Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ZV on a Benz R129?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Indeed, my own ZV-reg '76 Merc is a Mercedes-Benz Other - I should go to the UK and bring in an R129 and get an extra set of my plates made up... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Type 17 wrote: »
    Indeed, my own ZV-reg '76 Merc is a Mercedes-Benz Other - I should go to the UK and bring in an R129 and get an extra set of my plates made up... :pac:

Ah but then you'd become part of the problem.

What could potentially happen in a case like this if someone encountered a garda or customs and excise (would they have any jurisdiction) or something who knew what they were looking at?

Is it fines and back tax or just car to the crusher?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't see how the plates could be used on any car just cause the description of the car was "Other".
    Surely the chassis number is still noted against the reg.

I had an Alfa 166 that was recorded as Alfa Other.

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't see how the plates could be used on any car just cause the description of the car was "Other".

Yeah but that would depend on the chassis number being checked. When's the last time anyone looked at your chassis number at a checkpoint?

If they run the reg it comes back as something plausible....which is the end of most enquiries

mickdw wrote: »

The lazy data entry means that a Garda checking the reg can't see exactly what model belongs to that reg, so further investigation is required, such as opening the bonnet to check the VIN/chassis no. (which most Gardai won't bother with/have time for) - If you had a 80's "Alfa Other", on a ZV reg, but had the reg on an early 90's 164 3.0, you could avoid €1753 motor tax per year (€1809 less €56), and the car might be a UK import still owing VRT, and could even be a stolen vehicle...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

wexie wrote: »

What could potentially happen in a case like this if someone encountered a garda or customs and excise (would they have any jurisdiction) or something who knew what they were looking at?

Is it fines and back tax or just car to the crusher?
    I got pulled over at a service station near the port in Dublin by customs when I was putting on copy plates for 4x4 that in had imported. ( they take them off in nz on export) . All was good but I figure they must have some powers.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I got pulled over at a service station near the port in Dublin by customs when I was putting on copy plates for 4x4 that in had imported. ( they take them off in nz on export) . All was good but I figure they must have some powers.

Yeah I was just wondering cause I've always heard it's not really the gardai you need to watch out for in these scenario's but the customs lads.

As it is after one half dodgy land rover purchase I made the decision to just not drive anything that could be taken off me on the spot.

wexie wrote: »

I was being sarcastic, I have no intention of doing it, but if I had less scruples, it might be tempting (it obviously was for some R129 owners...).

Surely there are plenty gardai with interest in cars, more so in traffic corp possibly that would have been able to establish on sight that that Mercedes SL 0was nowhere near vintage when it first appeared on a zv plate. This is going back 5 or 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭flatty

I'm looking at a 129 at present.
    It has a couple of small rust spots, one below a rear light, and one above a wheel arch. Does this mean I should avoid at all costs? The sills and arches look good otherwise.
    30 plus yrs old, 30 stamps in service book.

• Advertisement

The R129 on came out in early ‘89 (and even then, probably not in RHD at that stage) so, unless you’re looking at a LHD pre-production example, it’s probably not 30 years old yet.

Rust spots: Get a look at the whole underside on a lift if you can - the visible rust spots may just badly repaired parking dings, but if the underside (especially the suspension parts) looks crusty, then it’s more of a general issue, and you should look at other examples instead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

flatty wrote: »
    I'm looking at a 129 at present.
    It has a couple of small rust spots, one below a rear light, and one above a wheel arch. Does this mean I should avoid at all costs? The sills and arches look good otherwise.
    30 plus yrs old, 30 stamps in service book.
    The very first 129s won't be turning 30 until 2020, no?

Does the one you're looking at have an NCT? Worth 10x stamps in a service book, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭flatty

I'm not worried about the classic tax, the age was just a ballpark. It has AN MOT for a year. It's in the UK.
    I appreciate the advice, thanks. I'll do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

flatty wrote: »
    I'm not worried about the classic tax, the age was just a ballpark. It has AN MOT for a year. It's in the UK.
    I appreciate the advice, thanks. I'll do that.

Watch uk cars for rust. Lift out the screen wash bottle, it's a likely spot. Check the bonnet latches and under the battery (from under the car). They will all run at the wings. I'd be more worried about the soft top operation. It's not electric but hydraulic. Cycle it plenty of times and check for leaks at the a pillars and underneath the back of the doors. Above all never jump start one, it tends to killl the top control module €1300 + vat. Don't bother with the 280 or 320. The difference in fuel economy is marginal, but in power enormous. Genuine mercedes service parts are cheap, often cheaper than a motor factors. Slight scratching on the side window is common. If you do buy it, I have a spare hard top

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

37145892_2063667713961625_7308960514363621376_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=02cd3e1265e38f30c84b81b2f0c5281e&oe=5BD7B23F

• Registered Users Posts: 19,039 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's a spotless Mercedes-Benz Other.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Registered as a 1978 Mercedes E200 2000cc

The Mercedes W202 came out in 1993, and this owner brings one to a classic show with a ‘78 reg - how did he think that no one would notice? (that a ‘93 car isn’t yet a classic) :pac:

That’s even got the later rear lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Its the facelift version from '97 on.

• Advertisement

So what’s the process in reporting something like this. I think it’s insurance fraud, tax evasion and it undermines the whole principle of enjoying classic cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Ah, you saw that on facebob too :D

What a shambles. People like that will eventually f*ck it up for the rest of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So what’s the process in reporting something like this. I think it’s insurance fraud, tax evasion and it undermines the whole principle of enjoying classic cars.

added to the fraud, driving an uninsured car (the vehicle covered is not this one)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

Isambard wrote: »
    added to the fraud, driving an uninsured car (the vehicle covered is not this one)
    Think it’s time for show organizers to set up a
    separate section for ‘vintage number plates’

colm_mcm wrote: »

But seriously. This is bullplop.

i think you'll say different if such a car hits yours and you find a world of pain trying to claim on their insurance.

i think you'll say different if such a car hits yours and you find a world of pain trying to claim on their insurance.

Clearly I mean from our pov. I want the gobshoite in stocks and reported.

What kind of a gobsh1te brings that to a car show. The cute type who would be running around on such plates on the quiet would steer clear of such a show given that the car is nowhere near correct.
    He should end up in court over that one.
    Avoiding the need for an nct too means he is free to roam until a cop opens his eyes and asks the question.

Clearly I mean from our pov. I want the gobshoite in stocks and reported.

not at all clear. By quoting it gave the impression that you were giving your opinion of the quote.

• Advertisement

not at all clear. By quoting it gave the impression that you were giving your opinion of the quote.

I dunno. That I'm posting in here at all coupled with my previous comments woud give context I woudl have thought. Anyway nevermind, we're on the same page.

Advertisement