Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing moss from lawn

Options
  • 07-04-2017 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭

I was intending to use sulfate of iron and then scarify the lawn to get rid of extensive moss cover in a 0.5 acre lawn but I don't want to lawn to be in poor condition in about a months time - family event!

Could anyone advise if treating the lawn with mo bacter or evergreen 4 in 1 would reduce the moss cover or at least improve the grass quality in the short term? Will probably go down the iron sulphate and scarifier route at a later point in order to to a more complete job.

Also I don't currently have a lawn fertilizer spreader and was wondering if a standard broadcast lawn spreader would do the job or would I be as well off just spreading by hand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dig all

Hey there .
    I would use mo bactor you don't have to rake out and if you over seed where moss is worst and spread some good topsoil over it and rake it in it will do the job . We done that and It worked well for us but moss will always come back every year if you don't treat lawn .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Thanks. As a matter of interest how did you spread the mo bactor? Currently don't having a spreader but thinking of picking up a small broadcast spreader for the job as the last time I spread fertilizer by hand I ended up with a pretty streaky garden!! Also the stuff isn't cheap so I want to put in on as evenly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Please let us know how you get on. I posted here a few days ago asking about Mobacter. I am also trying to find somewhere in Galway that sells it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Discodog wrote: »
    Please let us know how you get on. I posted here a few days ago asking about Mobacter. I am also trying to find somewhere in Galway that sells it

You could try online. A number of garden centres deliver nationwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

May be a myth but I hear urinating on it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    May be a myth but I hear urinating on it helps.

Do well to cover a half acre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yfaykya

I'm in Galway looking to get mo bactor too. I saw a few places online. Perhaps we could put in a bulk order?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

yfaykya wrote: »
    I'm in Galway looking to get mo bactor too. I saw a few places online. Perhaps we could put in a bulk order?!

I picked up a bag this morning in Dangan House Garden Centre @ 32euro for 20kg
    Or 2 for 60euro
    They had about 6 bags left.

Advertisement