Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oppressive moderation in blogging forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

biko wrote: »
    I think my first post in this thread clarified that -
    "did you never wonder why the forum is under the Tech category and not under Soc?
    It is because it's a help forum for technical questions and not at all intended for beauty/fashion stuff"

We were directed by moderators from the beauty and fashion to this forum . There were no objections from you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Has anyone considered making a forum request for something like a "Bloggers" forum?

Where do I make such a recommendation? And is it even worthwhile? It'll prob be shot down like everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

anna080 wrote: »
    Where do I make such a recommendation? And is it even worthwhile? It'll prob be shot down like everything else.

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Has anyone considered making a forum request for something like a "Bloggers" forum?

I've been thinking on and off this morning, and I think this is a forum request that needs to be logged.

The blogging topic has grown past its initial roots in F&A. So I don't think that's the best forum.

I think it's worth discussing a new "Social Media" forum (not sure if that's the right title yet) where the growth of social influencers, ethics, advertising regulations etc can be discussed.

dudara wrote: »
    I've been thinking on and off this morning, and I think this is a forum request that needs to be logged.

The blogging topic has grown past its initial roots in F&A. So I don't think that's the best forum.

I think it's worth discussing a new "Social Media" forum (not sure if that's the right title yet) where the growth of social influencers, ethics, advertising regulations etc can be discussed.

That would be brilliant then the right person can be assigned to it and we won't be moved to different forums..
    In fairness these threads have made a big difference to the industry and ensuring guidelines are being followed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As suggested - a specific Bloggers forum sounds like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

To speed your request try to be clear on the what, why and where. If you get enough early support it can be fast tracked through the process.
    Clearly this is easier when we know exactly what's being asked for too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Prinks

biko wrote: »
    Irish blogger discussion were discontinued in Fashion and Beauty where it belongs.
    My forum is a technical forum but have humoured you until today.

There are AH threads, maybe you can post there?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101947466
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102855179

I haven't joined in the blog discussions, don't know whether the decision to close threads was justified or not, but why would you claim to have 'humoured' posters? Why mention handbags and bitchiness? That all seems very odd :(

If done right, this could also be a great resource for bloggers to use also. Topics like growing follower numbers, SEO, rate cards, engaging with brands & PR companies and all round general support could be on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

If done right, this could also be a great resource for bloggers to use also. Topics like growing follower numbers, SEO, rate cards, engaging with brands & PR companies and all round general support could be on offer.

I would love to see this happen.

• Advertisement

Prinks wrote: »
    I haven't joined in the blog discussions, don't know whether the decision to close threads was justified or not, but why would you claim to have 'humoured' posters? Why mention handbags and bitchiness? That all seems very odd :(
    "Put down the handbags" is a common term for when people are fighting and used frequently on boards - it's not particularly intended as sexist
    www.google.ie/search?q="put+down+the+handbags"+site:boards.ie

The humouring part was that when the first thread popped up I thought it would be nice with some change from the techy aspects of the forum.

It quickly started generating a lot of reports and I didn't realise it would generate as much work as the entire Motors category.

For a year I kept up as a single mod, until today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

looksee wrote: »
    Biko has said that the forum is for discussing technical aspects of blogs etc. So maybe the solution is for him to put a large pinned notice at the start saying that that is what it is for, rather than popping up after the fact to make dismissive comments about a genuine mistake on the part of a number of posters and apparently a few other mods.

Then Boards should decide whether a forum for discussing blog content is needed, and supply it.

Just having a quick look at that forum and the blogging threads seem to dwarf everything else there in terms of views and posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The majority of those who contribute to the threads in question are long standing boards members who also greatly contribute in other areas of the message boards, it's not like we only come here to b*tch and moan.
    I can't tell you how offensive I find it to be branded as a bored hysterical woman with nothing better to do with her time. The majority of the time the conversation is articulate, respectful, and most importantly, accurate.
    It's not like we're going around making up lies about these bloggers, in fact I would argue that 99.9999% of what's posted in these threads is completely true.
    Which is why I don't understand the hostility towards posters who want to discuss these issues at all, from a legal point of view.
    I really don't feel catered to here any more and find myself not bothering getting involved in blogging discussion as there's no doubt the topic will soon be shut down with a snide comment from the Mod.
    I've never seen anotjer subject so heavily monitored or discouraged on Boards and there's far worse things said about public figures in other areas of the boards.
    The community of posters here who are interested in this topic are intelligent and compelling and I want to discuss the topics with them, not on Facebook as we were so helpfully recommended.
    Regardless, the current system isn't benefitting anyone. It's clear Biko thinks we're all idiots and has no interest in 'humouring' us, yet no other forum want us either.
    A resolution needs to be agreed on because at the moment it's just creating a bad atmosphere between mods and users.
    I think a blogging forum is a fabulous idea and will be gratefully received by those interested in the subject.

Just having a quick look at that forum and the blogging threads seem to dwarf everything else there in terms of views and posts.

I agree I had a look too and the the majority of discussion is blogging ect maybe a couple of other posts about tech

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

With respect, Biko, I don't think that it's up to you to mansplain what we found sexist.

I find being told to "put down the handbags" as sexist, regardless of any other place it's been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

To be honest, I am shocked by some of the moderator responses here. The "humoured you" comment is beyond patronising and Biko's attempt to quantify what that comment meant doesn't cut the mustard for me. Then the advice to go to Fashion and Appearance when F & A moved the thread on. Then further advice to go to AH when they too closed it down. I'm sorry,but is there no investigation into any of the complaints logged? It seems like there isn't if such ill and contradictory advice is been given out. As for the suggestion to move to Facebook, what a cop out. I think at least one mod needs to address how poorly handled all of this has been and ownership be taken of the patronising way in which users have and are being treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

My own suggestion would be not to limit it to blogs. Maybe "Online Media" would be a better name and allow it to include written blogs, vlogs and even official Twitter/Facebook/Youtube accounts. They are all things that are related and should probably be monitored in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

My own suggestion would be not to limit it to blogs. Maybe "Online Media" would be a better name and allow it to include written blogs, vlogs and even official Twitter/Facebook/Youtube accounts. They are all things that are related and should probably be monitored in one place.

To be honest, you're the first mod who has offered some genuine help and advice here and in a fashion that has not been contradictory, patronising, sexist or disregarding. Thank you.

This sounds like a good idea. :)

You could also see our confusion though considering the board that we post in was called 'webs> blogs/wiki's/social media' and I think that covers it all, but maybe we need something a bit more specific and a mod that actually explains what the forum is actually for.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    The majority of those who contribute to the threads in question are long standing boards members who also greatly contribute in other areas of the message boards, it's not like we only come here to b*tch and moan.
    I can't tell you how offensive I find it to be branded as a bored hysterical woman with nothing better to do with her time. The majority of the time the conversation is articulate, respectful, and most importantly, accurate.
    It's not like we're going around making up lies about these bloggers, in fact I would argue that 99.9999% of what's posted in these threads is completely true.
    Which is why I don't understand the hostility towards posters who want to discuss these issues at all, from a legal point of view.
    I really don't feel catered to here any more and find myself not bothering getting involved in blogging discussion as there's no doubt the topic will soon be shut down with a snide comment from the Mod.
    I've never seen anotjer subject so heavily monitored or discouraged on Boards and there's far worse things said about public figures in other areas of the boards.
    The community of posters here who are interested in this topic are intelligent and compelling and I want to discuss the topics with them, not on Facebook as we were so helpfully recommended.
    Regardless, the current system isn't benefitting anyone. It's clear Biko thinks we're all idiots and has no interest in 'humouring' us, yet no other forum want us either.
    A resolution needs to be agreed on because at the moment it's just creating a bad atmosphere between mods and users.
    I think a blogging forum is a fabulous idea and will be gratefully received by those interested in the subject.

Very well said most of us who comment on these threads were followers of bloggers who started to notice how people were being fed lies ect to sell products and promote businesses.. the majority of us still follow the smaller bloggers who are being affected by the handful who have brought the blogging industry into disrepute.. we want to be able to discuss this... past threads have helped highlight the issues and now most bloggers are following the rules .. however there are still a few who are refusing to be compliant ...

we would like to be able to discuss issues that arise for example Marissa carter calling out bloggers for the very same thing that's in these threads .. that was hugely highlighted all over Twitter and social influencers wrote pieces about it and yet we get shut down for the most minuscule things..
    imo we'd encourage bloggers to join the threads with their opinions..
    we have been following the guidelines no one has been ripped apart in any way shape or form only the actions they make very public are discussed here ..
    I personally wouldn't be comfortable with sexist comments on the new forum or being chastised constantly while I am
    Following the rules..
    No do I want to be told to go to Facebook or the pub for discussing a topic on a forum for discussions

• Advertisement

It would be great if someone can take the initiative and log the request for a new forum, as earlier mentioned. Please try to provide as much information as possible to support the forum.

It would be great if someone can take the initiative and log the request for a new forum, as earlier mentioned. Please try to provide as much information as possible to support the forum.

Done. Posters feel free to add your bit I didn't cover everything.

As Anna is the op let's see if she'd like to do this ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

Really glad to see a good solution is being offered for this issue; when I began commenting a few months ago it became immediately apparent that people had to mind everything they were saying due to the constant threat of the thread being closed - many a time myself I wrote and rewrote (and at times deleted) posts as I was not quite sure what would be considered "gossip" I'm the thread as opposed to genuine discussion which is what the thread was 99.9% of the time. The other few occasions someone went out of line most of the regular posters made a point of reminding that poster to stay on track etc.
    If one or a handful of posters are out of line, they should be dealt with themselves, as was done on occasion, but to just close down an entire thread without ever directly dealing with what was deemed inappropriate (I'd be very interested to see what exactly from the last thread was against rules) is ridiculously unfair, especially when it doesn't seem like there was anything other than facts, with relevant screenshot s etc, being shared.
    Hope to see a positive solution to this soon, one where I'm not half afraid to open the thread because the mod was the last to post!!

Mekekka wrote: »
    Really glad to see a good solution is being offered for this issue; when I began commenting a few months ago it became immediately apparent that people had to mind everything they were saying due to the constant threat of the thread being closed - many a time myself I wrote and rewrote (and at times deleted) posts as I was not quite sure what would be considered "gossip" I'm the thread as opposed to genuine discussion which is what the thread was 99.9% of the time. The other few occasions someone went out of line most of the regular posters made a point of reminding that poster to stay on track etc.
    If one or a handful of posters are out of line, they should be dealt with themselves, as was done on occasion, but to just close down an entire thread without ever directly dealing with what was deemed inappropriate (I'd be very interested to see what exactly from the last thread was against rules) is ridiculously unfair, especially when it doesn't seem like there was anything other than facts, with relevant screenshot s etc, being shared.
    Hope to see a positive solution to this soon, one where I'm not half afraid to open the thread because the mod was the last to post!!

I completely agree.

Anna has set up a request post over in Forum Requests so I think anyone who really would like to see a new thread/board to go ahead, should pop on over and +1 it so hopefully we can finally have a place to discuss x :)

If anyone is interested in this request please post +1

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057726855/1/#post103151887

Biko id appreciate as a parting gesture if you could provide a link in all of the closed threads to the suggestion I've made in forum requests, so anyone who visits those sites can +1 for a new forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Biko id appreciate as a parting gesture if you could provide a link in all of the closed threads to the suggestion I've made in forum requests, so anyone who visits those sites can +1 for a new forum.
    Sure, no problem.

• Advertisement

That would be greatly appreciated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement