Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

fits wrote: »
    Is it recommended to get the flu vaccine if not in a vulnerable group? I had flu a few years ago and don’t care to catch it again.

I think they’re recommending everyone to get it this year because of the swine flu. Last year when I was pregnant was the first year I ever got it but my thinking this year is if I do get the flu I could pass it on then. They were giving them free at work as well so it was very straight forward for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah the 12mth isnt too bad, just the high temp with out little one. And the poops have been pretty bad aswell... Not off form at all though, and only one reall sore leg.. Never got the flu jab myself something I just dont like about it, I had it a few times but nothing too bad...

If anyone out there is looking for a portable highchair too take a look here, my sister got me one for Christmas and they are fantastic.https://totseat.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Fits I got one last year while pregnant for the first time ever.
    The flu seemed to lay a lot of people really low in Jan last year, it fairly cut a swathe through our office anyway.I got it again this year on the basis that I don't want to be looking after three kids while sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

My poor baby is not getting a break with her teeth. She got 4 molars over the space of a week before Christmas and now she has two more coming at the front. That'll be 14 of them. She's tormented the poor thing. I know we'll be glad when they're all up or we get good break from them, its just constant at the minute. Its hard watching her in pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 decmum

Hi thanks for the reply, yep he can sit up for hours on his own, he can go from sitting up to lying down himself, he has started to use his hands and arms to push himself back up, he is able to wriggle his way from my lap to a standing position, he isn't pointing or waving yet, he has been sick for the past 4 weeks with a headcold and he hasn't had much chat out of him, I hope he is alright, it's hard when they tell you he should be doing this and that it makes you question yourself, I reckon myself he is about 3 months behind other kids maybe because he was 3 months old before he was diagnosed with lactose intolerant. I hope your lad is getting on ok
    fits wrote: »
    Is he sitting up well decmum? Can he get from lying to sitting on his own? Sounds similar to one of my twins a year ago. It’s good that you are being seen. We saw the cmo at 15 months. But only saw a good paediatrician at 23 months. Is your boy pointing or waving? They’d be milestones to look out for in next couple of months. My boy is delayed but progressing well. It’s hard to know if it will be a long term issue or not. Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes my lad found his legs at the weekend. And is flying around now. I couldn’t even put him down to stand independently a week ago. Big change. He crawled at 14 months and was able to push up to sitting around the same time. He has hypermobility issues

It’s just something to keep an eye on as next developmental check can be at two.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

decmum wrote: »
    Hi ladies haven't been on here for a while, my lad was 1 the 11/12, he still isn't crawling, he rolls himself, not much words only dada and ma ma, the cmo did his 9 month check up and has him attending physio, she also sent him to a paedeatrician who said he was underweight, he has always been underweight 2% centile they both gave different reasons for sending him to physio and the paeds wants to see him again in april, also should the phn not done the 9 month check-up should I be worried is there something they are not telling me?

My daughter was 1 that day to :)
    She was 3 weeks early and she doesn't crawl but she's pulls her self up to stand holding stuff, She doesn't have much word either,
    They all do things in there own time ,

I don't think they would be trying to hide form telling you something but if you have any issues make sure you ask don't be shy about it,

whoop congrats Fits... No stopping him now...

God herself is great and a dream baby but nappy changing time has turned into such an ordeal.. She is grand but the min i lie her back to change the nappy she starts the crying or the temper tantrum.. Any suggestions, i have tried singing which used to work, giving her something to play with, even sang that horrid iggle piggle song the last day and nope...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Milly33 wrote: »
    whoop congrats Fits... No stopping him now...

God herself is great and a dream baby but nappy changing time has turned into such an ordeal.. She is grand but the min i lie her back to change the nappy she starts the crying or the temper tantrum.. Any suggestions, i have tried singing which used to work, giving her something to play with, even sang that horrid iggle piggle song the last day and nope...

Hi milly,

This pretty much been our experience since our LO has been 6 months! She just hates nappy changes!

So different things have worked at different stages! Singing songs, giving her a toy to okay with, then we went on to YouTube on tv and watching a video distracted her! That’s now finished and the latest is one of us (usually me) lies down beside her and reads a book to her while my husband charges her nappy! Not ideal and obv need two people for this! But when you are solo you still give her the book and you talk through it as the changing is going on! Seems to engage her and anything to encourage reading!

That’s what working at the minute! Next month who knows!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Our daughter goes into the tent we made her when she poops, then comes out, cries a bit for a nappy change :D

Thanks Pocos might try the book with her, god it really is a bit ahhhh sometimes. And it was be so much easier and quicker if we just gone on with it haha but suppose sure she doesnt know that.. The things we do... Sounds like you little miss has it all sussed then cherryghost she has a pooping spot ( i wonder would that be the place for the old potty when the time comes) god i dread the potty business would much prefer she goes straight to the toilet..

Bless i think she has picked up her first kinda nasty cold now, she has a little cough and all to go with it.. We have all come down with it so twas only time but ohh. She seems to have a lot of salvia too and gave us a little fright tonight i think it just went with her breath and she got such a fright.. Any natural kinda cough remedies for babies does anyone know? Just incase we need it...

has anyone tried the 3 plus formula milk... Picked some up the last day and completly put off it that it appers more like a milkshake than milk..

Milky I haven’t tried the formula so no help on that front sorry!

Olbus oil we found great when our LO has a cold. How is sleep going? When our little one couldn’t sleep we had her on a pillow in the bed beside us which kept her slightly upright! It really helped her sleep cos she would first start off in the cot and wake up all upset as she would get so caught up!

Best of luck with it! Very hard to see them sick!

thanks Pocos, Olbus oil i must put on the list.. I was laughing to myself as I was trying to think of things to help her and sure stupidly you get caught up in the product side like calpol and that (which is another question does anyone know off hand if sorbitol is in the reg calpol also)... Even went and got fine the buttercup cough bottle for myself but sure, i could have just made thyme and lemon drink...

What did ye do with the Olbus oil then Pocos? the lady in the chemist said putting a little of the vicks on her feet could help too just like us.. She isnt actually too bad just sneezing and has a little cough, but it is disruppting her sleep. She is very hit and miss she slept last night at 7 but was up around 11 until 1.30 id say, then up at 8.30 this morning (shock to us all haha)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

OSI wrote: »
    We put the baby vapo rub on his feet under socks (I was led to believe Vicks was too strong for babies?) and a tiny bit on his chest. Certainly helped loosen up his nose and chest. We also bought one of those room humidifiers, just don't add anything to the water.

We did all of this and it worked well.

There is also an over the counter honey & lemon medicine in the pharmacy which seems to help clear their throat.
    Unfortunately it was just a matter of suffering through the difficult nights, that gradually got easier. Our LO used to wake up after a few hours all caught up from lying down flat in bed. Then I used to walk around the house with her kept upright. Finally, I put her in the bed beside me with her back and head propped up on the pillow.. this used to get me another hour or two :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Our daughter has been off formula for about 3 weeks now, just on the cows milk, water and the odd juice. Luckily she hasn't fell ill (yet), she had a stubborn cold before November but that's been it

Same here. I haven't come across anything she doesnt like, she really likes my lasagna though :)

Great to hear that the formula is going. I was going to cut back on hers and was kinda suggested that we wait until the good weather is back. But haha i shall start it is so costly getting it and if she doesnt need it.. She does love her bottles though, so would work on cutting down to two..

Thanks for all the tips must see about the honey and lemon tonic that sounds interesting..She isnt the worst lately but sleep patterns are all over the place and off her food which is very strange

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Milly I have found 13/14 months is a funny time.They seem to stop eating, it's very strange but so far both my girls have done it.I assume it's developmental, they go from eating great, to pushing everything away and after a couple of weeks, they suddenly start to eat again no bother.Both mine started to demand the spoon themselves at that stage too.I never really figured it out, teeth or something but it seems to happen around that age.
    Calpol do a plug in for stuffy noses.It is an absolute godsend.But mostly you do just suffer through.

• Advertisement

Thanks Shesty, what you are saying does sound like what the little miss is up too. She has been looking to feed herself more normally I give her another spoon and in fairness she is getting there. Just dont do it every day as we would be waiting a long long time for the little genius to stop putting some of the food up her nose haha...Just another phase then tis good to know it isnt the food.

Do you know the name of this honey & lemon medicine Bally would be interested in looking it up

Milly33 wrote: »
    Do you know the name of this honey & lemon medicine Bally would be interested in looking it up

At work at the moment, but will send on the name later.

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier or not, but we also used a nasal spray which also seemed to offer a bit of relief.. it really is a guessing game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Anyone gotten their baby's hair cut yet? My 1 year old has a lot of hair (nearly touching her shoulders). I'm in two minds about whether to let it keep growing or not, she's getting a few split ends 🀔

Perfect thank you Ballyv, nothing like a good recommendation. I shall check it out...

Haha first haircuts, so far herself has had 3 trims and 2cuts to keep her hair tidy, she was blessed with a full head of it from day one.. I just do it when she is in the bath or I put the full bib on her and give her a lega or something to distract her,

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I dont think my girl will need a haircut til she's three! She has a bit of a mullet going on but very little on top! Probably had more on top when she was born.

Milly we got the Pharmony Throat Syrup and found it good.

When do we bring them to the dentist? She has so many teeth I don't know if we are meant to get her used to it soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

mojesius wrote: »
    Anyone gotten their baby's hair cut yet? My 1 year old has a lot of hair (nearly touching her shoulders). I'm in two minds about whether to let it keep growing or not, she's getting a few split ends ��

Our little girl hair is mental haha, Its down to her shoulders at 13 months and she needs to where a hair clip to keep it out of her eyes ,
    Thankfully she doesn't mind it and leave's it in ,

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Hey folks havent been on in a while - have been so up the walls with work etc!!

I'm using this to vent!

Anyways long story short the MIL constantly kisses himself (12 months gone) and last Friday he ended up coming down with a cold sore. She had one 2 weeks ago - a really nasty one and was still kissing him, I was fuming and had to get hubbie to tell her to stop coz of the cold sore as I didnt think it was my place to do it!

Damage is done now I am so fuming and so is hubbie but I think he is kicking himself that he didnt tell her sooner. He gave out to her on the phone on friday after I had him at the doctor. Shes obviously is feeling sorry for herself now as she didnt come near the house all weekend but the hubbie's sister rang last night shouting at him for giving out to the mother about kissing our baby and spreading infection. Like seriously!! I was so mad at him for not reacting worse on the phone to her but he remained so calm with her!!

The sister has no kids of her own so I reckon she doesnt understand the implications. Like if it was a cold or a cough you would get over it but i am so annoyed that now he has a cold sore virus in his system for life. It could have been potentially life threatning had he been younger.

Am I overreacting? I suppose how do I deal with the next time she comes into the house at this stage. Obviously she meant no harm by what she was doing it but seriously have some cop when you have a massive cold sore.

I want to stop all kissing now - all his family do it and I cant stand it but i never have the balls to tell them to stop. Noone knows what anyone is carrying.

I had the exact same issue a number of months back where she was babysitting him and she fed him calpol for no reason when he woke from his sleep and started carrying. Again she didnt like it when hubbie told her not to do that - that if there is an issue she should be ringing us to come back from where we are. The answer i got back then was "i have reared 5 children" so to keep things civil i had just said yes i know but if he is crying the next time and youc ant get him to stop call us back! However i think this is a different story he now has a cold sore virus for life and it is all because she didnt have the sense to stop kissing him.

Rant over peeps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I don’t think you are over reacting. I’d be raging as well. She should have enough cop on to know she shouldn’t be kissing anyone when she has a cold sore never mind a baby!

• Advertisement

I think I remember your post donkey about the calpol too when you were out!

I did know it was dangerous for babies to get cold sores! But didn’t realise they would have the virus for life once they get one!

Yes you aren’t over reacting and I’d be very annoyed! But as you said she didn’t do it on purpose, so maybe try to be calm chatting to her next and said you understand she didn’t mean any harm but maybe the kissing can stop now!

Advertisement