Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko/Sab/Edision triple Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭DopeTech

how.gareth wrote: »
    If I picked up a twin satellite receiver am I correct in thinking there is some way to add a terrestrial input through a USB port? To receive HD saoirview

As long as it's Linux based this will work.

http://www.freetv.ie/usb-dvb-t2-tuner/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Sir Dosser wrote: »

Perfect that's great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭swoofer

Zgemma Star H.2H FTA Combo Tuner DVB S2 + T/C, is very cheap and you can add a usb to record. Better option and you can use a wooshbuild image

look here

http://www.zgemma.co.uk/Sat-Cable-Terrestrial?product_id=60

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Perfect that's great

That is very dear for a USB dongle DVB-T/2 tuner.

They are available for about €8 to €10 on line.

That is very dear for a USB dongle DVB-T/2 tuner.

They are available for about €8 to €10 on line.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,091 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Link?
    Lots of them on Amazon. Any that are under £25 then just buy an "add on" item to bring the price up to £25 and that qualifies for free delivery. Allowing for the additional 3% extra charged on VAT and then exchange rate you should have it delivered to your door for less than €30 which is substantially less than €43.05 (+ postage costs) being charged by freetv.ie

I thought they needed to be T2 compatible to receive saorview hd.

I thought they needed to be T2 compatible to receive saorview hd.

No

DVB-T2 is required to receive Freeview HD which is a UK terrestrial service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I recently upgraded my Alien 2 to the Mutant HD51 .
    I had been led to believe that the picture quality on the Mutant HD51 due to the Arm processor ,was as good as that of the SH4 receivers and better than similar MIPS based receivers.
    This receiver was to be the Holy Grail I had long been searching ,a powerful receiver with a good picture.

I have a few 1080p plasma sets so I am running the Mutant in 1080i mode ,not 4k.
    I'm very disappointed with the picture quality to say the least,SD and HD, its the same as other Mips based receivers I've had ,noticeably inferior to the Aliens.
    I've tried Openatv and Vix and tinkered with the picture settings but its no good ,the picture is lacking the detail of the Aliens .

• Advertisement

No

DVB-T2 is required to receive Freeview HD which is a UK terrestrial service.

I sit corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Zardoz wrote: »
    I had been led to believe that the picture quality on the Mutant HD51 due to the Arm processor ,was as good as that of the SH4 receivers and better than similar MIPS based receivers.
    This receiver was to be the Holy Grail I had long been searching ,a powerful receiver with a good picture.

I have a few 1080p plasma sets so I am running the Mutant in 1080i mode ,not 4k.
    I'm very disappointed with the picture quality to say the least,SD and HD, its the same as other Mips based receivers I've had ,noticeably inferior to the Aliens.
    I've tried Openatv and Vix and tinkered with the picture settings but its no good ,the picture is lacking the detail of the Aliens .

When you say that the PQ isn't as good- is it something you can live with? Would others notice? Or is it something you are quite aware of?

Slevster wrote: »
    When you say that the PQ isn't as good- is it something you can live with? Would others notice? Or is it something you are quite aware of?

Its quite noticeable to me ,but I guess I am fussy.
    Saying that the wife commented on it as did my brother over to watch some golf .
    Its how the picture is rendered ,its like all other Mips based receivers ,the picture isn't as sharp or as clear as on the Aliens ,it looks blurry and lacks detail.
    Close ups of peoples faces look blurred ,the blacks lack detail ,colours look wrong,its just an inferior picture in both SD and HD.

Its quite noticeable to me ,but I guess I am fussy.
    Saying that the wife commented on it as did my brother over to watch some golf .
    Its how the picture is rendered ,its like all other Mips based receivers ,the picture isn't as sharp or as clear as on the Aliens ,it looks blurry and lacks detail.
    Close ups of peoples faces look blurred ,the blacks lack detail ,colours look wrong,its just an inferior picture in both SD and HD.

Fair enough. I've held off changing from the alien. ( haven heeded your advice that it's hard to beat the PQ of the alien).
    Will you persist with the new box, or revert?

I've been following a lot of hardware threads while I try decide what to upgrade to and was reading the mutant thread with interest till you popped up on it and dismissed the pic quality so I quickly crossed that off the list! I see the mag boxes are also Arm based, are they off any interest or are you strictly only looking for a satellite receiver?

Fair enough. I've held off changing from the alien. ( haven heeded your advice that it's hard to beat the PQ of the alien).
    Will you persist with the new box, or revert?

I'm not sure yet,I might try to tinker more with the settings but to be honest I know I am wasting my time.
    Its a very powerful box ,boots up in under 30 seconds and runs very nicely.
    It has a multiboot option so you can run different images on it just by rebooting .
    The only flaw is the picture quality .
    I've been following a lot of hardware threads while I try decide what to upgrade to and was reading the mutant thread with interest till you popped up on it and dismissed the pic quality so I quickly crossed that off the list! I see the mag boxes are also Arm based, are they off any interest or are you strictly only looking for a satellite receiver?

I have a Wetek Play ,thats Arm based too and the picture is poor on it.
    I'm looking for a more powerful satellite receiver than the Alien ,I have a T90 Wavefrontier dish with 8 satellites on it .

I've tried so many receivers at this stage to get one to replace the Aliens its becoming ridiculous,I thought the Mutant would offer a better picture because its an Arm processor instead of MIPS but it's the same result.
    I'm not sure what to do next.

I'm not sure yet,I might try to tinker more with the settings but to be honest I know I am wasting my time.
    It has a multiboot option so you can run different images on it just by rebooting .

I'm looking for a more powerful satellite receiver than the Alien ,I have a T90 Wavefrontier dish with 8 satellites on it .

I've tried so many receivers at this stage to get one to replace the Aliens its becoming ridiculous,I thought the Mutant would offer a better picture because its an Arm processor instead of MIPS but it's the same result.

Are there other sh4 boxes?

Why not keep the alien? Mine is running Hyperion 5.5 pretty much flawlessly and the missus gets a heap of FTA HD channels and records 2 channels at the same time no problem and as you said the picture quality is superb
    Edit; sorry I see you need something more powerful for your extra dishes

Are there other sh4 boxes?

I dont think so ,none more powerful than the Alien 2 anyway.
    There was supposed to be a dual core SH4 in development but it never came to fruition.
    Why not keep the alien? Mine is running Hyperion 5.5 pretty much flawlessly and the missus gets a heap of FTA HD channels and records 2 channels at the same time no problem and as you said the picture quality is superb
    Edit; sorry I see you need something more powerful for your extra dishes

The Alien runs the multi sat setup but I could do with a receiver with more memory for storing and loading the epgs .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭deezell

I dont think so ,none more powerful than the Alien 2 anyway.
    There was supposed to be a dual core SH4 in development but it never came to fruition.

The Alien runs the multi sat setup but I could do with a receiver with more memory for storing and loading the epgs .
    Though I'm still using the sab triple/ alien myself with your trusted build of pkt4.5, I can't fault the picture quality on either of two edisions I set up for family, the wee single tuner mini and it's big brother the powerful OS3+. I just can't see an issue with HD channels from sat, though I can't vouch for Saorview as the mini is sat only and the OS3 is abroad. RTE use DVB standard, not DVB2 for HD, so there is less broadcast resolution than than on say BBC HD on Astra. A number of boardies here have moved to the Edision Mega, which replaced the OS3+. A very comprehensive box with h.265 capability. I don't recall much comments about problems with picture quality, but there may be issues of matching the box AV settings to the source, e.g. AV set to progressive HD when watching an interlaced HD or SD channel. Edision mega owners might want to comment?

deezell wrote: »
    Though I'm still using the sab triple/ alien myself with your trusted build of pkt4.5, I can't fault the picture quality on either of two edisions I set up for family, the wee single tuner mini and it's big brother the powerful OS3+. I just can't see an issue with HD channels from sat, though I can't vouch for Saorview as the mini is sat only and the OS3 is abroad. RTE use DVB standard, not DVB2 for HD, so there is less broadcast resolution than than on say BBC HD on Astra. A number of boardies here have moved to the Edision Mega, which replaced the OS3+. A very comprehensive box with h.265 capability. I don't recall much comments about problems with picture quality, but there may be issues of matching the box AV settings to the source, e.g. AV set to progressive HD when watching an interlaced HD or SD channel. Edision mega owners might want to comment?

Thanks Deezell .
    I have an OS Mini ,must set it up for a friend,its back in its box .
    Picture quality is not as good as the Alien ,it's a Mips receiver.
    The difference in picture quality isnt huge but it is there.
    Its just a sharper picture especially SD. Colours are better too ,its kind of hard to explain,things just look clearer.

I thought about the OS Mega but its Mips so picture wont be as good as Alien ,that's why I bought the Mutant ,I had read on German forums that the picture is as good as the SH4 receivers ,but alas its not.
    Ive tried everything at this stage to try to improve the picture believe me,I have high end Panasonic Plasmas with extensive calibration settings ,its no good I can't get the picture as good ,I'm nearly demented at this stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone want to point me at the best image available for the EdisionOS Mini (DVB-S2 Twin Tuner Code: 14A_OSMINI_S2x2) and a guide to installing it?

I've never really changed it from the copy of ENIGMA that FreeTV had pre-installed on it when I bought it. I can see from the forum that there are new channels available since I bought it and the image I have seems a little glitchy (EPG often gets out of sync, the time goes out of sync when it's on for any extended duration and none of the Update functions in the systems menus are working.

Since we've had it nearly a year at this stage I reckon it must be long overdue an update anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Currently configuring the standard OpenVix image: http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/edision-images/

Lads Im sure this has been explained to me in a previous thread but how do I go about accessing my box via a smart tv? And does it include access to my recordings aswell?

Lads Im sure this has been explained to me in a previous thread but how do I go about accessing my box via a smart tv? And does it include access to my recordings aswell?

If it's Android Smart tv, download the app Dreamdroid, configure it with your box ip, port 80 for epg, movies, 8001 for live stream.

If it's Android Smart tv, download the app Dreamdroid, configure it with your box ip, port 80 for epg, movies, 8001 for live stream.

No unfortunately it's an LG, any app suitable for that?

No unfortunately it's an LG, any app suitable for that?

Have a Google to see is there an LG app store. If it has a browser put in box ip and get up WebIf, try tapping the Telly icon to see if the LG can read and stream the .m3u format. I think this came up before earlier this year?

Have a Google to see is there an LG app store. If it has a browser put in box ip and get up WebIf, try tapping the Telly icon to see if the LG can read and stream the .m3u format. I think this came up before earlier this year?

Cheers deezell I checked the lg App Store for dreamdroid but it's not there, I'll try the webif option as soon as the missus is finished torturing me with big brother

• Advertisement

Cheers deezell I checked the lg App Store for dreamdroid but it's not there, I'll try the webif option as soon as the missus is finished torturing me with big brother

There's a 3rd party app called Smart IPTV which works on Samsung and LG TVs, ostensibly for external iptv playlist viewing, but could be used to watch you box via a playlist of it's channels, which is effectively the box ip and port plus the channel id. There seems to be a menu item in the app for connecting to Dreambox enigma 2, which might import your box channels. Here's a screenshot from a YouTube how to video. Have a look at https://youtu.be/mecSTQdcRxc
    I don't have a Smart tv to fiddle with this, plus it requires a small fee to activate

Advertisement