Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher diploma in education

Options
  • 06-04-2017 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Ive got an interview for the Higher diploma in education (Further education) and im wondering is the course well regarded? or any info at all about the college and course. Has anyone completed it?

Thank you x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lola29

Hi, I also have an interview coming up for the Higher diploma in further education at NUI Maynooth. I am also looking for info about the course and how past graduates of the course found it. Best of luck in your interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

Hi Lola29, I went for the interview, it was very relaxed, quick chat , was only about 10/15 minutes with two of the course lecturers who were lovely. Good luck with your interview x

Teapot30 wrote: »
    Hi Lola29, I went for the interview, it was very relaxed, quick chat , was only about 10/15 minutes with two of the course lecturers who were lovely. Good luck with your interview x

Hi Teapot30, Sounds like your interview went well! Glad to hear it was relaxed. Did the lecturers give you much info about the course? Did they say when you would know if you got a place? My interview is not until the 24th of April.

lola29 wrote: »
    Hi Teapot30, Sounds like your interview went well! Glad to hear it was relaxed. Did the lecturers give you much info about the course? Did they say when you would know if you got a place? My interview is not until the 24th of April.

They just said they'd let me know in about three weeks if I got a place, regarding the course they just said the students are required to have two different work experience placements and that was it really, they'll ask you if you have any questions so have a few prepared. x

Hi Teapot30. I have the interview tomor for the Hdip in further ed. Im just wonderin what kind of questions do they ask. Is it mainly why u want to do it and your background? Also do you know how much are the fees for the year? I cant find it anywhere online. Thanks x

• Advertisement

Hi Teapot30. I have the interview tomor for the Hdip in further ed. Im just wonderin what kind of questions do they ask. Is it mainly why u want to do it and your background? Also do you know how much are the fees for the year? I cant find it anywhere online. Thanks x

Sorry Lola, I only saw this, how did your interview go? The fees are 5500 but you can get the susi grant to cover some or all of your fees. x

I have the interview today! Just gettin ready to go to Maynooth now!

I have the interview today! Just gettin ready to go to Maynooth now!

Oh good, I hope it went well for you xx

Ah thank you. I think it did. As u said it was v informal. They were lovely. Thanks to ur advice I had a few questions prepared. They said they would let me know in the next week or two.

• Advertisement

Ah thank you. I think it did. As u said it was v informal. They were lovely. Thanks to ur advice I had a few questions prepared. They said they would let me know in the next week or two.

Brilliant, fingers crossed :) x

Hi Teapot30,
    Did u hear back from the course yet as to whether you got a place?

Hi Lola, no I havnt heard anything, they said 3 weeks so im hoping ill find out before Monday. Any word yourself?

Hi Lola, no I havnt heard anything, they said 3 weeks so im hoping ill find out before Monday. Any word yourself?

Hi Teapot, I wasnt expectin to hear back for a wk or 2 but I got an email today saying the status of my pac application had changed. So when I went in to Pac and checked I saw that I have been offered a place!! Check ur email and pac application and see if theres any update on yours yet. Fingers crossed for you ☺

Hi Teapot, I wasnt expectin to hear back for a wk or 2 but I got an email today saying the status of my pac application had changed. So when I went in to Pac and checked I saw that I have been offered a place!! Check ur email and pac application and see if theres any update on yours yet. Fingers crossed for you ☺

Oh congratulations, thats great, I just checked there and nothings been updated, I might not have been offered a place but if I dont hear anything by next week ill contact them myself.

Oh congratulations, thats great, I just checked there and nothings been updated, I might not have been offered a place but if I dont hear anything by next week ill contact them myself.

Ah hopefully u will get offered a place. To be honest I was v surprised that was the way it was offered. I thought we would get a letter, email or phonecall. I wouldnt give up hope yet. Please god u get a place.

Ah hopefully u will get offered a place. To be honest I was v surprised that was the way it was offered. I thought we would get a letter, email or phonecall. I wouldnt give up hope yet. Please god u get a place.

Thanks Lola, I just got word today, I was offered a place, im delighted :)

Thanks Lola, I just got word today, I was offered a place, im delighted :)

Ah that's wonderful, delighted for you! Congrats! Can u remem did they say something in the interview about bringin us up soon to give us info on the course and to meet with past graduates? x

Ah that's wonderful, delighted for you! Congrats! Can u remem did they say something in the interview about bringin us up soon to give us info on the course and to meet with past graduates? x

Thank you, I do remember they said something about it but I dont think they said when, hopefully they'll contact us to let us know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LucyLing

Hi. I would be more concerned about gaining employment having completed the course rather than the course itself. I completed dip in further ed elsewhere (2015) and did cover leave for a few months however am back in the same occupation I was in pre third level. Positions are very scarce while there are an abundance of qualified teachers. I do know of people that secured teaching hours up to 11/12 hours per week. For anyone that is looking for a full time position, a career and a weeks wages to cover the cost of living, this may not be a good match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

What subjects are you qualified to teach in after this. My BA is sociology and politics is that what I would teach. Do they even off that anywhere in further education?

Newport81 wrote: »
    What subjects are you qualified to teach in after this. My BA is sociology and politics is that what I would teach. Do they even off that anywhere in further education?

Hi my ba is in childcare and I also have a ba in nursing, Im not sure if your subjects are offered in further ed, I deferred my place until next year due to family commitments so im not aware of the subject requirements but maybe you could contact the course staff or ask in your ETB? sorry I cant be more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

you have an excellent combination there OP with both nursing and childcare. the v best of luck to you

Advertisement