Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote desktop connection

Options
  • 06-04-2017 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

if i went into starbucks and used this application, could i access other peoples laptops without them knowing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

JoeyPeeps wrote: »
    if i went into starbucks and used this application, could i access other peoples laptops without them knowing?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

FrostyJim wrote: »
    No.

All depends on their level of knowledge and whether it's accessible via the internet and you had username and password.
    And if you had the above you'd still need to be granted remote access or be an administrator on the laptop itself.
    There would also be records in the event log of who logged on etc but your normal windows user wouldn't have a clue about this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you already have access to the machine, then yes.

Nothing about RDP being present on a machine will let you onto it without already knowing a lot more about it/having an account on it. And in any case eliminating the evidence of your presence during and after the fact would be the bigger challenge (desktop windows versions will lock out any local interactive session while a remote session is ongoing, and only allow one concurrent active session - so if you're logged on and someone connects via RDP, even as a different account, you get prompted to allow the connection and kicked off if you don't reply to the prompt in 30 seconds; that's before we talk about removing event logs for the inbound connection).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

In other words - stop believing NCIS, CSI etc :)

Advertisement