Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chrome message - your connection is not private

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Googe's current certs are SHA256, not SHA1, which browsers will increasingly object to, as you're seeing now.

Hit the view cert button and grab those details too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Spear wrote: »
    Googe's current certs are SHA256, not SHA1, which browsers will increasingly object to, as you're seeing now.

Hit the view cert button and grab those details too.

How come the other laptop (exact same model) is working perfectly though?

When I hit "view cert" what info do you need? its not allowing me to copy and paste that info

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Blanco100 wrote: »
    How come the other laptop (exact same model) is working perfectly though?

When I hit "view cert" what info do you need? its not allowing me to copy and paste that info

A screen shot of the cert info would do.

But I want to see what cert it's using and where it's coming from. The fact that the other laptop doesn't would seem to suggest it's something local to the machine in question.

There are 3 tabs -General-Details-Certification path

General is fine to start with.

• Advertisement

tried uploading screenshot not sure its working

vbulletin5etyxd.png

It won't embed as you're linking to the page, not the image. But the image is still tiny.

I should also point out that in the last hour my computer has been unable to establish a wifi connection whatsoever. The only means of accessing the internet on the laptop in question is via an ethernet cable, this has never been the case before.

The other laptop remains working fine, the wifi network appears straight away on boot up

Cannot figure this out at all

• Advertisement

Can you see the small image on the first or second post above?

vbulletin34evj1c.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Blanco100 wrote:
    attackers might be trying to steal your information from google.ie (for example passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_WEAK_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM

This is caused by the website still using an old sha-1 certificate. Chrome update 56 I think started checking for this. Use IE or Firefox, and complain to the site.

Can you see the small image on the first or second post above?

http://i65.tinypic.com/34evj1c.png

It's a little hard to make out, but does that issue say MS-NMSecurity ?

This is caused by the website still using an old sha-1 certificate. Chrome update 56 I think started checking for this. Use IE or Firefox, and complain to the site.

But as i've said previously, another laptop in the house (exact same laptop, which same version of chrome etc) is working fine and can run chrome.

My own laptop now seems to also be unable to pick up any wifi connections, I am presuming this is linked to the problem with chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

What is the date and time on your PC?

Can see it screens.

It's a little hard to make out, but does that issue say MS-NMSecurity ?

yes it does

valid from 29/03/2017 to 21/06/2017

my wifi connection is gone now aswell, not even recognising it to be honest

Suckit wrote: »
    What is the date and time on your PC?

thats all in order, I did a google search and saw that was one of the common fixes but its all in order.

It was working perfectly fine up until this morning

yes it does

valid from 29/03/2017 to 21/06/2017

my wifi connection is gone now aswell, not even recognising it to be honest

So while the dates matches the recent Google certs, that's not the issuer.

So something is acting as a proxy, but I'm not familiar enough with MS Security Essentials to say if that's how their certs appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Could your chrome be corrupted?

The wee men in our house downloaded some virus ridden yoke and it corrupted Chrome even after I got rid of the virus, in the end I just uninstalled and reinstalled chrome and it was fine....

Edit : now I think of it, security essentials didn't pick it up, but adwcleaner did...

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

if you hit the certification path, post that, and then do all the same on the other laptop.

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    Could your chrome be corrupted?

The wee men in our house downloaded some virus ridden yoke and it corrupted Chrome even after I got rid of the virus, in the end I just uninstalled and reinstalled chrome and it was fine....

Edit : now I think of it, security essentials didn't pick it up, but adwcleaner did...

I will try uninstalling chrome and reinstalling. That could be it im not sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

So while the dates matches the recent Google certs, that's not the issuer.

So something is acting as a proxy, but I'm not familiar enough with MS Security Essentials to say if that's how their certs appear.
    Security Essentials doesn't have any kind of DPI SSL scanning so it shouldn't be causing this, could easily be some malware.

Karsini wrote: »
    Security Essentials doesn't have any kind of DPI SSL scanning so it shouldn't be causing this, could easily be some malware.

I can't find any refernce to that issuer name, which could suggest it's some random crap for the sake of appearance, and hence malware.

Ok guys so this is what happened, I ran the adwcleaner (which embarrassingly i'd never heard of)

It picked up multiple threats and I cleaned them. I reopened chrome and its working fine again. Must have been malicious software.

The only problem is all of my bookmarks are gone from chrome is there any way of getting these back?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ok guys so this is what happened, I ran the adwcleaner (which embarrassingly i'd never heard of)

It picked up multiple threats and I cleaned them. I reopened chrome and its working fine again. Must have been malicious software.

The only problem is all of my bookmarks are gone from chrome is there any way of getting these back?

Adwcleaner should not have changed your bookmarks, unless there was a URL in the bookmarks that was causing the issue?

Then it's possible it could have deleted a virus ridden link?

By any chance did you have dodgy movie streaming sites in the bookmarks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 timberty

Have you resolved it yet?
    In case you have tried to correct date & time, as well as clean up all history, then the next things you should do is to:

- Clean up cookies & cached files

- Check if your antivirus is blocked SSL connections or not by turning off it temporarily

- Switch to Google's DNS instead of using the default DNS from ISP.

All sorted again thanks for the help guys

Advertisement