Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Pocos wrote: »
    I didn’t even know there was a 6 month growth spurt! Honestly it’s so hard to keep up!!!

Yep, then at 9 months again. The 6 month leap is supposed to be a big one as well so could be throwing her sleep out. So many things going on!

Donkey, I don’t think you’re overreacting. I’d have been raging. It’s not just about the Calpol (but I agree with you on that as well). If you can’t trust her to follow pretty basic instructions how can you trust her to do anything your way. It doesn’t matter if she raised a hundred children. This baby is yours so you make the parenting choices not her and she needs to respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

bee06 wrote: »
    Yep, then at 9 months again. The 6 month leap is supposed to be a big one as well so could be throwing her sleep out. So many things going on!

Oh god it’s never ending!!! Thanks for the heads up! Poor little things I guess there really is so much going on for them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

donkey10 wrote: »
    Would like people's opinion on this situation please!

Mother in law babysat for us last saturday night. Baby was in bed before we left. He usually sleeps half 9 to approx 6am. Anyways I told her if he wakes up to give him the soother and he will go back to sleep. He might let out a small cry but nothin major. In the hotter weather he had been waking maybe once during the night.

We came home anyways it was around 2am and she told me that he had woken up at half 12 and he was crying so she had to take him up. But she gave him calpol then and cool boiled water coz she thought he was thirsty. The thing is she also gave him calpol back the nighy before the christening when he was 3 months and he was like an antixhrist the day of the christening.

Next day I said to hubby as I was extremely annoyed. It was the 2nd time giving it to him and she has only babysitted him maybe 5 times in total. Like if he was running a temperature i would have wanted to have been called incase it went into anything serious (she carelessly had brought no phone either and we dont have a house phone). I had also hid the calpol in a different press since the previous time she had minded him to make sure she wouldnt give it but alas she had searched the presses and found it.

Hubby said it next day to her and what she said was that she had reared 6 kids and knew what she was doing. Its not the first time she hasnt listened, before I told her he had been fed and she was literally only minding him for an hour and when i came back she was shoving a bottle down his neck and he was screaming pulling back from her not drinking it at all. I had told her to entertain him with a few toys but the toys were left in the same spot i left them.

During the week she called down and said to me that hubby had said to her about the calpol, i said ya i didnt want it given ovviously if he was only waking up due to heat etc and if he was running a fever (which he wasnt) i should have been called straight away. I also didnt want a 3 month old baby getting calpol for no reason. She shrugged her shoulders and again said ive reared 6 kids i know what im doing.

Now i dont trust her to look after baby again its like she doesnt listen and does thing her own way. Its extremely frustrating. My mother said she shouldnt have given calpol just coz he had a little cry and def should not have said to me that she reared 5 kids.

What are peoples opinions? Am i overreacting?

Donkey so sorry to hear this.. it’s such a rotten position to be in! Are you over reacting? No not really. It’s annoying when instructions are given and not followed..
    but can you do anything about it? Probably not. Its now become a trust issue, can you trust your MIL? Cos I think ultimately when I hand my LO over to someone else to mind her they then have full control. Feed if they feel there’s a need, calpol if they think it’s needed nappy changes etc . I don’t question it as number 1 they are doing me the favour by minding her and number 2 I trust that they have her safety and needs as a priority..

By the sounds of it you don’t trust your MIL’s decisions and it does sound like she is kinda just doing her own thing.

So you have two options
    1. Don’t get her to babysit anymore which may cause problems between you and your husband

2. When she is babysitting give instructions but ultimately she has a carte Blanche on what to do with your baby. Also she did raise 6 and I’m sure they all turned out ok! You just have to decide to trust her and that she has your baby’s best interest at heart and doesn’t mean to cause any harm! She just sounds a bit old school.

I know I def struggled to hand over my little one but you can’t micro manage when you aren’t there! Also your relationship with your husband needs to be kept in mind too!

Anyway best of luck with it! Not the nicest of situations to be in! Try to be positive and focus on the fact she is willing to babysit and perhaps she’s a bit nervous and feels better that calpol is given!

Thanks Pocos.

We got on so well before the baby arrived but its just I feel she does not take on board what I say like she does her own thing and thats that. My mother always listens to what I say so its totally different.

Yeah its an annoying situtation and yes totally agree with the two options.
    Hubby wasnt happy with what she said to me directly abou rearing 6 kids and was going to say it to her again (he wasnt there when she said it) and i was like dont bother itll only cause agro.

Realistically i will be gettin her to mind baby again coz it suits her to mind him when we are going out due to location. My mother is based in the oposite direction of where we go out. I guess it will mean bringing the calpol with me next time!! Lol!!!

I didn’t even know there was a 6 month growth spurt! Honestly it’s so hard to keep up!!!

Donkey, I don’t think you’re overreacting. I’d have been raging. It’s not just about the Calpol (but I agree with you on that as well). If you can’t trust her to follow pretty basic instructions how can you trust her to do anything your way. It doesn’t matter if she raised a hundred children. This baby is yours so you make the parenting choices not her and she needs to respect that.

Yeah thanks for that bee06. Good to know im not acting OTT. Its funny like my mother listens to everything i ask her or tell her down to the book he likes!! I suppose thats the difference between mothers and mothers in law!!

Her own daughter just had a baby a few weeks ago and is making everyone wash their hands before touching the baby and they are fine with that but when i said that with my baby when he was just born they wouldnt even listen!!

Yeah thanks for that bee06. Good to know im not acting OTT. Its funny like my mother listens to everything i ask her or tell her down to the book he likes!! I suppose thats the difference between mothers and mothers in law!!

Her own daughter just had a baby a few weeks ago and is making everyone wash their hands before touching the baby and they are fine with that but when i said that with my baby when he was just born they wouldnt even listen!!

That’s really annoying. My mom had 5 kids but when I tell her stuff now she always says how great it is that so much more is known now that when she was raising us and how it’s so much easier to get information with the internet. I wonder if your husband explained this to her would it make a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I don't think you are over-reacting either donkey.. Kinda did at the start but the more you read really she is overstepping the mark. I would think ye have said it to her and heard her reaction so maybe leave it at that. Don't ask her to babysit again unless she sticks to the rules.. You don't mind maybe given a drop of water, but the calpol is a bit much, plus the feeding when you said not too..

Don't be too harsh on her and hold a grudge, but just be of the mind set that unless she respects yer way then that's it. If she wants to babysit then she has to stick to the rules...

I thought the food weaning was much easier than the breastfeeding herself loves the food, the only thing she was a little no, was peas..

Milly33 wrote: »
    I thought the food weaning was much easier than the breastfeeding herself loves the food, the only thing she was a little no, was peas..

It’s a lot easier breastfeeding a 5 month old compared to a newborn thankfully! I’d have cracked up a long time ago otherwise :)

That’s really annoying. My mom had 5 kids but when I tell her stuff now she always says how great it is that so much more is known now that when she was raising us and how it’s so much easier to get information with the internet. I wonder if your husband explained this to her would it make a difference?

Na wont work coz when he mentioned about the calpol the day after (i wasnt there) there was a bit of a row coz his sister was there too, rubbing it in about the mother having 6 kids even tho the sister doesnt even have kids.

Anyways for a quiet life ill say nothin more and just take the calpol when i go or hide it. No way shes going to need it when we only gone for a few hours out. She should call if any issues is the way i see it

Na wont work coz when he mentioned about the calpol the day after (i wasnt there) there was a bit of a row coz his sister was there too, rubbing it in about the mother having 6 kids even tho the sister doesnt even have kids.

Anyways for a quiet life ill say nothin more and just take the calpol when i go or hide it. No way shes going to need it when we only gone for a few hours out. She should call if any issues is the way i see it

I don't think you are over-reacting either donkey.. Kinda did at the start but the more you read really she is overstepping the mark. I would think ye have said it to her and heard her reaction so maybe leave it at that. Don't ask her to babysit again unless she sticks to the rules.. You don't mind maybe given a drop of water, but the calpol is a bit much, plus the feeding when you said not too..

Don't be too harsh on her and hold a grudge, but just be of the mind set that unless she respects yer way then that's it. If she wants to babysit then she has to stick to the rules...

Yeah thats it. Obv i appreciate she has reared all her kids but this is my child and i am the one with him 24/7 when shes not asked to bbsit so we all have diff ways.
    For a quiet life ill just take the calpol away and hide it next time coz obv we will be gettin her to bbsit again as its convenient when we are going to the local for a few hours rather than my.mum as thats a distance away. If its a case hes running a temp i should be contacted straigt away to come back anyway.

Glad ye seem to be on the same page as me anyways and i wasnt overreacting.

• Advertisement

True if he is sick she should call..Might be worth getting even a basic mobile or just a house phone in just so she has no excuses...I forgot recently how convenient the house phone was. I flushed my mobile whoopsie and sure the hubbie was away, I could not contact him, or anyone else. Thank god for Facebook and managed to sort it out that way, but got me thinking. We now have a spare phone just incase…

No stand your ground you are right. It doesn't matter how many kids she had reared this is yer baby...

Skitting tried herself with some peach and twas like the giving a baby lemon reaction, it did not go down well at all.. Must have a look at rusks see what are the better ones

No worries Donkey best of luck with it :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Heh... normally when someone, even myself, takes our baby out of routine I get a bit angry, considering how well we've been with her. My mother iss pretty bad for it. We havent had her at ours overnight and going home to her takes our baby out of routine, but I just tend to snap at her a bit. 6 months and she's perfectly healthy and happy. If I tell her she likes to do X this way, then listen to us and please do it!

It is very frustrating, as it isn't them with the baby every day..

I get annoyed too at myself when it happens, everyone (sorry it does kinda annoy me too when mentioned here) saying but sure you cant have a routine at 2 weeks or she is too young for a routine.. Id be like well mmmmm whos baby is she and then we do the seagull impression from Finding Nemo!! :)

Looking at herself here with a Liga oh tis funny watching her figure it out, but the mess and the sogginess... Even the idea of soggy bread gets me kinda barf.. The food is so messy... Was a little taken back yesterday when I went in just to have a look at snacks for her.. Jes there is so much there it is madness and the sugars... Ended up getting Liga and these Organix bread sticks. Was going to get some other bits but had to stop myself and say why are you getting this sure just give her fruit and veg sticks as snacks....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I get annoyed too at myself when it happens, everyone (sorry it does kinda annoy me too when mentioned here) saying but sure you cant have a routine at 2 weeks or she is too young for a routine.. Id be like well mmmmm whos baby is she and then we do the seagull impression from Finding Nemo!! :)

Looking at herself here with a Liga oh tis funny watching her figure it out, but the mess and the sogginess... Even the idea of soggy bread gets me kinda barf.. The food is so messy... Was a little taken back yesterday when I went in just to have a look at snacks for her.. Jes there is so much there it is madness and the sugars... Ended up getting Liga and these Organix bread sticks. Was going to get some other bits but had to stop myself and say why are you getting this sure just give her fruit and veg sticks as snacks....

I haven't given herself anything sugary yet... just pureed fruit and veg twice (sometimes thrice) a day. Probably start porridge quite soon. Dreading the 6 month vaccines. I aint good with needles, just looking at them and I certainly aint good useless watching herself cry in pain. It breaks me up inside.

Yeah thats it but sure what can we do we will always get that happening!

What age is she now? I was looking at the back of boxes today and i think it was the liga ones ( i cant remember though) that said 12 months plus. Are we supposed to follow that exactly?

Im gonna start the baby rice next week he turns 5 months so hes only showing signs now. Are you supposed to give bottle first and then the food or just food on its own

Heh... normally when someone, even myself, takes our baby out of routine I get a bit angry, considering how well we've been with her. My mother iss pretty bad for it. We havent had her at ours overnight and going home to her takes our baby out of routine, but I just tend to snap at her a bit. 6 months and she's perfectly healthy and happy. If I tell her she likes to do X this way, then listen to us and please do it!

So with you there! We are the ones that are with them 24/7 (well not literally ) and know them inside out. Like times have changed from years ago too. It really causes upset their system and we have to pick up the pieces then grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Our little lady sort of fell into her own routine and I'm really trying to stick to it. I did with my first child and he was a great little fella ONCE he had his sleep.
    It's actually very funny because we are like ninjas waiting to pounce on her when she wakes up and then its chaos for a few minutes to get into the car and away! We only have a window of 2 and a half hours to get whatever needs to be done, done.

BTW the January 2018 thread seems to have died off so i think I'll officially join ye here!!

heldel00 wrote: »
    Our little lady sort of fell into her own routine and I'm really trying to stick to it. I did with my first child and he was a great little fella ONCE he had his sleep.
    It's actually very funny because we are like ninjas waiting to pounce on her when she wakes up and then its chaos for a few minutes to get into the car and away! We only have a window of 2 and a half hours to get whatever needs to be done, done.

BTW the January 2018 thread seems to have died off so i think I'll officially join ye here!!

Will your little one not sleep on the move? My little one has next to no routine but she is happy to sleep in car and buggy so it’s helps when I’m
    Out and about!

Absolutely jan thread completely disappeared pity cos it’s lovely to chat to people with babies a similar age!

Ah she does to a certain extent but i feel its never as good of a sleep as she'd get in the cot. Plus anywhere i seem to have to go is only like 40 mins to an hour and she'd usually sleep for 2+ hours.

Anyway i totally jinxed myself even mentioning her "routine" earlier because she acted the maggot big time earlier and barely slept today!!

What about night time for the rest of ye? She was always so good and i know people talk about the 4 month sleep regression but ugh, its so fecking hard. It was nearly every hour and a half about 3 weeks ago. Hasn't been as bad this last week but i mean she was sleeping through the night at 5 weeks old!!!

• Advertisement

Oh yes I agree they get a better sleep in the cot but I couldn’t be stuck at home all day for her naps! I’d go nuts! So I try and give her 1-2 of the naps in the cot and one out and about!

Nighttime I found about the 4 months she was bad for a week! But I blame the vaccinations on that one! Then during the heat she was completely off too, waking at night but in fairness I was waking thirsty at night so she was probably the same! Last week at 5.5 months she had 6 rotten nights up 1-2 times when the month of April May she was sleeping 10 hours!

Last few nights she’s back to 10 hours sleep and I feel like a whole new woman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

The heat seemed to knock our little guy way out! He wakes crying some nights, but (touch wood!!!) he hasn’t been bad the past 3 nights. He’s went down at 9pm and slept until 5am with no night time feed! Normally he wakes up during the night and I feed him because he’s wide awake but the past few nights he’s taken a soother and gone back to sleep. Now don’t get me wrong he’s awake about 10 times during the night!

I remember reading somewhere before you can be tired and angry or just tired! It’s become my mantra when the nights are tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skullsocks

My LO won't sleep in the cot at all. Only in my arms (Where is he asleep right now), the pram if we are out and beside me in the bed if I feed him. Which means i never get a break. I dream of him taking naps in the cot so I can actually get some time to myself even though it's just to clean up the house or make food!

skullsocks wrote: »
    My LO won't sleep in the cot at all. Only in my arms (Where is he asleep right now), the pram if we are out and beside me in the bed if I feed him. Which means i never get a break. I dream of him taking naps in the cot so I can actually get some time to myself even though it's just to clean up the house or make food!

We’ve only started it now but I bought Lucy Wolfe’s book and have started “sleep training”. First few days were a nightmare but we were having issues anyway so I’m for a penny, in for a pound I figured. Our guy spent his first night in his own bed (we normally co-sleep or like that he’s on me). It is tough but worth it if you can stick out the sleep training. I’ve no doubt he’ll prob go backwards too but it might be worth a shot to try it!

skullsocks wrote: »

We’ve only started it now but I bought Lucy Wolfe’s book and have started “sleep training”. First few days were a nightmare but we were having issues anyway so I’m for a penny, in for a pound I figured. Our guy spent his first night in his own bed last night (we normally co-sleep or like that he’s on me). It is tough but worth it if you can stick out the sleep training. I’ve no doubt he’ll prob go backwards too but it might be worth a shot to try it!

Our girl got 6 month vaccines this morning. She only whimpered a bit but she's been moody all day so far.

Our girl got 6 month vaccines this morning. She only whimpered a bit but she's been moody all day so far.

How did she go at the 2 & 4 month vaccines cherry? We’re a bit behind on them! Our guy had his 4 month ones last week as he was very sick at the start and we had to wait for him to get better. They have been grand for us thankfully just his nappies were off for a few days but he was grand with them thankfully!

Plenty of extra cuddles for your little lady today

When we went in for our 4 month ones the nurse asked when was my last smear, i said i couldn't remember, she checked the system and after few more questions she says "sure pull off the knickers, hop up there and we'll do one now"!!! It'll forever be my abiding memory of the 4mth jabs! No wonder all of her appointments over run so much.

Last night she slept until 5am and never woke. I think my perseverance with the dummy and giving her a bit of water in the bottle might be paying off. (Not advising water in bottle for rest of ye its just what we trying here.)
    I'm very lucky though that i can fall asleep almost immediately again. Its not like I'm lying awake for ages afterwards. My husband is even luckier, he can sleep through the whole thing!!!

How did she go at the 2 & 4 month vaccines cherry? We’re a bit behind on them! Our guy had his 4 month ones last week as he was very sick at the start and we had to wait for him to get better. They have been grand for us thankfully just his nappies were off for a few days but he was grand with them thankfully!

Plenty of extra cuddles for your little lady today

2 and 4 months absolutely fine actually. She cried a bit, bit of calpol straight after and that was that. She was grand for the rest of the days. Todays been a different story. She's not eating so much either. Anyway hoping she's alright after today

• Advertisement

Yeah thats it but sure what can we do we will always get that happening!

What age is she now? I was looking at the back of boxes today and i think it was the liga ones ( i cant remember though) that said 12 months plus. Are we supposed to follow that exactly?

Im gonna start the baby rice next week he turns 5 months so hes only showing signs now. Are you supposed to give bottle first and then the food or just food on its own

Sorry for late reply off there for a the last few days... She is just 6months on Friday.. I was looking at the liga and there is two differant ones 6mths and 12mths..

I am doing a bit of this a bit of that with the following.. I understand rules and that, but I gave her the oats (just ground up reg ones) at around 3 weeks after starting on solids.. She isnt mad for the glupeyness of it so now i just sprinkle a bit of it into the purees.. I think once they dont show any signs of belly upset after, sure tis grand.. The baby rice is great so easy to make up and a nice filler to bulk up the purees.. I must say though the price of the rest of the baby mixes like that is crazy. I went to look at them and just went and got some ready brek... I think with the bottle tis up to you, the book i was getting tips from said to give half the bottle first, then food and then the rest. But the little miss has no bother with food, so i give her the food first. Then she has a few mins to let it settle, then the bottle...

Im the same with the vaccines, when she got her first one. I was like getting ready to all Rambo with YOU HURT MY BABY, but sure you know tis for the better.. I found the 4mth injections left a big kinda like mosquito bump after for id say around 2 weeks, but other than that no other signs.. thank god hopefully the 6mth will be the same

Advertisement