Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko/Sab/Edision triple Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭deezell

mjatkey wrote: »
    Hi, yes indeed not that bothered as you said earlier just add the dead one and use that to check.
    Trying the lululla Xc plugin at the moment works well on the Edision allows recording but on the Amiko A it just crashes so have left the mage one on that for now works well enough for the box.
    One thing I do notice it the picture quality of the Amiko is better than both the Edision and the CloudI box I have, might even swap it for the Cloud box once the sub (mac plugin) runs out unless anyone has messed with swapping macs around?

Thanks

That would be tricky. The linux command Ifconfig is implemented on the alien, in pkt 4.5 at rate. This command sets hardware address; sudo ifconfig eth0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    It should be preceded by; sudo ifconfig eth0 down , to take down the network adapter, and followed by; sudo ifconfig eth0 up,
    but if you're connected over telnet, then your connection is gone, so I guess you've got to run all the commands in a batch, or from a pc connected to the serial port using telnet. Try it if you dare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

deezell wrote:
    That would be tricky. The linux command Ifconfig is implemented on the alien, in pkt 4.5 at rate. This command sets hardware address; sudo ifconfig eth0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx It should be preceded by; sudo ifconfig eth0 down , to take down the network adapter, and followed by; sudo ifconfig eth0 up, but if you're connected over telnet, then your connection is gone, so I guess you've got to run all the commands in a batch, or from a pc connected to the serial port using telnet. Try it if you dare.

Should be ok if connecting the AA temporarily via wifi

championc wrote: »
    Should be ok if connecting the AA temporarily via wifi

But if changing network adapter settings, you should really disable it first, meaning no Wi-Fi for subsequent interaction with the box. You could just run the command to change Mac, connection will probably be lost until your router finds the new Mac and gives it a new Ip address which you can use to reconnect, or else use the remote to to reconnect the adapter and discover the new Ip. The router will hang on to the original Ip as being associated with the old Mac until you clear it from the router or manually assign it on the box using the remote.

Also needs to be said that that the network adapter drivers on the alien or any other device need to support the hardware address option (the hw switch in the command) in order for Mac address change to work. If someone wants to give it a go......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Can anyone here recommend a usb dvb-t tuner compatible with the Edision OS mini? Bought one from China but cannot find drivers for it.

It's this one in case anyone else has the same one working.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/122069996882?_mwBanner=1

I tried the realtek rtl2832 driver but nothing.

• Advertisement

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Can anyone here recommend a usb dvb-t tuner compatible with the Edision OS mini? Bought one from China but cannot find drivers for it.

It's this one in case anyone else has the same one working.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/122069996882?_mwBanner=1

I tried the realtek rtl2832 driver but nothing.

Some discussion here. Might help. https://www.opena.tv/english-section/29214-dvb-usb-compatible-dreambox-openatv.html
    This dongle from Free tv will work, not cheap though.
    http://www.freetv.ie/usb-dvb-t2-tuner/

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Have read the thread with great interest !
    I am looking for the best solution for an AA2+ trying to convert the family so I need to make this as straight forward as possible (and fast UX).

Mainly interested in freesat, and saorview, combined epg and ability to record.

The Hyperion 4.5 image still seems to be most popular is this the case or is there a newer better option ? Any link to complete image would be great.

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

thats out of date atm

open atv 6 / 6.1 is prob best image out there now

Nowso wrote: »
    thats out of date atm

open atv 6 / 6.1 is prob best image out there now

Thank you for the advise, would anyone have an image of this or where is best to get one suited to using freesat, saorview, all in one epg and allow recording ?

Thank you for the advise, would anyone have an image of this or where is best to get one suited to using freesat, saorview, all in one epg and allow recording ?

http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/6.1/index.php?open=amikoalien
    Also Vix4 image
    http://www.vix4projects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?525-AMIKO&
    I still use Hyperion 4.5. Rarely gives me problems, never liked Openatv layout. Maybe it's better now, can't be arsed to reimage and spend ages restoring stuff. With iptv plugins some images might work better.
    If you're about to buy an alien2, it'll probalby come with Openatv, crossepg for 7day freesat epg, iptv plugin. Probably better boxes than the AA2 out there but some swear by its picture quality. If I was changing box Id probably go for an Edision mega.

• Advertisement

And if you plan to go the IPTV Route, the AA2 unfortunately won't cut the mustard :(

championc wrote:
    And if you plan to go the IPTV Route, the AA2 unfortunately won't cut the mustard

Yeah it's a new adventure for me don't know much about the whole thing and haven't investigated iptv so at the moment need something the family can use easily that is smooth and reliable to use with saorview and freesat w combined epg and recording would be brilliant. If i I should be looking at iptv I will look at another dox down the road

Yeah it's a new adventure for me don't know much about the whole thing and haven't investigated iptv so at the moment need something the family can use easily that is smooth and reliable to use with saorview and freesat w combined epg and recording would be brilliant. If i I should be looking at iptv I will look at another dox down the road

As you are completely new to these type of receivers, I would make 2 recommendations. One is you buy an alien2 or a sab triple, they are identical. These have a built in operating system known as spark, which is clean, simple to operate and has the features you require. These boxes can also be dual imaged with the Linux images such as Hyperion, Openatv etc. These images can be tricky to get used to as there are so many user controlled options. You might find spark is all you ever need, but, when the wife is away for a few days you could experiment with the enigma image and see where it takes you. I stayed with spark for a month before I even attempted the switch, and had to switch back after a few days such was my frustration and lack of knowledge of enigma 2. A solid weeks reading fora like this and I returned and stayed.
    My second recommendation is a box which has enigma2 as it's factory install, and has the saorview tuner as a plug in usb dongle. The edision mini is inexpensive, comes with a very stable install of OpenAtv, with a manual for same, is sharp and responsive to the remote and will handle iptv down the road better than the alien. You can buy one or two sat tuner versions, you need two tuners if you want to record and watch 2 sat channels together. Check the mini out at free tv.ie.

Thanks very much Deezell fantastic information. I had been reading up and it looked like the Aa2+ was the one to go for so I picked one up reasonably priced it has Hyperion 4.5 but on further investigation it would seem both the box and the image are very out dated so was just trying to see what the best way to approach it would be before introducing to the family - first impressions and all that ! Won't have dish and aerial set up properly until the weekend so just wanted to do as much box prep before then so I can have it up and running and do a "Tada ! See we don't need sky or virgin"

If you search this or other threads you will find instructions on how to switch between Spark and Enigma2. If you stay wth 4.5 all you really need is the autoboquets plugin to give you a head start on up to date satellite channel lists. You'll then need to update the crossepg 7 day epg downloader, assuming the plugin is installed. Otherwise you have to manually tune and sort. The rest of 4.5 is fine. It would be ideal if you could spend a few weeks at it alone on a second TV before you make the switch. If you indicate what saoview transmitter you are using someone here might post an alien image with up to date settings and tuned channels that you could use straight up.

Fantastic information ! Looks like the saorview mast I have to use is Kippure. An image for the AA2+ would be brilliant if someone could post one.

Really looking forward to getting this set up properly and eventually cut the cable !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

deezell wrote: »
    ......Maybe it's better now, can't be arsed to reimage and spend ages restoring stuff. With iptv plugins some images might work better. If you're about to buy an alien2, it'll probalby come with Openatv, crossepg for 7day freesat epg, iptv plugin. Probably better boxes than the AA2 out there but some swear by its picture quality......
    For what it's worth openATV can often import your backed up settings from another image. It doesn't even need crossEPG as it has it's own reader which does the Freesat channels but not the lesser non-freesat ones. As for appearance/layout there are loads of nice skins available to sort that. Hyp 4.5 was grand in its day but openATV is streets ahead in terms of built in functions and is updated daily by a very active community.

I agree, hyperion used be way ahead in performance but the gap has closed now and openatv is fairly solid these days. Many of the popular skins also don't work on hyperion as they are wrote for openatv. My favourite is the slyk onyx one over on linuxsat. I got tired of the sky ripoffs.

For FTA the AA2 is a fine box but it struggles with any sort of iptv. If you are going to get this down the line I would buy a Edision OS Mega instead. It has a bit of power that is needed for streaming.

I have some serious reading up and googling to do thanks so much for all your input.

So I need to get an openatv 6/6.1 image installed instead of the Hyperion 4.5 one and get the slyx onyx one skin for it. Brilliant

I have some serious reading up and googling to do thanks so much for all your input.

So I need to get an openatv 6/6.1 image installed instead of the Hyperion 4.5 one and get the slyx onyx one skin for it. Brilliant

Yeah that would be the best.

Latest openatv from here.

http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/current/index.php?open=amikoalien

* note these are bare images and need configuring.

Slyk onyx skin from

https://linuxsat-support.com/board/1462-kiddac-skins/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

If your starting off with zero knowledge then your better off using a copy of someone’s existing set up. They can up load it to this forum for you and you just install it on your box and your good to go. You can then save a copy of it to a usb stick and have a tinker with it when the missus isn’t around to tut when you break it
    Edit- we are using Hyperion 5.5 at home a long time now with zero issues on recording and epg and most importantly the wife loves it

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Yeah that would be the best.

Latest openatv from here.....
    * note these are bare images and need configuring.

If someone here is using Openatv on an alien and using Kippure for terrestrial, would like to save off their image and post it here for this man's benefit, It would save him a lot of hassle. I'm still on 4.5, but I'm on Kippure so I could when I have a minute save off the image in the flash format. Have to go back to Spark to do this, i'm not sure if you can save the image directly from OpenAtv.

openATV has comprehensive backup options that backs up settings or the full image in a tar file and also in the USB restore format. When it comes to updating you can choose from a complete image install using your backed up settings or just update the bits that have changed. It automatically scans your box to see what you have installed and only downloads the patches.

Everyone thank you very much for all your help, in reading up it definitely seems like a working image would be the best option until i get up to speed with it properly. If anyone has an AA2+ image using freesat, saorview kippure it would be fantastic, if not i will have some messing over the weekend trying to figure it all out and hopefully me and my stupid box don't get booted out !

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

Everyone thank you very much for all your help, in reading up it definitely seems like a working image would be the best option until i get up to speed with it properly. If anyone has an AA2+ image using freesat, saorview kippure it would be fantastic, if not i will have some messing over the weekend trying to figure it all out and hopefully me and my stupid box don't get booted out !

If you get one with just the freesat channels tuned in, you can very easily tune in the saorview channels.
    Just press menu and then select "settings" and the "service settings" (names might be slightly different in each image) then manually tune in 738Mhz and 770Mhz (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kippure) select "clear before scan" on the first one but not the second one you scan.and only tune the dvb-t (t for terrestrial)

Then copy the channels into a bouquet of your choosing: either use Dremboxedit on your pc or:
    Press "ok" or the "up/down" arrow at centre of remote press the colour button the if for providers (again the colour changes on different images) finr RTENL, go into it and on each channel you see press "menu" and then "copy to bouquet" and select the bouquet you want - you will then need to reorder the channels in the bouquet and that is done by pressing "menu" and "enable move mode" select the channel and move it (up or down)

Remember if you mess it up you can always reflash and start again

Tbh, there's not a lot that needs to be done and there is nothing which is absolutely necessary, given the fact that oscam is no longer relevant.

Basically, flash OpenATV 6.1. Then go into System , Setup , Service Searching and setup your Satellite and Terrestrial Tuners and then do an automatic scan.

That should get you fairly much up and running

Tbh, there's not a lot that needs to be done and there is nothing which is absolutely necessary, given the fact that oscam is no longer relevant.

Basically, flash OpenATV 6.1. Then go into System , Setup , Service Searching and setup your Satellite and Terrestrial Tuners and then do an automatic scan.

Interesting aside to this. I have an AA2 running openATV6.1 (currently on adverts.ie) configured for Cairn Hill. I brought it to Dublin to scan in Kippure and didn't need to alter the bouquets as it recognised the channel IDs. So button 1 was RTÉ1 Cairn Hill and is now RTÉ1 Kippure etc. Saved me a few minutes juggling;)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭McGixxer

Would anyone happen to have an OpenATV (or ViX4e2) backup using the Cairn Hill transmitter?
    I'd be eternally grateful if someone could share this.
    Thanks in advance.

You'll still need to sort the channel mess that is a full Astra scan, creating favourite lists etc, and install and configure crossepg and it's associated hard disk for 7 day epg to work. These two things alone can be head wreckers for the inexperienced. A working image is a gift. Terrestrial is easily scanned but not easily accessed until you know how to use the remote, WebIf or Dreambox edit to place the new channels, which will be in 'last scanned', into bouquets. Typical beginner error is to start using last scanned as the main bouquet, sorting and shifting channels, then scanning terrestrial which wipes your hard work. As Gerry mentioned, with a working image the terrestrial scan will update the saorview channels already stored in the image saving a lot of work.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    You'll still need to sort the channel mess that is a full Astra scan, creating favourite lists etc, and install and configure crossepg and it's associated hard disk for 7 day epg to work. These two things alone can be head wreckers for the inexperienced. A working image is a gift. Terrestrial is easily scanned but not easily accessed until you know how to use the remote, WebIf or Dreambox edit to place the new channels, which will be in 'last scanned', into bouquets. Typical beginner error is to start using last scanned as the main bouquet, sorting and shifting channels, then scanning terrestrial which wipes your hard work. As Gerry mentioned, with a working image the terrestrial scan will update the saorview channels already stored in the image saving a lot of work.

Yeup was really eager to try get this working and would have loved to have done it myself but I found this out after about 8 hours of messing yesterday evening when i eventually gave up at 2.30! i'm sure it makes sense once you know what you are doing but i clearly haven't a clue ! lol

Advertisement