Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GLOW [Netflix]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I remember hearing about this when it was first announced and it really didn't pique my interest (apart from the fact it starred Alison Brie), but that trailer actually looks very promising. I think I'll enjoy this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

This looks good, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just watched the first episode... It's class - it's got the '80s, Pro-Wrestling, and Annie's Boobs* (and I ain't talking about the monkey)... What's not to like...

*Obligatory Community reference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Just watched the first episode... It's class - it's got the 80s, Pro-Wrestling, and Annie's Boobs* (and I ain't talking about the monkey)... What's not to like...

*Community reference

Annie's pretty young. We try not to sexualise her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

2 episodes in and it's actually really good..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really enjoyed it I must say and as a wrestling fan I loved the cameos from the real wrestlers

Welfare Queen who is played by real life wrestler Awesome Kong was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really enjoyed it. It wasn't hilarious or anything, but it was fairly solid throughout with some great characters. Alison Brie and Marc Maron played a blinder, and the rest of the supporting cast were largely great. Would definitely look forward to seeing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I watched the whole thing yesterday and today. Great stuff, very enjoyable. I'm definitely looking forward to the next season.

Really enjoying it so far. Maron is very good.

Also, Kate Nash is Britannica, was wondering where I'd seen her before. I remember she had a few catchy pop songs a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I watched one and a half episodes and thought it was pretty crap. They already did two "gags" with Marc Maron fumbling with the ring ropes. That's enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Really enjoyed that. Nice development through out. Alison brie looks wierd!! Fairly gaunt. Nice jokes through out, good cameos from wrestlers, I know Alison Bries character was the main character but it wasn't so focused on her that no one else got decent screen time which really helped the overall show. Great look to the whole thing. Good stories plenty of room to expand and develop next season. Thank goodness it was half hours I feel one of Netflix's issues is things running too long/ laboured, the half hour format has made them focus everything a bit more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Really enjoyed that. Nice development through out. Alison brie looks wierd!! Fairly gaunt. Nice jokes through out, good cameos from wrestlers, I know Alison Bries character was the main character but it wasn't so focused on her that no one else got decent screen time which really helped the overall show. Great look to the whole thing. Good stories plenty of room to expand and develop next season. Thank goodness it was half hours I feel one of Netflix's issues is things running too long/ laboured, the half hour format has made them focus everything a bit more
    Agree. Half hour format was perfect.

I thought Marc Maron was great in this. Great pathos. I know nothing about wrestling so any cameos were lost on me, but it did make me appreciate the athleticism of it a lot more.

I loved every moment of this series. I'll be so pissed if it doesn't get renewed for a second season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

4 episodes in but already much prefer it to OITNB which I didn't get at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Best show I've seen in ages!!

Finished it earlier, hope it gets renewed. Great fun with some very human moments in it too.

Maron is the standout but Alison Brie is excellent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I've been a fan of wrestling for years. This was amazing. Well acted out and caught the sentiment of the 80's perfectly I think. Wrestling especially female wrestling wouldn't have been everyone's cup of tea back then but organisations like GLOW made it acceptable to watch. Looking forward to season 2 hopefully. The addition of real wrestlers made it brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Really enjoyed it and Mark Maron was the highlight for me and as a fan of WTF was happy for him

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭canireally

Really enjoyed this show. Hope it gets renewed for a second series. It was great fun and great characters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭RedTie

I've stopped watching at episode 4 and not sure if I'll return, I just dont get the hype about it.

Disappointing to see Brie lose so much weight too. She looks so different compared to Community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I liked it while acknowledging it's pedestrian storytelling. It's a shame that it ended when it did as it seemed to really pick momentum towards the end.

The cast and the novelty of 80s wrestling were the absolute stand outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think it is terrific fun so far but only 2 episodes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭canireally

I'm on about episode 7 and I'm really enjoying it. Loving all the retro bits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoying it so far on episode 5

Not a fan of Alison Bries Russian accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I really, really enjoyed this. I don't think I've watched anything as straight up enjoyable since Freaks and Geeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Enjoying it so far on episode 5

Not a fan of Alison Bries Russian accent

Ah.....I think that was the point. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

About halfway through and agree with majority that it's very good. It helps that i get the wrestling references

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Finished the series, I really enjoyed that and will look forward to another series if there is one.

Maron usually annoys me but he was great in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Welfare Queen had me in stitches with the food stamps at in the last episode.Well worth another season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Funny seeing the TV Exec. without enormous hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I think it started well.. but found myself cringing a lot towards the end.

Maron was great though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thought it was excellent start to finish.

I liked Debbies story. How she felt that it should all be done for her and eventually her getting it and realising that you need to work hard to get good at it.

Sam Sylivia was a prick, but a well played character. "Im sorry I tried to fúck you" probably the best line of the series.

Alison Brie stole the show entirely though. She was incredible in it with her best scene being where she showed Debbie how their match would play out and basically wrestled herself. There was a Leslie Knope quality to her enthusiasm about it all.

I enjoyed the secondary characters as well, particularly Sheila, Brittanica and "Beirut".

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭patrickSTARR

2 Episodes in, its good but not grabbing me fully to get me invested enough to continue,

Should I keep going?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

2 Episodes in, its good but not grabbing me fully to get me invested enough to continue,

Should I keep going?

Keep watching it. The fact episodes are only half an hour long makes it easier.

• Advertisement

KKkitty wrote: »
    Keep watching it. The fact episodes are only half an hour long makes it easier.

Ill keep going but I will find my interest dropping and being grabbed by other potential shows. I'm tempted to drop it.

Orphan Black is one BTW

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Never heard of Alison Brie before but I think I'm in love with her after watching some of Glow, she's beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Never heard of Alison Brie before but I think I'm in love with her after watching some of Glow, she's beautiful.

Watch community so!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jaysus.. if you think she's gorgeous in GLOW, watch Community..

#anniesboobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If anything she is made down in GLOW. Which is an achievement in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

#boobs

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've got through 6 episodes and I can't say I'm loving it, but I don't hate it either. I've never been able to warm to Alison Brie for some reason so that's not helping. I like everyone else though. I'll probably keep watching but I'm not dying to watch the next episode after one ends.

Finished it there tonight. I enjoyed the scenes where the ensemble cast were all together and the wrestling scenes but anytime they veered off into the personal stuff I found myself losing interest. I'd probably watch a second season but I wouldn't care if it wasn't renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭rodders999

Watched the lot (including the documentary which gives a good insight into some of the characters the show is based around) last week. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to see where they take it in season 2.

^Watched the documentary there this morning. It's a great companion piece to the show, you can see the influences very clearly. Shame the director and producer didn't want to be interviewed for it.

Still haven't bothered watching anything past episode 2, think I may come back to this eventually but for now its on the backburner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Great first season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It's an okay show, gets better as the season goes on.

Ive watched another episode, that 3 now. Again its good, but not good enough to make me want to watch more, it just kinda goes at a slow pace for a short show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 willwe

I thought it was so good, one of the best comedy dramas on Netflix.

• Advertisement
Advertisement