Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

MelanieC wrote: »
    Aw that's lovely,so pleased for those of you who've had your first scans. It really makes it real doesn't it?
    I'm 8+4 today,nearly a fortnight since I was at my gp but haven't received any hospital appointment as of yet. Thought I would've got a date by now? I'm like a child listening for the postman every morning!

No harm in ringing the hospital. I got mine within a week and my gp said if I didn't hear from them within two weeks to ring. Probably depends on the hospital though.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

I'm 10+5 and still no hospital appointment either and I went to the doctor at 5 weeks. We booked a private scan and also the harmony test for next Wednesday so hopefully all goes well. We decided on the harmony test because we'd rather be prepaired for all eventualities. Anyone else considering having it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

I'm 10+5 and still no hospital appointment either and I went to the doctor at 5 weeks. We booked a private scan and also the harmony test for next Wednesday so hopefully all goes well. We decided on the harmony test because we'd rather be prepaired for all eventualities. Anyone else considering having it?

Sorry,what is a harmony test?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

I'm 8 weeks 3 days 5o day and I'm having the worst time 😢 Constantly sick, extremely tired, no energy, I really hope it starts getting better because I feel so miserable right now 😢

I was the same until week 9ish...then the sickness improved and I think I had started to manage the triggers better too e.g. Don't lie down or sleep after food no matter now shattered I was or Id wake up horrendously nauseous, reduce meal portions, snack on light foods only when actually feel hungry etc. The sleep/lying after eating was causing me havoc but was all I wanted to do cause I was so wrecked...really had to fight it.
    It does make everything else very hard to deal with, can get you very down and so miserable as you say....so sorry to say it's normal for some but you're not alone. Keep talking or crying it out with someone who'll listen if you feel the need and if it stops you getting very down... The GP told me the less sleep I got and the more stressed I got the worse the sickeds would be so I had to start going to bed earlier (I seem to wake round 4am nightly) to make sure I was getting a few quality hours.

Hope things improve soon.

Sorry,what is a harmony test?

It's a non invasive test that checks for Down's, Edward, Patau & Turner syndromes and other chromosomal abnormalities. It can be done from 10 weeks. They take a sample of blood from you and check the baby's Cells from that. It takes 10-14 working days for the results as they are sent away for analysis. You then get results which tell you if you are low risk or high risk (sometimes they can be inconclusive too). It can also tell the baby's gender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It's a non invasive test that checks for Down's, Edward, Patau & Turner syndromes and other chromosomal abnormalities. It can be done from 10 weeks. They take a sample of blood from you and check the baby's Cells from that. It takes 10-14 working days for the results as they are sent away for analysis. You then get results which tell you if you are low risk or high risk (sometimes they can be inconclusive too). It can also tell the baby's gender.

Is it expensive? Would the hospital do it or your own GP?

andreac wrote: »
    Is it expensive? Would the hospital do it or your own GP?

We are getting it done in Mullingar with scanme.ie . Because we haven't been given a hospital scan yet I want to get a private one and I just seen from their website they do it. It's €400 for the test but they have to do a scan before to check for viable pregnancy which costs €100. If you've already had a scan I'm not sure if you'd need it.

Loads of places seem to do it, if you google it. As far as I know GP's don't do it prices seem to be from €450 upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Galway Bay Medical do the harmony test for €495, it seems so expensive for a blood test. I know it has to be sent away etc but still!

We had talked about it earlier in the pregnancy and thought we would get it done but I dont think so now. I dont know if it'd be worth it.

Have my 12 week scan next Tuesday afternoon, will be 11.5 weeks then so dying to see the growth difference since my last scan at 9 weeks.

Will it start to seem real then!?

lashes34 wrote: »
    Galway Bay Medical do the harmony test for €495, it seems so expensive for a blood test. I know it has to be sent away etc but still!

We had talked about it earlier in the pregnancy and thought we would get it done but I dont think so now. I dont know if it'd be worth it.

Have my 12 week scan next Tuesday afternoon, will be 11.5 weeks then so dying to see the growth difference since my last scan at 9 weeks.

I had a scan at just under 8 weeks and again just under 10 and the diff was amazing. You could see the little foetus shape with the little arm and all, was cool.
    I have another just under 13 and id say i will see even more at that one.

andreac wrote: »
    I had a scan at just under 8 weeks and again just under 10 and the diff was amazing. You could see the little foetus shape with the little arm and all, was cool.
    I have another just under 13 and id say i will see even more at that one.

11 weeks today, due date twin :D

• Advertisement

lashes34 wrote: »

It's crazy expensive. We decided when we found out we were expecting we would get it done. I'd rather be prepared incase of the worst.

I know what you mean about it feeling real. I keep saying to my fiancé how do I even know there's a baby there because it's not like I am feel anything (although the sickness is out of control). I can't believe the hospital can leave it so long before bringing you in for a scan. It seems crazy. I definitely couldn't keep going not having a scan until 15 weeks

It's crazy expensive. We decided when we found out we were expecting we would get it done. I'd rather be prepared incase of the worst.

I know what you mean about it feeling real. I keep saying to my fiancé how do I even know there's a baby there because it's not like I am feel anything (although the sickness is out of control). I can't believe the hospital can leave it so long before bringing you in for a scan. It seems crazy. I definitely couldn't keep going not having a scan until 15 weeks

Thats very late, mine is at 11.5. Also have my first antenatal class on 4th July, I will be 16.5 at that stage. Surprised how organised the hospital are being.

Got my letter from the hospital today,thank god,was beginning to worry!

Dating scan first at 11+3,then clinic visit a week later. So annoying that it's two different days as I live over an hour away. Plus OH will be stuck at work for the scan and really doesn't want to miss it.

Was thinking of ringing to see if I can change any days or even time of day. Would they be accommodating with this does anyone know or am I wasting my time?! I know they're crazy busy so maybe not v.flexible? It's CUMH by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Got my letter from the hospital today,thank god,was beginning to worry!

Dating scan first at 11+3,then clinic visit a week later. So annoying that it's two different days as I live over an hour away. Plus OH will be stuck at work for the scan and really doesn't want to miss it.

Was thinking of ringing to see if I can change any days or even time of day. Would they be accommodating with this does anyone know or am I wasting my time?! I know they're crazy busy so maybe not v.flexible? It's CUMH by the way.

I had to change my scan date because we were only flying back from holidays. I was able to change it to the next day no problem (also CUMH).

• Registered Users Posts: 36 decmum

I have my first scan Tuesday evening as well I will be 11+2 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yeah can finally join the club.. Told family this weekend was super delighted... 12th week next week, thought we were further along but got the scan last week and was told 11weeks.. Due December 11th yeppee

I have my booking appointment tomorrow which includes bloods. Does anyone know if I need to be fasting in advance of having the bloods done, it doesn't say on the appointment confirmation letter etc. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I have my booking appointment tomorrow which includes bloods. Does anyone know if I need to be fasting in advance of having the bloods done, it doesn't say on the appointment confirmation letter etc. Thanks!

No fasting as far as I remember. The only fasting bloods I needed were for the Gestational Diabetes test at 24 weeks and a liver function test due to itching at around 30 weeks. Everything else was without fasting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

No fasting, it is just to check your immunity for things.

That's great folks, thanks for the quick responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

I'm 12 weeks today 😀! Nearly in the second trimester yay! I had my booking appointment and scan during the week. Was amazing to see the baby there definitely was a difference from my 9 week scan. The baby looked much more defined and was moving around loads stretching out its whole little body kicking the arms and feet and waving the it's hands up around it's face! Was amazing to see and made it seem more real. I had gestational diabetes on my last pregnancy and have checked my blood sugar a few times and it's been all over the place and so feel terrible absolutely terrible when it goes high so I'm on a no/low sugar diet and have to go to diabetes clinic at start of June. Anyone feel like their morning sickness nausea is easing up? Mine has a teeny tiny bit but it's not gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

Also as regards testing like the harmony test I think you can get it done in your maternity hospital. When I had my scan during the week the told me about it. It is optional so you do have to pay she said you can ring the ultrasound department in Rotunda anyways and organise it! I'm deciding whether to get it...don't think I will think it would actually end up giving me more anxiety!

I agree,think it would make me worry even more and I'm already worrying enough!

I know how you feel with the morning sickness coz I had it very bad in my last two pregnancies. Naturally enough I thought I would be the same again but no,nothing! It's so strange to me. I almost wish I was feeling sick just for the reassurance if that makes sense?

I'm 9 weeks today and so far have just had rhinitis (which I have normally anyway) and achy breasts a couple of times. It kinda feels like I have little or no pregnancy symptoms and it makes me so paranoid. I'm waking up each morning hoping to feel sick just so I can relax,but I never do! Is that crazy? :-(

Hopefully the scan in a few weeks will put my mind at rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I agree,think it would make me worry even more and I'm already worrying enough!

I know how you feel with the morning sickness coz I had it very bad in my last two pregnancies. Naturally enough I thought I would be the same again but no,nothing! It's so strange to me. I almost wish I was feeling sick just for the reassurance if that makes sense?

I'm 9 weeks today and so far have just had rhinitis (which I have normally anyway) and achy breasts a couple of times. It kinda feels like I have little or no pregnancy symptoms and it makes me so paranoid. I'm waking up each morning hoping to feel sick just so I can relax,but I never do! Is that crazy? :-(

Hopefully the scan in a few weeks will put my mind at rest.

Melanie I am 9 weeks on Tuesday (snooping in here from the January 2018 thread) and not a symptom kind. Didn't really have anything the last time either but like you I'd just like the reassurance of something! Our little man is 19months and i think I'm just too busy to notice tiredness.

What do people think are the chances of being called for scan before I hit the 12 week mark? (Cavan BTW) My sister is getting married when i am 12+3 and I'd like to be able to tell our news around wedding time ( not to steal the bride's thunder or anything but it just might be fairly obvious when bridesmaid is on the Ballygowan for the night!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Heldel I got my booking in appt at 11 weeks, I'm in Galway. You could book a private scan?

Dating scan first at 11+3,then clinic visit a week later. Was thinking of ringing to see if I can change any days or even time of day. Would they be accommodating with this does anyone know or am I wasting my time?! I know they're crazy busy so maybe not v.flexible? It's CUMH by the way.

I would ask - maybe you can postpone the first appointment to the day of the clinic? Not sure how it works in CUMH though.
    missjuly wrote: »
    Also as regards testing like the harmony test I think you can get it done in your maternity hospital.

I am planning on asking them about it tomorrow at my appointment as I had read here some maternity hospitals offer it. Might be a little cheaper than the private companies.
    heldel00 wrote: »
    What do people think are the chances of being called for scan before I hit the 12 week mark?

My scan is for 11.5 weeks and I am with Galway. Just have to wait and see I guess, you could be lucky. Otherwise I would get a private scan so you can announce when you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 What_to_do999

Have been keeping an eye on this thread for the last couple of weeks but finally bit the bullet and joined!

Due on Christmas Day and feeling good at the moment.

Does anyone else feel like it's such a long road to go? I wonder when it hits the second trimester do the weeks go quicker??

Have been keeping an eye on this thread for the last couple of weeks but finally bit the bullet and joined!

Due on Christmas Day and feeling good at the moment.

Does anyone else feel like it's such a long road to go? I wonder when it hits the second trimester do the weeks go quicker??

Congrats :D

Yes i feel a bit like that at the moment. Coming up to 12 weeks this Friday and def feel like it's dragging. Not feeling great either, but not overly sick at the same time? Just yucky and tired and not able to eat much.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 What_to_do999

I've resorted to bringing nuts in my handbag when I go anywhere as sometimes a wave of weakness has come over me and it's normally if I haven't eaten in a while. Little and often seems to be working for me though.

• Advertisement

I've resorted to bringing nuts in my handbag when I go anywhere as sometimes a wave of weakness has come over me and it's normally if I haven't eaten in a while. Little and often seems to be working for me though.

Yeah im finding nibbling on plain crackers too help me.

Advertisement