Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I got the 5 litre bottles in tesco, I think they were called ashbeck, the sodium was only 12mg/l. Are you serious, God that's some pain about the water! We're hoping the water doesn't freeze in the house or going to the sheds with she sheep! I've loads of the dribble proof bib's from our girl, he's not going to judge us for putting a girly bib on him when we're stuck :D there's some great deals on them at the pregnancy and baby fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Did ye escape New Farmers then? Very odd the places that are being hit... Even in Cork Kinsale by the sea got a fierce fall of snow but up in the hills there is no sign of it... Would the brand be on the bibs by any chance? I have one or two that are good and few rubbish ones.. Tis worth getting good ones for the sake of sanity..

We got a right dose of snow, wasn't expecting it last night, then realised God only knows when I'll get to town and what if I run out of formula so I went to town and got formula. Roll on Saturday when the worst is behind us. Waiting patiently for DH to get home from work safely!
    We have zippy, funky giraffe and babyboo bib's, not much difference in them, all seem to be made in turkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Just wondering if there’s anything I should be preparing in case if the electriciry going to make bottles and that?

We usually use the tommee tippee machine but should I be boiling the kettle and filling the sterilised bottles with water just in case?

Unfortunately while our heating is gas the cooker is electric so no way of heating water that way

God I hope it doesn't... Was thinking the same there myself and just filled the kettle up with water, and was thinking if the electric went we could use the camping stove perhaps or try boiling it over the fire... And if all else fails we have bottled water... Tis hard alright trying to plan what to do hopefully the electric wont go...Maybe you could make up a few extra bottles just to have them done, they will last 24hours so at least you would have a while to use them...

• Advertisement

thank you new farmers will take a looksee at those ones.. Stay safe and warm everyone

We have a prep machine too so what I'll do is sterilise the bottles as their used and put the water from the prep machine into them so it's just a matter of adding formula as he needs a bottle, we've 6 bottles so that'll get us thru the best part of 24 hours on a good day. He doesn't mind if the bottles aren't warm, we never warmed bottles, always room temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Stay safe everyone! Id have loved if my little lad was older to enjoy the snow!!

I was just thinking the same thing.. My mum is sending through pics of herself and dad building snowmen and I'm like ohhh I want to do that

I find myself thinking that when I was younger I loved snow, now with small small kids I hate it. Once they're big enough to go out it'll be great

• Advertisement

Doubt this level of snow will come along again for a few years! Then again u wouodnt know!

I really hope we never see this again, it's going to take so long to clear! It's hard to even know what day of the week it is!

Ohh tis so lovely though, finally got out for a walk in it, jes there is some amount.. There is mounds here on the road.. Watching drivers in it is scary though I cannot believe people are so stupid to go driving in it, tis mad..

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Milly33 wrote: »
    Bit of a dose so still...God what do ye think is the solution, are you kinda feeling any instincts yourself saying this would work? Have ye tried the Nanny Care milk?

The medication has made a big mprovement but its causing insomnia. She sleeps from 12 to 2 and then up til 6 or 7 theast 4 nights. Its pure torture. Docs are closed til Monday so cant see what our other options are as I cannot keep this up.

Hating the snow, hubby works nearly an hour away and the road is i passable so when he rang this morning he was told he had to go to the station in town so had to walk there, its only about 2km away but still in this weather.

Is she sleeping during the day? What medication did you get for her? Is she on ordinary formula?
    My husband went to drive to work today and got stuck in a mound of snow, he had made it thru a few before that, luckily there was a tractor came along and pulled him out so he spent a few hours building an igloo with our little girl and his nieces and nephews!

Yep she'll sleep during the day on me only. On Losec 5mg once a day and back on regular Aptamil.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Milly33 wrote: »
    Did ye escape New Farmers then? Very odd the places that are being hit... Even in Cork Kinsale by the sea got a fierce fall of snow but up in the hills there is no sign of it... Would the brand be on the bibs by any chance? I have one or two that are good and few rubbish ones.. Tis worth getting good ones for the sake of sanity..

Hi milly , regarding bibs we got some in next, they are in a packet of 4 saying dribble proof on them!
    For girls it has two pink and two white, We a popper to the side to tie them not Velcro! So they don’t fall off and they dry up oretty quick. Can’t remember the price but we find them the best price!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Bee06 don't get a smear test for a few months.Talk to your GP first too.
    They used to do them as a matter of course around six weeks after birth (or 12) but they stopped because they were returning too many abnormal results needing retesting, which were generally normal then.Whatever it is about childbirth, you need to give a few months before testing or it's kind of pointless.I think I had smears done when both my babies were around the 8/9 mth mark.Probably could have gone a couple months earlier, but definitely not this close to the birth anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Lashes, how old is your baby now?Our first had silent reflux, she was on Zantac twice a day from about 6 weeks.She had an absolute motherf%&ker of a sleep regression around 13 weeks though.Would that be it?Nearly killed us, our second didn't have anything so drastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

shesty wrote: »
    Bee06 don't get a smear test for a few months.Talk to your GP first too.
    They used to do them as a matter of course around six weeks after birth (or 12) but they stopped because they were returning too many abnormal results needing retesting, which were generally normal then.Whatever it is about childbirth, you need to give a few months before testing or it's kind of pointless.I think I had smears done when both my babies were around the 8/9 mth mark.Probably could have gone a couple months earlier, but definitely not this close to the birth anyway.

It’s supposed to be three months after birth. The hospital, PHN and the cervical screening phone line were all very insistent on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

It’s 3 months post partum for a smear

That's fair enough....just check with the GP first.That's what I was told in the Rotunda and by the GP.And since I had had one less than three years before giving birth I was told I didn't need one again until the end of the three year window, whenever that worked out to be.

shesty wrote: »
    That's fair enough....just check with the GP first.That's what I was told in the Rotunda and by the GP.And since I had had one less than three years before giving birth I was told I didn't need one again until the end of the three year window, whenever that worked out to be.

Yep, my test was due last July so I couldn’t get it at the time. That’s why I need it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

bee06 wrote: »
    Yep, my test was due last July so I couldn’t get it at the time. That’s why I need it now.

Mine was due while I was pregnant too. They did it 3 months PP.

She'll be 11 weeks tomorrow and this started Monday so she was 10 weeks old. Same day as when we started meds and from talking to others on a reflux FB group its a common side effect. Zantac doesnt seem to cause insomnia so will speak to the doc Monday and see if she will change it over. Did you find zantac good?

Thanks Pocos, will keep note I have a little book for all the good bits and bobs that people recommend.. Tis worth paying a the extra for the good ones I would think, they would drive me bonkers otherwise with the changing...

I am so convinced herself has managed to say Hi! Tis gas it seems to be her favourite word, the smiles that come out of her.. Trying to teach her a little sign language too so using sign and it keeps her entertained if anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

You are very welcome milly! Good bibs are a must!!

lashes34 wrote: »
    She'll be 11 weeks tomorrow and this started Monday so she was 10 weeks old. Same day as when we started meds and from talking to others on a reflux FB group its a common side effect. Zantac doesnt seem to cause insomnia so will speak to the doc Monday and see if she will change it over. Did you find zantac good?

Ah right.Well it worked for us, but you know it's a bit trial and error.We used SMA comfort milk too, just easier on her digestion.
    She was on it morning and evening.She was never a puker though but she was swallowing and gulping a lot, she was obviously 'puking' but it was just cycling up and down inside her throat.The Zantac took the pain out of it, so she seemed to manage better then.Daytime sleep didn't happen, it combined with her being a very alert baby.So at 16 weeks I had to start bringing her to her cot for naps, and just instigating a napping routine through the day.....two hours since she last woke.Had to let her learn to fall asleep herself, we couldn't feed her to sleep or anything.She only ever catnapped for 40mins at a time, just had to accept that. Did the usual, tipped up the head of the bed, the pram was barely used....had to get an infant insert for the buggy and tip the flat seat up one notch for her, which worked, she would fall asleep on walks that way as she got older.
    It's very tough but you learn to find ways to work around it.And yes...you slightly envy those people with 'normal' babies, walking round with them in carseats in buggies and going to mother and baby yoga and the like (!!-all out of the question for ours anyway!).
    My second was a walk in the park in comparison.

Hey lookin for some advice here on sleeping. My little lad is almost 7 weeks old. At the start he would cry when hungry and once fed and changed he would go back to sleep in his cot when put down. Im bf by the way.
    Then from about week 3.5 onwards he would be up from 10am to about 3/4pm feeding the whole time. He would then sleep for maybe 3 hours.

Now he would be awake nearly all day, when i try put him down after him fallin asleep on me he wakes up after about 10 mins and is crying. Really hes gettin no sleep unless he sleeps on me during the day.

Hes very good then by night - i give him a bottle before bed and try get him down by 11.30 which does take a lot of ssshhing etc but he does seem to know the difference between night and day..he would sleep until around 5ish wake for a feed and change and then bac to sleep until about 9.

Anyone else been in the same boat? Ive tried puttin him into buggy durin the day and rockin him but to no avail. He does yawn a good bit durin the day too. Is it possible a baby can lack sleep?

Any help greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement

My little boy only sleeps on me during the day as well. I’ve tried everything except getting a sling but nothing has worked. I’m going to rent a sling on Friday to see if he’d sleep in that but if it doesn’t work then I’ve accepted that I just will spend my days acting as a mattress. It won’t last forever.

At night he goes to sleep at 8pm. Will sleep til 12/1 and wake for a feed, he’ll wake again around 4am and then at 6am. Sometimes he’ll go back to sleep again for another 30 mins or hour. I’m exclusively bf.

If you didn’t try and put him down to sleep during the day would he sleep for long?

Advertisement