Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best car wash in Cork City or near city

• 06-04-2017 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Looking for a really good car wash in or near Cork. Not one of the automatic drive-through types, but one where there's a guy with the power washer and the sponges etc. And where he has different sponges for windows, paint work, wheels, etc. So, in short, a car wash where the guy washing actually gives a damn.
    I'd like to avoid the valet centres, as you usually have to book in advance. I'd prefer a car wash based at a service station (or wherever) that you can just rock on up when you're passing.
    Thanks for any recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Walked past this crowd in Bishopstown today but haven't used them so can't comment on the quality of their wash. They were kept fairly busy though with a queue there if that can be taken as an indication that they do at least an OK job:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.8792756,-8.5205588,3a,75y,226.54h,77.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGZqzsWjNAqfINeNsZI5p3w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I cant recommend D&D detailing in Blackpool enough, they meet all your criteria except theyre not based at filling station.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I cant recommend D&D detailing in Blackpool enough, they meet all your criteria except theyre not based at filling station.

Yup, would recommend them too if you care about your paintwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Always found O'Donoghues in Bishopstown excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Thanks guys. D&D look great, but I suspect I might have to book in advance. I'll check them both out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

outfox wrote: »
    Thanks guys. D&D look great, but I suspect I might have to book in advance. I'll check them both out.

Theyve started doing maintenace washes on the fly now again so you can just turn up.

Ive rung them before though to see if there was many cars up there. Most youll be waiting is usually 10mins.

IMO its worth it but if its out of your way then you may have to reconsider. Saturdays can be busy enough but go up early and youll be in and out in no time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

I use a car wash at the back of a service station on the Redforge Rd Blackpool - sorry i don't know the name of the station but its on that road, after the shopping centre.. as your heading towards the mallow rd = before the Y junction (mallow/old mallow rd)

its really cheap and the guys are great and really nice.. no need to book - just go there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

I swear by the Handwash Company that are part of the Maxol on the Straight Road just beyond County hall. A lot of places, especially O'Donoghue's in Wilton, use foam sponges that cause wreck on paint that may look clean from a distance. Also, avoid any place that won't dry the car, as watermarks can make any car look manky right away. D&D are top notch as well up in Blackpool, and they have a full shop of cleaning gear, but can get busy

CianDon wrote: »
    I swear by the Handwash Company that are part of the Maxol on the Straight Road just beyond County hall. A lot of places, especially O'Donoghue's in Wilton, use foam sponges that cause wreck on paint that may look clean from a distance. Also, avoid any place that won't dry the car, as watermarks can make any car look manky right away. D&D are top notch as well up in Blackpool, and they have a full shop of cleaning gear, but can get busy

i must check out D&D sometime - sounds interesting - and its close to me
    (although I do have an affinity for the place I mentioned in my original post)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

rob316 wrote: »
    Always found O'Donoghues in Bishopstown excellent.

Yeah. O'Donoghues is very good.

• Advertisement

I swear by the Handwash Company that are part of the Maxol on the Straight Road just beyond County hall. A lot of places, especially O'Donoghue's in Wilton, use foam sponges that cause wreck on paint that may look clean from a distance.

Do you know what the Handwash guys use instead of foam sponges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

sporina wrote: »
    i must check out D&D sometime - sounds interesting - and its close to me
    (although I do have an affinity for the place I mentioned in my original post)

I think I use the same one as you. Guy in his 40s/50s and a young lad.

I think I use the same one as you. Guy in his 40s/50s and a young lad.

yep that sounds like them - immediately after the shopping centre on the back road... its a "Top" station - shop is O Riordains

Do you know what the Handwash guys use instead of foam sponges?

They use lambs wool wash mits. While they do take care of the car I've found lately that on close inspection they are not getting the car fully clean especially the roof where my car tends to build up some fairly hard to shift dirt that's still there after the wash. I still use them though as they are handy and I get a discount so it's very cheap.

There's a good wash, apparently, in Texaco in Bishopstown also. I haven't used it but heard from somebody who did, who was very pleased with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

The carwash in topaz grange is very good, for a brush wash.
    They spray the car first with a hand held pressure pump and give any bad bits a wipe. Then you go into the brush wash, leave in neutral with the handbrake down and a conveyor pulls the car along the brushes. Never seen wheels or under sills so clean after a brush wash.
    Decent wash for €10.

But it destroys your paintwork..

If you really value the paint finish on your car, never use a brush wash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

mik_da_man wrote: »
    But it destroys your paintwork..

If you really value the paint finish on your car, never use a brush wash

+1

Used the tunnel wash yesterday in Topaz Frankfield.

The lacquer is now peeling by the back light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The one on the Douglas road opposite Regina Mundi is very good, hand wash, not different cloths, but he is good

I used to find them good but they refuse to perform the chamois dry on occasions if it's raining as the car will be wet once you drive out :rolleyes:

to be fair in comparison to O'Donoghue's in Wilton they are top class.

• Advertisement

It's funny. I always washed my own car until a year or two ago. Started using car washes then but after reading some of the stories here, I'm wondering if I should return to the tried and tested home job. More work for me but I don't want the paintwork damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Is the brushless wash in Blarney still going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

TS Valeting in Marina Commercial Park are fantastic. Got a handwash and dry done there recently for a very cheap €12. Was recommended by a friend, I will be going back again for a full valet. Takes a lot longer than a jet/brush wash, but worth it in my opinion.

What's the general consensus on tipping? It's annoying enough in restaurants, but is tipping done at carwashes too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

BeansBeans wrote: »
    TS Valeting in Marina Commercial Park are fantastic. Got a handwash and dry done there recently for a very cheap €12. Was recommended by a friend, I will be going back again for a full valet. Takes a lot longer than a jet/brush wash, but worth it in my opinion.

Going to try them out this weekend, good price.

What's the general consensus on tipping? It's annoying enough in restaurants, but is tipping done at carwashes too?

I'd be the sane as restaurants, if they did a good job and made a visible effort to impress they would get a tip.

It's far from common I'd say TBH though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭mikeecho

.red. wrote: »
    The carwash in topaz grange is very good, for a brush wash.
    They spray the car first with a hand held pressure pump and give any bad bits a wipe. Then you go into the brush wash, leave in neutral with the handbrake down and a conveyor pulls the car along the brushes. Never seen wheels or under sills so clean after a brush wash.
    Decent wash for €10.

Is this the same topaz just off the kinsale rd r'about, next to Travelodge ?, across from Hanleys...

Because if it is. It's one of the worst car washes.

BeansBeans wrote: »

I changed my car recently. I got the previous one cleaned and fully valeted at TS in the Marina before I sold it. Super job. At €120 (4x4 price), it wasn't cheap, but it was a really good job in fairness. The reason I was looking for a new car wash crew was that I reckon TS need to be booked in advance. Maybe I'm wrong? If I'm wrong, and I can just call in when passing, I'd use them again.

In the meantime, I tried one of the recommendations above: O'Donoghue's in Bishopstown. Pretty good job. They were using sponges instead of mitts as one poster mentioned, although I haven't noticed any paintwork marks as a result. They did not dry the car, so there were a few water spots, although in fairness it was a cloudy day and drying was slow, so maybe there was no need. Gonna try D&D or the Handwash Co next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

I changed my car recently. I got the previous one cleaned and fully valeted at TS in the Marina before I sold it. Super job. At €120 (4x4 price), it wasn't cheap, but it was a really good job in fairness. The reason I was looking for a new car wash crew was that I reckon TS need to be booked in advance. Maybe I'm wrong? If I'm wrong, and I can just call in when passing, I'd use them again.

In the meantime, I tried one of the recommendations above: O'Donoghue's in Bishopstown. Pretty good job. They were using sponges instead of mitts as one poster mentioned, although I haven't noticed any paintwork marks as a result. They did not dry the car, so there were a few water spots, although in fairness it was a cloudy day and drying was slow, so maybe there was no need. Gonna try D&D or the Handwash Co next.

For a handwash I think you can drop it in, I rang them and the lady on the phone said I could bring it in straight away if i wanted. They have at least one other place too, I think in glanmire.
    I was very pleasantly surprised by them. A friend brings his car (for his business) there so he is very fussy about washing/valeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The other half tried south coast valeting in little island, as it was handy. Went for a €25 job - Exterior handwash, dry, interior polish and hoover, quick detailing on the wheels .

Car was in decent shape in terms of exterior and interior it was more maintenance required than anything but ....

The job was so poor it was unbelievable, they are lucky i wasnt there to pick it up with her. Water stains all over the car and windows, wheels not detailed at all, interior not properly polished, barely hoovered.

Neither of us will be going there again.

Advertisement