Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I believe they don't (or can't) test for lactose allergies/intolerances until the child is over two.Seems to be standard.Talk to your doctor when being weighed again decmum.They usually go by the baby's behaviour and signs like weight/puking/blood in stools/excessive wind etc.Does he scream or cry a lot?Can be another indicator of discomfort due to that allergy.I know a good few kids with it.Most do seem to grow out of it by about age three.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

bee06 wrote: »
    Were you overdue by any chance? My fella is 10 weeks as well and has been super fussy all weekend as well. There is a leap around 12 weeks (based on due date) and he’s in the middle of it according to the Wonder Weeks app. He’s been chewing on his hands and drooling more as well.

Hi bee06 I was just wondering which “wonder weeks” so you use? I put it into the App Store and a few came up! Is there an app in particular you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 decmum

Hi all thanks for your replies, he has a bit of dry skin on the back of his head but other than that no other symptoms only the low weight gas and runny nappies, I will find out tomorrow when I pick up the prescription what formula he has put him on, hard to know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My nephew (in the UK) has skin allergies and Dr prescribed Aveeno soap/bath wash and creams for it - nice to get it free on NHS! Might be worth a try.
    Similarly we got a huge bottle of Oilatum bath additive and Hydromol cream prescribed (for free) with my older son. These days my husband uses the Hydromol when he's wrecked his face shaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

If the doctor says he is ok then id go with that. The Nurse was the same with us, and it would make you worry but then they are just covering their side really I think. So they must refer you... She is on the 2nd cent thingy..

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    If the doctor says he is ok then id go with that. The Nurse was the same with us, and it would make you worry but then they are just covering their side really I think. So they must refer you... She is on the 2nd cent thingy..
    Thanks, I will try it and see does he put on weight, I can always take him back off it if he doesn't, I see where the phn is coming from, if he gets sick he has no weight to lose, at the moment he is the same weight as an average 5 week old which when she put it like that is a bit frightening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Pocos wrote: »
    Hi bee06 I was just wondering which “wonder weeks” so you use? I put it into the App Store and a few came up! Is there an app in particular you would recommend?

It’s the first one that comes up when I do the search and costs 3.49. It has a yellow logo with a baby on it. I think the rest are supporting apps to this main one

If tis of any good to you decmum..

Herself was 8lb odd when born (22nd Dec) then on the
    11th of Jan she weighed 7.18lbs that was the first PHN visit and being breastfed only.. So started her on bottles and just BF 3 times a day, the next weigh in she was 2nd of Feb and she was 8lb 4 oz...
    The doctor didn't seem concerned then at vaccine time she was 9lb odd again and the nurse was concerned, at the 3 month check then March 8th she was 9.8lb and that's when we had to go to the doc again, so the following Mon she was 10.1lb and the doctor said he wasn't concerned just once she was alert and doing all the things she should be at this stage.. Which she was, was thinking of you last night it is so worrying when there is a concern and it drives you bonkers thinking what is wrong, it isn't easy.. So I understand your worry...

She was spewing up an awfull lot of the bottle lets say about 2 weeks ago, it was my sister said to go back to writing down the feeds and taken a guess at how much she spewed up, this kinda put our mind at ease a little as sometimes it was nearly 2oz.. Then I was thinking sure the times with the PHN she was due a feed and had not been feed since 7 so her belly was pretty empty.

Re the dribbles herself was like that too dribbling like mad a few weeks ago, so thanks New Farmers I ordered some of the funky giraffe bibs (very good value) and have used them this week and they are great I must say.

If tis of any good to you decmum..

Herself was 8lb odd when born (22nd Dec) then on the
    11th of Jan she weighed 7.18lbs that was the first PHN visit and being breastfed only.. So started her on bottles and just BF 3 times a day, the next weigh in she was 2nd of Feb and she was 8lb 4 oz...
    The doctor didn't seem concerned then at vaccine time she was 9lb odd again and the nurse was concerned, at the 3 month check then March 8th she was 9.8lb and that's when we had to go to the doc again, so the following Mon she was 10.1lb and the doctor said he wasn't concerned just once she was alert and doing all the things she should be at this stage.. Which she was, was thinking of you last night it is so worrying when there is a concern and it drives you bonkers thinking what is wrong, it isn't easy.. So I understand your worry...

She was spewing up an awfull lot of the bottle lets say about 2 weeks ago, it was my sister said to go back to writing down the feeds and taken a guess at how much she spewed up, this kinda put our mind at ease a little as sometimes it was nearly 2oz.. Then I was thinking sure the times with the PHN she was due a feed and had not been feed since 7 so her belly was pretty empty.

Re the dribbles herself was like that too dribbling like mad a few weeks ago, so thanks New Farmers I ordered some of the funky giraffe bibs (very good value) and have used them this week and they are great I must say.
    Thanks for that Milly33;106420781, I went in and got the prescription this morning and I gave him the first bottle about 1o clock, it smells disgusting like old potatoes, he is not gone on it either but I managed to get 5 and half oz into him, it's nutramigen 400g box and it's 19.70 a box!!, I'm going to try him with the box and see how he gets on, he has been asleep since

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

We've just changed to goats milk formula, our little boy was like that, come 6 or 7 in the evening he would whinge for more bottle and then fight with it, he'd take a small bit then cry, just repeats the same. He's def a bit better since starting the goats milk. I used fennel tea for a long time but he was sleeping between feeds so couldn't get it into him so he gets a bit of gripe water if I think he has wind. Goats milk is quite expensive too €15.99 for a 400g tin, luckily our local tesco started selling small tins, I can source the 900g tin from the UK for €20 a tin, cheapest I could get it over here was €28.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Try a few places for the Nutramigen, its around €12 in most chemists.

For the goats milk, see if you can find a Healthwise pharmacy nearly, they have them for €20 for 900g.

lashes34 wrote: »
    Try a few places for the Nutramigen, its around €12 in most chemists.

For the goats milk, see if you can find a Healthwise pharmacy nearly, they have them for €20 for 900g.

Really €20 for a 900g tin, I might actually give them a call, that's unreal, considering some health food shops are charging 35- 36 per 900g tin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Yep I got 2 tins yesterday in Ballinasloe. Oranmore have some in stock if you're nearby. Paid €14.50 the other day for 400g in Evergreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

For all those with exzema/rashes on their faces. I was at the doc last week and was told to use almond oil for 5 days and move to the OTC hydrocortosine if it hasnt cured

However after a full day of using the oil solidily he woke up the next morning anf his cheeks were worse than ever and his ears had this really harf crust around them.

I rang the doc and was told start using hydrocortosine and put on e45 regularly so next day there was a massive difference.

He has the little spots behind his ears there not gone yet. Hope that helps!

I must get the site someone gave me for the Nanny Care formula sorry this is it https://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/ if ye find it cheaper here ladies, I was thinking of putting herself on this when we started but kinda just went with SMA.. I did not realise how much it costs... I will price it in a local shop here too as I didn't think it was that much just incase tis any good to ye...

Id say bare with the skin donkey10 and don't do too much with it, as their skin is so new, herself has the same and flaky at the ears and that week two it has defo come along a lot but tis just the natural way... I'm sure twill cure itself

It’s the first one that comes up when I do the search and costs 3.49. It has a yellow logo with a baby on it. I think the rest are supporting apps to this main one

Thanks bee. Would you recommend the app??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Pocos wrote: »
    Thanks bee. Would you recommend the app??

It’s very interesting to see what developmental changes they go through and understanding what’s happening when he starts doing something new. However I’m a bit of a cynic when it comes to the timings of the leaps to be honest. I do notice that he’s cranky during those leap windows but I wonder am I just looking out for it more then. Overall, I would recommend it though purely for information sake. It doesn’t change the way I parent or anything.

I do know a few people with older babies who swear by it though and it’s been recommended on here a lot as well.

It’s very interesting to see what developmental changes they go through and understanding what’s happening when he starts doing something new. However I’m a bit of a cynic when it comes to the timings of the leaps to be honest. I do notice that he’s cranky during those leap windows but I wonder am I just looking out for it more then. Overall, I would recommend it though purely for information sake. It doesn’t change the way I parent or anything.

I do know a few people with older babies who swear by it though and it’s been recommended on here a lot as well.

Perfect thanks Bee! I’ll give it a go so! Sometimes herself is just not her usual form so maybe these wonder weeks will she some light on this :)

I must get the site someone gave me for the Nanny Care formula sorry this is it https://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/ if ye find it cheaper here ladies, I was thinking of putting herself on this when we started but kinda just went with SMA.. I did not realise how much it costs... I will price it in a local shop here too as I didn't think it was that much just incase tis any good to ye...

Id say bare with the skin donkey10 and don't do too much with it, as their skin is so new, herself has the same and flaky at the ears and that week two it has defo come along a lot but tis just the natural way... I'm sure twill cure itself

I saw that website a few weeks ago, I think for 6 tins it works out about 20 euro a tin delivered. Sam mccauleys was the cheapest I found up until hearing about Healthwise. Waiting to see if they'd deliver or else I'd get my brother to pick st up. It'd be a massive help at only €20 a tin! It's €15.99 for a 400g tin in tesco but it only lasts 3 days max!

Just wondering with all the talk about formulas how would u know if a baby was allergic to the usual formulas sma etc?

Woukd they be spuing a lot? Getting rashes?

• Advertisement

donkey10 wrote: »
    Just wondering with all the talk about formulas how would u know if a baby was allergic to the usual formulas sma etc?

Woukd they be spuing a lot? Getting rashes?

Hi, my little boy was drinking 6oz and not spewing any, he had runny nappies nearly every bottle (which I never took any notice of u tip the phn mentioned it)and a lot of farts, the big one with my lad was he wasn't putting on weight, he was 9lb 15 at 12 weeks he was 6lb 7oz born so the doctor reckons he is lactose intolerant, he is a day and a half on the new formula and I have to say he has had 3 nappies and they have been a lot firmer his other nappies went up his back and out through his clothes. I hope this helps.

Thats interesting now coz lately ive started noticing mucousy poos and he does seem to fart a lot. Im combination feeding him coz hes a very hungry baby and he would be latchin all day otherwise.
    Ive had no issue with his weight though up all gaining it nicely.
    Is the weight the key factor with that?

Decmum - Thats interesting now coz lately ive started noticing mucousy poos and he does seem to fart a lot. Im combination feeding him coz hes a very hungry baby and he would be latchin all day otherwise.

Decmum - Thats interesting now coz lately ive started noticing mucousy poos and he does seem to fart a lot. Im combination feeding him coz hes a very hungry baby and he would be latchin all day otherwise.
    I don't know to be honest, my lad is putting on weight but not at the rate he should, he fell from the 9th centile to the 1st centile so if he falls any lower or gets sick he could be in trouble as he has no weight to lose, and he was taking more bottles than he should for his size 6oz so the doctor and phn were baffled as to why he wasn't gaining at the rate he should and falling further down the centile, it was the weight that they were worried about

decmum wrote: »
    I don't know to be honest, my lad is putting on weight but not at the rate he should, he fell from the 9th centile to the 1st centile so if he falls any lower or gets sick he could be in trouble as he has no weight to lose, and he was taking more bottles than he should for his size 6oz so the doctor and phn were baffled as to why he wasn't gaining at the rate he should and falling further down the centile, it was the weight that they were worried about

Good to know and what type of formula is he on now?

Good to know and what type of formula is he on now?

He is now on nutramigen, it's on prescription it's a 400g box and costs 19.71, his prescription is for 10 a month, with the drugs scheme I can get it for 134 a month 😣 I might switch to aptamil lactose free or sma, I will see how he gets on, its smells like old potatoes and my lo is not mad about it, if the aptamil or sma does the same job and tastes better and half the price I might change

My lo was doing really well on the cow and gate, gaining weight, we were really surprised, then in the evening he got really fussy, couldn't settle, kept looking for more bottle but cried when it got into his mouth. After 8 hours being unsettled Saturday I decided to change him to goats milk formula, his dirty nappies were so wet, he flying it since yesterday, no crying or fussing and no need for gripe water. Even his dirty nappy is firmer.
    Our 2 year old went on goats milk when she was only 2 weeks old, she was only doing dirty nappies every 4 days or so. She's always had cows milk in some form since she started weaning and now drinks milk and no problems. Sometimes it's not an allergy as such but more finding it hard to break down the lactose

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

Our little guy is on Neocate. It’s €40 for a 400g tin!!!! We get it under the drug payment scheme so it’s cappd at €133 and he goes through about 12 tins a month.

He was on aptimal prior to this but I noticed over a period of 3 weeks him declining health wise. He broke out in a rash that was eczema like. It was everywhere on his face, back, chest, legs and arms. He would also go from constipated to having diarrhea. He was very congested and restless at night. He has very bad reflux too. He was horsing the bottles into him though but had started to scream in pain when we took the bottle away. Dr reckons he can’t break down the protein in the food and thought he was too young for goats milk.

Have to say he’s improved in the past week massively. Eczema is almost clear. Reflux has disappeared though we still use infant gaviscon in his bottle (the neocate is very very watery). His nappies have improved and have become more “regular”.

Think he’s teething at the minute, 2 big red cheeks and dribbling loads. I can see a tooth cutting in at the back too.

Ye have me worried about the poops now, just looking online and they say the green poops are normal.. Herself has toxic poops and farts, but the nurse has never mentioned anything... Fingers crossed she is ok. I was wondering the same with formula how would you know if it wasn't agreeing with them, a cousin said you would nearly figure it out. Was concerned the SMA was not agreeing with herself but then it was just change

• Advertisement

I suppose weight gain is key really. Isnt this forum great what would we do without the internet!!

My fella got his vaccines today he was sleeping going in and then he got the needles just roared but then was ok after and went back to sleep wil be watchin him like a hawk this eve and night

Advertisement