Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chrome message - your connection is not private

Options
  • 07-04-2017 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Getting this message this morning when I try and enter google.ie or access my gmail

the full message is:

attackers might be trying to steal your information from google.ie (for example passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_WEAK_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM

I've deleted history, synced correct date etc but no dice. Even trying to log into boards throws up this error message in chrome. Boards.ie can be accessed but hit the login button and the error message shows up again

Any ideas what the problem is here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Corporate proxy can cause this message. If you surf internet in work this warning is telling you they can read your mail etc (mitm attack).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

i'm not in work though i'm using a personal laptop.

The other laptop in the house isn't having the same issues though, its working fine.

Probably malware on laptop so.

Ran an anti virus scan there and nothing showing up at all its a strange one

Your antivirus might be crap. Have you got loads of dodgy browser extensions installed?

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Your antivirus might be crap. Have you got loads of dodgy browser extensions installed?

no extensions at all, I never have extensions. Completely baffled to be honest, it was working perfectly fine last night

Your antivirus might actually be the cause of the error, try disabling it and see if it goes away. What are you using?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/-LjiIraWUqk

Usually error is caused by website with obsolete cert, or old version of chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Is the version of chrome the same on both machines?

newer versions of chrome are more strict on older https certificates, and are warning you that the encryption is not as good as it used to be.

the site that you are connecting to should upgrade their certificate

Your antivirus might actually be the cause of the error, try disabling it and see if it goes away. What are you using?

Usually error is caused by website with obsolete cert, or old version of chrome.

im using microsoft security essentials

the other laptop is using the exact same but is able to use google chrome perfectly fine

It's probably a bug in that specific version of chrome, lots of people complaining. Try updating or rolling back. Or try firefox if it really annoys you.

• Advertisement

kierank01 wrote: »
    Is the version of chrome the same on both machines?

newer versions of chrome are more strict on older https certificates, and are warning you that the encryption is not as good as it used to be.

the site that you are connecting to should upgrade their certificate

yeah same version of chrome on both machines ive checked that

ive temporarily disabled the micosoft security essentials and its still throwing up the error message

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Show us the complete cert that you're seeing for google.ie or gmail when it complains.

Spear wrote: »
    Show us the complete cert that you're seeing for google.ie or gmail when it complains.

Here it is. Its the same message thrown up when trying to access facebook, log in to boards etc..

Lolll not clicking on a dodgy word document attachment :)

Lolll not clicking on a dodgy word document attachment :)
    what should I save it as? apologies for inconvenience

As an image or plain text is fine.

vbulletin2mopnyx.png9

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Blanco100 wrote: »

That image is tiny, was it meant to be that size?

We need to see the cert itself. Open https://gmail.com, and let it complain, then press F12, go to the security tab, and the cert will be available there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

what happens if you do a tracert to www.google.ie? does it take the same path, does it go to the same destination?

We need to see the cert itself. Open https://gmail.com, and let it complain, then press F12, go to the security tab, and the cert will be available there.

Nothing happens when I press f12, is there another way into the security tab?

Its not just gmail it won't let me open though, its facebook, even boards (only when I try to login to boards though)

kierank01 wrote: »
    what happens if you do a tracert to www.google.ie? does it take the same path, does it go to the same destination?

Pardon my IT illiteracy but what do you mean by tracert?

Ctrl+shift+j should do the same thing.

Ctrl+shift+j should do the same thing.

That has opened something, however what is it i'm supposed to be specifically looking for?

That's the dev console, you'll have a set of tabs along the top of it, with security being towards the right.

That's the dev console, you'll have a set of tabs along the top of it, with security being towards the right.

I've found that now and I see the certificates

What am I looking for exactly if I may ask?

Grab the stuff under secure connection, just copy and paste the text here. That'll give the cipher choice to begin with.

Then hit view cert, and the first page that appears should give some basic details (issuer, date etc), copy and paste those too.

Grab the stuff under secure connection, just copy and paste the text here. That'll give the cipher choice to begin with.

Then hit view cert, and the first page that appears should give some basic details (issuer, date etc), copy and paste those too.

This is what appears under Security overview. The other 2 options are greyed out

Certificate Error

There are issues with the site's certificate chain (net::ERR_CERT_WEAK_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM).
    View certificate

SHA-1 Certificate
    The certificate chain for this site contains a certificate signed using SHA-1.
    View certificate

Secure Resources
    All resources on this page are served securely.

Obsolete Connection Settings
    The connection to this site uses a strong protocol (TLS 1.2), an obsolete key exchange (RSA), and a strong cipher (AES_128_GCM).

• Advertisement

It also says "This page is not secure (Broken HTTPS)"

Advertisement