Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Bless him, he was good so! Isnt it heart wrenching seeing them get done when they are so small but tis all for their own good. Glad he is ok.. Too true some great advice on here would be lost without it, even just for a chat

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skullsocks

Hey all, how is everyone getting on sleep wise? Do you wake baby from day time naps to make them sleep longer at night I.e try and schedule them?

I am just letting lo sleep as and when he wants. He is ebf so his feeds aren't timed either but sitting here now with him fast asleep thinking should i wake him as he has been mostly sleeping for the day and barely slept last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I don’t wake my fella unless I have to pee (he’ll only sleep on me during the day). I find he sleeps better at night if he has slept well during the day. At night he always goes to sleep between 7.30 and 8.30 and up until about two weeks ago would wake between 12 and 1, 3 and 4 and then around 6. He sometimes would go back to sleep for an hour from 7 to 8 then. The last few weeks he’s been sleeping til 2 or 3, sometimes wouldn’t wake again until 6 but sometimes would wake again between 4 and 5.

I’m ebf as well and no routine in terms of daytime naps. I’m just going with the flow for now. Once he’s 3 months I’ll see if a better routine will work but I think he’s too young for now. The most important thing for me is feeding on demand. As long as he’s happy, I’m happy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

donkey10 wrote: »
    Decmum - Thats interesting now coz lately ive started noticing mucousy poos and he does seem to fart a lot. Im combination feeding him coz hes a very hungry baby and he would be latchin all day otherwise.
    Ive had no issue with his weight though up all gaining it nicely.
    Is the weight the key factor with that?

To be fair decmum, id check any change to formula with the GP first.BF tends to cause very runny poos, and bottle tends to be a good bit more solid, so the combo of the two might be resulting in what you see.Not that you're wrong I've combo fed myself but I wouldn't go for lactose free stuff unless Doc recommends it.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

God a lot of us are in feeding dilemma aren't we! My fella has just gotten worse. He's arching his back and crying and pushing the bottle away with tongue and hands after about 3oz. I can get more into him if I stand up and sway a bit feeding him, my back is broken at it. He projectile vomited on my yesterday evening for the first time, has been a little spewy over the past few weeks which he never was. I took him to Dr today, came out more confused. She says no way it's reflux, wouldn't develop it this old (11 wks) and he wouldn't cry like that with it - not my nephews experience, he's bawled in distress with it. Then she said the problem could be teething but he's too young, a sore throat, thrush that's not bad enough to treat, he's just going through a 'not hungry' phase, he's just intelligent and knows to push the bottle away, I'm trying to feed him too much (I'm just trying to feed him approx the 5oz he always takes for weeks now). I left with a headache.....and an instruction to give him some calpol, just feed him what he wants (he takes more when I distract him with the swaying so he is hungry for more than this discomfort is allowing in the initial drink), let him get really hungry to make sure hel take a feed and go to the hospital if I think we need to!

Brain is fried!

• Advertisement

How many weeks is he? Could it be that he was going through a leap or a growth spurt which ended and that’s why he’s taking less now?

bee06 wrote: »
    How many weeks is he? Could it be that he was going through a leap or a growth spurt which ended and that’s why he’s taking less now?

11 weeks + 2 overdue...Ya I thought about that but he does seem to be in pain or discomfort. Sonetines it starts from the start of the bottle other times after 3oz-ish. He had been on a steady 5oz per bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

My little boys dirty nappies were very loose! They're a good bit more solid since going on goats milk. God you'd hear poop from the other room on the cow and gate, it was so wet sounding. Come evening time he would cry, want bottle and cry again once he had it.
    I've started waking him during the day only bcos he's sleeping all night and I want to get at least 4 bottles into him during the day

Oh so how did everyone get on for the Long weekend!!! God we had a weekend of changes so we did, herself is defo on some growth spurt.. We were delighted that she wanted to go to bed early so was like yes 10pm last feed bed and half past, next feed at 7am.. All went well for two days, then we had change in sleeping patterns, change in poops, wanting more food.. I think today maybe we are sorted trying new things with the wind...

Had a ultra sound appointment too this morning for her bottom dimple and delighted that he said all was ok, tis closed yippee...

My fellas problems with the crying against the bottle last week settled come Friday. But now he's waking frequently at night and seems more hungry today too. He is still full of wind though, going to try the Comfort formula.
    You couldn't keep up with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Milly33 wrote: »
    Oh so how did everyone get on for the Long weekend!!! God we had a weekend of changes so we did, herself is defo on some growth spurt.. We were delighted that she wanted to go to bed early so was like yes 10pm last feed bed and half past, next feed at 7am.. All went well for two days, then we had change in sleeping patterns, change in poops, wanting more food.. I think today maybe we are sorted trying new things with the wind...

Had a ultra sound appointment too this morning for her bottom dimple and delighted that he said all was ok, tis closed yippee...

Milly 8.5 hours sleep is amazing! How old is your baby? Are you bottle feeding or feeding yourself? I’m breast feeding my little one and the longest stretch we have gotten is 7.5 hours! Just wondering when it will elongate again! She’s 11weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Does he take a dummy OSI? If so would you consider a few nights of popping in the dummy instead of giving him the bottle? Its funny how their little body clocks adjust and before ya know it, it'll be half hour then an hour longer of sleep!

Pocos wrote: »
    Milly 8.5 hours sleep is amazing! How old is your baby? Are you bottle feeding or feeding yourself? I’m breast feeding my little one and the longest stretch we have gotten is 7.5 hours! Just wondering when it will elongate again! She’s 11weeks

We are bottle feeding, started with breast feeding but just didn't have enough... She will be 3 months tomorrow...7.5 is really good for breast feeding ye must be delighted...

It was around the 10 - 11 week mark she started sleeping through. Like she will stir at around 4.30ish in the morning just for a grunt and a groan but she will go back to sleep then. We are blessed with her though she has been a gem from day one, mind I have to say she has her routines, we just went with her natural times and then followed a few ques from this Gina Ford..

So she feeds at 7am then naps till around 11.
    Feed then at 11.30 or 12.00 and she will go for a nap around 1 or 2 for an hour to hour and a half.
    Feed again at either 3.30 or 4 and she will go for another nap around 6 or 7.
    Feed again at 7.30 or 8 we try to keep her awake then until around 10 (made the mistake of given her a bath one time to keep her awake and well we wont be doing that again :) )
    Then she is down for 10.30 maybe falls asleep around 11ish and she is out...

Just got the call from the GP, yeah the dimple is just a dimple and has an end so we are delighted.. Next target is the big cot..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

OSI wrote: »
    He does, but he'll only take it if he wants it. He usually takes it while he's chilling before going to sleep but as soon as he starts dozing off he spits it out. Some nights we can get an extra half hour out of him with it, but others he's very insistent he gets fed :D

Yeah they can be very strong minded for such little people! You could try the little pot of camomile syrup if he spitting dummy. Our little lady loves it. It can be a bit messy at 4:30am when you slopping it round the place trying to dip the dummy but worth it for extra shut eye!

We are bottle feeding, started with breast feeding but just didn't have enough... She will be 3 months tomorrow...7.5 is really good for breast feeding ye must be delighted...

It was around the 10 - 11 week mark she started sleeping through. Like she will stir at around 4.30ish in the morning just for a grunt and a groan but she will go back to sleep then. We are blessed with her though she has been a gem from day one, mind I have to say she has her routines, we just went with her natural times and then followed a few ques from this Gina Ford..

So she feeds at 7am then naps till around 11.
    Feed then at 11.30 or 12.00 and she will go for a nap around 1 or 2 for an hour to hour and a half.
    Feed again at either 3.30 or 4 and she will go for another nap around 6 or 7.
    Feed again at 7.30 or 8 we try to keep her awake then until around 10 (made the mistake of given her a bath one time to keep her awake and well we wont be doing that again :) )
    Then she is down for 10.30 maybe falls asleep around 11ish and she is out...

Just got the call from the GP, yeah the dimple is just a dimple and has an end so we are delighted.. Next target is the big cot..

Thanks milly! Yes I know 7.5 hours is good for EBF but I just can’t get enough sleep! Also she doesn’t go down til 10/11 so we don’t get any child free time in the evening just yet!!

She’s 11 weeks and I’m not sure should I try and put in a routine or just go with the flow... her nighttime routine happened completely organically! So I don’t want to rock the boat!!!
    She sleeps from 10/11 till 5/6 then feed and down till 8/9!

Is anyone trying to implement routines? Any good books to follow?

Jes herself has found her voice and the babbling out of her is comical... Mind she has also found her scream and is throwing the odd tantrum which is getting very frustrating..

I'm all for the routines Pocos has had her on one from around 2 weeks, said it from day one that I wanted to have her on a routine and so far so good. I cannot see the sense of having the baby control (to a certain degree) every hour of the day..

Have to recommend the Gina Ford books "Contented baby". Now I don't follow it to the T but it has a lot of good information on it. Like the digestion period and how long a baby should stay awake for etc.. Tips on winding and how to deal with a lot of common problems..The book is mainly for breast feeding mothers but also goes through bottle feeding, she does it month by month. My sister used it on her two boys who were breastfeed and well it worked a charm for the first, the second took a little more...

Her suggestion for getting the baby down earlier was the gradually bring back the last feed at night (once they are sleeping through the night that is) by 5 or 10mins.. Stop if the baby starts to wake earlier, then they aren't ready but if it works then go with it. She also keeps saying that a 7am feed is the best, and never cut this feed out..

Pocos, I’ve seen a lot of people recommend Gentle Sleep in a breastfeeding group I’m in as well as in my Cuidiu group https://gentlesleepbook.com/

They also recommend the No Cry Sleep Solution. Both are based on attachment parenting methods.

I’m a total go with the flow, breastfeeding on demand Mom though at this early stage. I’d be wary of trying to get a routine down and then for the 4 month sleep regression to hit and to have to do it all again then after. https://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/4mo-sleep/

Thanks ladies for both your recommendations! So hard to know what’s best! We brought bed forward slightly there last night a day lo is after waking up 2 hours earlier than usual! Maybe she isn’t ready yet!

It’s so hard to know what’s best for the baby! Like we are so ruled
    By routine for so much of our lives! Once I’m back to work we will have to get s routine I’m just feel leave her be a baby and do her own thing! It’s only for such a short time... or am I doing her a disservice! Is routine the best for them?! Will have to think about it!

Great to get other people’s opinions though so thanks for the replies!

The best piece of advice though that I got from my mother in law is that you know your baby best so all the opinions of others should be taken with that in mind. What works for one baby doesn’t work for another. Follow your instinct and you can’t go far wrong.

bee06 wrote: »
    The best piece of advice though that I got from my mother in law is that you know your baby best so all the opinions of others should be taken with that in mind. What works for one baby doesn’t work for another. Follow your instinct and you can’t go far wrong.

Sounds like good piece of advice Bee06! I’ll definitely keep it in mind:)
    So so true too! Every baby is different

• Advertisement

I personally don't worry about routine just yet, he's sleeping all night since 6 weeks. Our situation is different, we're lambing at the moment so most of the time it might be a case of a bottle and then into the buggy to go out and check sheep again. My first girl was 6 months before she got a proper day time sleep routine, she's slept all night from 8 weeks, then once she went into her own cot in her own room she took 2x 2 hour sleeps during the day. But everyone is different, no right or wrong way I think. It can be very stressful not being sure what way to do things and worrying about how others are doing things

lashes34 wrote: »
    Yep I got 2 tins yesterday in Ballinasloe. Oranmore have some in stock if you're nearby. Paid €14.50 the other day for 400g in Evergreen.

Thanks lashes, I drove to Ballinasloe yesterday and got 3 tins, my brother will pick up some for me in oranmore during the week. It was gone up to €21.99 in Ballinasloe, it was only €19.99 when I rang sligo last week!

I personally don't worry about routine just yet, he's sleeping all night since 6 weeks. Our situation is different, we're lambing at the moment so most of the time it might be a case of a bottle and then into the buggy to go out and check sheep again. My first girl was 6 months before she got a proper day time sleep routine, she's slept all night from 8 weeks, then once she went into her own cot in her own room she took 2x 2 hour sleeps during the day. But everyone is different, no right or wrong way I think. It can be very stressful not being sure what way to do things and worrying about how others are doing things

Wow that’s great he’s sleeping through the night! What would you consider sleeping through the night? I’d be looking for 8/9pm till 7-8am to be sleeping through the night but most books would say 5 hours solid sleep is sleeping through the nights!

Oh it’s so stressful even deciding which is better?! Let them make their own routine or to try and implement one?!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Hi there. I sometimes look at this thread as a reminder of a year ago. My twins were December 2016. Wit regard to routines. I have found it good to have a routine to the family day. In our house it’s breakfat at 7 dinner at 6 and bedtime at seven. But the babies naps were something you can’t force especially with two. They will fall into a rhythm and it will evolve. You should be getting three regular naps shortly and then it will naturally move to two and eventually one in about a years time. I found it easiest to follow their lead.

Have to recommend the Gina Ford books "Contented baby". Now I don't follow it to the T but it has a lot of good information on it. Like the digestion period..

What does she say about the digestion period Milly out of interest?

What does she say about the digestion period Milly out of interest?

She just talks about how long it takes to digest breast milk and formula, and then how to plan your feeding time around that..Just basic stuff but she says it nicely and plain and simple...

Sorry I ans a bit quick last night was taken advantage of a quite house.. Ohh we got our first proper giggle today it was so sweet.. A big chortle!!

Digestion advice was that it takes what 2.1/2 hours for breast milk and 3 for formula (might be out there as I cannot find it in the book now) then advice on how long the baby should be able to stay awake for after. This all lend a hand to setting out a feeding pattern and nap times

Sorry I ans a bit quick last night was taken advantage of a quite house.. Ohh we got our first proper giggle today it was so sweet.. A big chortle!!

Digestion advice was that it takes what 2.1/2 hours for breast milk and 3 for formula (might be out there as I cannot find it in the book now) then advice on how long the baby should be able to stay awake for after. This all lend a hand to setting out a feeding pattern and nap times

Thanks Milly, was just curious if she said anything different, had read that before alright.
    It's lovely when you get the laughs out of them, especially on the more challenging days, keeps ya going.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You should be able to put a wedge into the buggy seat and lie it quite flat. See what he's like if you use the seat unit in a fully reclined position and judge from there. I didn't bother with the bassinet for our double, our small lad is fine in the seat fully reclined and using a newborn support.

• Advertisement

Have had herself in the main buggy part from the get go, we have a bassinet but only used it when she was sleeping. Once the buggy part lies flat you are grand...I never understood why the maxi cozy part is used instead of using the buggy part... Having a scatty week with herself and sleep first big trip away and the sleep patterns while good still went out the window a bit, tis hard getting her back into her evening nap

Advertisement