Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of pests in a greenhouse

Options
  • 07-04-2017 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I had a load of spider mites and some other critter that was eating leaves and also killed young seedlings in my greenhouse last year.

Do they live through the winter and if so any tips on preparing a greenhouse before I put in the new small plants?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Housekeeping is the first step. Thoroughly clean out your greenhouse in autumn and keep it clean. You can use something like Jeyes Fluid in dilute form but make sure it doesn't get on your plants or soil. Check any plants you are overwintering for signs of the pests, e.g. tiny webs, and eliminate them, spider mite will overwinter on them.There are also various types of insecticides and nematodes which produce varying results.
    Spider mite don't like damp conditions so misting the greenhouse can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Thanks, great advice Marhay70. Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

After cleaning up everything then you can use a sulphur candle to get anything you have missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Boil few garlic and then spray the water around.
    Its organic and should keep it clean.

Advertisement