Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2016

• 06-04-2017 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

On census night 2016 Limerick City and suburbs had a population of 94192 according to figures released today

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Limerick New Metropolitan Area Population is 105,326 in the Final Census Results. That is What The Limerick Leader Said on the 6th August 2016 Council Moves to Clarify Population of Limerick City ?. Why Did the Census Today Not Show This?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

As far as i know, the metropolitan area includes areas like Lisnagry, Clarina and Patrickswell, which are probably not included in the CSO's definition of city and suburbs.

Is the 94k figure down on the 2011 figure for the same area? Edit: no i was wrong, 2011 figure was 91k

As far as i know, the metropolitan area includes areas like Lisnagry, Clarina and Patrickswell, which are probably not included in the CSO's definition of city and suburbs.
    Is the 94k figure down on the 2011 figure for the same area?
    :confused: The Census Today Is Not Give The New Fact Why Not?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Because the results released today were for City and suburbs, of each city in the state. Not the metro areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I love this post. More of this please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Is the 94k figure down on the 2011 figure for the same area?

AFAIK there was no comparable area in 2011. Back then Limerick City had a population of around 56k, but it doesn't exist anymore after the amalgamation of the two councils. Now the city is seen as the 3 city wards which I think us the 94k figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

There was a census in the 00s where the census was the night before a big Munster away match and people were worried if X amount travelled for the game the city would drop under 50,000 or something and lose city status. There was talk of trying to get the Munster game rescheduled.

It was used as an example of why the city boundary needed to be expanded.

AFAIK there was no comparable area in 2011. Back then Limerick City had a population of around 56k, but it doesn't exist anymore after the amalgamation of the two councils. Now the city is seen as the 3 city wards which I think us the 94k figure.
    Did the Census 2016 Overlook This Amalgamation of the New Two Councils of Limerick City?:confused:.

You're correct in that there was no "Metropolitan" defined area, but the CSO did have their own definition of city and suburbs, I'm on the phone, but if you Google "CSO Limerick city and suburbs", you get a link to a 2 page doc from the CSO in 2011 which shows what areas they used. Presumably they've used the same areas for comparison in 2016.
    Edit: it is a valid point though, why not show stats for defined areas like the metro one rather than the previous arbitrary "city and suburbs" area.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Found an article from the Irish Times. It was the 2006 census. Won't let me link to it. Here's the text.

>
    The mayor of Limerick, Diarmuid Scully, has warned that the city's population could be significantly reduced in next weekend's census - because of a certain rugby match in Dublin.

Upwards of 20,000 Limerick people are expected to travel to Dublin for Munster's sell-out European Cup clash with Leinster next Sunday - the same day as the census.

Mr Scully has appealed to fans to return home immediately after the match to ensure the census is an accurate reflection of the city's population.

"Many thousands of Limerick people will be in Dublin and this could well result in the population of Limerick, as recorded in the census, being reduced by several thousand from the real figure. I am asking travelling fans to come home after the match.

"Celebrate the result in Limerick that night and fill out your census form here," he said.

However, it is thought that many thousands of Munster fans may instead opt to stay overnight in Dublin to avoid traffic jams on the return journey.

Every household in the State has received a census form, which should be filled out next Sunday, April 23rd.

The census of population is seen as vitally important by Limerick City Council in an ongoing controversy about a proposed boundary extension.

City officials claim the population has not been recorded accurately in recent years because many people who live in the suburbs are counted as residents of Co Clare and Co Limerick.

The city council wants an extension into those areas but this move has been strongly opposed by the local authorities in both counties.

Mr Scully warned that Limerick's

status as the State's third city could be further eroded if next weekend's census does not record an accurate

population.

"This could have serious implications for Limerick in terms of government and European funding over the next five years. Put simply the smaller our population, the less funding we will receive," the mayor said.

• Advertisement

Did the Census 2016 Overlook This Amalgamation of the New Two Councils of Limerick City?:confused:.

no. what is confusing you about this?? The figure released is the population of the city & suburbs.

podmu80 wrote: »
    no. what is confusing you about this?? The figure released is the population of the city & suburbs.
    I went on to Census 2016 I Can Not Find The New Facts Of Limerick City New City and Suburbs?.:confused:

I went on to Census 2016 I Can Not Find The New Facts Of Limerick City New City and Suburbs?.:confused:

Limerick city new city & suburbs? What does this mean?

http://census.cso.ie/sapmap2011/Results.aspx?Geog_Type=ST&Geog_Code

Map showing the CSO "city and suburbs" area.
    The map of the metro area is in the Council's website. I'm assuming the figure for 2016 is for the same area for comparison sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

This figure of 94k is a summary total The report today provides no detail analysis of the areas that make up the total I assume that will come at a later date.

Limerick New Metropolitan Area Population is 105,326 in the Final Census Results. That is What The Limerick Leader Said on the 6th August 2016 Council Moves to Clarify Population of Limerick City ?. Why Did the Census Today Not Show This?
    This Is What I Mean This News Paper Article In the Limerick Leader Above but the 2016 Census does not show this New Limerick City Metropolitan Area?

This Is What I Mean This News Paper Article In the Limerick Leader Above but the 2016 Census does not show this New Limerick City Metropolitan Area?

Because metro areas weren't released today. Same with the other cities. Today's figure represents the city & suburbs only, ie. the continuous urban area. Not the metro area. Outlying towns are not included in the figure released today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

The council amalgamation was Limerick city & county councils. It seems to me that you are under the misapprehension that the total population of the Limerick council area equals the Metropolitan city population.

Advertisement