Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Milly33 wrote: »
    Skitting here I said I would try the teetha gel instead of the granules, just to see. Was thinking less waste and what not.. Not a hope put some on my finger and was trying to her gums sure she just ate it..

My fella is the same with the Bonjela, he loves it. And I usually get a good bite then as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh they are funny. Do you manage to get any on his gums then. I was thinking it was cheaper that the sachets and also that maybe putting gel on might get her used to maybe a tooth brush

I have no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Dry the gums with a clean muslin first as the gel wont stick to wet gums. My girl loves her toothbrush and getting her teeth done!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi all,

Love reading all the comments and seeing how all the babies are getting on!

Our LO is mad on the move, crawling standing and started today using her walker/low table/box on wheels to lean on and walk! I couldn’t believe it when I saw her walking herself! All go go go!

Just wondering how the rest of ye are getting on at nighttime and naps? We are having trouble getting herself down esp for me naps are tough going! I feed her to sleep even though bottle is her main source of milk I think I’m just a comfort thing! Anyway at night have ye sorted putting your littlest ones into cot and say good night? Are they settling themselves or do they need help? She’s comepletely parent dependent on getting to sleep initially and it’s getting tiring! Just wondering what other do!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Our one takes two naps a day at the mo, we don't feed her. We generally give her a bit of a cuddle then put her down. She stays awake fora bout 10 mins then falls asleep.

she wont even let me see her teeth half the time lashes, id say she would try and eat the cloth in all haha. Think well have to go back to the sachets..And thanks for the tip on the brushing. Was thinking of getting those wipes for now we shall see..Finally got cot bar bumper pads today for her cot (ordered from Baby Elegance online they were great) my mind is at ease for a bit the bumper was driving me bonkers

Im with you Pocos love all the updates so i do. Herself has started to tackle the stairs now and in fairness she gets all the way to the top (it is a great workout) with me of course behing incase she topples. We have a stair gate at the top but none at the bottom, kinda going for the well teach her from day one how to manage the stairs, and i am here all the time so tis easier.

Must say she is a dinger with naps, she goes down at 1 for either an hour or hour and half. She might have a little nibble before but mostly not, just food no bottle. Then bed for 7. We started all the routine early though and this is where i think it has paid off. Dad brings her up at 7 or quater too, gets her ready for bed nappy changed. Then she has the bottle in the room with the lights off and then into bed. She normally is fine unless she has a pain or if she is too activated, then i normally rock her a little bit with a song. Had a few nigthmares but kinda left her at it to settle herself

Does she just have one nap a day now Milly? My fellas still on two but usually only around 45 mins each so works out the same I suppose. It’s a great lesson teaching them how to tackle the stairs if she ever does get there unknown to you. I’m working on teaching my fella how to get off the sofa safely because he likes to throw himself off head first at the moment.

Pocos, I’m not much help. I feed to sleep for everything, naps, bedtime, middle of the night.

I’m back to work on Monday so that’s another milestone. The year has gone so fast!

Best of luck heading back to work Bee06, well done to you...Well technically I suppose she has two naps but they are in the morning. She wakes at 7 and we give her a bottle then she goes back to bed until around 9.30 or 10..Im so not taking that one away from here as neither of us are morning people. Then she has the nap at one and thats it till bed time...

God the sofa sounds scarier than the stairs, bless i hope he hasnt got too many knocks. Tis amazing at how much they do bop their heads and dont give out about it. Plus how fast they are to learn.

Do you keep the room dark and that for the naps Pocos, thats the only thing i can think off or there is always letting them settle themselves too. Tis hard but so worth it when they can do it

I’m always holding him so far so he’s never actually fell yet but I’m thinking of when he’s bigger and can climb up by himself and then launches himself off. It’s gas alright and I’m surprised at how relaxed I am about it. Before he started standing I thought I’d be a nervous wreak about him falling but they have to fall to learn how to save themselves. Can’t wrap them in bubble wrap!

• Advertisement

Im with you on that, every time she went at the start i was like nooooo quick catch her. But they learn so fast, for about two days she thought it was gas when you chased her crawling but she would get too excited then and kinda smack her head down on the tiles ( in laughter) but she learned that hurt so now she holds her head up.. Clever out they are... Have a lovely weekend everyone hope ye are all indoors with this weather

Thanks ladies for the replies! Milky yes the room has a low light on and black outs on windows so is quite dark during the day and the night/morning! I think she just loves sleeping beside us! Like if I put her into the cot to go to sleep she loses her life and roars crying! If it’s me she just wants to be fed to sleep and if it’s my husband! Not sure how we are gonna stop the parent dependency she has!

Bee I actually feel better to hear someone else feeds to sleep! I just assumed it was me and everyone else I talk to seems to have it sorted! How will your little one sleep when you are in work? fiadhs naps aren’t great either 40 mins usually! I think that’s cos I feed her to sleep! If I go to bed with her she sleeps much longer! For example today she napped for 2.5 Hours but I was beside her and she has been sick!

Thanks ladies for the replies! Milky yes the room has a low light on and black outs on windows so is quite dark during the day and the night/morning! I think she just loves sleeping beside us! Like if I put her into the cot to go to sleep she loses her life and roars crying! If it’s me she just wants to be fed to sleep and if it’s my husband! Not sure how we are gonna stop the parent dependency she has!

Bee I actually feel better to hear someone else feeds to sleep! I just assumed it was me and everyone else I talk to seems to have it sorted! How will your little one sleep when you are in work? fiadhs naps aren’t great either 40 mins usually! I think that’s cos I feed her to sleep! If I go to bed with her she sleeps much longer! For example today she napped for 2.5 Hours but I was beside her and she has been sick!

Pocos, almost every breastfeeding mom I know in real life and on Facebook groups feed to sleep. It’s biologically normal. I’m a firm believer than my little fella will fall asleep by himself when he’s ready to. I won’t be feeding him to sleep when he’s in secondary school! Cosleeping is also perfectly normal if that works for you.

When I’m not here my husband gets him to sleep by walking around and my mom (who will be minding him when I’m working) has her own method (rocking and singing I think).

Sarah Ockwell Smith has a great book and some blogs on the subject.

bee06 wrote: »
    Pocos, almost every breastfeeding mom I know in real life and on Facebook groups feed to sleep. It’s biologically normal. I’m a firm believer than my little fella will fall asleep by himself when he’s ready to. I won’t be feeding him to sleep when he’s in secondary school! Cosleeping is also perfectly normal if that works for you.

When I’m not here my husband gets him to sleep by walking around and my mom (who will be minding him when I’m working) has her own method (rocking and singing I think).

Sarah Ockwell Smith has a great book and some blogs on the subject.

Thanks bee I know it’s normal and totally natural but I’m kinda done! Like she had been go to being put to sleep either by myself or my husband (rocked!) but has started to kick up when he tries putting her to bed!
    We struggled getting her onto bottles so I was the only one putting her to her for a long time! I suppose i enjoyed the mental pressure of not being the only person able to put her to sleep!

Also would like to start thinking about trying again but no period yet so need to give up before that comes back! Thanks though for advice! Hard to know what’s the right thing to do

Ahh sorry, I thought you were worried that she should be able to self soothe at this stage. I totally get what you’re saying about the pressure though, it would be nice to have the option of actually leaving the house and leave bedtime to someone else once in a while! I kinda feel like I’ll get to one then decide what to do. Like you, we want to start trying again sooner rather than later because of my age and how long it took to get pregnant the first time.

Ahh sorry, I thought you were worried that she should be able to self soothe at this stage. I totally get what you’re saying about the pressure though, it would be nice to have the option of actually leaving the house and leave bedtime to someone else once in a while! I kinda feel like I’ll get to one then decide what to do. Like you, we want to start trying again sooner rather than later because of my age and how long it took to get pregnant the first time.

We are the same took a year the first time so I’d like Fiadh to have a sibling close in age! So the feeding gotta go and will if I stop feeding her to sleep! But she expects it now so I’m not sure how to stop! I pretty much was hoping she would go off the idea herself but not happening these days!

If anything it’s gotten worse :( I do enjoyed it but need to start thinking about the future too!

Any suggestions would be really appreciated?!

We are the same took a year the first time so I’d like Fiadh to have a sibling close in age! So the feeding gotta go and will if I stop feeding her to sleep! But she expects it now so I’m not sure how to stop! I pretty much was hoping she would go off the idea herself but not happening these days!

If anything it’s gotten worse :( I do enjoyed it but need to start thinking about the future too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If you get pregnant, the breastmilk often dries up or changes taste due to different hormones which can often naturally stop the feeding.....
    Anecdotally I have heard that from quite a few mums.

Pocos wrote: »

This is a book that’s recommended a lot in the BF Facebook group I’m in for weaning off feeding to sleep.

https://www.easons.com/the-no-cry-sleep-solution-elizabeth-pantley-9780071381390

• Advertisement

Would you try the bottle again Pocos. Maybe try a differant brand or try it over two weeks and see if it would work. Could express the milk. I know I am not breastfeeding now and we did start everything early, but used to give her the bottle in the morning and evening and himself would do it. Really for this reason and also so that he would have time with her and she was dependant on me.. Best of luck with it, persistance will pay off..

Hi all

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I didn’t make myself clear we got Fiadh to take bottle at 7.5 months (she’s now 10 months!) so I would consider her milk needs are met by the bottle! She takes 3 bottles now morning, lunch and before bed! So when she feeds from me it’s a total comfort thing! It’s literally 5 mins, and off to sleep! I tend to feed in the middle of the night and maybe once during the day to put her to sleep for a nap! (I either work am/pm so only here for one nap!) so it’s one feed per boob so not a lot!

My original post was more on how people get their babies to sleep? Like she wakes at least twice a night and we feel it’s how we put her to sleep, completely parent dependent!

I suppose she will grow out of it eventually just felt at 10 months we’d be getting a full sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Pocos wrote: »

I suppose she will grow out of it eventually just felt at 10 months we’d be getting a full sleep!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but don’t expect to have a consistent sleeper until she 3. There will of course be periods where they will sleep but until age 3 there are sleep regressions and development spurts that will have most children waking for months on end. Also sleep isn’t linear so they don’t start sleeping through the night at 8/10/12 months or whatever and that’s it. They might sleep for a week or a month and then regress for whatever reason. It’s nothing you are doing wrong and nothing you can control. Your baby is an individual and is going to do what suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Absolutely floored by a vomiting bug. Baby had it since Friday but shes ok now. I got hit with it yesterday evening. Barely able to move, such a bad dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

My lads are a year older and I stillfeed tosleep. But beginning to see signs of them being more independent. Anecdotally periods seemed to return at fifteen months for a lot of people. They did for me anyway even with feeding twins.

Sorry to hear lashes hope you are begining to feel better..And your little one is over it all. Must say I kinda get the shivers thinking about stuff like that, how did you handle her getting sick? Was it even if she was down for a nap she would be sick? I can deal with some things not fully sure how i would be with this. And their faces i can imagine it must be so scay for them...

Anne_cordelia god three sounds like a long time away to be a good sleeper :), i just dont get this as have to say herself is a dinger but again she was in routine from the get go, firm believer in it and it has paid off so far.. Have you tried soothers pocos then for bedtime? I know tis another thing to wean off as such but if it was just used for bed time might be worth a shot. Currently trying to get herslef off them as tis a bit of a game now her throwing it out of the cot. doing well during the day but she still likes it at night...

Moved her cot down to the last stage this weekend, she seems so far away but was worried she would go overboard.. Changing her now is getting fun as I just about reach to the end of the cot... Got her her birthday pressies too and have the trike picked out in smyths must just wait till next month to pick it up. I cant wait to decorate the house as we took her shopping at the weekend and her face with all the lights was just so well you could cry it was so cute

Glad he ws good on the flight for ye how long was it then. I had herself on about an hour one and she was the same flirting with everyone who would pay attention. Thank god the airline said they will pay i hope they do quickly for ye... Was it a big car seat or the maxi cozy

OSI wrote: »
    2 flights each way with the longest being 7 hours :o We booked the bassinet for the 2 long legs but he hated so spent no more than 30 seconds in it.

Was a MaxiCosi alright with the IsoFix base. Dopes in Dublin Airport tried to say it was "wear and tear"

It probably sounds like a strange thing to say but at least it was obviously damaged. We took ours abroad as well and my fear was/is that it would be dropped and damaged internally but it wouldn’t be known.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Milly33 wrote: »

Anne_cordelia god three sounds like a long time away to be a good sleeper :), i just dont get this as have to say herself is a dinger but again she was in routine from the get go, firm believer in it and it has paid off so far..

In my experience with friends and my own, the ‘good’ sleepers as babies end up not sleeping for periods around 1.5/2/3. Obviously there will be some exceptions (and not talking about anyone who has sleep trained), I’m speaking generally but most people end up putting in their hours awake at night at some stage

• Advertisement

Wear and Tear haha they will try anything.. Darn that the isofix was part of it but very lucky as bee said that there was obvious damage done to it.. 7 hours jes that is fantastic with him... A dream...

Advertisement