Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Bring more than you think you'll need as if its warmer she might drink more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

haha everywhere is warmer than Loughrea :) oh yes ill bring extra, I would normally give her some reg milk or water if she is still thirsty. Had a thought last night we are flying out from Dublin I wonder if the boots in the airport would stock the formula and i can just buy another on heading over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Milly33 wrote: »
    haha everywhere is warmer than Loughrea :) oh yes ill bring extra, I would normally give her some reg milk or water if she is still thirsty. Had a thought last night we are flying out from Dublin I wonder if the boots in the airport would stock the formula and i can just buy another on heading over

You can check stock levels in Boots stores on the website or maybe order for click and collect?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

I got his xmas presents on Saturday in Smyths - availed of the tenner off 50. Got the push trike yoke for his birthday too. It was 70e. it also had the fold up version but that was 115e but maybe i should have got that for when he is left down at my mother's being minded during the day but i couldnt justify spending that much extra.

this is my first time having to buy baby toys for xmas and i was just amazed by the amount of stuff out there! it is all reasonable too. I can see him getting doubles though from the uncles and aunties!

I love Smyths mind the one here is crap... The toys out there are mad and mostly all the same thing just differant brands... I saw those fold up trikes was thinking of getting one, for travelling.. Did they look good? I really wanted to get this thing called a codeapillar but they have stopped selling. Thanks Bee going to check there and see would they have it

• Advertisement

I love Smyths mind the one here is crap... The toys out there are mad and mostly all the same thing just differant brands... I saw those fold up trikes was thinking of getting one, for travelling.. Did they look good? I really wanted to get this thing called a codeapillar but they have stopped selling. Thanks Bee going to check there and see would they have it

I got this one - https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/trikes/trikes-for-qplay/q-play-comfort-4-in-1trike-grey/p/163453?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-9fDyPHs3QIVDbDtCh2iqgBaEAQYBSABEgLjz_D_BwE
    the fold up one is this one: https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/trikes/trikes-for-qplay/q-play-prime-6-in-1-trike-grey/p/168341?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-9fDyPHs3QIVDbDtCh2iqgBaEAQYAiABEgJIxfD_BwE

Fold up one is handy for travelling - going to park etc.

I havent it opened yet as it is for his birthday but I reckon there is someone out there that has one of these!

Oh very classy looking machine so it is... I know the fold up is pricey but was thinking maybe it could be a gift from all. Be nice to give her something but just dont want people wasting money on silly things and like you say for travelling. Plus i hate clutter so if it folds away nice and easy tis good... I say remembering all the stuff i used to buy for kids...

My sister in law is getting my girl a trike for her birthday/Christmas but havent a clue which one to get. Was gonna get one from Smyths during the sale but wasnt gone on any of them. Anywhere else that would have good prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It does - generally Aptamil, Cow and Gate, SMA and stage 1-3 in each. I usually just buy ready to feed after security or travel with a powder dispenser, particularly when I'm in airports with particularly obnoxious security (Manchester, I'm looking at you...).

@Milly33 where are you heading on hols? My sis in law just booked 4 days in Alicante and we are going the end of November.

Cant believe Ryanair charge €25 each way for a baby! I suppose they are trying to recoup the cost of saying you can bring 2 "free" items of baby equipment on board!

What are you doing with regards bottles and formula?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If your baby fits in your hand luggage they're free :P

If your baby fits in your hand luggage they're free :P
    Haha if only :-D

Oh just back yesterday and well ohh she is just a dream. Kept everyone entertained not annoying entertained but she was very good. Even cut at tooth on the flight and two others on holidays... Yeah the 25 charge for her seat was a bit much now, plus be wary too if you book priorty on the return back you get charged twice for it, not sure why but just left it on the return journey..

All in all i have to say it went quite well, the staff in Dublin were great. I took the ergo with me (in hopes of getting a buggy there) and it was perfect for Dublin as I didnt have to take her out of it while going through the metal check,but on the way back (from Holland) i did but one of the staff called my mum (surprise guest to hold her) as they have scanners there. They were very polite and just asked if they could check her lightly before i handed her over..

The heat on the way back was a killer in the airport so really wished we had a buggy for that but sure it all worked out. If anyone is flying back from Amsterdam with Ryanair note that there is no changing area in the loos closest to the gates, it is horrible you have to go half way the wrong direction.

Have to say all in all now, it went fine.. Tips would be to bring some dettol wipes or something on board to wipe down the table, bring a little bag for rubbish just so tis handy for you while waiting for the staff to come along to collect stuff. Dont bring any annoying loud toys.. I can see why people would be looking annoyed at you with them. Ended up taking some of the pre made formula with me, three for the flight just had them in the plastic bags and there was no questions asked.. Popped them into the bottles just before we took off. Wait until the captain says cabin crew take your seats for take off, them start the bottle...wrekced after from the trip but so enjoyed it

Herself has grown so much in the last week it is crazy. She went from just about crawling to full belt at it, and now is trying to pull up on things, and trying to stand in the cot. Everything from her belly to her hair has just started growing like mad... the fun with keeping up to them.

Has anyone tried the Aldi high chairs? I just spotted them today for 14 they dont seem too bad, i thought they would be a little bulky but not the worst. we wanted to get a second one to leave in the parents house for when we travel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Milly, I have the Ikea-style aldi high chair and it's great for the price. It's solid, stable and easy to clean and put away when not needed.

Thank you Eviledna. Must say after trying out the Ikea one while away I was suprised at how sturdy it was. So mmm might have to go shopping. Just incase anyone is looking they have some in Loughrea..

I have both the Aldi and the Ikea one. The Ikea is definitely better quality but the Aldi one is grand for occasional use. We have it in my moms house.

Milly if you use waterwipes, Lakeshore Pharmacy have 3 for a fiver today

Oh thank you for thinking of me Lashes.. Kinda going down the old natural and biodegrabale route, so use the bambo nature wipes when needed and after that tis a mix coconut oil and lavendar with cotton for the cheekes, cheeks haha..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The Aldi High chair is fine but need to make sure they're strapped in.

Our one is now standing unaided. She's now afraid of the dark though, shes been sleeping in the dark up until a week ago.

• Advertisement

exciting times ahead then cherryghost with the standing,, has she had many bops off of things? Was looking at safety things but jes youd have everything locked up from them, kinda of the mind of teaching her no from the get go? Herself is looking for food a lot more now so next week going to try cutting down some of her bottles and giving more food..hopefully twill go well...

Has she got any better with the dark? There are great little nightlights or bottle lights in the pound shops. They give a nice dim light, we got one as a pressie and just use it when changing her nappy at night or when she gets back from other peoples house just so she isnt freaked out but new rooms etc

She is after getting a little temper on her too when she doesnt get what she wants, like she knows going upstairs during the day is nappy changing time and well the giving out she does, i find singing to her works and keeps her still.. Started teaching her to turn off and on the light in the rooms and she loves it, she cant push the switch but getting her to put her finger on it is just as good..

exciting times ahead then cherryghost with the standing,, has she had many bops off of things? Was looking at safety things but jes youd have everything locked up from them, kinda of the mind of teaching her no from the get go? Herself is looking for food a lot more now so next week going to try cutting down some of her bottles and giving more food..hopefully twill go well...

Has she got any better with the dark? There are great little nightlights or bottle lights in the pound shops. They give a nice dim light, we got one as a pressie and just use it when changing her nappy at night or when she gets back from other peoples house just so she isnt freaked out but new rooms etc

She is after getting a little temper on her too when she doesnt get what she wants, like she knows going upstairs during the day is nappy changing time and well the giving out she does, i find singing to her works and keeps her still.. Started teaching her to turn off and on the light in the rooms and she loves it, she cant push the switch but getting her to put her finger on it is just as good..

Yeah we have a playpen, taking up half the room though, its massive, its about 4mx4m so she's really free to dance around as much as she'd like. She caught on how to stand by propping up against the playpen, but now she's letting go of that and freestanding for about 10 seconds. She's been using for a month or so. We let her out and about the odd time around the kitchen or whatever. A few little bops but nothing too serious.

We tried giving her more water but she's not completely mad for it. We're down to 4 bottles a day of about 200ml a pop. She has bottle+ cereal/yoghurt/toast for breakfast, bottle+ some water, veg, meat and fruit for lunch, bottle mid-late afternoon, and a similarish dinner to us later, before a bottle at bed around 8/9pm, sometimes we apply some bonjela but always we use the dental wipes on her gums. She sleeps til 8/9 without waking through the night (except when we discovered shes afraid of the dark). Between all that she's either in the playpen, out for a walk or spending cuddletime with myself or the OH. That's the usual day for a while now along with 2 naps a day. Bit monotonous but every now and again she does something new and it's great to see. She does swimming once a week, mixed results every week but she loves her baths.

Her bottom teeth have come through without her going mad either. We have the Calpol nightlight that's solved her fright of the dark, which doubles up as a Vapour plug as she's had a few blocked noses recently.

I think we've been really lucky, she's not really been too fussy at all. Only recently its been a bit difficult as the OH is sick and I'm under pressure at work so it's really been quite stressful.

What are the dental wipes? Never came across these ones?

Good idea with the play pen must be so handy to keep her in the one spot and out of danger... Was debating about bring the travel cot down for herself but im kinda around all the time. The swimming sounds lovely, did she float first off?Such a great thing for them to learn to do..

I took my eye off herself for 2 secs today and she was nearly out the back door (i thought I had closed the door in the kitchen) but nope and she was out following the cat out the back door... Had a face bop too today on the tiles I was like nooo you can just feel their pain, and she was having such a great time..

Were about the same as you with the food and bottles, bit less food for her she seems to be a nibbler like me.. Cut one of her bottles today and gave her milk instead and she wasnt too bothered. So down to three 6oz bottles and well brekkie and dinner being the main meals...

Hope the OH recovers from being sick and work eases up for you. If not take you time

These. Was recommended by the public health nurse as we started solids early and it also helps calm her in the evening. She doesn't really like the water all the time. Depends on her mood. She likes swimming with balls and seeing the other babies, but generally gets a bit cranky after a while. We hold her all the time except the odd time where she goes under water through a hoop. Every time she comes back up she looks like she saw the devil down there :D

Your little one sounds like a fast mover alright! I would be stressed out of my mind leaving our one free to crawl around.

Ah bless her... Never say these wipes so shall take a looksie thanks. I noticed the last few mornings her breath was a little smelly, nothing major but maybe with the teeth pusching up it is causing it...

Oh she is indeed but I am always around as such so leaving her off is the best option for me.. I got a massive head butt into the lip this morning from her, the first time i have cried in ages :( it was so sore. No im like right the next time i even feel she is going to do it im ducking..

Looking for recommendations with the car seats - anyone have the Joie 360 spin or the maxi cosi axis fix plus?

the maxi cosi is quite pricey but just wondering with the difference

thanks in advance!

We have the Joie Stages and have to say it is very good, well it looks cozy easy enough to fit in and out. Keep an eye on Halfords and Smyths for them they do good deals. Was going for the 360 but then it has to be isofix so if a car doesnt have it then you can fit it..

donkey10 wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations with the car seats - anyone have the Joie 360 spin or the maxi cosi axis fix plus?

the maxi cosi is quite pricey but just wondering with the difference

thanks in advance!

Do you want to keep your little person rearfacing as long as possible? If you do then the axissfix is only rearfacing until 87cm. Which is not much more than an infant seat. The Joie spin is 105cm. I just got the spin for my moms car and it’s a good seat. I prefer the Axkid minikid I have in my car though. Much easier to get my little boy into.

I have the 360, very handy and it'll do her for years rear facing. Hate the buckle though.

• Advertisement

Skitting here I said I would try the teetha gel instead of the granules, just to see. Was thinking less waste and what not.. Not a hope put some on my finger and was trying to her gums sure she just ate it..

Advertisement