Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Echium info

Options
  • 06-04-2017 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

We have an Echium growing in a garden we have recently taken over. I know they come in different colour flowers, so just wondering what would be the more typical colour for Ireland? It has loads of buds but I don't know the colour yet.

Also typically how tall do they get here in Ireland? Ours is around 7-8ft so fairly tall already!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Any I've seen have been in shades of blue. 8 to 10 feet seems to be about the norm for them although where my sister lives in Devon they get to 12ft and more. They seem to seed readily enough too.

Monaou2 wrote: »
    We have an Echium growing in a garden we have recently taken over. I know they come in different colour flowers, so just wondering what would be the more typical colour for Ireland? It has loads of buds but I don't know the colour yet.

Also typically how tall do they get here in Ireland? Ours is around 7-8ft so fairly tall already!!

Thanks!

I would be interested in a few seeds, if you would will willing to part with them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Jake1 wrote: »
    I would be interested in a few seeds, if you would will willing to part with them :)

Best way to spread said triffid is to shake the dead flower stems with the seed heads on them around.

Blue is the common one there is also a pink one (iirc Pink Fountain) and a couple of whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Monaou2

my3cents wrote: »
    Best way to spread said triffid is to shake the dead flower stems with the seed heads on them around.

Blue is the common one there is also a pink one (iirc Pink Fountain) and a couple of whites.

Thanks for the replies.

I will wait to discover the colour so - blue would be nice.

You are more than welcome to seeds - will be back here later in the summer once they have flowered.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

You are more than welcome to seeds - will be back here later in the summer once they have flowered.

Thanks!

My Echium is a burst of flowers - very impressive if only for the height of the thing!!

You are more than welcome to seeds if you PM me your address.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks!

My Echium is a burst of flowers - very impressive if only for the height of the thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My Echium is a burst of flowers - very impressive if only for the height of the thing!!

What colour? We have about 20 all 4m or taller and they vary from nearly white to a dark purple.

Reckon it is purple/lilac colour....

Reckon it is purple/lilac colour....

It must be very impressive to see 20 of them together!

Advertisement