Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko/Sab/Edision triple Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭deezell

It would be really good if the card worked in the conax card slot. You would have the full quality satellite signal, no dependency on internet. European Satellite broadcasters other than sky just issue a card and its up to you to plug it into any receiver with a card slot and configure it through the menus. My ancient edision 3 in 1 had such a slot and a menu section. Box had no internet or phone line, so there was no communication from box to provider if you had a valid sub card.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

deezell wrote: »
    No, it seems to operate via a dedicated app. It can't be called via chrome or browsers.

Does anyone know of a way to "cast"/stream that to an enigma2 box?
    I have the app but watching on my small screen is not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

deezell wrote:
    Get the card and try it. In spark the card reader was automatic for sub cards in the past. Not sure if you have to do anything in enigma2.

Looking at cards on ebay can i just get any sky card and then get a code from eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Looking at cards on ebay can i just get any sky card and then get a code from eir?

No, the card is checked and enabled by Setanta and it must be in a Sky box for that to happen.

Maybe a non-HD Sky box would help it be useful in other devices ..... I never got a chance to try.

My understanding is eir will provide a card? Their product is not beholden to sky tv. Technically the encryption they use just requires the correct card in the receivers conax card slot. Perhaps you have to add a code or key through the menus. Eir sport1, 2 and Eir sport 2 HD are all receiver independent, they don't use the sky box pairing and can be decrypted on any receiver with a card slot and the appropriate card supplied by eir.

• Advertisement

Another way if putting it us that their channels can still be viewed by a softCAM, meaning the card is in a non sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Anyone know if it’s possible to adjust the box display on open atv? Think it was called “vfd” on Hyperion, I just want the time displayed in standby

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

My understanding is eir will provide a card? Their product is not beholden to sky tv. Technically the encryption they use just requires the correct card in the receivers conax card slot. Perhaps you have to add a code or key through the menus. Eir sport1, 2 and Eir sport 2 HD are all receiver independent, they don't use the sky box pairing and can be decrypted on any receiver with a card slot and the appropriate card supplied by eir.

I look forward to reading how this might be done.
    I have a card that works in a Sky+ HD box but in no other box.

There was a time when I could use a card in an Ariva box but some changes were made and that failed. It had been possible to use the Ariva to watch channels such as Sony channels.

I hope I am wrong but it seems the eir channels require a card to be paired with a Sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

how.gareth wrote: »
    Anyone know if it’s possible to adjust the box display on open atv? Think it was called “vfd” on Hyperion, I just want the time displayed in standby
    Have a look in SETUP > USAGE AND GUI > DISPLAY
    The exact settings changes from box to box depending on hardware capabilities.

Have a look in SETUP > USAGE AND GUI > DISPLAY
    The exact settings changes from box to box depending on hardware capabilities.
    Thanks Gerry but all I have is dimming options in that sub menu, don’t think I’ll need to worry as I’ve had the box crash 3 times on different issues and got stuck on a boot loop and needed a reflash since I installed open atv so I’m probably gonna give up at this stage and go back to Hyperion which was fairly maintenance/stress free

• Advertisement

****e now I’ve gone back to Hyperion but I can’t get epg to populate, in the section for open tv providers it’s blank, i can’t remember this happening before and I’m not sure what to do?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

dunno how it crashed that much lol

Thanks Gerry but all I have is dimming options in that sub menu, don’t think I’ll need to worry as I’ve had the box crash 3 times on different issues and got stuck on a boot loop and needed a reflash since I installed open atv so I’m probably gonna give up at this stage and go back to Hyperion which was fairly maintenance/stress free
    Very surprised to hear it is crashing. I find openATV the best by far. The only time it crashed was by me doing something silly.

Very surprised to hear it is crashing. I find openATV the best by far. The only time it crashed was by me doing something silly.

Yep true I was changing things like the skin and plugins which caused the first 2 crashes but the 3rd time was just pausing a recording for about 5 mins which caused a crash then boot loop and needed a full reflash

And I always do silly things but Hyperion is very forgiving and never needs a reflash

Any help on the epg most welcome!

You might need to delete the cross plugin, then refresh plugin list. It should reappear on the list , then reinstall.

Delete the crossEPG folder and 'epg.dat' from the HDD before installing a clean version

Cheers lads I’ll give that a try when I get home

Still no joy unfortunately, anytime I install cross epg the open tv provider section is blank

• Advertisement

I’ve gone back and checked an old back up I have running cross epg 8.1 and that’s fine, is there any way I can install that older version of the plugin instead of the newer 8.3 available in the plugin menu?
    Edit; just noticed open atv is running cross epg 8.4. I wonder have they stopped supporting Hyperion now aswell? Anyhow I’ve reflashed open atv and will see how it goes again for a few days

I’ve gone back and checked an old back up I have running cross epg 8.1 and that’s fine, is there any way I can install that older version of the plugin instead of the newer 8.3 available in the plugin menu?
    Edit; just noticed open atv is running cross epg 8.4. I wonder have they stopped supporting Hyperion now aswell? Anyhow I’ve reflashed open atv and will see how it goes again for a few days

If you can find the older version to download in IPK form and install it manually.

i reset up open atv 6.1 today . they changed the tuner configuration slightly in an update

so decided to go from scratch instead of my old backup

once through the set up and getting rid of 13/19 east channels its definetly the best to use

If you can find the older version to download in IPK form and install it manually
    I’ll give open atv another try and see if the wife is happy with it

Nowso wrote: »
    i reset up open atv 6.1 today . they changed the tuner configuration slightly in an update

so decided to go from scratch instead of my old backup

once through the set up and getting rid of 13/19 east channels its definetly the best to use

I usually just select one satellite (28.2 I think?) in the tuner configuration setup, what do you do exactly and why?

the 13 and 19 are there from the programmelist plugin - you gotta delete the plugin , then in the sat set up remove the sats and then delete the bouqets .

or else you have unusabe sats and channels and bouqets listed

its the slowest part of it other than tuning.

If you use DCC or ftp to save the crossepg.py file from the backup image, move to your pc, then replace the same file on the new image, reboot and see if it changes things. The file is in usr/ somewhere, I'll have a 'root' later to see.
    Edit; here I think, /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPluginsCrossEPG

Nowso wrote: »
    the 13 and 19 are there from the programmelist plugin - you gotta delete the plugin , then in the sat set up remove the sats and then delete the bouqets .

or else you have unusabe sats and channels and bouqets listed

its the slowest part of it other than tuning.
    You only need to do this once. From then onwards you can use your backup of the settings, even on a clean install.
    As always BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.

(If memory serves, openATV can also import bouquets and favourites from Hyperion settings backup, but don't quote me on this.) ;)

Ah I see, I have all my channels and bouquets saved on my laptop and use dreambox edit to transfer to any new image I flash, they have never failed to work on any one I’ve tried. Only takes 30 seconds, deletes all the unwanted and crappy channels and saves a lot of messing around

• Advertisement

If you use DCC or ftp to save the crossepg.py file from the backup image, move to your pc, then replace the same file on the new image, reboot and see if it changes things. The file is in usr/ somewhere, I'll have a 'root' later to see.
    Edit; here I think, /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPluginsCrossEPG

Cheers, I’m gonna give atv a few days and see if I have any more crashes. I might be trying to change to many things on it in one go which is causing it to have a melt down. I’m not a fan of the default skin at all so that has to go!

Advertisement