Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treated very poorly in work

Options
  • 07-04-2017 7:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭

I'm in my current position almost 9 years. For the first 5 years all my yearly performance reviews were positive. However for the past 3 years my performance rating has been poor . This despite me being very good at my job and I also don't ever receive negative feedback. The place has gone downhill in recent years with massive headcount loss . It's become a very tough company to work for . Regular 1 :1 meetings with your supervisor don't really happen anymore .This performance rating affects the bonus payout.Im very disillusioned bitter and feel a massive sense of injustice. If I'm still here in 12 months I know I'll get the same score . I get the impression that my immediate team leader has very little input into my performance rating. My card is marked in there and I'm powerless to do anything about the situation. It feels like I'm being pushed out the door. Would appreciate some advice on how to go about appealing this injustice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's probably time to move on, start looking elsewhere for employment, you 'll probably end up banging your head against the wall trying to figure out where the pitch is don't mind figuring out where the goal posts are. Apologies but it's probably not great advice, I've no time for work nonsense such as this, there's more to life. Others will be a long soon with probably better advice. Best of luck

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What are the reasons given for your poor performance rating?-

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

IWould appreciate some advice on how to go about appealing this injustice

I'd just get a new job- life is short and this place sounds doomed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's a tactic to avoid paying redundancy by going you'll leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

It's a tactic to avoid paying redundancy by going you'll leave.

Do you not think it is unusual and self defeating to force a good employee to leave? If I were the OP I'd be wondering why my card is marked, the op also hasn't given any insight into what reasons the employer has given for poor scores.

Like other posters, I'd also suggest you move on, 3 years of bad reviews is too many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don't think you should be accepting these sloppy reviews.

There must be a reason given for a appor review, specific tangible reasons.

You should be pushing for a 1:1 with your Supervisor at the six month mark, actively ask for a mid year review and if it's not positive ask him to specify why and what you need to do to be successful or preferably outstanding.

Sooo
    The inside track on ranking and rating employees, it's a ****e thankless job in most companies. Supervisors hate it, I never liked it, and still don't.
    A lazy manager will identify weak quiet employees and dump on them regularly as it's a fair bet they'll take it and walk away muttering to themselves or moaning about on the internet rather than creating waves.
    Don't let yourself be that employee, be the squeaky wheel, be proactive, a 15 minute meeting with the supervisor mid year can show your expecting a positive review and likely to store things up if it's unfairly given to you.
    They don't owe you a positive review you have to go get it, like it or not there are bad reviews that must be given to someone and like I said, it often falls to the employee who will accept it.

Now, having said all that have there been issues during the year that the poor review is being hung on ?? It can be very tough ranking and rating a tight group of workers who all perform well, someone has to be bottom and it sometimes takes very little to be the bottom of a successful group.

Advertisement