Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

With my little fella it was the opposite. He got his vaccinations last week (@4.5 months) and that was the first night of better sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

We went through 5 weeks of constant waking but the last 2 weeks shes sleeping through again. Complete torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Well at least we aren’t the only ones! I just can’t believe it! We had 2 weeks of a lovely routine and it’s just gone! Those aches and constant slight headache are back from lack of sleep... :(:(:(

Any advice on how to improve on it? Or do we need to just ride it out? I suppose I should be thankful it’s only once a night but she could be up 2 hours!!! She barely lasts 2 hours between naps during the morning...

OSI wrote: »
    Heh, snap! Went from full nights sleep (bliss) to waking up a couple of times a night and needing a lot consoling to get back to sleep. Also changed the day he got his vaccines. I remember after the 2 month one's he had really bad wind from the Rotavirus vaccine, so I think it's tied to that.

Funny you should mention wind as that’s what wakes her at night! Trying to pass wind! I wonder is there anything you could do to help???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Oh thank God I'm not the only one. She has been waking during the night for the past week or so, which has been very difficult because she was sleeping through the night from about 5 weeks on!

What works for us is swaddling her up again and turning her onto her side. Not recommending this for any of ye but, in our case, this helps her to drop off again. I am not keen on giving her a bottle as its not a habit i want her to get into.

Any advice on moving her into bigger cot? She's still in moses basket, about to burst out of it, but her big brother is only ready to move out of his cot now. She really sleeps better when she's swaddled but with the wriggling its not as easy now. Would a sleep sack work?

• Advertisement

heldel00 wrote: »
    Oh thank God I'm not the only one. She has been waking during the night for the past week or so, which has been very difficult because she was sleeping through the night from about 5 weeks on!

What works for us is swaddling her up again and turning her onto her side. Not recommending this for any of ye but, in our case, this helps her to drop off again. I am not keen on giving her a bottle as its not a habit i want her to get into.

Any advice on moving her into bigger cot? She's still in moses basket, about to burst out of it, but her big brother is only ready to move out of his cot now. She really sleeps better when she's swaddled but with the wriggling its not as easy now. Would a sleep sack work?

Based on what I’ve read it’s developmental because there is so much going on around 4 months so I’m just riding it out.

We did move him from the cosleeper to the cot about a month ago because he outgrew the cosleeper and kept hitting the sides but it didn’t make a difference with the sleeping. I still have the cot side-carred onto the bed so its just a big cosleeper.

This article helped me https://sarahockwell-smith.com/2013/08/29/help-my-4-5-month-old-is-sleeping-like-a-newborn-again-aka-as-the-4-5-month-old-babies-from-hell/amp/

heldel00 wrote: »

It is nice to hear it’s not just you!!! Our little one wakes with dirty nappies so we need to change them is our problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Do ye keep track of the leaps with the app, tis nearly spot on... Herself is mad sticking out her tongue now she is like a little lizard...

How are all the babies handling this heat.. We have moved herself into a travel cot in our own room as the heat in her own room is mad.. 23.6 tonight (must say the gro egg is great) She seems to be spewing an awful lot more in the last few days too which I am putting down to just being off with the heat..

Milly33 wrote: »
    How are all the babies handling this heat.. We have moved herself into a travel cot in our own room as the heat in her own room is mad.. 23.6 tonight (must say the gro egg is great) She seems to be spewing an awful lot more in the last few days too which I am putting down to just being off with the heat..

Hi milly,

Our little one is doing ok in this heat but def more cranky than usual! Also I’m giving an extra feed a day to try and avoid dehydration! As she is def more thirsty than she had been. Yes gro eggs are great. What is everyone dressing their little ones in at night? We have tog 1 grobag and a short sleeved vest. During the day it’s so hard to know what to put on them, so Are go to at the moment are little rompers, look more comfy than dresses but at least her legs are out getting cool! 5 months old since Saturday how the time is flying!!!!

• Advertisement

Glad to hear tisnt just her off form them.. Pesky heat, should have known when they mentioned the leaving cert that the weather would be cracking...We were trying herself with some water for the dehydration ( I must say I loved finding out that about the soft spot on their head kinda falling in when they are dehydrated, such a good tip).. She will take a little bit of water out of cup, but put it in a bottle and her face, she knows it isn't milk and she is not happy. Would like if she drank more water but sure a bit is good. Someone mentioned putting some juice in it, but me thinks id prefer to put a bit of sugar..

For night we have just been putting her either in her nappy and blanket or else a vest and blanket.. .. I was going to go mad buying rompers in Aldi the last day as they are so cute but had to have the chat with myself (does she really need more clothes) so just putting on light little dresses or Next had lovely little dresses I think €7 each or two for €11 or something. They are great very light and comfy.

Ok so we are kinda the same! Short sleeve vest and grobag! So hard to keep myself cool in the day let alone them!

Our LO not too keen on water but I read somewhere it may take 20 offers of water before they start to take it! Maybe once she starts food! Anyone else planning on holding off till 26 weeks before introducing solids? She won’t take a bottle as it is I don’t want to be starting solids too late as well :(

Pocos wrote: »
    Ok so we are kinda the same! Short sleeve vest and grobag! So hard to keep myself cool in the day let alone them!

Our LO not too keen on water but I read somewhere it may take 20 offers of water before they start to take it! Maybe once she starts food! Anyone else planning on holding off till 26 weeks before introducing solids? She won’t take a bottle as it is I don’t want to be starting solids too late as well :(

I’m waiting until 26 weeks. Also, you don’t need to give a breastfed baby water before they start solids. Your BM changes during hot weather to become more thirst quenching so that’s all they need.

bee06 wrote: »
    I’m waiting until 26 weeks. Also, you don’t need to give a breastfed baby water before they start solids. Your BM changes during hot weather to become more thirst quenching so that’s all they need.

Thanks Bee I didn’t know that! Good to know about the water :)

How's everyone getting on? My girl will be 6 months on Sunday, can't get over how fast the time has gone.

The first tooth is just cutting now, a tiny spike coming through the bottom gum. She's in great form though the last few days randomly. She's still on reflux meds and on a dairy free formula.

Hope all the December babies are enjoying the sun!

Growing up so fast it is scary isn't it, how fast time is going.. Even saying that sounds silly when they are only months but still...Glad your little one is doing good lovely to hear.. What dairy free did you end up going with?

Our little one is fab, she is so happy... Will be hitting the six month mark next week.. Actually incase you are using dummies Supervalue have them on sale again. Picked up some 6-18mth they are quite bigger than the first ones... I tried her tonight with it just to see and she spat it out :) ..

Anywho, barr from a little unsettled during the fine weather she is great. On solids now too and getting ready to cut down to 4 bottles a day. Besotted with her lately as she is just full o cuddles and smiles...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

Isn’t time flying lashes! Our little guy will be 6 months Monday and we started him on solids 3 weeks ago. So far so good, he’s really starting to put on weight. Our little guy is on neocate due to a dairy allergy, I need to check with the dr when we try regular formula. He’s been on it since 2 months old.

Teething has him (and me) driven demented. I can see the bottom 2 are ready to break through but nothing yet. He’s not sleeping great. Wakes crying and with the fingers in his mouth. I thought it might be hunger but he won’t take any drink from me during the night.

What are yer sleeping patterns like? He goes down at 7pm and will sleep until 10pm (I’ll try him with a bottle when he wakes) and after that it’s waking every hour until about half 3 where he wakes every half hour. He starts his day at 5:30am. I’m like a walking zombie

We're on Neocate here too but only about 5 weeks.

Our schedule is roughly;
    730 wake and give Losec for reflux
    8 7oz bottle
    915 nap
    11 solids
    12 6oz bottle
    1330 nap
    1545 6oz bottle
    1730 nap
    1915 6oz bottle
    2030 bed

Im going to introduce a second solids meal from this weekend too. I've only given veg so far. I think I'll add in fruit and start introducing gluten once shes 6 months.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Our one is 6 months next tuesday. She started saying Dada last night, I almost cried haha. She's been splurting Mama for a few weeks but we put it down to just babbling. Last week she started putting her tongue between her gums and started saying 'ta....ta', and this week had her tongue on the upper wall and started saying 'dada'. She's also flipping herself on her stomach and sort-of crawling, pushing her hands to move around.

We give her 2 solids a day most days. A fruit (mango/apple) mid afternoon, and carrot/potato/bsquash in the evening at the same time we have dinner. She's no issue passing gas/pooping solid also. She's sleeping almost 12hrs a night now. We put her down shortly after 8pm after a feed. We give her another small feed around midnight, she never wakes up, and she's not up til around 8am the following morning. Her gums are pure white down below at this stage but she's not complained yet.

Honestly I feel blessed all things considered. Was really expecting a rougher ride but so far it's been smooth sailing. No colds, no illnesses etc and she's not afraid/upset at strangers, its fantastic. I'm making the most of it because I know it can change with a click of a finger.

What are yer sleeping patterns like? He goes down at 7pm and will sleep until 10pm (I’ll try him with a bottle when he wakes) and after that it’s waking every hour until about half 3 where he wakes every half hour. He starts his day at 5:30am. I’m like a walking zombie

You poor thing, it’s really tough to function with so little sleep. There’s a reason why sleep deprivation is a torture technique. Most nights my fella wakes 3 times, 12.00, 2.00 and 5.00 and is up for the day at 6.30. But some nights it could be a lot more. I’ve noticed on the nights where he does something new he sleeps worse. Like yesterday he rolled over for the first time and woke a lot more. Same when his first tooth came through. The heat is definitely having an effect as well.

• Advertisement

Wow Cherry ghost she is flying it... Is the competition on now to say Mama? We have been using basic sign with herself and we think we have heard her say Hey/Hi a few times but nothing too clear yet... Cant wait for her to start. It is magical watching them..

Think we are the same as you, so lucky that herself is so happy and just not really tough to look after. She has been in a great routine from around 2 weeks. It changes slightly every now and again when you change bottles and with intro of food, that's it.. She has her fist bottle at 7am and her last at 7.30pm, she has two feeds a day. Fruit/Weetabix/Oats in the morning and Veg in the evenings.. She loves her food.

Still laugh at some-ones referral to them moving around in bed "Mini Helicopters"... Herself sleeps great in fairness but jaysus the moving about in the bed is mad. She is rolling over and sticking her bum up in the air.. Tis grand but then she starts to face-plant and you start thinking can she breathe ok.. Tried putting a sheet on the bed last night to hold her in place but no, little herc was out of it... Thinking of lowering the cot too as she can nearly get her legs over the top when she is rolling..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Milly33 wrote: »
    Wow Cherry ghost she is flying it... Is the competition on now to say Mama? We have been using basic sign with herself and we think we have heard her say Hey/Hi a few times but nothing too clear yet... Cant wait for her to start. It is magical watching them..

Think we are the same as you, so lucky that herself is so happy and just not really tough to look after. She has been in a great routine from around 2 weeks. It changes slightly every now and again when you change bottles and with intro of food, that's it.. She has her fist bottle at 7am and her last at 7.30pm, she has two feeds a day. Fruit/Weetabix/Oats in the morning and Veg in the evenings.. She loves her food.

Still laugh at some-ones referral to them moving around in bed "Mini Helicopters"... Herself sleeps great in fairness but jaysus the moving about in the bed is mad. She is rolling over and sticking her bum up in the air.. Tis grand but then she starts to face-plant and you start thinking can she breathe ok.. Tried putting a sheet on the bed last night to hold her in place but no, little herc was out of it... Thinking of lowering the cot too as she can nearly get her legs over the top when she is rolling..

Yep, wife said she'll kill me if she's calling daddy before mammy :D

Our one doesn't move around so much in bed. She just sort of tries to tuck herself into a corner and stays there all night.

Hi all, great to hear how well everyone is getting on!!

Our little one is doing well. Rolling over like mad and getting quite steady sitting up. Routine? There really isn’t one! I know once she wakes she will need to go back to bed after 2 hours! Our day kinda looks like this

Wake 5am quick feed sleep
    Wake 8am
    10am feed (EBF) sleep for 40mins to an hour

1pm feed and sleep again usually an hour

5pm feed and a short nap 20-30 mins

8-9 pm feed and then bedtime!

Now she will get fed a few more times in between if she is looking for it! She only 5 months 10 days old so a little younger than the babies here as she was born 2nd jan (was due in December!)

The 5am feed is a new thing and she’s getting harder to put to bed at night and starting to cluster feed more before bed could even feed for 45 mins at one time rest of the day is about 10 mins!

Could she be hungry? Why and when did ye know to introduce solids? As from reading the above posts most people started before the 26 weeks??? Thanks

Pocos your little girl sounds very similar to my little boy. He’s 5 days older and also EBF. He has a long feed before bed as well (always had). He’s definitely feeding more during the heat wave and it make sense to me as I’m thirstier as well.

I’m introducing solids as 6 months provided the signs of readiness are met (sitting up, no tongue thrust, able to pick up objects and put them in their mouth and showing an interest in food). That’s the recommendation from the World Health Organisation so sticking with it. Breastfeeding is way easier than dealing with solids anyway so I’m in no rush!

Pocos your little girl sounds very similar to my little boy. He’s 5 days older and also EBF. He has a long feed before bed as well (always had). He’s definitely feeding more during the heat wave and it make sense to me as I’m thirstier as well.

I’m introducing solids as 6 months. That’s the recommendation from the World Health Organisation so sticking with it. Breastfeeding is way easier than dealing with solids anyway so I’m in no rush!

Ok thanks bee I know you had said before you were waiting till 26 weeks when I read lashes routine it had said solids at 11 and I got the two of ye confused so I was thinking had something changed!!!

Yes she’s def thirstier.. see she had stopped the cluster feed at night and was sleeping 9-11 hours going down at 9.. we went on holidays and she started this waking up at 5am business! I put it down to the heat, as like you said she might have been waking up thirsty! But it has continued and as of 2 days ago the cluster feed at night has started! I just don’t want her to be hungry! Also her naps have cut way down! They used sometimes be 2 hours! I’m doing well to get an hour out of her now and she wakes up cranky!!! :(

I’m wrecked from her! Got too used to the unbroken sleep.. :)

Btw thanks to everyone for the tips on the holiday! We have a lovely 10 nights in Spain and it was fab to come back to the nice weather too!! :)

Pocos wrote: »
    Ok thanks bee I know you had said before you were waiting till 26 weeks when I read lashes routine it had said solids at 11 and I got the two of ye confused so I was thinking had something changed!!!

Yes she’s def thirstier.. see she had stopped the cluster feed at night and was sleeping 9-11 hours going down at 9.. we went on holidays and she started this waking up at 5am business! I put it down to the heat, as like you said she might have been waking up thirsty! But it has continued and as of 2 days ago the cluster feed at night has started! I just don’t want her to be hungry! Also her naps have cut way down! They used sometimes be 2 hours! I’m doing well to get an hour out of her now and she wakes up cranky!!! :(

I’m wrecked from her! Got too used to the unbroken sleep.. :)

I definitely have her twin here! Same with the naps over the last few weeks. He’s going through the 6 month growth spurt since yesterday as well i day because he’s upped the feeding even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Would like people's opinion on this situation please!

Mother in law babysat for us last saturday night. Baby was in bed before we left. He usually sleeps half 9 to approx 6am. Anyways I told her if he wakes up to give him the soother and he will go back to sleep. He might let out a small cry but nothin major. In the hotter weather he had been waking maybe once during the night.

We came home anyways it was around 2am and she told me that he had woken up at half 12 and he was crying so she had to take him up. But she gave him calpol then and cool boiled water coz she thought he was thirsty. The thing is she also gave him calpol back the nighy before the christening when he was 3 months and he was like an antixhrist the day of the christening.

Next day I said to hubby as I was extremely annoyed. It was the 2nd time giving it to him and she has only babysitted him maybe 5 times in total. Like if he was running a temperature i would have wanted to have been called incase it went into anything serious (she carelessly had brought no phone either and we dont have a house phone). I had also hid the calpol in a different press since the previous time she had minded him to make sure she wouldnt give it but alas she had searched the presses and found it.

Hubby said it next day to her and what she said was that she had reared 6 kids and knew what she was doing. Its not the first time she hasnt listened, before I told her he had been fed and she was literally only minding him for an hour and when i came back she was shoving a bottle down his neck and he was screaming pulling back from her not drinking it at all. I had told her to entertain him with a few toys but the toys were left in the same spot i left them.

During the week she called down and said to me that hubby had said to her about the calpol, i said ya i didnt want it given ovviously if he was only waking up due to heat etc and if he was running a fever (which he wasnt) i should have been called straight away. I also didnt want a 3 month old baby getting calpol for no reason. She shrugged her shoulders and again said ive reared 6 kids i know what im doing.

Now i dont trust her to look after baby again its like she doesnt listen and does thing her own way. Its extremely frustrating. My mother said she shouldnt have given calpol just coz he had a little cry and def should not have said to me that she reared 5 kids.

What are peoples opinions? Am i overreacting?

I definitely have her twin here! Same with the naps over the last few weeks. He’s going through the 6 month growth spurt since yesterday as well i day because he’s upped the feeding even more!

I didn’t even know there was a 6 month growth spurt! Honestly it’s so hard to keep up!!!

• Advertisement

donkey10 wrote: »
    Would like people's opinion on this situation please!

Mother in law babysat for us last saturday night. Baby was in bed before we left. He usually sleeps half 9 to approx 6am. Anyways I told her if he wakes up to give him the soother and he will go back to sleep. He might let out a small cry but nothin major. In the hotter weather he had been waking maybe once during the night.

We came home anyways it was around 2am and she told me that he had woken up at half 12 and he was crying so she had to take him up. But she gave him calpol then and cool boiled water coz she thought he was thirsty. The thing is she also gave him calpol back the nighy before the christening when he was 3 months and he was like an antixhrist the day of the christening.

Next day I said to hubby as I was extremely annoyed. It was the 2nd time giving it to him and she has only babysitted him maybe 5 times in total. Like if he was running a temperature i would have wanted to have been called incase it went into anything serious (she carelessly had brought no phone either and we dont have a house phone). I had also hid the calpol in a different press since the previous time she had minded him to make sure she wouldnt give it but alas she had searched the presses and found it.

Hubby said it next day to her and what she said was that she had reared 6 kids and knew what she was doing. Its not the first time she hasnt listened, before I told her he had been fed and she was literally only minding him for an hour and when i came back she was shoving a bottle down his neck and he was screaming pulling back from her not drinking it at all. I had told her to entertain him with a few toys but the toys were left in the same spot i left them.

During the week she called down and said to me that hubby had said to her about the calpol, i said ya i didnt want it given ovviously if he was only waking up due to heat etc and if he was running a fever (which he wasnt) i should have been called straight away. I also didnt want a 3 month old baby getting calpol for no reason. She shrugged her shoulders and again said ive reared 6 kids i know what im doing.

Now i dont trust her to look after baby again its like she doesnt listen and does thing her own way. Its extremely frustrating. My mother said she shouldnt have given calpol just coz he had a little cry and def should not have said to me that she reared 5 kids.

What are peoples opinions? Am i overreacting?

Donkey so sorry to hear this.. it’s such a rotten position to be in! Are you over reacting? No not really. It’s annoying when instructions are given and not followed..
    but can you do anything about it? Probably not. Its now become a trust issue, can you trust your MIL? Cos I think ultimately when I hand my LO over to someone else to mind her they then have full control. Feed if they feel there’s a need, calpol if they think it’s needed nappy changes etc . I don’t question it as number 1 they are doing me the favour by minding her and number 2 I trust that they have her safety and needs as a priority..

By the sounds of it you don’t trust your MIL’s decisions and it does sound like she is kinda just doing her own thing.

So you have two options
    1. Don’t get her to babysit anymore which may cause problems between you and your husband

2. When she is babysitting give instructions but ultimately she has a carte Blanche on what to do with your baby. Also she did raise 6 and I’m sure they all turned out ok! You just have to decide to trust her and that she has your baby’s best interest at heart and doesn’t mean to cause any harm! She just sounds a bit old school.

I know I def struggled to hand over my little one but you can’t micro manage when you aren’t there! Also your relationship with your husband needs to be kept in mind too!

Anyway best of luck with it! Not the nicest of situations to be in! Try to be positive and focus on the fact she is willing to babysit and perhaps she’s a bit nervous and feels better that calpol is given!

Advertisement