Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

So my little has started rolling onto his side, front to back. Hasn’t managed a full rollover yet but I was thinking what if he does this in bed and ends up on his front unknown to us? I’m not sure he has the full space in his crib (Chico Next to Me) but he can be quite the wriggler sometimes... He’s 14 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah I am sure he will be grand you could always use a wedge if you were worried.. Herself started it a few weeks ago too she is as and always rolls to the left never the right, she hasn't gone full way yet unless she is doing tummy time she can manage to flip herself back..

Gone mad for her feet aswell, she loves to chat to them and reach for them..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Could use a grobag if you want, justwhatithink.Restricts them a bit.
    To be honest, it's part of development, it's just what they do.Just make sure blankets are well down and under their armpits, and check them if you are passing by during the night.

Any recommendations on highchairs! Herself is sitting up for a good few weeks now and she loves to sit up and be up high, so think tis time.. Thought I had a great one in argos but well the less said the better

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ikea antilop. Cheap as chips, supportive. And they deliver. Get the insert as well for the first few months using it.

• Advertisement

I did see these but was hoping for one that you could put away easily, can you take the legs of it handy enough if you were travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes they come off in a jiffy and the tray detached

mmm I shall think about it, don't think it would suit for herself yet but perhaps for the future. Was hoping to get one from well they say 4 months on.. She sits up herself now but she isn't strong strong so might need a bit extra support

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Milly33 wrote: »
    mmm I shall think about it, don't think it would suit for herself yet but perhaps for the future. Was hoping to get one from well they say 4 months on.. She sits up herself now but she isn't strong strong so might need a bit extra support

We got the stokke trip trap which you buy for about €180 but then there’s another part for newborns plus! Our little one is in it from birth and loves it! As you said being up high and looking around! It’s pricey but grows with the child so there’s another part for toddler etc! Once they are out of high chairs it can be used for little ones 4/5/6 Year olds) to sit at the table and be high up!

We love ours anyway and gives a great break when in the kitchen making dinner emptying dishwasher etc! She loves watching us do jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Hope everyone and their babies are doing well. Our girl is 17 weeks today so can technically start her on solids. The PHN recommended we start her around 20 weeks because of reflux. Anyone started yet? Aldi baby event is back Thursday too FYI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Hey everyone hope all is well our little man is flying he's in 6-9 clothes already as his legs are bursting out of all others started him on solids just the sunshine orange yesterday he is taking to it slowly but surely he will be 17 weeks on thursday but the phn said he would be good to go whenever we felt also got a bouncer in smyths which he is loving having them up looking around is all he wants now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Won’t be starting solids here until 26 weeks as he’s breastfed. Can’t decide if I’m going to do BLW or purées etc. Maybe a bit of both.

Great to see all the updates!!! God it is so hard keeping up with all the changes I find. well not hard but there is something new all the time.. What is BLW bee06!! Waiting for the 4 month mark to start herself on the solids but id say myself she is good to go, she follows me when I am eating as in watching me put it on the fork and to the mouth and she is that little bit hungier.. Got a box of the SMA baby rice going to start her on that and then on purees or very soft veg..

I just cant fathom paying that much for the trip traps Pocos, really annoying the one is Argos we wanted has dropped price again but the feckers just give you another high chair instead of the one they have on offer.. So thinking now maybe of a Mamas and Pappas one in Smyths...

We are getting great wear out of all the baby clothes herself is still in the 0 -3 mth bracket clothes she is so slight, had her at the nurse last week and she is 10lb 9oz so very small still but very alert which is great so she isn't worried about her.. Having fun with the routines at the moment while she is still in one she is going to bed much earlier now, started the end of last week going at 8 and then by the weekend tis 7.30 but napping less then during the day so kinda win win...

It’s baby led weaning Milly. Basically you skip purees and spoonfeeding and start with finger food and let them feed themselves. It should only be done from 6 month onwards though as there are a few developmental things the baby has to have like being able to sit up by themselves (can’t remember the other ones at the moment).

https://www.sarahremmer.com/top-tips-for-baby-led-weaning/

Ah I see what you mean, that's the route I would kinda be thinking of going. Herself seems so interested in food. I have to say now I have given her a little taste of a biscuit and fine it was gluten free, but toffee popcorn. There are so many rules which I understand especially the gluten aspect but sometimes you just want to go with what you child is looking for.. Child that is the first time I think I have said that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

Our little lad is attempting to sit up but hasn't mastered it yet. He'll be 4 months tomorrow. He seems to be teething. Today was a very tough day he spent most of it crying and eating his hands and anything else I'd put near him. I tried putting Dentanox gel on his teeth, teetha granules and eventually caved and tried calpol but nothing gave relief for longer than an hour. PHN was adamant he wasn't to get bonjela teething gel until after he turns 4 months so gonna try it over the weekend.

Our little lad is attempting to sit up but hasn't mastered it yet. He'll be 4 months tomorrow. He seems to be teething. Today was a very tough day he spent most of it crying and eating his hands and anything else I'd put near him. I tried putting Dentanox gel on his teeth, teetha granules and eventually caved and tried calpol but nothing gave relief for longer than an hour. PHN was adamant he wasn't to get bonjela teething gel until after he turns 4 months so gonna try it over the weekend.

Calgel is supposed to be really good as well but you have to order it from the UK. Amazon have it.

Did your PHN say why she disagreed with the 2 months guideline for Bonjela?

I must try the Calgel, my sister in law got us the dentanox up the north but you reapply it every 20 mins according to the back so the relief doesn't last long.

The Bonjela she had was from 4 months on. It says it on the packet, there may be another one thats from 2 months but i couldn't see it locally. I'll have another look tomorrow. He isn't even close to cutting a tooth she said but he was dribbling loads when he was there and eating his hands so she said it was teething. He seems more irritable the past few days and has diarrhea now to. It's gonna be a long night =/

I must try the Calgel, my sister in law got us the dentanox up the north but you reapply it every 20 mins according to the back so the relief doesn't last long.

The Bonjela she had was from 4 months on. It says it on the packet, there may be another one thats from 2 months but i couldn't see it locally. I'll have another look tomorrow. He isn't even close to cutting a tooth she said but he was dribbling loads when he was there and eating his hands so she said it was teething. He seems more irritable the past few days and has diarrhea now to. It's gonna be a long night =/

Ah, I didn’t realise there were so many types. I’ve seem the one for 2 month and up and 3 months and up.

The poor fella, my little boy is the same with the dribbling and eating his hands but the rest hasn’t hit yet so I think it’s more of a developmental thing rather than teething at the moment. I’m dreading it! A lot of people recommend amber beads (on the ankle under the baby gro) but haven’t tried it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Does anybody else have a baby with s small appetite?

We average around 25ozs a day and he’ll be 4 months at the end of. R month. My mother is saying if he’s happy, sleeping great, has wet and dirty nappies and is gaining weight then we shouldn’t worry. My husband is tormented by reading r side of the formula box and saying he should be taking 35 ounces. I’m caught somewhere in the middle!

He weighed nearly 15 pounds at his 3 month checkup so I know he’s gaining, and he’s generally a very happy baby,unless we’re trying to feed him. Some feeds are grand, he guzzles the bottles, others are more of s battle, but I think we might be trying to get him to feed when he just isn’t hungry

We’ve tried changing bottles and teats, but have stuck with the cow and gate first infant formula

Sorry for the long rambling post, just wondering if anybody else has had similar experience. Need my husband to stop counting every ounce, it’s driving me mad!

• Advertisement

The teething, I think herself is the same she was very annoyed at something today, her cheeks have been rosie red too the last two days.. She isn't too bad but after trying everything to get her to chill, I thought she was very hot so said I would try the calpol.. Seemed to do the trick... Mad changes again the last two weeks

She started to go to bed earlier and I was finding it hard to fit in the last feed, so just tried a few different things and although tis a bit soon after her last feed we just feed her right before she goes down at 8.. Her feed before is 6 but when we woke her up to feed any later well it didn't go down to well :)..

She didn't have a huge appetite well according to the back of the tin either figrolls and we just went with it, when I felt she was looking for more then I gave it to her.

She is 2 weeks off the 4 month mark now and she is on the 5 6oz bottles, mind at her last weigh in last week she is just 10ld 9.. She is isn't putting on huge amounts of weight but the nurse is happy with her as she is so alert. So id say once ye are happy with his progress then go with it.. He wont take the bottle unless he wants it, well that's what I found with herself.. There might have only been about a week of a difference between not wanting more and wanting it so they change all the time.. For the last two feeds as they are kinda close, I give her a 5oz bottle at 6 and then she has 7oz going to bed around 7.45/8 seems to keep her happy.. I hear you with the men too they are just trying to help but sometimes you would love to just have them believe you without second guessing

Feed - fed sorry for the spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Teething gel in Ireland is total cack, I always made sure I had a good stash when my older son was teething and we were coming back. If you have any UK based friends get them to send you some!

Our little man averages 25 - 33oz a day depending on the day. PHN said to up him to 7oz at each feed but i find now its hit and miss what he takes. He took 3oz at 2 feeds yesterday, 5oz at another and then 7oz at 2 other feeds. I think I might go back to giving him the 6oz at every feed. He doesnt go longer than 6 hours between feeds at night anyway. I find he settles in his own bed for 1-2 hours and then wakes up crying and gets it hard to resettle.

Why did she say increase his feed? Just cause he’s older or heavier or does she want him putting on more weight....?

We’ve had a lot of upheaval the past few weeks with irregularity in his feeding volumes etc but he’s being treated for silent reflux now so it’s settled again somewhat, though wind can get in the way sometimes. Anyhow, two different PHN and an Osteopath I saw all said follow his lead and let him tell you when he’s had enough or wants more. I’d think your feeding pattern of 6oz per regular feed makes more sense as long as he’s satisfied and his weight is doing ok. He’s 16 weeks and in 91st percentile for weight and length but still only taking 5/6oz per feed, no interest in 7oz yet.

We’ve got sleep problems now too, waking every two hours. Sleep regression, teething, habit, uncomfortable...? Trying to figure it out but think there’s an element of all the above at play! The joys.

We’ve got sleep problems now too, waking every two hours. Sleep regression, teething, habit, uncomfortable...? Trying to figure it out but think there’s an element of all the above at play! The joys.

Same here, went from waking once a night to every 2 hours, sometimes more often. I’d add in 4 month growth spurt to the list as well so feeding more. He’s like a newborn again and I’m finding it tough to adjust back to lack of sleep. He’s grown out of his co-sleeper as well which I think is contributing so I’ve ordered a cot to turn into a bigger cosleeper.

I think tis just changes, herself was like that too for around three days.. I swear by writing it all down so you can see their patterns .. She is in the big cot now sleeping by herself, we spent the first week in the same room as her, and then we went and left her sleep by herself.. She was flying it and then for around three days she started to stir at night, nothing major but you'd have to get up and settle her.. I find going in to change her at around 12 or when she starts to stir and then quiet.. Sleep patterns have changed so much too, napping less around the 1.00 and then goes for an hour nap and then that's it until bedtime.. Tis great but kinda miss the long nap at lunchtime.

I think he’s growing out of his crib too (he’s moving all night in his crib at the moment in his sleep) but we can’t fit a cot in our room...I’m not sure I’m ready to move him out in his own (I also have yet to buy a cot for him!).

Bee are you feeding at every wake? We’ve been resettling and only feeding at one wake round 4am but last night was much better night with just two wakes and we fed him at the first one rather than waiting till 4am. He was also chewing like mad yesterday so I massaged his gums with some gel before bed and gave him some calpol so maybe that helped. It’s exhausting alright feeling like yer going backwards!

I think he’s growing out of his crib too (he’s moving all night in his crib at the moment in his sleep) but we can’t fit a cot in our room...I’m not sure I’m ready to move him out in his own (I also have yet to buy a cot for him!).

Bee are you feeding at every wake? We’ve been resettling and only feeding at one wake round 4am but last night was much better night with just two wakes and we fed him at the first one rather than waiting till 4am. He was also chewing like mad yesterday so I massaged his gums with some gel before bed and gave him some calpol so maybe that helped. It’s exhausting alright feeling like yer going backwards!

This is what I’ll be doing. Not sure if the Ikea cot is smaller than a normal one but it’s only 49 Euro. I wouldn’t be comfortable moving him out of our room before 6 months as room sharing for the first 6 months reduces SIDs risk.

Yeah, I always feed him to sleep for every nap and at night. He will fall asleep for my husband if he walks around with him but no way I’m doing that at night! Much quicker to feed to sleep. He always feeds as well so I know he’s not waking for comfort. It won’t last forever, I just keep reminding myself that soon enough he’ll be too cool for Mom hugs so I better make the most of it now!

• Advertisement

The ikea cots are fairly small just incase

Advertisement