Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

mojesius wrote: »
    Re choking worries, they'll spit out what they can't chew ratger than try to swallow it straight away, they have great gag reflexes. Alwaysvise them obviously when eating, but toast is a great intro to solid finger foods :)

This is so true. It’s amazing to see how their natural gag reflex protects them.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I give a good bit of finger food. Try to give one meal most days like that. She has cheese and tomato omlette, toast, veg, banana. Yesterday she had pasta with avocado. A lot of it ends up on the floor and eaten by the dogs but its not just about what she eats, shes learning too and improving her dexterity.

I do give her weetabix for breakfast and a puree for lunch just so I know shes eating something.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Just to chime in, my daughter is 8 months and has been eating toast for two months (no choking!!) You just cut the crusts off and they'll mash it up slowly in their fingers/mouth. Try to avoid seeded/granary bread. You can put butter or avocado or melted cheese on it for a bit of taste ;)

My daughter loves this recipe for eggy banana bread: https://www.myfussyeater.com/baby-french-toast-eggy-banana-bread/

Softer and they're getting a bit of fruit.

Re choking worries, they'll spit out what they can't chew rather than try to swallow it straight away, they have great gag reflexes. Always supervise them obviously when eating, but toast is a great intro to solid finger foods :)

Thanks a mill for that. I must try this later so - do you just toast regular white bread? i gave him baby pasta at the weekend and i found he didnt really chew it that it ended coming back out of his mouth!

bee06 wrote: »
    This is so true. It’s amazing to see how their natural gag reflex protects them.

I know it's true but I think i'm still so afraid of it like.
    i gave him them mini rice cakes and he was like stuffing it in his mouth and i just wanted to take the bits back out incase hed choke but i know hed be ok but it is probably our gut feelings like

donkey10 wrote: »
    I know it's true but I think i'm still so afraid of it like.
    i gave him them mini rice cakes and he was like stuffing it in his mouth and i just wanted to take the bits back out incase hed choke but i know hed be ok but it is probably our gut feelings like

Oh it’s totally normal to be scared. The joys of being a parent! I was a nervous wreak when we started! He just spit everything straight back out at the start and I was partially delighted because I didn’t have to worry that he’d choke. It does get easier though.

I’ve finally found the secret to being able to enjoy a full cup of tea. Peas and sweet corn for the little man. He’s obsessed. He’d eat them for hours.

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    Oh it’s totally normal to be scared. The joys of being a parent! I was a nervous wreak when we started! He just spit everything straight back out at the start and I was partially delighted because I didn’t have to worry that he’d choke. It does get easier though.

I’ve finally found the secret to being able to enjoy a full cup of tea. Peas and sweet corn for the little man. He’s obsessed. He’d eat them for hours.

Haha isnt it the little things! I'm back at work for the past 3 weeks and it has only been then that I can enjoy the cup of tea! I also tried peas before with himself but he just squished them in his hand :-/

I also tried peas before with himself but he just squished them in his hand :-/

In baby led weaning that’s known as sensory play to make us feel better about all the food that doesn’t get eaten ;)

How are you finding being back at work. I still have 6 weeks left but I’m kind of looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

Back to work in two weeks cant believe how fast the time has gone! My little dude is cruising around!!Still no interest in clap hands though any suggestions of how to encourage it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Try the 'posh clap'. It requires half the effort. It's how we started our one off, worked great.

This is my second week back to work and its grand. I was ready for it I think, its good to get out of the house and my girl loves her childminder so Im happy that shes happy. Weird but the new normal I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Thanks a mill for that. I must try this later so - do you just toast regular white bread? i gave him baby pasta at the weekend and i found he didnt really chew it that it ended coming back out of his mouth!

Yes regular white or wholemeal bread toasted works. For pasta, I actually give her spaghetti or tagliatelle because she'll instinctively bite it to be able to eat it. Gets very messy but she loves it. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh the cup of tea food for us is rice crispies, loves picking them up and talking to them, along with eating them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

We give our one unsalted buttered wholemeal toast. She loves it. Pasta not so much, she's not fond it so much.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Oh the cup of tea food for us is rice crispies, loves picking them up and talking to them, along with eating them

Rice Krispies, interesting! Do you just give them dry?

Herself isnt a fan of the pasta either, I picked up a pack of the smaller AK brand but nope she will take one or two and like that maybe eat one but spit the other out. She does like to play with it though.. I keep thinking coming back to the choking thing, the chap in the course said that a babys windpipe was the size of a mcdonalds stray so they should not be eating anything bigger than that, if that puts anyones mind at ease..

The crispies yep, I just pop a few down on the tray and she loves them.. Between trying to pick them up and put them in her mouth, it gets you a cup of tea or your brekkie on weekend mornings.. I gave them to her in milk too and she likes it..

Milly33 wrote: »
    Herself isnt a fan of the pasta either, I picked up a pack of the smaller AK brand but nope she will take one or two and like that maybe eat one but spit the other out. She does like to play with it though.. I keep thinking coming back to the choking thing, the chap in the course said that a babys windpipe was the size of a mcdonalds stray so they should not be eating anything bigger than that, if that puts anyones mind at ease..

The crispies yep, I just pop a few down on the tray and she loves them.. Between trying to pick them up and put them in her mouth, it gets you a cup of tea or your brekkie on weekend mornings.. I gave them to her in milk too and she likes it..

Was she able to pick them out of the milk?

I made a nice tomato sauce and he really liked it the 2nd day with the pasta. all trial and error I suppose!

I gave him pancakes the other day - he loved them - just made with 1 banana, egg and a tiny bit of ready break. He just nommed them down. Glad to find a new recipe that is still healthy and that he can take as finger food

Yes regular white or wholemeal bread toasted works. For pasta, I actually give her spaghetti or tagliatelle because she'll instinctively bite it to be able to eat it. Gets very messy but she loves it. Hope that helps!

Thanks a mill for that. so much new foods to try with him. have him with the childminder during the week and she says she doesnt want me to give her any food with lumps so i can really only try finger foods or lumper/new foods in the evenings and weekends!

Tried pancakes the other evening and he loved them - 1 egg, banana and a bit of ready brek!

Anyone starting to think about the first birthday parties and Christmas?

I know I am early but I see Smyths and Argos have good deals on at the moment!

Argos 3 for 2, 10 euro off 50 euro shop in Smyths, 10% off everything on ebay.co.uk all day (minimum 50 pound spend).

It's very enticing stuff. Think I may have her presents bought today!

I’d say I’ll only get one or two small things as a token because he’ll be spoilt rotten by everyone else. I don’t want the house full of toys he won’t play with. His favourite “toys” at the moment are a wooden spoon and my measuring cups instead of all the actual toys he has.

• Advertisement

haha the birthday and christmas plans, they will win out... We are just planning a small family get togther here, presant wise for both we arent going mad. Himself already got a itchy sketch thing for her, and she is mad into music so want to get some Luvimals singing pets. I have one that I nicely let her play with sometimes so some of her own would be good. Christmas the same, have asked the nephews to make a pressie for her or to make the muppet for Java i think it is, she loves the song so it would be fun to see her reaction...

No I usd the spoon for her with the crispies so she didnt pick them out but id say she would, might try it this weekend. Have had a busy few days travelling so trying to get back to the finger foods now this week.. While it is lovely to see people the amount of washing and getting stuff done has me wrecked. I applaud ye working ladies, i dont know where i would get the time from if I wasnt working...

I went to Smyths Tuesday and got her birthday and Christmas presents so we're pretty much sorted. Might go get the Joie 360 for hubbies car too.

Im thinking of getting her a trike for her 1st bday. Saw a 14 month old on one recently and she was having greqt craic (these are the half buggy/half bike things). Other than that, she likes her bongo drums and little piano, so might get more instruments for her one woman 'band' :D

We're off to Spain tomorrow early morning and I'm too excited to sleep yet (we start at 4am). Baba won't know what's going on being dragged out of bed (our bed) at that hour, into the car and airport.

Defo trying her on rice Krispies, to extend my tea breaks!!

Best of luck with the flight...

We were kinds looking at the trikes too saw these great ones online that fold up neat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Hi,
    I'm going on hol on Friday with my 9 month old. Any tips on travelling would be really appreciated :)

Hi,
    I'm going on hol on Friday with my 9 month old. Any tips on travelling would be really appreciated :)

We are away right now with our 8.5 month old. I assume you're flying...

-Give yourselves an extra hour more than usual leaving. With babies, time management is tough!
    -if you have a carrier/sling for airport, they're great. Speeds things up rather than having to fold buggy
    -Bring toys/books in airplane bag to distract on takeoff and landing
    -Try not to overload yourselves with cabin luggage. We both had a small backpack each, one for her gear and one for ours/travel documents etc.

Enjoy yourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

We are away right now with our 8.5 month old. I assume you're flying...

-Give yourselves an extra hour more than usual leaving. With babies, time management is tough!
    -if you have a carrier/sling for airport, they're great. Speeds things up rather than having to fold buggy
    -Bring toys/books in airplane bag to distract on takeoff and landing
    -Try not to overload yourselves with cabin luggage. We both had a small backpack each, one for her gear and one for ours/travel documents etc.

Enjoy yourselves!

Yes we are flying out. I don't actually have a sling. Would anyone recommend one? I think it sounds like the easiest option for getting around the airport.

we got the ergo baby but pricey enough unless you get the deal online, the babylo one in Smths was quite good too very easy to put on and for a lot less...

Heading away Sat too for the first flight, cant wait and also a but ahhh. Heading by myself so twill be fun. Just got the Ryanair thing through to say about carry on bags. It say she gets one which i know, and i get one such as a handbag. Was hoping to bring a trolley bag like i do all the time, i can pop my handbag in it, or just not bring one. Are they really strict does anyone know

I have the ergobaby 360 and find it great as well. Have a look on adverts.ie, assuming you’re in Dublin there are a few really good value ergobaby on there. One for €15 which is an absolute steal! It’s old enough based on the logo but maybe better than buying a new one and finding out your baby (or you) hate it.

https://www.adverts.ie/16401017

• Advertisement

Typical the place im off too dont have our formula so any handy packing suggestions, was thinking of measureing all out and putting in a ziplock bag. Just fecked if the bag goes missing.. I was going to put the entire tin in but tis just for a week and it weighs enough

Advertisement