Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undetected RAM

Options
  • 06-04-2017 9:36pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just had my PC returned after a cooler tune-up, booted up a game (worked well), but had a strange 'out of memory' error for the first time ever, so checked MyComputer and realized it was only recognizing 8gb out of 32gb RAM (had the computer for months - this is a first).

Naturally I reseated and tested each stick individually and they all supposedly work - and CPU-Z is telling me it counts 32gb memory when all plugged in, but neither my computer nor BIOS does.

BIOS wipes were frequent before and during the recent shop visit, but this shouldn't outright stop all RAM being detected entirely. I can only assume that the slots & sticks are working as intended. However, the ports themselves are showing as unknown whilst the one registered 8GB is showing in B1.

PCI-E Link Width x16
    PCI-E Max Link Width x16
    Memory Type DDR4
    Memory Size 32 GBytes
    Channels Single
    Memory Frequency 1065.7 MHz (1:16)

DMI Memory Device
    designation DIMM_A1
    format DIMM
    type unknown

DMI Memory Device
    designation DIMM_A2
    format DIMM
    type unknown

DMI Memory Device
    designation DIMM_B1
    format DIMM
    type unknown
    total width 72 bits
    data width 72 bits
    size 8192 MBytes

DMI Memory Device
    designation DIMM_B2
    format DIMM
    type unknown

DMI Memory Device
    designation DIMM_C1
    format DIMM
    type unknown

DMI Memory Device
    designation DIMM_C2
    format DIMM
    type unknown

DMI Memory Device
    designation DIMM_D1
    format DIMM
    type unknown

DMI Memory Device
    designation DIMM_D2
    format DIMM
    type unknown

Advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

A trip back to the shop might be advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Double check the CPU power is connected. IIRC that supports the mem controller.

I see that the detected modules are showing as 72-bit modules rather than 64-bit. Are they ECC? If so, are all four modules ECC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Are the brands different?
    Did you upgrade the memory or any parts while getting the cooler changed?

Have you tried each stick by itself to check for functionality.

Advertisement