Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arduino wifi module

Options
  • 06-04-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know where in Ireland I could get a wifi add to allow me to add wifi to an arduino uno ?

I've tried Maplin and rs online. I'm also waiting to hear back from a guy on adverts.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Try eBay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

crazy eyes wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know where in Ireland I could get a wifi add to allow me to add wifi to an arduino uno ?

I've tried Maplin and rs online. I'm also waiting to hear back from a guy on adverts.

Thanks

You could try use an ESP module instead - they dont need an uno - are Arduino IDE software compatible - are faster, have more memory and have built-in wifi. You can buy them on adverts.ie .

Look out for an D1 as these are ESP modules mounted on an Arduino shaped board - usually cost about 8 euros or less. You can even update them over the wifi link. They are not compatible with every software library - but will do most jobs and worth having one for about a fiver.
    eg. Here is one for 5 Euros Link

A Wifi module from maplins must be about 50 to 60 euros on its own without the uno.

One problem with the original Arduino wifi modules is to my knowledge - they cannot do HTTPS, which is becoming more and more a problem.
    You might have more success with the ESP modules and libraries like this (link)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

ozmo wrote: »
    You could try use an ESP module instead - they dont need an uno - are Arduino IDE software compatible - are faster, have more memory and have built-in wifi. You can buy them on adverts.ie .

Look out for an D1 as these are ESP modules mounted on an Arduino shaped board - usually cost about 8 euros or less. You can even update them over the wifi link. They are not compatible with every software library - but will do most jobs and worth having one for about a fiver.
    eg. Here is one for 5 Euros Link

A Wifi module from maplins must be about 50 to 60 euros on its own without the uno.

One problem with the original Arduino wifi modules is to my knowledge - they cannot do HTTPS, which is becoming more and more a problem.
    You might have more success with the ESP modules and libraries like this (link)

The ESP are basically the only thing worth talking about when it comes to WiFi Arduinos, they are so powerful and so cheap.

Wemos D1 mini are my favorite style of board as they are small, cheap and fit on a standard breadboard

Just to correct the above, the ESP can do HTTPS.
    It doesn't have a way of checking the certs of the site you are requesting so you can either check the fingerprint of the server (which can change which would require a update to your code) or you could not check anything (if the data is not sensitive it might be worth going with this)

Advertisement