Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 St George

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

peter kern wrote: »
    cant argue with fan boys joey

It's funny as I don't dislike Frodo at all, he's very professional and I gather spends a huge amount on having a professional team around him - ala Lance style to ensure every box is ticked.

but he's a bit Vanilla really isn't he...
    I mean I know he's German but still... there are a few funny ones out there... :pac::P;)

I didn't like his comment at Kona'16 bitching about Harry Wiltshire swimming tough with him near the pier. Sap.

I don't like the way he doesn't race the big races as much.

Those couple minor things, mirrored with my fanboy approach to Brownlee, Kienle and Sanders style of racing (Flat out, race the best, be a bit more public/controversial and less vanilla) has resulted in an apparent dislike of Frodo :D:confused:

Can't argue with his IM achievements thus far. But just not a huge fan.
    Wouldn't be half surprised to see him injured/retired next year if Brownlee comes on the scene and nails distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Fazz wrote: »
    I didn't like his comment at Kona'16 bitching about Harry Wiltshire swimming tough with him near the pier. Sap.

With Wiltshire's history, anyone who criticises him immediately goes up a notch or two in my opinion :D

EC1000 wrote: »
    With Wiltshire's history, anyone who criticises him immediately goes up a notch or two in my opinion :D

Try and watch this to the end without laughing.... I couldn't... :pac::D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1wnu0xzvjo

I know the whole Gomez blocking thing was pretty blatant and unfair. Poss his way of trying to make the 2012 Olympic Team or a favour or what who knows.
    Not the worst offence in the world though - he defo went over his head once, and then just stayed real close before having a slow steps exit in front of Gomez.
    Standard swim experience for most of us :pac::D

On a personal level, was lucky enough to share a few slices of pizza in Texas with a swim group there.
    Both Matt Hanson (Winner) and Harry Wiltshire were there and very down to earth and chatty. Seemed decent guys and not ignorant or anything and made the effort to turn up for a swim group social pizza and drink a few days pre race.
    Spoke with Harry more so and was asking him about IMSA - his derailleur broke apparently. Didn't dawn on me back to the Gomez incident but would've asked if I remembered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

l I would never be sure who would win the prick contest alister or frodo.
    At the same time it's part why they are so good
    And Johnny always in the shadow of alister
    Fazz wrote: »
    Try and watch this to the end without laughing.... I couldn't... :pac::D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1wnu0xzvjo

I know the whole Gomez blocking thing was pretty blatant and unfair. Poss his way of trying to make the 2012 Olympic Team or a favour or what who knows.
    Not the worst offence in the world though - he defo went over his head once, and then just stayed real close before having a slow steps exit in front of Gomez.
    Standard swim experience for most of us :pac::D

On a personal level, was lucky enough to share a few slices of pizza in Texas with a swim group there.
    Both Matt Hanson (Winner) and Harry Wiltshire were there and very down to earth and chatty. Seemed decent guys and not ignorant or anything and made the effort to turn up for a swim group social pizza and drink a few days pre race.
    Spoke with Harry more so and was asking him about IMSA - his derailleur broke apparently. Didn't dawn on me back to the Gomez incident but would've asked if I remembered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Going to put this in here because Tim Don was talked about earlier in the thread. Sets a new 'world record' time at Ironman Brazil over the weekend. 44 swim, 4.07 bike and a 2.44 marathon. Usually a fast course and a lot of talk around lead moto's on the bike too playing a big part. Either way it's still crazy fast, I don't really buy the world record thing but running a 2.44 marathon off that bike is fast. Has he finally made the big step up in full distance racing? Started well but went off the boil a bit, seemed to be better suited to the half distance, closer to the Olympic and sprint that he was very good at. He's 39 too so you wouldn't think a huge amount of time to really compete at Kona left, especially with the next batch of long distance lads coming through.

On slowtwitch he talked about his bike and the power output for the race. He was aiming for 4w/kg so for him around 250 watts. Lot less than some of the bigger cyclists like Sanders but enough for a smaller athlete to go that fast. Nice to see an average power that doesn't start with 3 as well, makes it seem a little closer to reality for someone smaller, like me, rather than numbers I can't even hold for 10 mins never mind 4 hours that usually follow a top bike split. Or maybe does this show the effect of the motor camera draft.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/Tim_Don_-_Ironman_record_smasher_6381.html

Challenge champs on this weekend too. Brownlee going for this and really is hard to see anyone challenging him after his performance in St George. BE interesting to see how Richard Murray goes, maybe not a fast enough swim to really trouble Brownlee over this distance and will be his first race at the distance but be good to see another of the top ITU lads go against Brownlee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I have to say I really enjoyed the Don interview. I was about to post a link to it in this thread earlier but got distracted at work. 2 things got me in to triathlon:

1. My best mates brother who reckoned I'd love it
    2. Watching London Triathlon on the BBC and Don just laid it all out there

This weekend should be a cracking race. I guess though, as illustrated by the Don interview, it's impossible to gauge how much emphasis the athletes are putting on a particular race. Don raced St George under fatigue from a focus on Brazil and was delighted with 4th.

With so many big names racing this weekend it should be a good one. Is it live online or anything?

You'd get the impression from Murray on social media that he's there to mix it up and cause an upset.

They say there is a live stream alright P, here's the link,

http://www.thechampionship.de/?page_id=1616

No idea if it will just be a camera at the finish line or a full following of the race though. Think they had a live feed from one of there races in Qatar or Abu ~Dhabi that was pretty good.

Murray seems to have been doing a fair bit of work alright to get ready for this race, same as Sanders so should be good race.

joey100 wrote: »
    They say there is a live stream alright P, here's the link,

No idea if it will just be a camera at the finish line or a full following of the race though. Think they had a live feed from one of there races in Qatar or Abu ~Dhabi that was pretty good.

Murray seems to have been doing a fair bit of work alright to get ready for this race, same as Sanders so should be good race.

Live streaming with a few cameras and commentary from Belinda Granger so should be of similar quality to Bahrain that time so lovely turbo viewing!

Hoping it will be uploaded afterwards too as those of us in Athy will miss out.

Samorin:

Sanders out for a better bike split (330w st George vs normal 360w for 70.3).
    Kienle likely in better shape.
    Brownlee likely in better shape.
    Murray giving it a shot.
    Varga the fish to take out swim.

I''m sure there's others, but not sure they can reach the podium.
    Should add bike course is pancake flat. Kienle averaged 42kph on course recce 30bpm lower than race pace.
    So a 1:52-1:55 bike split I'd imagine.

Brownlee to go off front again.
    Sanders to destroy himself and bike better and take back maybe 2mins, maybe 3 on Brownlee.
    Kienle better be in top nick or he'll be a distant 3rd at best into T2.
    Murray an unknown.

I think Sanders brings a better race here, but can't see Brownlee being beaten. Be nice to see them run together though.
    Murray... well he is likely to be just down in swim. I don't think he can bike as strong as Brownlee so perhaps 3rd into T2 with Kienle?

1 - Brownlee
    2 - Sanders
    3 - Murray/Kienle (can't decide)

I'd pretty much agree Fazz, Varga and Brownlee to lead out of the swim. If Murray and Kienle get out together though and Sanders catches quick they might be able to work together to catch Brownlee. Still reckon he would beat them all on the run but I think it might be a bit closer for him than the races he's done so far. Course being flat as well should suit the more powerful riders, Brownlee obviously very good on the bike but St George and Gran Canaria both hilly enough courses and prob suit his power to weight, flat course like this might suit the riders with bigger numbers more (Sanders, Kienle and Murray). Still epxecting Brownlee to win the race but hoping it's a bit closer!

I'd pretty much agree Fazz, Varga and Brownlee to lead out of the swim. If Murray and Kienle get out together though and Sanders catches quick they might be able to work together to catch Brownlee. Still reckon he would beat them all on the run but I think it might be a bit closer for him than the races he's done so far. Course being flat as well should suit the more powerful riders, Brownlee obviously very good on the bike but St George and Gran Canaria both hilly enough courses and prob suit his power to weight, flat course like this might suit the riders with bigger numbers more (Sanders, Kienle and Murray). Still epxecting Brownlee to win the race but hoping it's a bit closer!

The whole flat course suiting higher watts is still a debate I can't find proper data to prove to be honest.

CDA seems to be more important but on flat course with no wind then granted it may yield a min or two given same w/kg.. Not a lot more though imo.
    Posted on ST just there as a coincidence some data points on it in the Don thread if interested.
    W/kg and CDA seem relevant and more important than having higher watts on an average course. But Samorin is prob one of the only courses where the bigger watts for same w/kg should yield faster times.

I don't think Kienle and Murray will be strong enough to hold Sanders on the bike. Sanders was 30 watts down and Kienle just about held him.
    Hopefully Kienle was on a similar bad day in which case it may help.
    Kienle being more aero should help on this course too though so could be a battle royale.

• Advertisement

there is nil chance that kienle will come out the water with murray.
    murray would make the big lead pack in 70.3 worlds.

this will be intersting if murray is fully prepared and has done serious tt bike work ( which i dodnt know he is and he did that ) i would give him a good chance to win ( i would put a few pounds on him runing faster in a half than alister by close to a min i cant see a faster 70.3 runner than him. he is strong and fast .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I was thinking the same re Murray, if he can keep the swim defecit to a minimum and his bike is in good shape I can see him being on the podium and in for a shout to win.

stein ( in shape a podium thread) clavel dreitz bozzoni ralert that is fire power on the bike .
    so you would guess murray will be with clavel bozzoni and ralert on the bike dreitz will join after 25 or so k
    stein had the fastest bike in kona last year ... and is a serious runner over 70.3

great coverage but a bit of a joke how close the camera and bikes were in front of brownlee i dont thnk many people that watched the bike felt sorry for alister dropping out. ( still a class bike ride but not very fair if you saw how close he was when with dreitz and raelert they keept 20 m he maybe 10 -12 meter he should have gotten a drafting penalty
    and the motor bikes were a serious joke

at least with sanders and kienle they filmed mostly from behind.
    no doubt sanders deserved to win

what was most annoying was when they ( race commentator and challenge Ceo ) spoke about how fair the race was while everybody could see what was happening with moto bikes.
    i think the 20 m rule is great and kudos for challenge to have that. but everybody saw alister should have gotten a penalty and everbody saw the motorbikes . at times is looked like the challenge sub 2 bike project with alister surrounded by 4 motorbikes .....

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

What happened to Brownlee? Did he finish?

What happened to Brownlee? Did he finish?

i guess he run out of energy and likely did not have a great day as his swim was prob a bit off too. iam sure many people now will say it was the heat but he cracked already after 1 k or so into the run.

I think his biggest problem is again he wants to do everything like a few years ago where he wanted to race the oly race and 10k track a the commonwealth games .
    i dont think he is as astute as gomez who got away with it . doing oly and 70.3 .
    alister is more a guy with few peaks rather than a week in week out grinder like sanders or gomez for that matter. alister is a formula one race car but it also needs a lot of fine tuning to run well. and when the wheels come off they come off spectacularly. but then he will win the next race .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Avoiding posts and social media/reports, any links to race coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Avoiding posts and social media/reports, any links to race coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

peter kern wrote: »
    great coverage but a bit of a joke how close the camera and bikes were in front of brownlee i dont thnk many people that watched the bike felt sorry for alister dropping out...

I don't see why was it Alistair's fault if official moto was filming him from too close and hence giving him decent draft, the only fault is with the organizer IMO...

That being said, no doubt sanders deserved to win indeed. It was a great event although at times, a bit fun to watch since some cameras were doing quite amateur job...

• Advertisement

were do i say that the motortbikes are ali's fault ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I tuned in to this as Ali came out of T2. What a battle between Sebi & Sanders. The hand out from Sebi as they came against each other before the finish was a nice touch. Real sportmanship. Both Sebi and Sanders came across really well in the post race interviews.

What about Charles performing like that 2 weeks after Lanza? Unreal.

I really enjoyed what I saw of it. Great racing on the mens and womens side.

I only seen bits and pieces of it too, when I seen the bike I was thinking that maybe this race didn't have the new challenge rule of the 20m draft. The benefit A got from the bikes was big and even though it's hard to judge on a head on camera he didn't look like he was back as far as some of the others were. Great battle between the top 2, I folow Richard Murray a bit, wasn't too surprised he didn't win but was that he was around 10 mins behind the winner.

Could Lucy Charles challenge Daniella Ryf? Maybe not this year but could she be a proper challenger? Her swimming is definitely better but can she compete with Ryf on the bike and run?

Advertisement