Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would have zero expectations of continuous runs of full night's sleep up to maybe 14 months, and then after that you might get a few days, then a few broken nights then a few good nights and so on til maybe 2/2.5.
    And my kids would probably be considered very good sleepers.My first is very good, second hit and miss (she's 2.5 and we seem to be having a good stretch now...touch wood) and no.3 at 6 months sleeps 8-7 but he does stir awake on and off and some nights he chats for a while in the AM hours.It'll catch you somewhere.The problem is not really how often they wake, (because they do) it's how easily and quickly you can get them back to sleep, and that one is on you as a parent to sort out really.
    The kicker is having one child who sleeps great and them your second or third comes along...and they do not sleep!!!!That's tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

.The problem is not really how often they wake, (because they do) it's how easily and quickly you can get them back to sleep, and that one is on you as a parent to sort out really.

How do you expect parents to “sort that out”???

Thanks everyone for the replies! I knew there would be periods of restlessness and poor sleep but we have had it nearly non stop (3 nights she’s slept a full night!) from week 28 till now week 45!

When I was off it was more manageable but now with work it’s taking Its toll!

Thanks I do feel better with your replies and appreciate people taking the time to help out!

Bee vomiting bug must be heart breaking to see! Their poor little bodies!

Anne_cordelia god three sounds like a long time away to be a good sleeper :), i just dont get this as have to say herself is a dinger but again she was in routine from the get go, firm believer in it and it has paid off so far.. Have you tried soothers pocos then for bedtime? I know tis another thing to wean off as such but if it was just used for bed time might be worth a shot. Currently trying to get herslef off them as tis a bit of a game now her throwing it out of the cot. doing well during the day but she still likes it at night...

Milky thank for reply! Yes I am so torn over soother! Whether to start one but we’ve gotten this far would it be silly to introduce.. like I would be replacing one sleep dependent help (ie rocking to sleep!) with a soother! It’s so hard to know what to do!

Also i find the tireder I’m getting the harder it is to think straight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Maybe they mean how you address is as such, like going to soothe the little one or leaving them cry it out.. Ah either way sure there are always rights and wrongs so just do what you feel is best for ye...

Really trying to get into the headspace here of the wintery weather coming in... Just to say Get out there go for a walk, rather than being stuck inside all day.. Love the winter but tis so windy here and wild it gets a bit much..

Sorry we replied the same time, I know i hated the idea of the soother and was saying nope but it worked.. It hasnt been too bad weaning her off it during the day to be honest. Sure if needs be it might not be the worst idea. I hope you get some ease soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Pocos wrote: »
    .The problem is not really how often they wake, (because they do) it's how easily and quickly you can get them back to sleep, and that one is on you as a parent to sort out really.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I knew there would be periods of restlessness and poor sleep but we have had it nearly non stop (3 nights she’s slept a full night!) from week 28 till now week 45!

When I was off it was more manageable but now with work it’s taking Its toll!

Thanks I do feel better with your replies and appreciate people taking the time to help out!

Bee vomiting bug must be heart breaking to see! Their poor little bodies!

Warning gross generalisations ahead ....
    11-13 months is particularly painful. And there is nothing you can do or nothing you are doing wrong. Around 14-16 months is a wonderful sliver of hope. Then bam comes the worst sleep regression since 4 months along with terrible behaviour. It’s a tough stage until 18/19 months. Sleep improves a little but not a whole pile. Then 2-2.5 is overall pretty good. Then another sleep regression around 2.5 but it’s not as bad and might only be a couple of nights a week. Then around 3 the nights are peaceful oasis of calm after the **** storm that is the three-nanger all day. Hold on tight!!

• Advertisement

I hope she is s sleeper all the time. I was and still am not a good sleeper, will maybe get one week of proper sleep and then back to the norm. Tried everything for it, which have to say the best one is this Lullaby Milk which im delighted is coming back to Aldi for always this time. If anyone is a bad sleeper here (parent wise) give it a try, it does work. It is great to see them taking off as they are a loverly company...

Anywho super proud of herself she has got the sign for milk!! Now she has used it a few times before but she really understands it now.. I was just like child genius....

Anne_cordeilla I’m happy to hear that there are phases which are crap and nothing I’m doing is gonna make a difference! Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

OSI wrote: »
    2 flights each way with the longest being 7 hours :o We booked the bassinet for the 2 long legs but he hated so spent no more than 30 seconds in it.

Was a MaxiCosi alright with the IsoFix base. Dopes in Dublin Airport tried to say it was "wear and tear"

Who did ye fly with? Whats the best thing to do on take off - is it to have them drinkin the bottle? Headin away myself on friday to alicante and just worried about the whole ear popping thing!!

OSI wrote: »
    2 flights each way with the longest being 7 hours :o We booked the bassinet for the 2 long legs but he hated so spent no more than 30 seconds in it.

Was a MaxiCosi alright with the IsoFix base. Dopes in Dublin Airport tried to say it was "wear and tear"

Who did ye fly with? Whats the best thing to do on take off - is it to have them drinkin the bottle? Headin away myself on friday to alicante and just worried about the whole ear popping thing!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

We're doing a 14 hour flight next Summer... dreading it. It'll be 30 hour total trip time each way.

• Advertisement

Oh god that sounds like a long enough flight for adults not to mind with a baby, i hope it goes great...

I done the bottle thing on the way up and landing and it was great. Also had some of this calming camomile stuff, now it was a bit messy dipping the soother and i tasted it myself thought twas pretty rank, but she liked it.. One note was dont start the bottle until the ask the cabin crew to take their seats for take off and landing.. I was waiting and watching the crew like a hawk for the first trip to know when to give her the bottle got it wrong and had to take it off her as we hadnt taken off yet, and well she doesnt like that to happen

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Pocos wrote: »

What I mean is that the baby will wake, but you support them in learning how to go back to sleep and keep them in some sort of habit of knowing the night is for sleeping rather than being up for a play (I don't mean cry it out), so by going in and out and resettling, or sitting with them or whatever you chose to do.

It's the difference I suppose between accepting a baby wakes and not viewing it as a "wrong" thing; just something that happens and you have to help them the develop the skills to resettle, and it takes time.

The periods can be endless.And like most things parenting it's hardest on the parents!

(Edit:glad I'm not the only one to find the threenager stage is a s$&t storm)

Milly33 wrote: »
    Oh god that sounds like a long enough flight for adults not to mind with a baby, i hope it goes great...

I done the bottle thing on the way up and landing and it was great. Also had some of this calming camomile stuff, now it was a bit messy dipping the soother and i tasted it myself thought twas pretty rank, but she liked it.. One note was dont start the bottle until the ask the cabin crew to take their seats for take off and landing.. I was waiting and watching the crew like a hawk for the first trip to know when to give her the bottle got it wrong and had to take it off her as we hadnt taken off yet, and well she doesnt like that to happen

did you bring formula in the tin with you? Do you know can you bring an opened tin or does it have to be an unopened box? I'm trying to find somewhere that will tell me but cant!

I took the premade formula with me. Just took the small bottles of it which was great. Then you dont have to worry about heating or the water... Where are you flying out from, we found a great video on the Dublin Airport site ill try find it there... Have you checked out can you get your formula also where you are going, if not and you dont want to bring a tin Boots do have some in Dublin airport.. Also watch the water where-ever you are going. I know I could not drinkt the tap water ever in Holland, and even though the water was boiled herself belly was very upset (poo wise) and then I started to use the bottled water and it was much better

Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugenbta2aBw I will say id say those changing units they show in the video must only be in the VIP places as I thought they were great when looking at the video but sure didnt come across any.

Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugenbta2aBw I will say id say those changing units they show in the video must only be in the VIP places as I thought they were great when looking at the video but sure didnt come across any.

Cheers for that. Flying from Shannon. I have the ready made cartons but will need formula as going for 4 days. Going to alicante so will have to get bottled water

Ah i see, well if you have a checked in bag sure pop it into that. I just put it into a zip lock bag and wrapped it in tinfoil haha it did look a bit dodge..

Ah i see, well if you have a checked in bag sure pop it into that. I just put it into a zip lock bag and wrapped it in tinfoil haha it did look a bit dodge..

Was that in the hand baggage or checked baggage? I emailed SMA helpline and I asked could I put it into the travel containers and they said it is best to keep it in the tin as airlines dont like to see powder and also cross contamination.

I wanted to bring it in the travel containers as I know i dont need an awful lot and didnt want to have to bring the tin

That was in checked in baggage.. I wouldnt really be worrying about cross contamination (id say they have to say that to cover their own arses as such) just incase anything happened. All up to yourself mind what you prefer to do

That was in checked in baggage.. I wouldnt really be worrying about cross contamination (id say they have to say that to cover their own arses as such) just incase anything happened. All up to yourself mind what you prefer to do

Ya i was thinkin the same they are only covering themselves. Think ill go with travel containers. Sure urs was grand in zip lock bags ya

• Advertisement

yep it was grand. I took the scoop with it so measuring out was all ok. I just done as many scoops as i needed and then a little extra to be sure, to be sure...

yep it was grand. I took the scoop with it so measuring out was all ok. I just done as many scoops as i needed and then a little extra to be sure, to be sure...

Just thinking what if the checked in baggage got lost!!!
    Wouldnt w3 be screwed for formula then!

haha you are thinking the worst, has it happened before? Have you checked out any place in Alicante to see if they would have the formula or close on it.. Or you could ask just before checking in the bag if you could take it hand luggage

haha you are thinking the worst, has it happened before? Have you checked out any place in Alicante to see if they would have the formula or close on it.. Or you could ask just before checking in the bag if you could take it hand luggage

Watched ur video there again and the guy in it has the formula in the travel containers and said they were ok to bring so ill bring it on the hand luggage

Whoop your all sorted then, mind at ease..

Is anyone else kinda feeling like hummff.. I must say last year i was so excited and all ready for christmas at this stage and just loving everything and lately im just kinda like hummmf stuck in a rut

Yes milly I kinda am stuck in a rut regarding Christmas! Finding it hard to get into the festive spirit!!

On a better note Fiadh has started sleeping through the night :) started on Sunday and has slept every night since! And I can honestly say we did nothing different it just seemed to click with her!! Babies can be so confusing! But by god it makes some difference to your day once you get a full nights sleep... she probably won’t sleep tonight now I’ve wrote it!!!

:) I know tis the minute you say it, they sense it? Oh so happy for you that she is sleeping through for ye.. Whooop thats a celebration if anything. Sorry i actually thought Fiadh was a boys name, my own bad i am not as good with the Irish as well fine i was never..

Just about begining to get festive, a little bit but finding it hard still just wanna have someone come in and do the decorating

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Toy Show tonight will fix at all :D

• Advertisement

Oh i am nearly ready for it. mind every year it annoys me with the songs the kids doo

Advertisement