Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Pocos wrote: »
    I was advised the same as Bee breast fed are fine until 6 months! I’ve read on the internet (so no idea if it’s true) that recently people are giving babies food too soon and their kidneys can’t process it!! So not too try too soon but I really don’t know!

I’m EBF at the moment so I plan on waiting till at least 5.5 months if not 6 months! But if baby seems to need more ill start earlier!

Also heard food up to a year is only for fun, just to get them used to eating! All their nutrients will still mainly come from the bottle or breast!

Yeah, I heard that their digestive systems were too immature. I’ll be waiting until 6 months. I’m booking in for a weaning course in a few weeks as well to get more info.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd hold off til minimum 20 weeks, as much because they are not that steady at holding their heads up by then, as anything else.Definitely not before 17 weeks, their system isn't mature enough.Their nutrition is all from milk for the first year, so if there are days where they aren't mad about eating just get plenty of milk (formula/BF) in and they will be just fine.

If you can hold them off til 24 weeks then well and good, but my pair wouldn't have lasted that long :-), particularly no.2, she would have grabbed the spoon from us!!

Ice cube trays are a nice idea but you are actually better to just go straight for small tubs first off, and only fill them with a small amount, because you will have to get them within a couple of weeks or so anyway.Also you will use the pots for months whereas the ice cube trays will only do for a couple of weeks really.(unless you are a big drinker :-) )Tesco do loads of little pots that are great, or Clevamama if you want to spend a wee bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

All the rules and regs again... Does it get annoying to anyone else (not in a smart way now) that we are constantly being told what to do, just interested...

Very good idea shesty, was hoping to get some glass freezer containers (safe the enviro and all that).. I think they say to freeze in the cubes and then pop into a bigger container... Gave herself the apple there and first she was like mmm but after the tis a no I think and I thought Apple would be a winner..
    Bless called it too soon poor mite was unsettled all night, gave her a last dose of calpol at 12 and at around 5.30 the fever had hit. She was boiling so tired this morning.. First marks on her legs too (she didn't have these the last time)..

Milly33 wrote: »
    All the rules and regs again... Does it get annoying to anyone else (not in a smart way now) that we are constantly being told what to do, just interested...

If there is scientific evidence to back up the guidelines then no. I would see it the same as seeing a bottle of Calpol with 2 months and up on it. I’m not going to give it to a 1 month old since research says it’s not the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

I love rules and regs :-0. I like to be told (or preferably shown) how to do things right and I’ll just do it. But the inconsistency in the ‘rules & regs’ or sheer spectrum of ‘experts’ and advice out there, even from one PHN to the next, is what drives me mad.
    My PHNs are really ‘enthusiastic’ for me to start him on baby rice at 17 weeks (this Friday) but my gut tells me wait a while especially since he’s had the bit of reflux, I want to give his system a chance to develop a bit more. But he is watching us every time we eat, watching our hands up and down from plates to our mouths, but that might just be him being nosey.

• Advertisement

You’re spot on about the inconsistency actually. It’s ridiculous that different PHN’s and GP’s give different advice and I can understand then why people may think that the rules and regs are just rubbish.

I do think it’s important to trust your instinct as well if you think he’s not ready. You can’t do him any harm by waiting another few weeks. Milk/formula is giving him everything he needs anyway.

On the watching while eating my little boy has been doing that since he was about 2 months. He’s a noisy little boy! In a Facebook group I’m in someone explained why that shouldn’t be used as the only sign of being ready for solids by saying babies like playing with car keys too but that doesn’t mean you’d let them drive the car. I though it was a pretty funny way to explain it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

All the rules and regs again... Does it get annoying to anyone else (not in a smart way now) that we are constantly being told what to do, just interested....

No, coz what you will realise in 6+ months is that this is the ONLY part with rules and regs, and after about 12 months....you are on your own!!!!This is the easy bit!! X ml. of milk a day, naps every X hours, how to introduce solids bit by bit etc.Get to 20 mths or so, and they suddenly only sleep one 30 min nap in a day despite being catatonic with tiredness, take a bizarre refusal to food they had previously liked, and develop an irrational hatred of other people handling their toys.....there are no rules for that stuff, you are on your own figuring it out!!!!!!Working full time and trying to figure out wtf to feed a crabby 2 year old for tea every evening, that is in some way nutritious and that they might actually eat, and doesn't result in them having a total of 6 yoghurts and a load of white bread over the course of every day ..... there are no rule books for that, it's all on you :-)
    Of course the other thing to remember is that I am saying things based on experience of two kids, and having made all (well, ok, a lot) of the mistakes already too.....nothing like experience as a teacher when it comes to childrearing, and yet, every child is still different.I have no clue what my (imminent) third baby will turn out like or what challenges they will bring, but I do know the first six months are in general terms more straightforward in a way than the ensuing toddler/threenager years!

AH I agree with scientific fact ete but like that sometimes you feel you just want to go with your gut, or because this is proven to work doesn't mean it works for everyone.. But just because it worked for 3 out of 4 if you catch my drift.. And the inconstancy of it all as what you say justwhatithink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I love rules and regs :-0. I like to be told (or preferably shown) how to do things right and I’ll just do it. But the inconsistency in the ‘rules & regs’ or sheer spectrum of ‘experts’ and advice out there, even from one PHN to the next, is what drives me mad.
    My PHNs are really ‘enthusiastic’ for me to start him on baby rice at 17 weeks (this Friday) but my gut tells me wait a while especially since he’s had the bit of reflux, I want to give his system a chance to develop a bit more. But he is watching us every time we eat, watching our hands up and down from plates to our mouths, but that might just be him being nosey.

justwhatIthink, just popping in to say my first had reflux. My doctors advice was try the purées (I went with individual homemade fruit/veg) at 4 months and it would either work or make it worse. In our case it helped so we kept going and switched to large BLW when he was closer to six months

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

The PHN said to me the guideline was not before 4months and no later than 6months.. Then from other bits and bobs they say when they aren't as satisfied with the bottles anymore then it is time, or when they start paying more attention to you eating.. Hard again but id say if you think they are ready after the 4 month guideline then go for it.. All the bits and pieces I have read kinda say if they aren't ready then they wont take the food, so tis a bit of sure give it a go and if it works it works...

Herself has been really interested in us eating and would be drooling looking at you for the last 2-3 weeks so said feck it wed try her..

Made the first purees tonight, lovely apple tried carrot but me thinks I lost patience waiting for it to cook more and made it too runny but sure twill do for the first week..
    Back to work great stuff it will be nice to get back I am sure and wont be long coming about

Do you reheat what you have made in the microwave or can you do that?

• Advertisement

They say not to reheat in the microwave incase it is heated unevenly, I put in a little of the hot milk from the bottle in the baby rice and for the puree I just popped it in the bowl of hot water to heat it up.. She took the rice and carrot mix today heated not a bother she loved it but wasn't too made on the apple which wasn't heated.. so fussy haha

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

They say not to reheat in the microwave incase it is heated unevenly, I put in a little of the hot milk from the bottle in the baby rice and for the puree I just popped it in the bowl of hot water to heat it up.. She took the rice and carrot mix today heated not a bother she loved it but wasn't too made on the apple which wasn't heated.. so fussy haha

Thats great! It mist be great tryin out new foods. All trial and error ! Must start shoppin for a good high feeding chair

Was looking around for ages and got really annoyed at Argos as thought we had a bargain there on an Mimzy chair but sure they just give you a different one... Ended up getting a Mammia highchair 2nd hand and I must say tis quite sturdy, seems to have everything too you can lower the seat on the frame, tilt the chair it has a 5 point harness.. Quite impressive little yokes not sure how much they are new but got ours for €30 second hand..

For anyone else up for the 4month vaccines too their poor legs where they get the shot goes a little red, id say tis like a mini bruise to them her face when you touch of it, a look of shock and pain.. Pooped a lot also yesterday and she is sleeping that little bit extra too this morning that's after going back to bed at 7.. Was going to wake her there and just thought oh if you were feeling ****ty wouldn't you like to lie in for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

lashes34 wrote: »
    My girl has improved massively thanks to Lucy Wolfes book. She slept last night 2110 til 0745!

Hi lashes

How old is your LO? I got that book but kinda felt she was only dealing with babies over the 6 month mark so I haven’t read it fully!

What have you done differently that has made such a dramatic change??

Shes 18 weeks now but I started using the tips around 15 weeks and it helped massively. Before I was letting her lead with regards sleep but I now know she needs to be put to sleep, shes not one to just sleep when shes tired. Used to feed to sleep a lot or she'd sleep when out on walks etc. Wouldn't sleep in her crib under any circumstances and stopped sleeping in her moses basket downstairs months ago.

Now she gets 4 naps, 3 of them are usually in her cot upstairs and one while I go for a walk. Its a stay and support system, it was to train me as to what to do as I hadn't a clue. My nephews would just go to sleep when tired and thats all I knew. Its a gradual approach, first few days I stayed with her until she fell asleep. Rubbed her belly, talked quietly to her. Then gradually pulled back on the interaction. Now she still sometimes needs help but a few naps a day I can just put her in and she'll fight it a minute or twp but generally falls asleep pretty quick.

She does have suggested timetables based on age. Im still going by the 2-4 month one mainly because shes not great at taking bottles so dont want to put her put to 4 hour feeds yet so she gets up at 730, gets her reflux meds at 740 then bottles at 8,11,2,5&8. Bed around 9/915.

I thought it was just for over 6 months too but said I would get it to be prepared but from the first day trying the techniques it has worked for us. Took about 2 weeks for her to sleep through the night fully but she of the last 10 nights she has only woken for more than a couple of minutes 2 or 3 nights. Otherwise sleeps about 10 hours.

Never thought Id be able to say that as at the worst of it she was waking every 20 minutes some nights. Getting her napping properly during the day makes a world of difference to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

Shes 18 weeks now but I started using the tips around 15 weeks and it helped massively. Before I was letting her lead with regards sleep but I now know she needs to be put to sleep, shes not one to just sleep when shes tired. Used to feed to sleep a lot or she'd sleep when out on walks etc. Wouldn't sleep in her crib under any circumstances and stopped sleeping in her moses basket downstairs months ago.

Now she gets 4 naps, 3 of them are usually in her cot upstairs and one while I go for a walk. Its a stay and support system, it was to train me as to what to do as I hadn't a clue. My nephews would just go to sleep when tired and thats all I knew. Its a gradual approach, first few days I stayed with her until she fell asleep. Rubbed her belly, talked quietly to her. Then gradually pulled back on the interaction. Now she still sometimes needs help but a few naps a day I can just put her in and she'll fight it a minute or twp but generally falls asleep pretty quick.

She does have suggested timetables based on age. Im still going by the 2-4 month one mainly because shes not great at taking bottles so dont want to put her put to 4 hour feeds yet so she gets up at 730, gets her reflux meds at 740 then bottles at 8,11,2,5&8. Bed around 9/915.

I thought it was just for over 6 months too but said I would get it to be prepared but from the first day trying the techniques it has worked for us. Took about 2 weeks for her to sleep through the night fully but she of the last 10 nights she has only woken for more than a couple of minutes 2 or 3 nights. Otherwise sleeps about 10 hours.

Never thought Id be able to say that as at the worst of it she was waking every 20 minutes some nights. Getting her napping properly during the day makes a world of difference to her.

That sounds great Lashes, well done.
    We’re on reflux meds too and have feeding challenges at times also, no inclination to take bigger bottles either so I think we’d have similar circumstances. Can I ask does she sleep then for long for her naps during the day? I can get my fella down (in the crib) a few times a day but sleeping more than 45min-1hr is the challenge cause he wakes up and I can’t get him back to sleep. Also does it mean you find you only get out of the house when you’re doing your walk? I find it hard to figure out how I’d nap him and then get out of the house without him falling asleep again in the car and messing up the whole routine.

Naps are between 30 and 90 minutes. Sometimes she'll sleep 1.5 hours and I'll have to wake for the next bottle. The last nap is usually 30 minutes, just a little catnap before last feed and bed.

For the first few weeks I stayed home as much as I could to get her used to the schedule. Now I go out more often and she'll nap in the car or the buggy.

Another pre warning, I am just after googling it so tis fine.. But gave herself banana today and when poop time came there were all these black lines in the poo looks like small little worms... Really odd but sure two and two together twas the banana

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Thanks lashes for your advice! I think I might start that approach! My little one won’t go down to the cot but will happily go into her bassinet and drift off! Must start with the cot this week!

Read again the approach in the book! Thanks for answering my questions! :)

The weaning is going great herself loves the food.. Just gave her apple and pear and it went down great no stopping her..

If there is any crafty people out there too, was a bit sad after going looking for a few new toys for her recently and then going into a second hand store and seeing all the toys. We have so much waste, and stuff that you buy that just gets used once of twice..

So looked up toys to make online. Made one of these string boxes https://theimaginationtree.com/4-diy-baby-and-toddler-toys-for-motor/. They are great you can just see her trying to figure it out...

Found this one too for the next project https://theimaginationtree.com/4-diy-baby-and-toddler-toys-for-motor/

Oh the poor child, before twas the dog I used to make random toys for

Hello ladies,

Just looking for some advice! My husband, little one and I are off to costa del sol for ten nights end of May! Baby will be 20 weeks and I won’t have started solids, she is EBF. So from a feeding perspective there isn’t anything I need to bring..

Does anyone have any advice on bringing small babies abroad? I’m not sure are we mad but I can’t wait to get 10 days of sunshine and for my husband to be off and helping me mind baby for ten full days! That’s the best part :)

Thanks in advance all advice greatly appreciated

• Advertisement

Sounds amazing Pocos! Feed during takeoff and landing, get to the airport early so you're not stressing and rushing. Dublin airport have a family lane so can be quicker going through there at security. Some airlines let people with kids on first, flybe definitely do.

Bring a backpack rather than the traditional shoulder changing bag so you have your arms free. I put a change of clothes and everything for a nappy change in the pocket at the front so no need to root around if u have a need to change clothes. Few rattles, toys to keep them occupied.

Good luck!

Sounds amazing Pocos! Feed during takeoff and landing, get to the airport early so you're not stressing and rushing. Dublin airport have a family lane so can be quicker going through there at security. Some airlines let people with kids on first, flybe definitely do.

Bring a backpack rather than the traditional shoulder changing bag so you have your arms free. I put a change of clothes and everything for a nappy change in the pocket at the front so no need to root around if u have a need to change clothes. Few rattles, toys to keep them occupied.

Good luck!

Thanks lashes for replying all sounds like great advice! I had heard of the feeding during landing and taking off!

I’m sure I’ll make tons of mistakes but I hope to learn for future trips! I can’t wait for some sunshine :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Our daughter is now 4 and a half months. 7/8 hour night sleeps since day 1. I am lapping up every minute because it'll probably change. Sitting up and rolling over. No issues with illness and vaccines were grand. She's a very happy baby, always smiling and laughing even with strangers. She's discovered her voice in recent days so she's doing a bit of squealing :)

We haven't started the solids yet as she's not completely sitting up, and she's not been fussy on the bottle yet either.

Is'nt the time flying! Great that she is doing so well and lovely to hear she is so happy.. The smiles and the giggles are the best!!!

Herself is the same with the voice and having mad chats with her toys. I thought she was upset the last day but tisnt she is like you say squealing at her toys, and also the last few days she seems to have discovered she can move her tongue more, she is sticking it out kinda twisting it..

Tried her on peas today and well they didn't go down well at the start, himself reminded me of something we read about babies being wary of green foods for some reason. So gave her the bottle first and then tried again with the pea, but showed her the spoon and then I ate some and then she took it. Very weird not sure if tis an old wives tale or not I must go look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

Our little guy is 5 months next week and I’m thinking of starting him on solids. He’s only going 3 hours between feeds during the day and taking 6-7oz each feed. We can stretch him at night from about 11pm -6am but he does wake a lot eating his hands. We can push him out using the soother but obviously it has an impact on sleep for him and us.

We started sleep training him and the past 2 nights he wall has went down without us beside him which is brilliant. Finally starting to see a bit of a routine forming.

Hello ladies,

Just looking for some advice! My husband, little one and I are off to costa del sol for ten nights end of May! Baby will be 20 weeks and I won’t have started solids, she is EBF. So from a feeding perspective there isn’t anything I need to bring..

Does anyone have any advice on bringing small babies abroad? I’m not sure are we mad but I can’t wait to get 10 days of sunshine and for my husband to be off and helping me mind baby for ten full days! That’s the best part :)

Thanks in advance all advice greatly appreciated

A tip a lady gave to us recently too was if you have to bring the car seat for the baby just pop it into the buggy when boarding (even as such if it doesn't fit into the buggy once tisnt a huge one) you get away with it. And also for really warm hotel rooms or just for lets say a dark room that often the bathroom is the best place for the baby to sleep. Sounds bad at the start but then when you think they are the darkest rooms and normally the coolest.. Was going to take herself on holidays next week only to the UK but have gone against it as tis only a short break

Hi ladies,

I think my LO is going through that 4 month regression!!! :( we had 14 nights of full nights sleeps it was heaven! I was like yes we have cracked this.. now the past 5 nights the middle of the night wakings have begun again! I mean middle middle talking 2am ish!! :(

Had vaccinations and it’s been all down hill from there! Anyone else experience anything like this???

A tip a lady gave to us recently too was if you have to bring the car seat for the baby just pop it into the buggy when boarding (even as such if it doesn't fit into the buggy once tisnt a huge one) you get away with it. And also for really warm hotel rooms or just for lets say a dark room that often the bathroom is the best place for the baby to sleep. Sounds bad at the start but then when you think they are the darkest rooms and normally the coolest.. Was going to take herself on holidays next week only to the UK but have gone against it as tis only a short break

Thanks milly for the advice! Yes the bathroom sounds like good advice! Weird sounding but you are right the bathroom is usually the darkest and coolest room in a hotel!

Luckily we don’t need a car seat but a good tip to know for the future!

Hi ladies,

I think my LO is going through that 4 month regression!!! :( we had 14 nights of full nights sleeps it was heaven! I was like yes we have cracked this.. now the past 5 nights the middle of the night wakings have begun again! I mean middle middle talking 2am ish!! :(

Had vaccinations and it’s been all down hill from there! Anyone else experience anything like this???

Yep, a month of waking every 2 hours or more often! The last few days have improved though so it does end.

• Advertisement

Pocos it's probably one of the worst sleep regressions of all but if you can crack it, you actually set them up to have good habits and make any further ones a wee bit easier!!it does end, promise!

Advertisement