Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Ya teeth Milly. Our girl is at her ears a lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ear infections will usually come with a temperature or vomit (or both if you're really lucky...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yeah thank you ladies, i was looking at the books alright to check and that what they were saying, so mind was at ease a little but still wondering, when she started at the other one i was a little cautious.. Still laugh at how long it takes, like that the first little bum redness and we are like ohh there is a tooth coming, 4 months later no tooth and the same with crawling.. Shell be walking by Sunday and on Sunday she discovers planking...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My little fellas teeth came up pretty quickly after he started the ear pulling so hopefully she isn’t suffering too long.

First birthday as a Mummy!! Cant stop smiling at herself, she is mad to go crawling but just cant get there i hope soon for her..

Another thing she started doing the last few days was pulling one of her hands, not sure was trying to think way and thought maybe tis becuase she has something on her hand she is trying to get rid of, or that she is trying the sign for all gone which is kinda like that.. She grabs one hand by the wrist and kinda pulls.. Very odd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

hey ladies,

i don't get to post on here very often as not using the laptop as much anymore. my lg is doing great with regarding sleep and naps but im well worried about her eating her finger food so far has had no real interest. she just plays with the food in her hand. the solid food we give her she takes no bother. and still no sign of any teeth :(

she loves to stand but hates going down on her tummy so there has been no sign of crawling so she might skip that phase. we have to wait till next month for her 9 month check up as we couldn't make this month apt.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Today our daughter started standing up with aid from the playpen rails. I was dozing off in the playpen after playing with her for a while, and woke to find her standing in front of me against the rail! I nearly keeled over!

I have been trying herself on finger food too recently mollybird and sounds something similiar.. She will eat things like crispies and bread fine, but is on an off with the likes of carrott sticks, brocolli and pasta.. I think with her for sure it is actually a bit of laziness, she could be arsed chewing haha... Spent nearly an hour with her today trying to get her to eat carrott sticks and pasta, along with chicken (the chicken was blitzed) ended up just putting the past on her tray to mess with,and at the very end after much messing around with it she started to eat it.. She has no teeth either, mind i am sure something came trough today or there is one very close...

Just keep offering the finger food. It takes a while for them to figure out that it’s actually food and how to chew etc. Eating the same thing they are eating makes a big difference I find as well. My little boy eats much more when we’re eating the same food as him. It’s like he sees me eating the same thing and is like oh that’s what it’s for!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Also minimise the fuss and attention on it.
    Small kids become very interested in doing the exact opposite to what you want when they know you want them to do something and very early on they discover food is one thing that they do have power over....you can't force them to eat :-)

• Advertisement

thats the thing id say with herself is that she is like mmm where is the food in my belly, rather than relaxing and chewing the food.. Mmm must get that from her Dad :)... She will eat the food just seems a little more interested still in the purees, but getting out of them now and cutting down on one of the bottles. She is quite good with her cup now...

Cant believe that the year is going by so fast it has been so much fun, we used to always pick our birthday cakes from the Womens Weekly birthday cake book and have one orderd already for her. I know tis early but just love being prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi all, just with the talk of finger food should we be removing purées now! Little one is 8 months old so what’s the next step?

Crawling and mad for standing up here! Won’t sit and pulls herself up on everything!!! Very dangerous as she literally will grab anything to get herself up to standing! I have to follow her like a hawk!

Anyone know how many milk feeds 8 months old should be down to now?
    First sign of illness here with a heavy cold! Awful watching them all choked up :(

I’m not doing traditional weaning but it was covered in the weaning course I did. Purees should have gotten thicker and thicker to get baby used to swallowing thicker foods, then you switch to a smoothish mash which should get lumpier and lumpier. Finger foods should be offered at each meal as well. The below is a good guide from the NHS that I saved before I decided to do BLW.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59f75004f09ca48694070f3b/t/5a5a41479140b7e31a75ccbc/1515864404727/Eating_well_the_first_year_Sep_17_small.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I'm doing weetabix and fruit puree for breakfast, a thick puree for lunch and finger food for dinner along with 2 7oz bottles and an 8oz before bed.

My girl is starting her first full day with the childminder tomorrow and I've beem awake most of the night. She's done 3 half days over the last 2 weeks so I dont know why Im so anxious now but literally can't switch off and sleep. I've to be up in less than 3 hours. This is annoying.

Oh same here with the cold, her first one.. Must be in the air as my brother has one, and feeling it myself. Thank god she isnt in too bad form with it. Just snotty off to the shops to get her some soft tissues... I hate snots and im like ohhh my baby...

Tried her with a boiled egg today and she is gas its like mmm something to play with but she did eat a bit of it... Cant rem off the top of my head but I think it is 18oz or 21oz is the recommened with weaning. The one I am going with says to cut down on one bottle by giving it to her in a cup and then just swop it for milk or water.. Have her on 3 x 6oz btles and one 4oz then she is small, i think she still needs the 4oz one so going to keep it now until she lets me know she is ready...I think you kinda know what is right for them...

Best of luck with the childminder Lashes, sure youll be worried about her no wonder you cant switch off...No signs yet with herself crawling all the moments but just not getting there. I wonder is the floor here actually too slippy for her to crawl.. Clever out she knows is she pulls on the playmat to get stuff she can reach it that way so its like why woudl i crawl...

I used to think the same about the floors as he is mostly on the tiles in the kitchen but he started first pushing himself backwards and now he’s army crawling. Make the most of her not crawling yet! My fella likes to find the most dusty, cobweb filled corners of the house now and I can’t turn my back for a second. It’s exhausting!

Pocos, try half puree and half mash, before moving to full mash.It makes for an easier transition.Finger foods, you could try toast (with no crusts and some butter to make it wetter), maybe some very soft fruits, like mashed banana or little bits of raspberry, or avacado.Also big sticks of soft carrot, well steamed, and big pieces of brocoli also well steamed (or boiled).The bigger the chunk the better, as they can't shove it all in in one go then.

Haha Bee06 was looking at her today she backed herself into one of the corners on the bed and when i pulled her out there were dust bunnies stuck to her toes!! True I should be happy with how she is going I just hate seeing them try and get fustrated.. Cold all going good bar lots of snots, and ohh i hate snots but I just love her that much. Just incase I got the supposed soft tissues in Aldi and they are rubbish headed straight into Supervalue for the Kleenex ones, nothing but the best for herself :)..

A question too for all, re descaling the steriliser I know you can buy the sachets in Boots but sure never in there anymore, I have been using Vinegar all along as the water is really crap here, just pondering after picking up some of the milton like Aldi version, can you use that to descale? Maybe tis just something in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

bee06 wrote: »
    I’m not doing traditional weaning but it was covered in the weaning course I did. Purees should have gotten thicker and thicker to get baby used to swallowing thicker foods, then you switch to a smoothish mash which should get lumpier and lumpier. Finger foods should be offered at each meal as well. The below is a good guide from the NHS that I saved before I decided to do BLW.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59f75004f09ca48694070f3b/t/5a5a41479140b7e31a75ccbc/1515864404727/Eating_well_the_first_year_Sep_17_small.pdf

Thanks a million for this. Think it will def helpt me along the way over the next while.

Has anyone picked up a stroller yet like the umbrella fold style ones? Looking into getting one to leave in granny and grandads house so we dont have to bring out one with us all the time.. Just looking for recommendations. Dont want to go mad on one but would like one that would last a bit

• Advertisement

So any tips welcome, myself and the little one are going on our first flight soon just for a week. But has anyone travelled with Ryanair yey with the little one? Do you get to bring a bag for them and yourself? Not going to bring a buggy or car seat so saves a lot of hassel

Milly33 wrote: »
    So any tips welcome, myself and the little one are going on our first flight soon just for a week. But has anyone travelled with Ryanair yey with the little one? Do you get to bring a bag for them and yourself? Not going to bring a buggy or car seat so saves a lot of hassel

This thread might help. I shared the link to the Ryanair website with the baggage allowances as well on it. 5kg bag for the baby is allowed as well as your own cabin bag but no extra checked on allowance.

I found having a baby carrier great for going through the airport. Himself fell asleep in it while walking around.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057904333/1

Oh bee06 you are a wealth of knowledge (yes and i did spell check that one) thank you... Was hoping to fly with Aerlingus just because i will be alone but the prices went mad... Great stuff with the baby bag too, i was trying to look for it on their site but sure tis so messy...

Yeah the thoughts of having to haul the buggy now gives me the horrors thank god my sister can sort out a car seat and she has a buggy for us over, so the ergo should be perfect... Thank you again

Just took a quick read through there thanks bee06 so really nowt too much to worry about then. I have one checked on bag so most of the stuff will go in that and sure a trolley bag and her bag will be perfect for the flight

You’ll be grand. You’ll get to board first and the ergo will leave you hands free (love my ergo!). Pack something to distract her with on the plane as well. I had assumed my fella would sleep but going he was awake for the full 4 hour flight and keeping him entertained was tough!

We took the buggy because we needed it over there but it was a pain to have in the airport.

thanks again Bee will pack a few toys in her bag. It is only an hourish flight so nice and short. Looking a bit more forward to it now... Yeah the ergo's are great, mind we had the babylo one to start with and must say it was lovely to use also...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

Milly33 wrote: »
    Has anyone picked up a stroller yet like the umbrella fold style ones? Looking into getting one to leave in granny and grandads house so we dont have to bring out one with us all the time.. Just looking for recommendations. Dont want to go mad on one but would like one that would last a bit

We got the Phil and Ted Go Stroller. It was €160 but worth every cent. It folds down so easy and can be opened 1 handed. Its extremely lightweight but is honestly brilliant.

thanks Littlebobeep, i shall take a looksie think we might wonder into town to test a few out...I like the one handed fold type they make it so much easier.. For anyone looking too we went to the Parent First Aid course last night, have to say tis well worth it. A lot of the talk is really common sense stuff but they go through CPR (i know no one wants to think of it but handie to know) and tis great to just be shown what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

shesty wrote: »
    Pocos, try half puree and half mash, before moving to full mash.It makes for an easier transition.Finger foods, you could try toast (with no crusts and some butter to make it wetter), maybe some very soft fruits, like mashed banana or little bits of raspberry, or avacado.Also big sticks of soft carrot, well steamed, and big pieces of brocoli also well steamed (or boiled).The bigger the chunk the better, as they can't shove it all in in one go then.
    Shesty, how do they fair out with the toast fingers? I havent tried it yet but i really want to - he is 8 months old - im so afraid of him not swallowing and choking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

donkey10 wrote: »
    Shesty, how do they fair out with the toast fingers? I havent tried it yet but i really want to - he is 8 months old - im so afraid of him not swallowing and choking!

Just to chime in, my daughter is 8 months and has been eating toast for two months (no choking!!) You just cut the crusts off and they'll mash it up slowly in their fingers/mouth. Try to avoid seeded/granary bread. You can put butter or avocado or melted cheese on it for a bit of taste ;)

My daughter loves this recipe for eggy banana bread: https://www.myfussyeater.com/baby-french-toast-eggy-banana-bread/

Softer and they're getting a bit of fruit.

Re choking worries, they'll spit out what they can't chew rather than try to swallow it straight away, they have great gag reflexes. Always supervise them obviously when eating, but toast is a great intro to solid finger foods :)

Advertisement