Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need helpfull advice

Options
  • 06-04-2017 7:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10

I'm trying to dig out shrubs that have been in the ground for 10 years. I have a spade and a fork. The fork ends bent badly. they were both just bought. it's fair hard trying to dig the earth. It's taking me ages to get the bushes out. I'm even using a knife to cut the roots off as they have 10 years of growth holding on.

any advice I can get them out? limited funds...

1zns97a.jpg
    2uglx6a.jpg
    bed8w2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Absolutely soak the ground and keep wriggling them. Keep the house running at the base.

Or... pull them up with car and rope.

Or chop the roots off around the base with an axe. You'll blunt it off stones but who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mickward

Paint a little roundup or equivalent on the leaves with a paint brush, let them die back for 2 to 3 weeks. then soak the ground well before you start to dig. dig around the plant as opposed to trying to get under it to start.
    I use a strong pair of secateurs and an old handsaw which I use to cut the roots, and lift the plant away.
    I am afraid there is nothing but a bit of grunt work to get shot of them.

The rope and the car will work too, but be careful where you tie the rope too :D

I would use a pickaxe and an axe. Use the axe on the roots once you get deep enough.

Did a similar job a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Use the tree on the footpath to pull them out with a Rope Puller Kit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree about the pickaxe, give you much more leverage. The tree on the verge is nowhere near big enough to use!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Cut the top off completely. Dig right around them to loosen the earth - not just beside them but a good wide swath. Don't try to lift them with a fork! Go right around under them. Then go after the roots one by one, spading under them then pulling them out. The tap root will be the hardest - I sometimes just chomp that off and leave it to rot.

Advertisement