly and get out. Went for a lovely walk into town, got caught in rain alright on the way back but thank god for the good hood on the buggy and the wallaboo footmuff (seems to be a bit water resistant).. It was great to get out... Few annoying things that you just don't get when you are not wheeling a buggy around like vans parked on the footpath, and you have to go out on the road to get by them, doesn't help that the drivers are bad.. But it was great to get out need to get back into shape....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

donkey10 wrote: »
    Would she be up much then during the day? My three week old has started staying up about 6 hours a day and is sleeping from 11pm ish to 4am ish , has a quick feed and change and then back to sleep until about 7.30ish. Hed have a few naps during the day but nothing major.

Our little guy was the same. I quickly realized he was overtired. He’s 8 weeks now and from about 6 weeks he started sleeping more. I was prob guilty of trying to keep him awake more during the day for fear he wouldn’t sleep at night. It honestly does get better at 6 weeks.

Little man has awful cradle cap. I’ve tried heated olive oil, covering his head in oilatum, baby oil and while he baby oil took it away it has come back. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

hope everybody and all the babies are doing well

My little fella was seven weeks yesterday and in the last few days he hasn’t been finishing his bottle, I stop to burn him half way through and he falls asleep and won’t finish it then
    He doesn’t seem to be sucking to the extent that it’s tiringhim so I’m not sure if changing the teat size will help but I’ll give it a go

He had been taking 5ozs every four hours no problem until a couple of days ago and was even thinking I’d start offering him six ounces as he was polishing them off so seems odd that he’s not finishing them now

He’s content otherwise and having plenty of wet nappies so trying not to get stressed out about it if he’s not, just curiuous to see if it’s haopening to anybody else

7 weeks! It flies doesn't it, herself is 8 weeks this Friday:) booked her vacines today, I hope they aren't too harsh on her...Delighted to hear he is doing great, well done to ye....

Tis hard to know with the feeds isn't it, when to increase or even decrease them. I was the same mid week, she was having two 5 oz bottles during the day (ontop of others) and I thought she wanted more so said I would up a 4oz to 5oz and the amount of spew was just unreal. She has a exorcist moment with himself.... So cut her back again to only two 5oz and she seems a bit happier.. Id say go with your gut instinct, that's what I keep telling myself. You see so many ans online it gets a big boggling..

I was wondering about the teats too, like how do you know when to change them.. The only thing I get is that size 2 teats (sorry if I am wrong) they flow faster, so maybe that would be an idea if he did as such need all the bottle... Herself is still on 1 but she hasn't had any issues so I'm just leaving her on it...

Has anyone elses baby started drooling, herself again is mad at it the last week...

Fig same thing happening here. He was taking up to 33/35oz but in the last week he has started to fall asleep towards the end of the bottles and is only getting 27/30oz which is low for his age. I keep the bottle close by and try him again if he wakes within the hour and most times he takes it. I’m going to try a few 7oz feeds during the day. I know he stays awake after the 7am feed so will try it then.

Milly our guy is such a dribbler and again only in the past few weeks. I thought it might be because of the soother? We don’t give it to him a lot and he doesn’t take it a lot but it does help him settle during the night or if he’s fighting sleep during the day.

OSI wrote: »
    If they've started falling asleep mid bottle or generally taking longer to finish the same amount it can be a sign they need to move up a teat size. As their suck gets stronger it becomes more tiring for them to suck the milk out of the smaller teat.

Our little guy has reflux so we are using the anti-colic tommee tippee bottles and dr Browns one. I don’t think you can use faster teats with those but I’m open to correction

No, you can change your teat sizes in those too.I've used them both and upped the teat size.
    You get a good enough sense if they are ready or not, if the flow is too fast for them they tend to gulp and splutter a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Fig same thing happening here. He was taking up to 33/35oz but in the last week he has started to fall asleep towards the end of the bottles and is only getting 27/30oz which is low for his age.

How old is your boy? Our girl is nearly 9 weeks and takes a max of 24oz but is gaining weight and doc was happy with her at 6 week check. Is there a chart to follow?

Advertisement